Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
JOB AVAILABLE IN MINNESOTA

Application Support Engineer
This role is in the Product org of a medium-sized company in the flagship SaaS fintech application. This fits inbetween our service team and our development team to help drive solutions for the platform. You very rarely work with clients, instead mostly triaging issues and teeing up issues by working across MongoDB, the source code, and our monitoring tools.

We have a sub-team that builds automated tools for service as a 100% development team as well as a sub-team that does Dev-ops work around monitoring across the application, CICD pipeline, among other Dev-Opsy stuff. We expect any new hire to be working on one of these teams at least part-time after 6 or so months, so you will be doing more than just working on problem reports.

This is open because we just moved one of our senior engineers to Dev-Ops full time. We are very open that we want this role to be a pipeline to software engineering, Dev-Ops, or Product Management so its a good role for someone who has those skills but trying to break into the industry.

It's a pretty typical 40 hour week job. Down the line we do expect some on-call work, but we're usually pretty good at compensating off-hours work.

Requirements

A combination of:
• Experience with Java, C#, among other modern languages (required)
• SQL and DBA Systems Experience
• Operations or Systems Administration Skills
• Cloud Computing Experience (Azure, AWS, etc)
• SaaS Networking Experience
• Big Data and Data Analytic tools and design

Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, IT, or equivalent. Combination of relevant education and experience may be considered in the place of the Bachelor’s Degree.
• 1-3+ years professional experience in a software or IT environment.

We would also consider hiring in at Senior level for those with that level experience.

PM me or email me at <username>@gmail.com

Job is in Minneapolis, we can be flexible with relocation but person has to be located here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lockback posted:

JOB AVAILABLE IN MINNESOTA

Application Support Engineer
This role is in the Product org of a medium-sized company in the flagship SaaS fintech application. This fits inbetween our service team and our development team to help drive solutions for the platform. You very rarely work with clients, instead mostly triaging issues and teeing up issues by working across MongoDB, the source code, and our monitoring tools.

We have a sub-team that builds automated tools for service as a 100% development team as well as a sub-team that does Dev-ops work around monitoring across the application, CICD pipeline, among other Dev-Opsy stuff. We expect any new hire to be working on one of these teams at least part-time after 6 or so months, so you will be doing more than just working on problem reports.

This is open because we just moved one of our senior engineers to Dev-Ops full time. We are very open that we want this role to be a pipeline to software engineering, Dev-Ops, or Product Management so its a good role for someone who has those skills but trying to break into the industry.

It's a pretty typical 40 hour week job. Down the line we do expect some on-call work, but we're usually pretty good at compensating off-hours work.

Requirements

A combination of:
• Experience with Java, C#, among other modern languages (required)
• SQL and DBA Systems Experience
• Operations or Systems Administration Skills
• Cloud Computing Experience (Azure, AWS, etc)
• SaaS Networking Experience
• Big Data and Data Analytic tools and design

Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, IT, or equivalent. Combination of relevant education and experience may be considered in the place of the Bachelor’s Degree.
• 1-3+ years professional experience in a software or IT environment.

We would also consider hiring in at Senior level for those with that level experience.

PM me or email me at <username>@gmail.com

Job is in Minneapolis, we can be flexible with relocation but person has to be located here.

This position re-opened for any MN goons or people looking to relocate. No remote option at this time, sorry.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

I'm in the UK, I would like to say I am a web dev but I'm not even sure any more. Due to long term chronic illness I have been on state disability support. I'm 32, I've been out of work since I was 23. I attended university but due to my illness I never got a degree. I still managed to land a job and worked and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have kept my skills current, when I left the industry I worked nearly exclusively in php and specifically drupal sites. I have kept learning new things I built branching out into javascript/node expanding my php into laravel and your standard front end framework poo poo, I would do this regardless because I am so bored and I do one day dream of returning to work and having a sense of dignity and self sufficiency, but there is one niggling worry that grows month by month in the back of my mind.

Has this boat already sailed? All I get from friends both in and out of the industry is reassurances, promises of putting in a good word at companies or help meeting the right people. Which is very nice to hear, and I'm sure they mean well, but I need the cold hard goon truth to make it mean anything. Am I hosed? Will no amount of skills work and portfolio creations/freebie poo poo fill the colossal gap in my resume and lack of tangible degree and should I just accept it now and start prepping my customer services smile so I can get good boy points while I scan people's groceries? I need to either put my mind at rest that there is still a goal at the end of this, or make my peace with opportunities lost.

If you're in London keep an eye out here as I have a team out there I occasionally hire into and your background would be a solid fit. I mean, I would probably consider you Entry level (or maybe a step above) but you can climb ladders fast if you have skills. Yeah you'd be doing a job potentially next to 22 year olds but you wouldn't be the first person who I've worked with/hired that started a new career at 30 (or 40 or 50).

If you have skills you absolutely can get back in there, you'll just need to start closer to the bottom than if you had been working this last decade. But that's not as bad of a thing as it sounds.

I have no reason to try to make you feel better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You interested in relocating or staying in NoCal?

Lockback fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 24, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

high six posted:

I'm back on the market as I've gotten bored and don't want to stagnate in my current position.

Experience: I've got broad experience over IT, having been a sysadmin (Both Windows and Linux), done networking, I do development on the side sometimes and a fair amount of code debugging for our devs at my current job, and a lot of scripting (Python, Powershell, C#). Currently I work at Microsoft in Azure support.

What I'm looking for: Looking for something that lets me get further into automation. I'd like to get to work with stuff like Ansible, Terraform, containers, and put my scripting/development skills to work. I've done some of this on my own but want to develop those skills further. Normally I've been interested in jobs titled something like "Site Reliability Engineer" or in the general "Devops" area. Would also be interested in a security-focused position, too.

Where I live: Western North Carolina

Where I'm looking: Would prefer remote, but open to relocating pretty much anywhere for the right job.

When can I start: Two weeks, if it's remote. Longer if I'd have to relocate.

What I really want: Not likely to switch jobs unless there's a decent bump in pay or the position is REALLY awesome

Email: noasdfghj12345678@gmail.com

Nice, got a PM coming your way.

Edit: poo poo no I don't, give lowtax more spine money and get PMs. Or email me at /myusername/ @gmail.com

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

People mostly give up their citizenship because the foreign-earned exemption only applies to earned income, and not passive income like investments. If your income is all earned, then the point of the tax treaties is to avoid being taxed disjointly in both places on the same income. You may pay both governments, but it shouldn’t total more than what you would have paid if being taxed by just the government with the highest tax rate. The summary you link basically describes this.

You're talking about foreign tax credit, and only some taxes are applicable to get that credit. If you are making significantly over 100k you are almost always going to be paying more taxes than just the higher government rate. There are ways you can try to get around this with accounting tricks, but it's not super easy. US is kind of peculiar in that it punishes ex-pats who make a bunch of foreign income.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bus hustler posted:

i actually understand business better than this post but not to poo poo on them too hard but given their business model is entirely rent seeking and they had to be loving dragged away from ruining their entire business model for more profit why would anyone feel comfortable going to work for them?

first in last out and they already showed they'll drop cargo at literally the first sign of trouble. plenty of jobs worked with employees to keep them on the books especially during the only time in this country's history when there was a robust safety net for furloughed employees.

just spitballing. and why are they not preferencing laid off employees to rehire? I understand some goons are desperate but this is the one forum where you don't have suck corporate rear end in a top hat.

Who says they don't have that preference? I can all but guarantee that even in this year those types of roles that were listed above all found jobs in 9 months.

Also, this is assuming the same roles that were laid off were the ones they are hiring now. Since they just got their Series E I am assuming their growth strategy might have been different than the one they put together over a year ago.

If your opinion is you should never work for a company that has ever done layoffs in any capacity more power to you but you are shutting yourself off from 90% of the open jobs, probably 98% in the tech sector.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

My baby IT position is now posted for applications: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/NET1...bf-274b3e5ae24d

Let me know if you have any questions. Salary range is $40 - 45k.

Just want to say this looks like an awesome stepping stone job for someone and is the kind of thing that can actively change someone's life for the better. Good on you guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Typically IT UK salaries are way lower than US for a variety of reasons. Just because the job is 100k+ in the US does not mean it will be in the UK.

That said, there are paths to emigrate reasonably easily even if the employer doesn't want to pay for it. US->UK isn't too bad relative to other "immigrate to western country" paths.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

looking for UK goons

Who we are: Financial Software company based in the US

Where are we looking: London, though the job is mostly WFH. Normal hours, down the line on-call shifts but we're pretty rarely paged.

Position: Support/Devops/Monitoring/Software Janitor

Looking for someone to join the software engineering group as a support engineer, it's hybrid monitoring/devops/some opportunity for tool development. This role will keep an eye on our health metrics, K8s deploys, various alerts and dashboards and respond appropriately, as well as play in our Backend API playground to fix poo poo when needed. There is a component of supporting our service team so you need to be able to explain techy things to non or semi-techy people as well as understand requests to figure out if we can hack together something for them. The job is WFH as much as you want, but we would like someone who occasionally can get in to our London office now and then.

The previous person in this role transitioned to a senior QA role that we were able to facilitate by having her loaned out 50%+ of the time to learn that side of the house, so we're very encouraging to have people grow out of this job. This will work very closely with my rapid development team so there will be opportunities to do Python, JS, and Java development, but to be clear I wouldn't categorize this as a software engineering role. I am a hard-rear end about not wanting people working more than 40 hour weeks and we are pretty good about holding to that. On-call will be a thing after ~6 months or so, but our rotation right now is like 1 week on every 2 months and we average 1 page every 2-3 weeks in total so the impact is pretty low.

who are we looking for: Jack of many trades techie person. Some programming is a big plus, at least be able to walk through some source code. If you can do more we'll build your responsibilities in that direction. Honestly my ideal person is someone who is trying to become a software developer but maybe needs some experience and a few more skills to get there. I've done really well with people making career switches a bit later in life, but have done well with new grads too. I'd love to get someone on a 2-3 year road to full-stack figgies.

Salary: It's the UK so everything is complex, but we're targeting reasonable entry-level salaries. Around 55-60k GBP seems to be market, we'll adjust up or down depending on the candidate. In the US this role usually is $75k-$85k in Minnesota.

PM me if you want more info or have any questions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Armauk posted:

Why are you specifying Minnesota?

To give some context as far as what the position pays in the US (the other hiring location is MN, as opposed to NY or Silicon Valley or something). The UK tech salary structure is very different but this at least gives some context as to where this would be if someone were to be familiar with how US salaries tend to be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Staff Engineer/Architect implies depth, not breadth. If I saw those titles I'd expect a certain amount of deep understanding of your top skills.

I'd just say "Software Engineer" but if you wanted to goose it a little "Software and DevOps Engineer". DevOps isn't really IT-y these days, it's usually on the engineering side of the house.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, that's not bad. Depends on what you want your next job to be though too. If you really want to dive into development/engineering, as a hiring manager I might rather see Software Engineer than Enterprise Architect. If you want to keep doing a junk drawer of stuff (and I sorta made a career out of that, so no judgement) enterprise architect is pretty good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, go to the newbie thread but as someone who hires lots of career change later in life people, you'll "catch up" fast. I suggest finding a job to get some of that experience as much for the resume as knowing what direction you want to go in. The first job is the hard one, after that it'll be more about what you want to do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Or go through a Scrum master bootcamp and do that. Some coding also helps with that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cr0y posted:

Is this the thread to ask about salary ranges?

I've been at an F100 for nearly a decade, starting on their NOC and being promoted through three teams to the role of a "senior systems analyst". Whatever that means.

Here's my general job description/experience:
-Enterprise for about a decade, smaller time for about another 10 years, again, a generalist)

-server infrastructure from Dell PowerEdge up through OS via VMware VSAN (windows generally but also some linux)
-my current team is IT / OT, we directly support industrial control systems so I have a lot of experience with fault tolerance, disaster recovery, etc (app vendors being GE, Rockwell, etc)
-I consider myself a server administrator by trade but I can speak intelligently about Palo Alto, Cisco, juniper, Meraki, and storage (Mostly EMC for traditional on prem clusters). I don't know how to articulate this but I can generally tell a telecom guy when there's a routing problem or a VLAN misconfiguration.

My current gig is kind of getting lovely, just looking for some expectations as to where the market is. Pennsylvania if that matters, but moving forward I want to be full remote

A thread about salary ranges is a great idea but it'd be hard to control the noise for something like that.

Ultimately, you sorta need to share what kind of job you're looking for, maybe find a decent example online and share that? I'd also say full remote is probably going to "cost" something in terms of salary, a lot of places are realizing that is worth a kind of premium, especially for ICs. To give you an idea, I posted a (admittedly, entry level) full remote job about 8 weeks ago and had 600+ applicants in like 4 days before I took it down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Coding with Python, Coding for the Web, maybe something like Data Analyst but that might need more followup (but could possibly merge with your small business experience?)

I'd suggest posting in the Newbie Coding thread for further advice
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AWS certs are useful things to have, but they need to be in combination with other things. Combining that with Python skills and some general CICD stuff like K8s would put you in good shape for a entry level cloud automation role. There's almost no job that just requires 1 cert.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There's a general Post Openings/Post Seeking thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3052395&pagenumber=55#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, get your butt to the resume thread. I hope you know you don't need to (and shouldn't) lead with your immunocompromised status.