Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm specifically looking for music with heavy trombone presence. I've been listening to a little Kai Winding and Mingus, and I love how sick and quasi-metal good bass brass licks can be. Any recs? Modern or vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've only started listening to Fred Wesley so far but oh my god, this dude rips. Outrageous licks. Excited to try out the others! Thank you!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

maybe the rapture

if you like the rapture i can recommend a lot more based on that

I'm not the guy you're responding to, but I love The Rapture, and am trying to get into dance, modern funk, and house music like it. I already love Leon Vynehall, Against All Logic, and Yves Tumor, so I would love any recommendations to help expand my palette, new or old. I love these specific artists, but I know nothing of House as a genre as a whole.

On a more niche level, I loving love the albums Black Terry Cat and Magic Trix by Xenia Rubinos, if someone can rec any music with off kilter vocals and groovy, syncopated rhythms like that to me, I'd be hella grateful. Thank you!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone recommend an artist or album with production similar to Stankonia? I love the hits of course, but the entire album's sound hits super hard for me. I'm already a fan of Killer Mike and Run the Jewels when it comes to flashy ATL rap, but I'd appreciate any other recommendation, hip-hop or otherwise. Especially if it sounds like Toilet Tisha or Stanklove: that mix of melancholy and groovy is super killer to me.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry for not replying sooner, my computer died the day after I posted. I haven't listened to either of those classic Houston artists, and I just started listening to that Goodie Mob album, which I really dig; the bass and percussion are super smooth.

I have a bit to dig through. Thanks for responding!

E: Holy poo poo the production of "Diamonds & Wood" is cold as gently caress, that's that groovy poo poo I'm about. Thank you!

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 8, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Narrative songs

So my taste is on the more theatre-kid side, but I'm also a fan of musical narrative. Alongside the Marina recommendation, I would definitely recommend The Scissor Sisters. They are super pop-y, but they very catchy, have campy melodies, and they're very fun to vibe to as their song structure evolves. All their albums are quality, but for you I'd specifically recommend their first two: Self titled and Ta-Dah (though I think Night Work is their best album). While they're not musical-esque in that they specifically have a plot, they're musical-esque in that they have strong, evolving hooks, and a theatrical sense of humor.

If you want to feel like a hipster but still want a fun, story-based narrative, I'd recommend The Decemberists as well. Specifically, The Mariner's Revenge and The Rake's Song. Those are folksy, early 2010s, straight up plot songs, and are very fun.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This might be kind of vague, but can someone offer me some modern bands (2010 at earliest) to check out that are Megadeth-esque? I just want some modern bands that have awesome riffing, but also aren't afraid to be goofy and campy in their presentation. I want some more music that helps pump the blood and raise the endorphins.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

are you looking for thrash specifically or do you just want riffs and camp

I'm open to non-thrash suggestions, but I'm down to avoid power metal. Not because I don't like it, but because I know that's essentially what the entire genre is lol

Gonna check out those other suggestions too, thanks!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been re-listening to Blood Lust and Mind Control by Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats and it's really scratching an itch I've been having. Can someone recommend me any cool 70s metal/Doom-y inspired stuff from the past couple years? I'd really appreciate expanding my knowledge of this genre.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So my one of my favorite pop groups of all time are The Scissors Sisters, particularly their albums up to Night Work--which is their magnum opus--though Magic Hour has some bangers. Can anyone recommend some pop/rock/alt groups post 2013 that hit that perfect level of camp and legitimate groove? I apologize if that's vague, it's just that their specific brand of theatricality hits close to my heart.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hooplah posted:

instantly thought of mika. same time period, vaguely similar style. sorry if you specifically asking for newer stuff, i'm not aware of anyone still doing similar things. seemed to really be a product of that time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6md5RSnVUuo

I am specifically looking for post-2013 stuff, but I've only heard of that Grace Kelly hit by mika, so I have no qualm with exploring him further as well. Thank you!.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I hope this isn't too subjective of a request, but can anyone point me towards any bands or songs or albums that are both funky and moody/somber, with maybe a heavier emphasis on the latter? Three specific songs I've been loving are "I Want Your Love" By Chic, "Here But I'm Gone" by Curtis Mayfield, and "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic.

I don't care for any specific era of music or anything like that, but I love that combination of heavy groove and melancholy tone, and I'm interested in exploring that space more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGc3dtxsXFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZzFwR4rVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I'm a huge fan of The Mars Volta and ATDI in general, but I've been re-listening to The Bedlam in Goliath today, and I forgot just how much I loved this specific album. Can anyone give recommendations for other artists or albums that go as ham with editing effects and percussion as tracks like "Goliath", "Cavalettas", and "Askepios" do?

Additionally, great bass is optional, but appreciated.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 19, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been trying to find music for a morning playlist to get me moving, and I've really found joy in 70s funk and soul. I was listening to a Spotify radio of 360 Degrees of Billy Paul, and "It's A Shame" by The Spinners came on, and that's exactly the vibe I'm interested in. Can people recommend any of their favorite songs or artists which are on the cusp of 70s Funk and R&B? I want something a little livelier than Bloodstone, but stuff more soulful than disco, if that makes sense. Sorry if that's a wishy-washy request, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to talking about music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZP18U5VyY

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

marjorie posted:

I'd recommend digging through some compilation albums of that era - the major labels like Stax and Atlantic usually release a bunch, though to be fair I'm more well-versed in soul than funk. Here's one that maybe has some lesser known artists since it's regional, should have some songs on it you'd vibe with:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lx6IeC6JR308-PPtwDQ3BQkGqPtALkyYw

Dude, thanks for the link, I'm gonna give it a listen today! I've never really sought out compilations specifically, but that's a really cool way to discover music, especially considering the regional factor you pointed out; I'll have to be more open to seeking those out.

I know I said I'm not about Bloodstone, but what kind of Soul do you enjoy? I tend to like more driving, groovy music, but I'd be interested in expanding my palate toward that genre's direction as well.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just spent a bit geeking out with a friend about how much we love Metallica's Call of Ktulu, and I was wondering if any of y'all would be willing to share any instrumental (or heavily instrumental) songs y'all like that have a similar sense of gloom and foreboding.

Genre isn't super important to me, but I'm currently obsessing with how much that song captures such a specific, evil, maybe even tragic vibe.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This might be a niche request, but can anyone recommend any good rock bands from Prague? I have a friend who knew I loved Prog Rock for years, but yesterday they revealed to me that, until very recently, they thought I was saying that I loved "Prague Rock", so I thought it would be fun to make a playlist with good Prague rock bands as a light roast.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just listened to the Type-O Negative cover of "Angry Inch" from Hedwig and the Angry Inch and I found it extremely charming.

Does anyone else have any other musical covers they'd be willing to share? Genre doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm excited to listen to the Nightwish version of Phantom, and I had no idea PYF existed.

Sorry for cluttering the thread, and thank you for the suggestions!