Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Because (western) popular music was defined by bands like The Rolling Stones and The Beatles who made a point of transitioning into writing and performing their own music in direct contrast to the factory line pop singers of the time.

Perhaps it was defined so for about three weeks in 1969, but generally that approach is tedious and unproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Koaxke posted:

What are some experimental/avant garde albums that are similar to Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica and Frank Zappa's We're Only in it for the Money?

Also, I'm still looking for psychedelic sounding bands

The Red Krayola-Parable of Arable Land is a psychedelic essential, here's two samples from the album:
Parable of Arable Land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZahE33Q6s
War Sucks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D142KYxc6_0

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Any recommendations for bands similar to Cloud Nothings?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

dokomoy posted:

Any recommendations for bands similar to Cloud Nothings?

Try Yuck for the more lofi distorty stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7vyrFhFE8

Or Real Estate for less distortion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HWcViTXdYc

Also that Parable of Arable Land (so fun to say out loud) is pretty cool, I don't really know much psychedelic stuff outside of like, olivia tremor...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've been trying to find music that helps psyche you up. Energetic, upbeat and all that. Any suggestions?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Depends what you're into Anatharon. Stuff like Dragonforce would be the obvious Power Metal answer. But Mick Foley is sorta famous for listening to Tori Amos' "Winter" before a match, saying it's so beautiful it makes him want to destroy stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Anatharon posted:

I've been trying to find music that helps psyche you up. Energetic, upbeat and all that. Any suggestions?

Fang Island.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Anatharon posted:

Sort of similar to this, I'm starting to get into New Wave. I went through an extensive Talking Heads phase two years ago so I'm good with Byrne & Company, but I'm specifically looking for songs that are energetic, upbeat, and... well, all that.

Specifically, I'm looking for songs close to Modern English - I'll Melt With You, Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out, Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding), and a-ha - Take On Me. (Not obscure songs by any means but I'm also responding to Anatharon so I feel like I should include links.)

Basic drum rhythms, fast tempos, and possibly fast-moving bass players or gratuitous amounts of synthesizers. I'm running around Wikipedia's list of New Wave artists on Spotify right now, but if you were going to make a mix tape similar to the songs I've posted, what would you put on it?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

FadingChord posted:

Basic drum rhythms, fast tempos, and possibly fast-moving bass players or gratuitous amounts of synthesizers. I'm running around Wikipedia's list of New Wave artists on Spotify right now, but if you were going to make a mix tape similar to the songs I've posted, what would you put on it?

Human League, "Fascination" and "Don't You want Me," pretty much any Cars song you hear on the radio

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Try this: Flogging Molly-Devil's Dance Floor.

FadingChord posted:

Sort of similar to this, I'm starting to get into New Wave. I went through an extensive Talking Heads phase two years ago so I'm good with Byrne & Company, but I'm specifically looking for songs that are energetic, upbeat, and... well, all that.

Specifically, I'm looking for songs close to Modern English - I'll Melt With You, Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out, Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding), and a-ha - Take On Me. (Not obscure songs by any means but I'm also responding to Anatharon so I feel like I should include links.)

Pretty much anything by The Cure and The Sounds, and seconding The Cars.
Some random stuff in the ballpark of what you're looking for:
The Cure-Just Like Heaven, The Sounds-No One Sleeps When I'm Awake, Kaiser Chiefs-Ruby, Shiny Toy Guns-Le Disko, The Bravery-An Honest Mistake, and a new wave classic: Video Killed the Radio Star

fungus_amungus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm looking for some folk rock recommendations along the lines of Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny's solo stuff. I have listened to most of the stuff that sites like last.fm recommend (Richard and Linda Thompson, The Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Fotheringay, Albion Band, etc).

Those all fall into a very specific English and Celtic inspired genre subset. I want to expand into other bands that retain that rock inspired, but folk at it's core style that doesn't necessarily fall into the aforementioned English/Irish stuff.

Edit: I would also take some alt-country recommendations. There are probably more bands of this genre that I haven't explored as compared to the previously mentioned stuff. I've basically only listened to early Wilco and Uncle Tupelo.

fungus_amungus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FadingChord posted:

Blondie and Devo are the other two really good New Wave bands after Talking Heads. Pick up of Devo's "Freedom of Choice" if you want their poppier synth-heavy stuff, and check out Blondie's "Parallel Lines" for a little rockier approach to new wave.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

FadingChord posted:

Not all of these are synthy but whatever, you should listen to them anyway because they're all really good

Gary Numan, Squeeze, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Orange Juice, Adam and the Ants, Ultravox, XTC, Aztec Camera, Human Sexual Response, Sparks (late 70s and 80s material, their early stuff is Glam Rock)

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2012

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Fang Island.

Everyone just jumping around and hive giving high fiving each other!

Edit: Thanks phone.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 20, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

fungus_amungus posted:

I'm looking for some folk rock recommendations along the lines of Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny's solo stuff. I have listened to most of the stuff that sites like last.fm recommend (Richard and Linda Thompson, The Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Fotheringay, Albion Band, etc).

Those all fall into a very specific English and Celtic inspired genre subset. I want to expand into other bands that retain that rock inspired, but folk at it's core style that doesn't necessarily fall into the aforementioned English/Irish stuff.

You'll like at least some Strawbs. They started out pure folk and gradually included more rock elements until they were a (not especially good) prog rock band. From the Witchwood is my favorite by them—it's a great transitional album, still featuring all the interesting folk instrumentation they'd soon abandon, plus some excellent piano work by a pre-Yes Rick Wakeman.

Forest are surprisingly obscure considering how loving fantastic they were. I love Full Circle in its entirety, but I have to single out Graveyard as perhaps the best song they ever did.

Also - Fresh Maggots

Edit: I just reread that and realized you're not looking for English/Irish. Sorry about that.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 20, 2012

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

The Go! Team

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Everyone just jumping around and hive giving high fiving each other!

Edit: Thanks phone.

If you like them then how about Adebisi Shank or The loving Champs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hooplah posted:

Adebisi Shank
Of all things I've seen in this thread, a band with an Oz-themed name is not one I expected

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XZm0jYXZ_2I

Nina Simone - Little Sugar in my Bowl

Would like recommendations of similar quality and theme.

Hyrule Mafia
Nov 9, 2009
Wrong thread.

Hyrule Mafia fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2012

fungus_amungus
Feb 13, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

You'll like at least some Strawbs. They started out pure folk and gradually included more rock elements until they were a (not especially good) prog rock band. From the Witchwood is my favorite by them—it's a great transitional album, still featuring all the interesting folk instrumentation they'd soon abandon, plus some excellent piano work by a pre-Yes Rick Wakeman.

Forest are surprisingly obscure considering how loving fantastic they were. I love Full Circle in its entirety, but I have to single out Graveyard as perhaps the best song they ever did.

Also - Fresh Maggots

Edit: I just reread that and realized you're not looking for English/Irish. Sorry about that.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the English/Irish inspired stuff and I definitely appreciate your contributions. I just thought I had mostly exhausted it. I'm glad I've got some more stuff to check out. Thanks!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Anatharon posted:

Me too! Especially something similar to The Asteroids Galaxy Tour's Heart Attack (Manhattan Clique Remix). I think I already own most of The Go! Team's albums.

Inspector_71 posted:

Fang Island.
That's awesome!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FadingChord posted:

:words:

Inspector_71 posted:

Fang Island.

Thank you, those were good suggestions.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ras Het posted:

Perhaps it was defined so for about three weeks in 1969, but generally that approach is tedious and unproductive.

What do you mean?

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks
"This is dayvan cowboy from our new alboum the campfire headphase. we're the boards of canada. check us out. or don't. whatever."

It's still a good song though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

What do you mean?

Since I second his opinion, I'll chime in and say that it's an unproductive, rockist baby boomer mentality that's tied to a specific moment in pop music history and probably needs to go the way of the buffalo. I mean, these dudes wrote a bunch of songs that are better and more memorable than the entire Beatles songbook without bringing the entire "performer writing their own material" construct into it. And on the other hand, a performer can often create the most enduring or definitive version of a song that they had nothing to do with the composition of.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

What do you mean?

Much (most?) of absolutely definitive pop music wasn't written by the performers, and generally the auteur idea leads to utter banality in the mainstream narrative.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Any recommendations for hip-hop with the a similar feel to The Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Since I second his opinion, I'll chime in and say that it's an unproductive, rockist baby boomer mentality that's tied to a specific moment in pop music history and probably needs to go the way of the buffalo. I mean, these dudes wrote a bunch of songs that are better and more memorable than the entire Beatles songbook without bringing the entire "performer writing their own material" construct into it. And on the other hand, a performer can often create the most enduring or definitive version of a song that they had nothing to do with the composition of.
Definitely a worthwhile topic, but let's take this discussion to a separate thread.

edit:

nice mattimer posted:

"This is dayvan cowboy from our new alboum the campfire headphase. we're the boards of canada. check us out. or don't. whatever."

It's still a good song though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8
Who is this in reply to?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Selavi posted:

Any recommendations for hip-hop with the a similar feel to The Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc?

Jungle Brothers, Brand Nubian, Souls of Mischief

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
Looking to get into more early soul/R&B though definitely interested in the more soul side of things. I have best of Ray Charles, his modern sounds of country album, Otis Redding Sings soul ballads and thats pretty much it. Also got some Sam cooke who is kick rear end. Don't know where to start with Aretha Franklin or anyone else for that matter. thanks

Also fungus_amungus: Lucero. One of my favorite. Alt-country I guess but more rock. Really their songs run the spectrum from Jawbreaker covers to some early bluegrass to just some good old country story telling. Here's probably their biggest single and a quintessential song nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_N3bTeuWc

RaoulDuke fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 24, 2012

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

RaoulDuke posted:

Looking to get into more early soul/R&B though definitely interested in the more soul side of things. I have best of Ray Charles, his modern sounds of country album, Otis Redding Sings soul ballads and thats pretty much it. Also got some Sam cooke who is kick rear end. Don't know where to start with Aretha Franklin or anyone else for that matter. thanks

Get the Stax/Volt Complete Singles '59-'68 box set. It's exhaustive and has nearly 300 songs which probably won't be too much if you've already wet your feet. It's primarily Memphis soul but it kind of crosses over into Southern soul from time to time too.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Ras Het posted:

Much (most?) of absolutely definitive pop music wasn't written by the performers, and generally the auteur idea leads to utter banality in the mainstream narrative.

It seems to me that in rejecting rockist orthodoxy you have rather overshot into the view that rock music isn't valid at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

RaoulDuke posted:

Yeah, Stax/Volt singles is usually the default answer but there's also a lot of soul outside of that. I really like the SSS Records collection called Shake What You Brought and to name a few individual artists you might want to check out Syl Johnson, Tony Borders, Betty Wright, Betty Everett, Laverne Baker, Willie West... the list is pretty much infinite.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

FartsDomino posted:

Yeah, Stax/Volt singles is usually the default answer but there's also a lot of soul outside of that. I really like the SSS Records collection called Shake What You Brought and to name a few individual artists you might want to check out Syl Johnson, Tony Borders, Betty Wright, Betty Everett, Laverne Baker, Willie West... the list is pretty much infinite.

Totally second the Stax/Volt singles. Go for the complete collection, there's tons of quality material. I'd also recommend a few of the massive Motown singles collections (they really are quite behemoth, I don't think I've ever attempted to listen to more than a few dozen songs at a time). Compilations seem like they're probably pretty decent jumping off points for finding more soul musicians you'd like. For Otis Redding, I'd also recommend "Complete & Unbelieveable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul" and "In Person at the Whiskey a Go Go".

Selavi posted:

Beisde the stuff that's already been mentioned, I'd say Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf (they only cut one album, "Big Shots"), Digable Planets, maybe KMD. Also, your milage may vary, but I also really like a lot of the groups associated with the Native Tongues.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 25, 2012

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Koaxke posted:

Also, I'm still looking for psychedelic sounding bands that have a good organist (possibly with classical training?) such as The Doors and West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

I found what I was looking for. If anyone is interested check out The Graham Bond Organization, especially the album The Sound of '65.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I downloaded some comp, "Deep and Dirty New Orleans funk" or something like that, lotta Eddie Bo, Meters kinda stuff, anything similar? I love the gritty production. I think I prefer instrumental stuff generally but some of the vocalists on this are truly amazing.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Speaking of New Orleans, any recommendations for this style of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZhBKZhmT4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLDB99D1FF9AC2AABA

I tried looking into more Trombone Shorty songs but the pop guest vocalists and slower songs don't do it for me.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some more songs like Elvis's In The Ghetto?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have been hooked on Jethro Tull's early work. Basically the first three albums. (Don't get me wrong, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick are awesome but off-topic. Later stuff doesn't do it for me.)

Favourite tracks include: Inside, Living in the Past, Back to the Family, Beggar's Farm, Nothing is Easy.

Where can I find more uh... upbeat blues jazz rock? Needless to say I like the flute as a lead instrument.

e: Perhaps more guidance is in order: I'm learning the bass guitar and I really like the composition in this early Tull stuff. I suppose a good rhythm section is a must.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 28, 2012