Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Fight Club: The comedy.

Seeing the previews for this movie really didn't do anything for me. The film looked like a one sided remake of "Liar Lair"

Plot via IMDB: A guy challenges himself to say "yes" to everything for an entire year.

Jim Carrey is cast in the role of Carl Allen. A divorced man who can't seem to get his life to go any where because he is unwilling to do anything. Every time a friend ask him to do something, he makes an excuse or says no. Until it he goes to a cult like "Yes is the new No" meeting and learns essentially the same lesson that Earl Hicky learns in "My Name is Earl": Good deeds = good Karma.

Now, this is a very formulaic movie. You have seen this movie's plot at least a half dozen times by now. Man stuck in life needs to go to social extremes to reclaim it. And honestly most of the jokes are not terrible original either. I felt like I knew how almost every scene was going to end before it was half way over, and knew the punch lines to most of the jokes long before they were delivered.

But we all know that the secret to good comedy is...

timing.

And all of the jokes in this film are delivered masterfully. I can't say that the film was 1h44m of solid laughs, but it was a movie that had lots and lots of scenes that you should get lots of laughs from. Not because the jokes are great jokes, but because they are well done and presented.

Jim Carrey makes solid use of his talents with out being a spaz. He comes across as a fairly normal likable guy who doesn't bend over and talk with his rear end or over act but still makes good use of his famous facial expressions.

Danny Masterson (better known as Hyde from "That 70's show") plays one of Carl's friends. His role for the most part is that of "drinking budy". But lets face it, we would all go drinking with Hyde.

Zoey Deschanel plays the role of Marla Singer... I mean Allison. The polar opposite of Carl, she is a counter-culture girl that steals my heart just like she does in every movie she is in. Not because I like her character so much, but because I would love Zoey no mater what she was playing.

Maybe part of the reason that "life coaching" movies like "Yes Man", "Fight Club", "Bedazzle", and "Brazil" is because I am an office jockey and everyone who works in an office inviroment feels traped in their life from time to time and it's good to see someone break free of that life style even if it's just in fiction. Also, because I have man crushes on Jim Carrey, Ed Norton, Brad Pitt, Brendon Fraser, and Robert DeNiro.

4/5

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I agree. The movie was completely predictable, but I enjoyed it all the same. Jim Carrey strikes a balance between playing the rubber-faced goof ball and the serious lead. Zooey Deschanel is cute, as always, but you can tell that the coke is catching up to her.

We saw it in a movie theater in Korea, which made the experience more enjoyable during the scene with Soo-Mi. Terrence Stamp nails the self-help guru persona, and the ending is just awesome. The movie, though flawed, has its heart in the right place, and you can't fault it for that.

A lot of critics are trashing it, saying it's too similar to Liar, Liar. That's not entirely accurate, and I get the sense that those critics didn't even watch the film.

4/5

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

The advertisements for this flick feel like they've been out since the dawn of time, so it was good to finally see the film to make the demons stop. Like everybody else, I was expecting Liar Liar part two, and I was pleasantly surprised. Jim Carrey's spastic humor is back, though somewhat toned down, after a seemingly long absence. Zoey Deschanel plays her typical role, and does it well. The other characters are silly and add to the comedy of the film. All in all, a good film to see with your family or friends.

4/5

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I have to disagree with the previous reviews, I thought that while the movie had some laughs it seemed very out of touch with reality. Many of the scenes seemed like they were written by the perspective of someone who hasn't done any of these acts. The scene about RedBull was supposed to get some laughs but me and all my friends who were watching knew that RedBull doesn't make you act like that and no one goes to raves on RedBull. There were so many scenes like this in the movie that were just stupid that it really detracted from the movie and made everything about it seem very fake.

2/5