Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I like a shitload of different stuff, and I'm always trying to find good music. Just recently I've found some good stuff through iTunes Genius recommendations, and I'm looking to find stuff in a similar vein.

Mainly:
Random Firl by Late of the Pier (but not their other songs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PY...player_embedded
Sleepyhead by Passion Pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds
Someone Great by LCD Soundsystem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0 (although again not really their other stuff)
I guess also The Avalanches are in a slightly similar vein, but not really, though I do like them.

I don't know quite how to classify this sort of stuff exactly, I guess electronic pop but it's not quite as simple as that, as I'm looking for stuff with an interesting and unusual sound.

I'll probably be hitting up this thread with some other requests for other kinds of stuff too. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well actually I was basing my dislike of Late of the Pier's other stuff on itunes samples, but after listening on youtube the rest of the album seems pretty good. I do like Hot Chip and MGMT, not so keen on Royksopp since it's all a bit samey. Also not so keen on Simian mobile disco except "The Hustler", since it's all just a bit too synthy and derivative. It's a real turnoff when I can hear a synth sound that's one of the really basic ones from a really popular Roland synth or whatever, it just seems lazy.

I will check out the others you've mentioned though, and probably will by the LotP album, thanks a lot. Also if you have any recommendations for standout tracks particularly, or if anybody else has similar recommendations that'd be great.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Heh, well they had a couple of good songs, but nah, too 80s. If it gives anybody more of an idea one of my favourite acts is the Prodigy, I like interesting beats/breaks a lot.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cyril Sneer posted:

See my above post. Someone Great sounds very different, IMO.

Thanks, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Vannaroth posted:

I'm just recently dabbling in electronic music and would really appreciate any recommendations along the same lines as Groove Armada, The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads etc. I know next to nothing about electronic music and its subgenres so these groups are really the only reference I can give you guys to score some recommendations :shobon:

You've hit upon some of the better ones there. I recommend:
Hot Chip - Good tracks are "Over and over", Ready for the floor, Touch too much and One pure thought to name a few.

The Postal Service, particularly Brand new colony.

Lemon Jelly for some nice relaxing stuff (although not necessarily the slower more ambient electronic music.

Leftfield have some great tracks, with Phat Planet and Storm 3000, two of my favourites.

Faithless have some amazing, classic dance tracks, most notably Insomnia and God is a DJ.

Mint Royale are another good one, you may well have heard their version of Singing in the rain but they have other good songs too, such as I don't care and My heart is beating fast.

If drum and bass is more your thing, you can't get much better than Roni Size. Pretty much anything off the albums Touching down and In the mode

That should keep you going :)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oz Fox posted:

I've been on a bit of a britpop kick recently, specifically the early Blur/Oasis albums. What have ya got?

The Charlatans,
Doves,
Supergrass,
Pulp.

Good places to start.