Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CrackHoor posted:

Here's a few shots of my '98 240SX, I got it in 2001 and it's never given me any problem, even though I've slacked lately in my car-care habits. The washes & waxes are getting fewer and farther between.

I'm so jealous. The PO of my S14 decided to hit a few things before selling it to me.

Click here for the full 461x615 image.

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

Only modifications are: Z32 front brakes, larger Z32 BMC, stainless brake lines all around, and new 5 lug hubs/bearings on all corners.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr.Peabody posted:

I won't even comment on the exterior but that interior is straight hideous. I can't believe you spent money on progressively making it look even worse. How do you do something so simple as replace the AM/FM tape deck for a CD player and manage not to match your black dashboard?

*Ahh let's see.. yeah those are all nice but I think I should pick something that nothing else in my car will match.. I've got a black dash some black dials.. some white dials.. a grey dial with a red ring.. do you have something in GREEN?

Automotive Insanity: White Gauges After Labor Day

For what it's worth, I think that it's a KA-T and not just an SR20 swap is pretty neat. Although, I'd be a little afraid of driving that thing around without a helmet on-- as close as that roll bar is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Really? The KA is a poo poo truck motor, there's a reason why most people go with SR20's or RB motors.

In my neck of the woods they go with SR20s and RBs because they want to be JDM tyte drifters. The guys at KA-T.org seem to be fairly successful with the KA, though. Certainly it's not the best motor, but if you want to do something a little different or if you don't want to deal with an unknown, imported motor I think the KA-T route is a valid avenue to pursue. Personally, if I had the time and the money I think an LS1 or VQ45 swap would be a boatload of fun.

Edit: KAs are poo poo truck motors and LS1s are dated, push rod, oxcart motors, rite?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 6, 2010

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

The conclusion was: You want the "performance" brake pads, a higher temp brake fluid, and add brake ducting if you plan to track it.

Edit: Why get the NISMO pads at all if you don't have them already? You can probably find a better pad out there than the NISMO pad at the same price, no?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 27, 2010

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
New car: 09 Speed3 GT. Old car: 95 240sx (Now for sale)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

standardtoaster posted:

Me too! I'm keeping it forever and forcing my children to drive it.

Really want to order these plates for my Element:

Nobody take my idea!

I want these plates for my MS3.

Nobody take my idea either!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

Someone needs to shove the 200hp 2.4L kia optima in there somehow

Turbo MZR DISI 2.3 in every Mazda.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

I got new wheels :toot:

But it's still on jackstands because I need to ever-so-slightly trim down the front lugs so that they'll fit flush with the adapters I'm using. Welp,

Where did you pick up your RPF1s? Are there any dealers where you can get an especially good price on them?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

CharlesM posted:

What's the little computer screen for?

It looks like one of those little OBDII scanners that doubles as a trip computer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

azerdude32 posted:

I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

Talk me into it, or tell me I'm an idiot. GO!

You're crazy! Keep the S4 Avant.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The natural cycle: Wash car on Saturday with the understanding that there's no rain in the forecast until Monday; get rained on on Sunday.

And because it's basically spring in Austin, it was also covered in pollen almost immediately.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

hunter x az posted:

Blacked out the rear valence today. Looks sick!

Doing coilovers tomorrow.

Is the rear valence normally color matched on the gen2? On my 09 the valence is just some black-ish ABS.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
All the interns at my company do is read Reddit when they're not working. It seems like a generational thing to me. That or I've just never had enough interest to find a subforum on there that:
1) Interests me
2) Isn't full of more spergy people than SA.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kyon posted:

It's also extremely impractical as a daily driver, more so than any other sports car I can think of. The cabin is tiny and awkward to get into, the rear seats are pretty much useless. The FD shape was originally built in 1992 and it has barely changed since then. Mine is a 2001 model but still has no cupholders, no electric folding mirrors, and no keyless entry. There are no real luxuries in it other than air conditioning (which the previous owner in mine deleted anyway).

I had no idea that any RX7 came with rear seats.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

^^ Looks awesome!!

Here is mine for now, a few minor adjustments in the way of suspension and I should be all set:

I wish Rotiform made a 17x8+45 or something around that offset. I'd put these on my MS3.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

You could always get 17x8 +30

I think that'd start looking pretty mexiflush... :/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Spaced out my rears a bit:

Update on my hunt for 17x8 cast BLQs. Rotiform caters to the hellaflush crowd, would charge $25 per wheel extra to "custom" drill to 5x114.3 (even though their site says otherwise), and don't even carry the +30 offset. The nail in the coffin was that they weigh more than my factory wheel. :(

I think they look great on your car, though!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

hunter x az posted:

Haha... why is your car so high in the front and so low in the back? It looks ridiculous. Jacked up in the photo?

He probably also took off his coilovers?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Idiot race posted:

ok so i just bought this, yes i bought the same car

jdm (yo) gen3 hardtop turbo on silly coilovers that are way too low, loud exhaust and a bunch of other stuff thats going to be removed/changed. So i'm going to break my old one and put all my nice suspension on because i hate these coilovers. Also yes I know the numberplate is in the wrong place im going to put it on the front when I get the bracket.

I've always wanted a 2nd gen MR2. Yours looks great!

Please don't drill your bumper for a license plate. Front license plates suck.

Edit: whoops, meant 2nd gen. Or is there a third generation that isn't the MR-S?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 19, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

economic haircut posted:

Wrapped in Matte White and Fake CF. Looks AWESOME!

Nice tow hook. Are you oversteering into ditches often? :rolleyes:

(Nice car!)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Paul Boz_ posted:

Mismatch? It's the most desirable s2000 interior they produced. What are you talking about?

I don't know what this guy is talking about, but are the gray floor mats standard with that color scheme?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BiRD BoY posted:

A better shot of the new guy:

And both of my cars together:

Any advice for a few stone chips on the sides of the 3? Worth taking to a body shop? I'm going to keep it a few years.

I've got stone chips on my 09 MS3 hood, and on the roof right near the windshield. I just bought a small vial of touch up paint from the local Mazda dealership, but I'm definitely no expert at applying it. I'm sure a body shop could do a pretty good job, but I have no idea how much they would charge.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Washed and waxed my MS3 for the first time in months.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I put some RPF1s on my Speed3 last weekend.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I like it, but I think gold ones would have looked way better :allears:

I totally agree, but the deal I got on these was pretty good and the gold ones don't come up for sale as often.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I am now considering plastidipping my wheels gold.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

No, I mean what is the point of having a "feature" on a car that lets you change the hood gap? That's what seems silly to me. Is there really alternate opinions on how much gap should be under the hood that having twisty things to be able to customize that needed, or is there some kind of practical use of it?

Not everything will fit perfectly. You have these little knobs in order to adjust the panel gap when you put on the hood. Why it came from the factory with such a large gap is another question.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Press Release posted:

Modifications to the Odyssey include a turbocharged, intercooled 3.5-liter V6 engine; six-speed transmission and limited-slip differential from the Acura TL product line; racing suspension and brakes, including 19-inch BBS wheels equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires; and a full competition roll cage.

Huh.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

b0nes posted:

Still better than that puke green that was offered on e46 M3's.

You mean the Phoenix Yellow color you quoted?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

DoLittle posted:

Nice steering wheel!

I lowered the front of the GTV a bit to make it level and installed a 75 Turbo anti-roll bar. Next on the list are 105 series balljoints for the castor rods, yellow Konis that I have laying around and a fire extinguisher on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

How will you fix the extinguisher to the floor? I like to keep one in my car, but it's currently just wedged under a seat. Not the safest or most easiest accessed place for it.

Edit: Beautiful car, BTW.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Okay, cool. I've been thinking about making a bracket that bolts to the seat rail. Tons of Porsche and Miata parts places make things like this, but I haven't found an option for the MS3 yet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's supposed to go on the A-Pillar. And it's also supposed to be anodized in metallic purple.

:rolleyes:

Browsing the JC Whitney catalog, are we?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
That film is very forgiving. I just cut it a little oversized for my MS3 and stuffed it in or trimmed it down with an exacto knife.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

They spelled ecnalubma backwards?

I think this is what you meant.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

drukqs posted:

Yep S52

Most people I've talked to said that 52 is preferrable, its not being worked as hard, requires less maintenance and you have to rev the piss out of it to get that extra oomph anyway.

They could just be flattering me but I don't care.. I love this thing!

Any issue with the rear subframe? Didn't this generation of Z3 chassis have some issue with the welds, or were the M roadster and coupe immune to this?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunbus posted:

why is it so hard to avoid parking blocks and curbs.

Let's not forget extremely steep driveways. That's where I always scrape and I have a stock ride height car. :sigh:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Viggen posted:

That means that someone probably removed the tar-and-tinfoil sound dampeners out of the doors.

Is this a fix to keep the doors from rusting?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Count Freebasie posted:

I had a rented one and was trying to park it in a parking garage in Boston which had the sharpest loving corners to go up and down between decks and I had to INCH that thing around the corners. You can land a 747 on that hood.

I had a similar experience with a rental Camaro convertible, that I was 'upgraded' to, in a Los Angeles parking garage. Never again.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Darchangel posted:

My '70 Cutlass is 210" long, and I don't have any problems maneuvering it around. 'Course, I've been driving it since 1990. It also weighs less, and has a smaller turning circle than a Charger (the front wheels have more room to turn, so it turns sharper), amazingly.

You made me look it up. The 2014 Camaro has a 190" length, and a turning radius of 37.7". But, I'm talking about maneuvering in a cramped and narrow parking garage in a car with terrible visibility. I think everyone will get the hang of where their car is after owning and driving for a while, but as an unfamiliar vehicle it is terrible car stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

salt the fries! posted:

How about the FR-S/BRZ?

Not sure why anyone would buy an automatic, but people do!

I have several coworkers, who are all electrical engineers, who bought automatic BRZs and FRSs. They bought them, because they aren't actually car enthusiasts, and the cars "look cool".

Kuruma banare, or something. I guess.