Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I want to try making some sort of collage, transferring prints to canvas, but I've never done it before. Does anyone have any tips? I do most my creative work on the computer, so I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. I'm looking to branch out more, and this seems fun.

It looks like I'd have to do some kind of gel transfer, like this: http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/stepbystep.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking to attempt something like this:

I like the style, and I have some different ideas of where I could take it. It looks like it's a collage on canvas, and then the image of the girl was surprinted over it somehow. I'm not very savvy about different art techniques, so maybe it's really obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Well that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm a print designer, but I want to get into web design because pretty much every job out there wants you to have web skills on top of print design.

I know basic HTML and how to screw around with tables and stuff, but I am by no means confident in web design. What would be the best way to go about teaching myself? There's just so much out there in regards to web design, I'm a little overwhelmed.

Are there any good books or websites I should work with to get my web design up to an acceptable, basic level?

I looked at the resources thread, but didn't really see anything that suited what I'm looking for.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That'll give me something to start off with at least, thanks!

What is the average web designers workflow, anyway? Do you have some basic templates that you modify, like a 2 column, 3 column, etc? Or do you start from scratch each time? Do you make a site in photoshop first, and then figure out how to code it?

I'm going to practice html & css like you say, to start off with. I'm not looking to become a full time web designer anyway, so I think just knowing how to make basic, attractive websites will be enough for me.

Edit: Wow that CSS zen garden thing is pretty amazing, it's cool how much the layout can change just based on the CSS code

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 1, 2009

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there a thread for people to discuss Photoshop, share work, etc? I did a search and didn't see anything.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Pantothenate posted:

There used to be a PS sub-forum here in CC that seemed to have been geared towards Photoshop Phriday work, but most of those just end up coming from GBS. If there's something specific with which you need some help or guidance, you could try making a general Photoshop Help thread yourself. (Just don't try too hard with the name; nothing drives business away quite like a lame headline.)

Haha fair enough. There's nothing in particular I need help with in Photoshop right now, I just do design work in Photoshop all the time and thought it would be cool to discuss techniques and stuff. Maybe I'll make a thread sometime if there is interest in it.

Or is there another forum somewhere that is geared towards more professional Photoshop work? I tried searching google, but it's mostly just high school kids making awesome sigs and wallpaper.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Something like this may work: http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/create-your-own-panorama-planets/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I have a magazine that I started a few months ago, just something for fun to do in my spare time. It's called Lost in Thought, and it's basically a collection of writing, illustration & photography.

I am starting the search for contributors for issue two, and I was thinking of asking for submissions here in CC. Is that sort of thing allowed? Is there a particular thread for this sort of thing?

Just thought I'd ask before I get into too many details.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I also have no idea where to post this, if anyone has a suggestion feel free.

What do professionals use to design DVD menus? I'm interested in giving it a shot, I do DVD cover design for a company and they also need DVD menus done.

So I don't want to make something in iMovie obviously.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks! The current DVD menus look like complete garbage, so I think I'll be able to get away with just making an improved image background and maybe eventually learn how to make more complex ones.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Anyone have any font advice for a female country music band logo? Preferably something free/cheap, since I'm doing this as a favour.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It's not cars, but I had to design a magazine article reviewing one of the new Windows phones and I was able to find lots of media shots on the Microsoft Press site. They had all their phone models, shots from press events, logos, pretty much everything I needed. So I assume it's the same for vehicles and other products.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm trying to teach myself how to do hand lettering / calligraphy in Photoshop, using my tablet. Has anyone found any good resources on this? I've just been messing around with different settings, but I can't get it quite right.

Ideally I'd be able to do something like this: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/charlesborges/sarah-script/

I realize I could just buy the font, but I'm not looking to do exactly that... just that kind of style, if that makes sense.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha fair enough! I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That's a pretty cool little program, thanks for that

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

nas1234567890 posted:

I've got a question about resolution in Adobe Photoshop CS5. I recently realized that one of the pieces I'm working on had a tiny resolution of 72, when I prefer to work with a resolution of 180.

Just curious, but why 180? Generally print resolution is best at 300, so why not work at that? Does it slow down your file to work at high-rez?

In regards to the magazine stock image thing, I generally only credit Rights Managed photos, cheapo royalty free ones I don't bother. You could check with the site directly though and see what they say.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Yip Yips posted:

Also there might be a way to do it with Illustrator's graphing feature, but I've never really used it. Make a 3-section pie chart and plop a white circle in the middle, or use a circle and the pathfinder tool to cut out that part if you need it to be transparent.

That's how I do it, but I'm generally doing actual charts when I do this effect not just a 3-segment circle.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I really need to update my online portfolio. I don't know how to design websites, but I do have my own domain + hosting plan.

What are some good portfolio solutions for someone in my position? I've been using staceyapp.com , but it's a bit of a pain to update.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Travakian posted:

What sort of portfolio?

Sorry you're right, I should have been more clear!

I do graphic design, so I basically just need something to show images of my print work. Really nothing elaborate is necessary, I'd just like something that is easy to update.

Something like this would be fine, I just don't want to pay for the 4ormat service since I already have my own domain & hosting:

http://electricbugle.4ormat.com/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Travakian posted:

You can find/buy some pretty decent Wordpress themes that are made for portfolios. I had one made for my motion graphics portfolio as Wordpress offers one of the easiest backends out there as far as managing and updating content. If you have plat I can PM you my url so you can see how non-Wordpressy it can look with a good theme.

Sure, if you wouldn't mind PMing me that would be great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Beat. posted:

you could put them on a wood table top and just pour resin over them, that would be bad rear end

A friend of mine did that and it turned out awesome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I don't know the context of the sentence, but what does "crushed by thousands of pounds of pressure in an endless night" even mean?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

scarycave posted:

I don't know if this is art but...
I've been thinking of giving a shot at making a really, really, really, really, really, really basic comic for practicing telling stories with images. I've done a few for some mock threads and it got me interested in going for the real deal. I want to try to make some character designs...the thing is...I don't have a clue about developing characters or designing them. I was thinking about starting with character sheets and really simple characters and start with that. I was wondering if anyone knows a tutorial or has some tips for this? If this was a stupid question or it doesn't belong here please ignore this.

There are no stupid questions!

I'm not a cartoonist or anything, but my rule of thumb for anything art related is: practice. You want to come up with character designs? Do a lot, then do some more, then do a few more still. Don't settle on your first idea for a character, start with a simple idea then take it in every direction you can think of.

For example: you have a character named Joe. Is he tall or short? Try him super tall, super short, then in between. Skinny as a rail, as fat as you can make him, shades in between. Find out what you like, what works, what doesn't.

So yeah, the key to developing anything is to explore all your options and then you'll eventually come into something you like.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm working on a DVD cover design, and they say they need some kind of "small parental advisory logo".

Now, when I think of a parental advisory logo, I think of that black & white sticker that used to be on CDs in the 90s. But that's for music, what should I do in this case for a DVD cover? Come up with something original, or just stick with the classic? Or do I need to get permission to use the well-known one?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks, that's a big help! I'm going to toss it back to the client side, tell them that if they want to use the actual logo get their lawyers to figure it out. Otherwise I'll just put an original "don't let kids watch this" message on there somewhere.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Usually places like that have notices on their site saying they do not accept unsolicited material and won't even read it, that way they somewhat cover their asses legally.

But this is probably just us being trolled or something, dumb question.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm a graphic designer, and I haven't really bothered updating my portfolio for ages. What's a good solution for a book I can bring to interviews? Just get something printed on Blurb?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for the replies everyone! I never actually thought about going the binder route, I'll look into that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

schwenz posted:

Am I aloud to solicit for an illustrator in CC or do I need to put that in SAMART?

If you want to hire someone, post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Read the OP though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cyril Sneer posted:

Hmmm. Well since I didn't get a specific answer I'll just ask it anyway.

I recently bought some prints from a local artist I like. Naturally I'd like to frame them in some way. What I'm confused by is whether or not I really need "archival" levels of framing quality. Put another way, I understand if you've purchased an expensive, original piece, obviously you'd go for all the bells and whistles, but is this generally considered standard for framing prints? Are cheaper alternatives acceptable?

Is it going to be in any sort of sunlight? If it's a print you really love and want it to last, I'd recommend getting glass that will protect from fading.

Otherwise the more expensive glass generally just has less glare, museum-quality for example is pretty much invisible in comparison to just standard framing glass.

Keep in mind any kind of custom framing job is going to be at least $150, and it goes up from there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cyril Sneer posted:

Ya, that's what I'm hung up on. I paid $10 for these prints. Hard to justify spending 15x just for the framing part.

Then really just get some off the shelf frame you're happy with.

My wife works at a framing place so right now we're basically framing everything in our house, since she gets everything at cost.

If they're just $10 prints I wouldn't really worry about preserving them... really, you could just buy a duplicate print and keep it in some safe, dark place where it can't get sun damaged. Then if anything ever happens to your display one you can use the backup. Buy a $5 frame and you're still like $200 ahead of doing a custom frame job to preserve the print.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
This was mentioned earlier, but I want to confirm... I do a ton of Photoshop work on my 2011 iMac. I should be using an external drive for a scratch disc? Anything in particular?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

redcheval posted:

Anyone have experience tracking down/hiring a voice actor for a video voice over? I'm probably going to need to dig one up for a work project but I'm not sure where to look, and I'm always hesitant to join those 'post your job for free and start looking for people NOW!' websites — just not familiar with them or the process.

I saw someone advertising their services as a voice actor here on the forum actually:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487&pagenumber=4

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Does anyone else have problems browsing iStock? Half the time when I search something it won't load the results, or it will only load one page and not let me go to the next.

It's been this way for ages.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Here's a question for graphic designers/photographers/illustrators:

How do you present your portfolio that you bring to interviews? Do you have a printed book, an iPad, something else? I really need to update mine, just looking at all my options.

Most photographers who come into my studio have big fancy books made up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So what sites do people use for their portfolios? I'm looking for something simple. I don't mind Cargo, but I'm curious what else is out there.

I do have my own domain + hosting, so I could do something myself. I'm just a print designer, so I don't really want to create a portfolio site from scratch. I could deal with a template I could edit though, I do know some HTML + CSS

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The Dave posted:

In my experience, when I'm hiring a designer, I don't really care about the design of their site. I'm just looking to get to their portfolio and see examples as quickly as possible. If I was job hunting I would probably just flesh out a behance profile and send that with my resume.

Yeah I'm the same way when hiring illustrators... nothing drives me crazier than a website that is overly complicated or doesn't work.

So yeah I was debating between Cargo, Behance, stuff like that... just figured I'd ask here before dropping the money.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Going off the topic of portfolios... does anyone know how a tshirt like this is printed?

I thought shirts had to be vector, I've always wondered how you do something with a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Toriori posted:

I need help with pricing my art. Several people have been asking me lately about buying my pieces, usually about 18"x24" on average, watercolour and ink on watercolour paper, unframed. Example below of something I have two people already asking to buy...but I'm always so scared I'll either low ball myself or say a price and get a "that's too expensive!". I sell a lot of art in the summer, particularly at one event but those are smaller pieces and it's usually a "eh, how about $30?". I guess I don't have the confidence to price work and I'm scared people will feel like the price I do say is too much. Do you all have some system you go by?

I don't paint, so I can't give you advice from that end, but I'd say start by figuring out roughly how long you spent on the piece and how much your materials cost. How much is that time, thought & materials worth to you?

That being said, personally I don't think I'd spend too much on unframed watercolour pieces, as opposed to a similar piece that would be done on canvas in a way that I could display it more easily.