Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheBacon posted:

With cold air and a full exhaust and a tune for it maybe you could get that 20-30hp but not a very cost effective way to get there really

I doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

I doubt it

Ya definitely a stretch but...maybe if you squint real hard when reading the dyno. But ya, I'd expect more in the 10 to maybe pushing 15? range.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The easy solution is to find a CX-5 turbo that's been in a rear end collision and steal the engine out of it

bing bong so simple (not really)

Or just get the 2021 Mazda3 with turbo and AWD.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MA-Horus posted:

Or just get the 2021 Mazda3 with turbo and AWD.

Yeah but I needed a commuter last Sep and couldn't wait (le sigh)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think I saw on the dumbass Mazdaspeed Facebook group that Corksport released a new intake manifold for the MZR engine that had been in the works for years... But I really have no interest in modding my car to bother with that so I don't pay much attention to the aftermarket.

I do sort of secretly want a downpipe and intake for more fun noises, but I suspect that would make the livability of this car even worse than just the NVH from aftermarket engine mounts.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 11, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Woke up early to wash the car for the first time in months and just noticed a gen 2 MS3 cabin air filter in my glovebox which I must've bought by accident

Anyway if anyone wants this, shoot me a pm!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
2017 3 GT with technology package - any way to disable DRLs with the LED headlights?

I've tried the hold brake pedal > set parking brake > running lights on/off 5x > hazards on/off 5x > running lights on/off 5x > release parking brake > release brake pedal method several times without success.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

air- posted:

Long time no see. I have a 2008 MS3 GT with 140k on the body and 70k on this engine (first engine hydrolocked, replaced with a gen2 engine at 70k)

Noticing lower mpg lately and hesitation at WOT similar to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7TwolhCuo

I know I'm overdue for spark plugs, so that's the first thing I'm doing. Was wondering if I should also be considering the injector seals? Seen that pop up while googling for these symptoms.

e: also not planning on installing one step colder plugs since the only power mod I have is SRI

Update: new plugs in and turned out it was a bad ignition coil!

Ended up knocking out some much needed service as well: flushed power steering and transmission fluids, did fuel system decarb service

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What year is that Speed3? The gauges not starting at 6 o’clock is doing me in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Only the first gen 3 (and NC and ND MX-5) had the gauges that start from 6 o'clock which is a shame. The car in the video is a 2nd gen Speed3.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What year is that Speed3? The gauges not starting at 6 o’clock is doing me in.

Loved that in my 08.5. And the little blue accent LEDs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Loved that in my 08.5. And the little blue accent LEDs.

The white gauge needle is also exclusive to the 08.5's!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they're EL? Not LED?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Thanks to some advice from this thread the missus has a ‘17 MAZDA3 with 3000km only! Appreciate everyone who posted with advice.

The car has some sort of warning system that beeps when you’re stopped in traffic. We have figured out how to turn it off, but I’m not sure of the purpose of it?

Apparently Mazda will upgrade the car with CarPlay compatibility at the dealer (we’re in Australia so dealers are slightly less scummy than the US). Has anyone had this done? Is it worth the $300 or so they want for it? Is it something I can do in 5 minutes at home for free?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
People have posted instructions here before. You definitely do need to upgrade the USB port. Then it's a software upgrade.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

slothrop posted:

Thanks to some advice from this thread the missus has a ‘17 MAZDA3 with 3000km only! Appreciate everyone who posted with advice.

The car has some sort of warning system that beeps when you’re stopped in traffic. We have figured out how to turn it off, but I’m not sure of the purpose of it?

Apparently Mazda will upgrade the car with CarPlay compatibility at the dealer (we’re in Australia so dealers are slightly less scummy than the US). Has anyone had this done? Is it worth the $300 or so they want for it? Is it something I can do in 5 minutes at home for free?

I got the dealership to do it on my 2015 Mazda 6, and it's fine, but would be better if it worked wirelessly. Cost me $470, though. I didn't know it was something I could have done.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Charles posted:

People have posted instructions here before. You definitely do need to upgrade the USB port. Then it's a software upgrade.
You have to update the software before you install the hardware, weirdly. I did the install for my Miata and my sister's 3. The hardware was $170 on ebay and it took a couple hours for each car. It's not that bad; the instructions I found online are clear and the dashes for both cars come apart pretty easily.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, unless you're technically impaired or have never pulled apart the interior of a car there's no reason to pay the dealer.

Just finished mine -

Took about 30 minutes to go from fully assembled to what you see there. Most of it is held in with tension clips. Go slow and don't pull too hard, some of the pieces have wiring harnesses attached. Start to finish took about three hours - most of which was spent extending the harness for the 12 pin/8 wire connector that gets reused so I could relocate the USB/SD hub from the cubby hole below the HVAC controls to the storage bin in the center console. If I had retained the original position I probably would have been done in about an hour.

Software is mostly waiting for the update to install, after it starts you need to open and close the driver side door at about 20 minutes to keep the entertainment unit from going to sleep mid-update, otherwise very little to do but wait.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Did you pick up any extra rattles after reassembling that?

I had the dealer do the retrofit on my car (back when it was first available) and I've had a bit of a rattle from somewhere under the CD player since then (only in coarse chip roads and only when the temp goes below zero C but still irritating)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw something somewhere in the instructions saying be sure to wrap something in foam to prevent rattles. I think it was for this.

Edit: I have the memory of an ant so not 100% positive but it was something I was looking at recently.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

Update: new plugs in and turned out it was a bad ignition coil!

Ended up knocking out some much needed service as well: flushed power steering and transmission fluids, did fuel system decarb service

How hard is it to flush the power steering on the MS3? I have an 09.

I've watched a hand full of videos on people doing it on base 3s and it looks pretty simple, although I'll admit it's maintenance I've never even considered doing. I think I'm at about 98,000 miles now, so maybe it couldn't hurt?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

MetaJew posted:

How hard is it to flush the power steering on the MS3? I have an 09.

I've watched a hand full of videos on people doing it on base 3s and it looks pretty simple, although I'll admit it's maintenance I've never even considered doing. I think I'm at about 98,000 miles now, so maybe it couldn't hurt?

DIY shouldn't be hard, I don't have the tools and space anymore. And yeah you should also look at doing transmission fluid if you haven't done that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dissss posted:

Did you pick up any extra rattles after reassembling that?

I had the dealer do the retrofit on my car (back when it was first available) and I've had a bit of a rattle from somewhere under the CD player since then (only in coarse chip roads and only when the temp goes below zero C but still irritating)

I've only driven it about two miles since finishing, haven't detected anything yet. Bought my parts from a Mazda dealer so I got everything including the foam tape but didn't end up using it - I just zip tied the harness to others. I can't imagine hearing a rattle over the road noise from the stock tires.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

air- posted:

DIY shouldn't be hard, I don't have the tools and space anymore. And yeah you should also look at doing transmission fluid if you haven't done that.

Yeah, I've done the transmission fluid several times. I loving hate the smell of gear oil, but that's a different matter. :)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GlenMR posted:

I got the dealership to do it on my 2015 Mazda 6, and it's fine, but would be better if it worked wirelessly. Cost me $470, though. I didn't know it was something I could have done.

2015 6? I have a touring model and it has the old style infotainment that I thought was definitely not android auto upgradeable.

Did the grand touring come with a better system

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

2015 6? I have a touring model and it has the old style infotainment that I thought was definitely not android auto upgradeable.

A casual Google search seems to indicate if your stereo display is recessed in the dashboard (vs the "looks like a tablet sticking up out of the dash" variety) and has the controls directly adjacent to the screen you can't do the upgrade.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Probably just how the country that poster is in deal with model years.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ah. Android auto would be nice and I've considered upgrading to a more modern unit but from what I've read with any aftermarket head unit you lose functionality of the knob.

After dealing with knobless touch screens gently caress that, I love the knob.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Previa_fun posted:

Ah. Android auto would be nice and I've considered upgrading to a more modern unit but from what I've read with any aftermarket head unit you lose functionality of the knob.

After dealing with knobless touch screens gently caress that, I love the knob.

My wife just got a new Kia Optima and the touchscreen is terribad. The menus aren't intuitive and making it touch only is just begging the driver to get into an accident. Mazda taking away touch screen functionality in the newest cars seems bad from a marketing copy perspective but it's probably the most pro-safety move a manufacturer has made since these screen UIs infected the industry. After experiencing The Knob I cannot live without The Knob. A knobless life is a life not worth driving.

Geoj posted:

Yeah, unless you're technically impaired or have never pulled apart the interior of a car there's no reason to pay the dealer.

Just finished mine -

Took about 30 minutes to go from fully assembled to what you see there. Most of it is held in with tension clips. Go slow and don't pull too hard, some of the pieces have wiring harnesses attached. Start to finish took about three hours - most of which was spent extending the harness for the 12 pin/8 wire connector that gets reused so I could relocate the USB/SD hub from the cubby hole below the HVAC controls to the storage bin in the center console. If I had retained the original position I probably would have been done in about an hour.

Software is mostly waiting for the update to install, after it starts you need to open and close the driver side door at about 20 minutes to keep the entertainment unit from going to sleep mid-update, otherwise very little to do but wait.

I also have the hardware and all the tools to do the Android Auto upgrade on mine but haven't because of 50% laziness and 50% fear that I'll introduce a million interior rattles after putting everything back together. Well, I was going to do it one day a while back but couldn't get the software update process to kick off for some reason. This picture didn't really help my resolve to get it over with :negative:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Not too fuckin' bad:

Filled up in Dauphin Island, AL and took that picture in Pine Bluff, AR when I stopped for gas. I didn't bother to double check the fuel consumption by mileage/pump gallons but on board computers tend to be a bit optimistic so I figure 2-3mpg less. Still not bad at all.

The 6 is a really really good road trip car. I end up having to piss before I need to stop for gas.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fabulousity posted:

I also have the hardware and all the tools to do the Android Auto upgrade on mine but haven't because of 50% laziness and 50% fear that I'll introduce a million interior rattles after putting everything back together. Well, I was going to do it one day a while back but couldn't get the software update process to kick off for some reason. This picture didn't really help my resolve to get it over with :negative:

Did you use a freshly formatted in FAT32 USB thumb drive?

A week later I haven't heard any additional rattles and I didn't use any of the foam tape. AA is leaps and bounds better than the stock interface, only downside is you lose the navigation cues in the HUD (if you have one) when using waze or Google maps.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Just filled up the 17 for the first time today for only 20 bucks. After 7 years of premium gas cars it made me do a double-take.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
AA/CP upgrade chat: had a good long drive today (about a half hour at 50 MPH and a two hour round trip on the interstate at 75) and didn't hear any additional rattles. It seems mazda's implication that it will cause rattles are overblown.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 27, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Geoj posted:

Did you use a freshly formatted in FAT32 USB thumb drive?

A week later I haven't heard any additional rattles and I didn't use any of the foam tape. AA is leaps and bounds better than the stock interface, only downside is you lose the navigation cues in the HUD (if you have one) when using waze or Google maps.

Can't remember what went wrong the first time, but this afternoon I tried again and was able to successfully update from 55.00.750 to 70.00.100A and finally to 70.00.367A. It boots up a hell of a lot faster than the 5x version and Bluetooth is a lot snappier so that's nice.

Now just gotta find the gumption to rip apart the dash and install the new hardware.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 1, 2020

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I got the Apple carplay upgrade on my 2017.5 Mazda 6 and I love it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fabulousity posted:

Now just gotta find the gumption to rip apart the dash and install the new hardware.

I too put it off for a long time thinking tearing the dash and center console apart would be a headache but it really wasn't that difficult. There are three screws and two plastic push rivets in the center console and four more screws that hold the dash panels together, everything else uses tension clips. If you're retaining the stock USB hub location it's possible to drill out the plastic retention clips on the non-AA/CP hub which bypasses the need to disassemble the center console.

Also the upgraded hub charges at a much faster rate, about 1.2A per port as opposed to the 250 mA rate on the stock hub.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

:thunk:
Pre-production car? Clicking those unfortunately has the listing as expired.

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

Has anyone replaced the cabin blower in a Gen2 Mazda3? Mine’s flat dead after behaving strangely for about 6 months. I have seen that it’s a big job labor-wise, involving removing most of the lower dash, but I can tackle that if it doesn’t require super specialized tools and such. I’m proud of my nearly 300k mile trooper, and don’t want this to be the fix that does it in, as driving on cool mornings is just unsafe without defrost, and a $2000 in labor job is not going to happen on a car worth half of that in resale. Just looking for some nuggets of wisdom.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a list of trim changes for the 2021 Mazda 3? Obviously there's the 2.5L turbo but looks like the Preferred trim AWD gains moonroof but loses Bose. (I don't care about either of those honestly.) There are still some 2020s on the lot so would like to know the difference.

Is Bose still proprietary crap? Any problems with moonroofs leaking? Mazda seems to build the cars pretty well though. It's the same 2.5L drivetrain they've been using forever, minus the transfer case and rear end I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the cylinder deactivation a problem?