Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
jewbabe
Jan 14, 2006
Je t'aime.

Goatstein posted:

ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
It is too early to say this strategy will not achieve an acceptable outcome in Kosovo, and that troops will have to be sent in. What one can say now, though, is that for this strategy to work will require much tougher sticks and much fatter carrots.

Regarding the sticks, I wouldn't underestimate the impact on a modern European state of sustained NATO air bombardments, which should be intensified once the weather clears. People tend to change their minds and adjust their goals as they see the price they are paying mount. Twelve days of surgical bombing was never going to turn Serbia around. Let's see what 12 weeks of less than surgical bombing does. Give war a chance.

Home!
Aug 30, 2008

by The Finn

Stymie posted:

*a shitload of mustache jokes*

his mustache is the only substantial thing about him

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I have only one question about Israel’s military operation in Gaza: What is the goal? Is it the education of Hamas or the eradication of Hamas? I hope that it’s the education of Hamas. Let me explain why.

I was one of the few people who argued back in 2006 that Israel actually won the war in Lebanon started by Hezbollah. You need to study that war and its aftermath to understand Gaza and how it is part of a new strategic ballgame in the Arab-Israel arena, which will demand of the Obama team a new approach.

What Hezbollah did in 2006 — in launching an unprovoked war across the U.N.-recognized Israel-Lebanon border, after Israel had unilaterally withdrawn from Lebanon — was to both upend Israel’s longstanding peace strategy and to unveil a new phase in the Hezbollah-Iran war strategy against Israel.

There have always been two camps in Israel when it comes to the logic of peace, notes Gidi Grinstein, president of the Israeli think tank, the Reut Institute: One camp says that all the problems Israel faces from the Palestinians or Lebanese emanate from occupying their territories. “Therefore, the fundamental problem is staying — and the fundamental remedy is leaving,” says Grinstein.

The other camp argues that Israel’s Arab foes are implacably hostile and leaving would only invite more hostility. Therefore, at least when it comes to the Palestinians, Israel needs to control their territories indefinitely. Since the mid-1990s, the first camp has dominated Israeli thinking. This led to the negotiated and unilateral withdrawals from the West Bank, Lebanon and Gaza.

Hezbollah’s unprovoked attack from Lebanon into Israel in 2006 both undermined the argument that withdrawal led to security and presented Israel with a much more vexing military strategy aimed at neutralizing Israel’s military superiority. Hezbollah created a very “flat” military network, built on small teams of guerrillas and mobile missile-batteries, deeply embedded in the local towns and villages.

And this Hezbollah force, rather than confronting Israel’s Army head-on, focused on demoralizing Israeli civilians with rockets in their homes, challenging Israel to inflict massive civilian casualties in order to hit Hezbollah fighters and, when Israel did strike Hezbollah and also killed civilians, inflaming the Arab-Muslim street, making life very difficult for Arab or European leaders aligned with Israel.

Israel’s counterstrategy was to use its Air Force to pummel Hezbollah and, while not directly targeting the Lebanese civilians with whom Hezbollah was intertwined, to inflict substantial property damage and collateral casualties on Lebanon at large. It was not pretty, but it was logical. Israel basically said that when dealing with a nonstate actor, Hezbollah, nested among civilians, the only long-term source of deterrence was to exact enough pain on the civilians — the families and employers of the militants — to restrain Hezbollah in the future.

Israel’s military was not focused on the morning after the war in Lebanon — when Hezbollah declared victory and the Israeli press declared defeat. It was focused on the morning after the morning after, when all the real business happens in the Middle East. That’s when Lebanese civilians, in anguish, said to Hezbollah: “What were you thinking? Look what destruction you have visited on your own community! For what? For whom?”

Here’s what Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah’s leader, said the morning after the morning after about his decision to start that war by abducting two Israeli soldiers on July 12, 2006: “We did not think, even 1 percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not.”

That was the education of Hezbollah. Has Israel seen its last conflict with Hezbollah? I doubt it. But Hezbollah, which has done nothing for Hamas, will think three times next time. That is probably all Israel can achieve with a nonstate actor.

In Gaza, I still can’t tell if Israel is trying to eradicate Hamas or trying to “educate” Hamas, by inflicting a heavy death toll on Hamas militants and heavy pain on the Gaza population. If it is out to destroy Hamas, casualties will be horrific and the aftermath could be Somalia-like chaos. If it is out to educate Hamas, Israel may have achieved its aims. Now its focus, and the Obama team’s focus, should be on creating a clear choice for Hamas for the world to see: Are you about destroying Israel or building Gaza?

But that requires diplomacy. Israel de facto recognizes Hamas’s right to rule Gaza and to provide for the well-being and security of the people of Gaza — which was actually Hamas’s original campaign message, not rocketing Israel. And, in return, Hamas has to signal a willingness to assume responsibility for a lasting cease-fire and to abandon efforts to change the strategic equation with Israel by deploying longer and longer range rockets. That’s the only deal. Let’s give it a try.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The debate over migrant workers is a very important one. Many workers are like geese migrating north for Mexico's economic and social winter but I fear that the winter of the United States has given way to economic conditions much the same, and a long time before fall.

GyroFry
Jul 2, 2002

by mons all madden

quote:

The sudden outbreak of peace in Iraq has made me realize, among other things, one incontestable fact: I have no business holding a pen, at least with intent to write.

I know, you’re thinking I’m going too far. I haven’t always been wrong about everything. I recently made some sense on global warming and what we needed to do about it, for instance.

But to have been so completely and fundamentally wrong about so huge a disaster as what we have done to Iraq — and ourselves — is outrageous enough to prove that people like me have no business posing as wise men, and, more importantly, that The New York Times has no business continuing to provide me with a national platform.

In any case, I have made a decision: as of today, I will no longer write in this or any other newspaper. I will immediately desist from writing any more books about how it’s time for everyone to climb on board the globalization high-speed monorail to the future. I will keep my opinions to myself. (My wife suggested that I try not to even form opinions, but I think she might have another agenda.)

Baffled? I don’t blame you. So I’ll cite some facts to support my decision — a practice, I must admit, I have too seldom followed.

Let’s start with the invasion itself. I was pretty much all for it. Mind you, I was not one of the pundits, reporters, or public figures who said that Saddam Hussein was a threat to the United States. I knew better — but I said it didn’t matter!

Back in February of 2003, I wrote in this space: “Saddam does not threaten us today. He can be deterred. Taking him out is a war of choice — but it’s a legitimate choice.” In other words, we should invade a sovereign state and replace its government in order to remake the world more to our liking.

Now the simple fact is, an unprovoked attack on a sovereign state is a war crime, even when linked to grand ideas of the future of mankind. In fact, that’s exactly what Hitler did, for exactly the same reasons. The Nuremburg War Crimes Tribunal called it the “the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.”

What was I thinking? And more importantly, why didn’t anyone stop me?

But wait, it gets worse. Having expressed how acceptable it was to commit Hitler’s signature crime, I then applauded the invasion of Iraq as an “audacious roll of the dice.” It should have occurred to me that this gamble would be unspeakably painful for an untold number of Iraqis who had done nothing to us — in other words, any of them.

Soon, when it became obvious that my pipe dreams for a peaceful and democratic subject nation were just that, I decided to say it was too soon to tell how things would turn out in Iraq, but that we would definitely know in six months to a year. I said this pretty much every six months for five years. And The Times just kept giving me more and more column-inches.

I’m not trying to beat myself up here. I’ve done that plenty already, believe me — and my wife has done the rest! But I have one question: why are newspapers like The New York Times letting people like me make fools of themselves, mislead the American people, and, worst of all, give their wives a lifetime of ammunition?

To err is human, but to print, reprint, and re-reprint error-mad humans like me is a criminally moronic editorial policy.

Nor, of course, is it only me. Just consider who populates the opinion pages of America’s top newspapers. Bill Kristol, who was actually hired by The Times long after being proven wrong on Iraq. Charles Krauthammer. Robert Novak. Mona Charen. Fred Barnes. The list goes on and on of officially-approved wise men (and a woman or two) who never once doubted that Iraq had vast stockpiles of W.M.D.s. And that’s just in newspapers.

We were all wrong again and again — and the consequences were devastating. Can anyone tell me why any of us should ever be asked, let alone paid, for our opinions ever again? Or, for that matter, why Richard Perle or Paul Wolfowitz should be allowed behind any sort of desk whatsoever as long as they live?

Peace in Iraq will undoubtedly have many far-reaching consequences. As promised, I’m not going to speculate publicly about what they might be.

Except one. As of today, I’m putting down my pen, to take up a screwdriver. I am going to retrain as an engineer and spend the rest of my life working to build non-carbon-based energy technologies. And I’m going to spend a lot of time washing my hands.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS

Home! posted:

Mustaches are a good thing, but on the other hand they can also be a bad thing.

Good things are good, but on the other hand bad things are bad.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I had stopped for spot of Thai food in Frankfurt while traveling with the CEO of Infosys, an Indian company when I realized that the world is like an open source Internet Browser high on peyote driving a Lexus in the 9th inning of the world series at Fenway park above fiber optic cables laid at the bottom of the ocean using greentech solar panels with flatware paradigm oysters.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Home! posted:

it wasn't a critique, i like the mustache jokes

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo
let me tell you this dog won't hunt with the herd, if it did it would save nine

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
in the next 6 months this thread is really gonna turn around and you will see all the hard work of the posters involved.

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!
Apple has long been the Dr Norton of the computer industry, quarantining the virus of bigness and keeping everyone clean with their less-is-more mentality, one of downsizing and rightsizing and capsizing the overbloated supertanker of the computer industry into a spreading spill of portable commerce. An Apple a day keeps the doctor spill spreading.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I disembarked from the JetBlue airliner and quickly began the long march up the short airport connector. What had Yakoba meant when he said "Tom, the labor market is really opening up." Opening up? Blooming? Like a flower? My God, he's telling me that opium fuels unfreedom!

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...
At a time in history that the grey-matters of washington can only throw up black and white thinking it is becoming increasingly apparent that we cannot afford to operate monochromaticly if we want to successfully navigate our brains into the future's rough water. For successful takeoff me must realise that the sky is no longer only blue. Blue sky thinking is defunct and we must turn to the green sky thinking of energy conservation and keep an eye on the rosy sunset that we hope to successfully ride into before the end credits roll.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thinkmeats posted:

Apple has long been the Dr Norton of the computer industry, quarantining the virus of bigness and keeping everyone clean with their less-is-more mentality, one of downsizing and rightsizing and capsizing the overbloated supertanker of the computer industry into a spreading spill of portable commerce. An Apple a day keeps the doctor spill spreading.

lol

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006
If history has shown us one thing, it's that compromise works best. So when it comes to the current conflict in Israel, let me be the first to float the question: why can't Hamas and Israel just get along? A potential compromise could work like this: Hamas would stop launching rockets into Israel, while Israel would agree to stay out of Gaza. It might sound like a crazy idea, but maybe it's just crazy enough that it could work.

Megajesus
Nov 2, 2005
Bonecrusher
if you hooked up every person with a BA to a special machine that could translate their thoughts through a special timidity filter into a printing press you could generate thousands of friedman books daily.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When living through a recession one quickly realizes one must tighten ones' belt. And this is true for America: We must tighten our grain belt, our Rust Belt, and yes, even our Bible Belt if we are going to get through this, and keep a downturn from becoming a turndown.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Megajesus posted:

if you hooked up every person with a BA to a special machine that could translate their thoughts through a special timidity filter into a printing press you could generate thousands of friedman books daily.

JFK wanted to put a man on the moon. My vision is to put every American man and woman on a campus.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

Police Academy 6 posted:

If history has shown us one thing, it's that compromise works best. So when it comes to the current conflict in Israel, let me be the first to float the question: why can't Hamas and Israel just get along? A potential compromise could work like this: Hamas would stop launching rockets into Israel, while Israel would agree to stay out of Gaza. It might sound like a crazy idea, but maybe it's just crazy enough that it could work.

Way too cogent.

Goatstein posted:

When living through a recession one quickly realizes one must tighten ones' belt. And this is true for America: We must tighten our grain belt, our Rust Belt, and yes, even our Bible Belt if we are going to get through this, and keep a downturn from becoming a turndown.

Almost somewhat clever, metaphor kind makes sense at a linguistic level.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MRI chalk posted:

The way the bailout bill is running now, we've got the Crips vs the Bloods, and the Crips have the majority in congress, sure, but the Bloods have got organization. And you can bet that unless we get capital flow to the banks to reinvest in investment, the LAPD is going to sweep in and pretty soon it'll be West Side Story - but this time, the only Jet is the one attached to your pension.

marty4286
Jan 27, 2009

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that afternoon golfing with Ratan Tata, chairman of the Tata Industrial Group, near the Mumbai campus of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.

"I gotta take a piss," he told me at the 7th hole where we had a great view of a McDonald's billboard. Then he pointed to some beggar children looking into the course from behind a chain-link fence and yelled at his caddy, "Get those pieces of poo poo out of here."

A-ha!, I finally understood what he was telling me. The current global economic crisis was merely a natural buildup of urine in the bladder, and we had to play 11 more holes before we hit a home run to the finish line and have our release so we could be comfortable again.

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.
I think in the next 6 ______ we will see whether _______ can overcome the problem of ______, especially in the _______ and _______ sectors. It's important to note that ______ needs the full support of _______ and ______, as well as a firm commitment from ______ to fully engage with _______. _______ the _______, because without ______ we won't be sure that we can ______ this problem quickly.

DUMBocrat
Oct 24, 2005

by mons all madden
tom friedman could probably be replaced by dave barry and no one would notice

MRI chalk
Oct 22, 2005

by Peatpot

DUMBocrat posted:

He said he was looking for a two-state solution. I am not making this up! So then I shot flames out of my toaster

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

cargo cult posted:

I had stopped for spot of Thai food in Frankfurt while traveling with the CEO of Infosys, an Indian company when I realized that the world is like an open source Internet Browser high on peyote driving a Lexus in the 9th inning of the world series at Fenway park above fiber optic cables laid at the bottom of the ocean using greentech solar panels with flatware paradigm oysters.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

marty4286 posted:

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that afternoon golfing with Ratan Tata, chairman of the Tata Industrial Group, near the Mumbai campus of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.

"I gotta take a piss," he told me at the 7th hole where we had a great view of a McDonald's billboard. Then he pointed to some beggar children looking into the course from behind a chain-link fence and yelled at his caddy, "Get those pieces of poo poo out of here."

A-ha!, I finally understood what he was telling me. The current global economic crisis was merely a natural buildup of urine in the bladder, and we had to play 11 more holes before we hit a home run to the finish line and have our release so we could be comfortable again.
lol

marty4286
Jan 27, 2009

I want to see that special tv report where thomas friedman was travelling through lebanon, turkey, and egypt talking to muslims on the street and even teenagers recognized him and you could see on their faces they thought he was an idiot

DUMBocrat
Oct 24, 2005

by mons all madden
The Times editors had also given me $30000 in cash, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. The trunk of the Lexus looked like a

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
We can't afford to raise our children in a green economy - the future is plaid. In Laos, they understand this lesson. I spoke with Thongloun Sisoulith, a deputy minister, and based on our conversation I surmised that his country been able to synthesize the remaining portion of the color spectrum - the red from their recent past and the yellow of their people with the green and blue energy economy emerging in our flattened world. Pay attention, America!

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Goatstein posted:

and quickly began the long march up the short airport connector.

well done

CriticalAyatollah
Jan 25, 2009
An economy is like a muscle because globalization and free markets are what you need to develop an economy. But just like lifting weights too frequently, it can hurt your economy if the financial markets overdo it and make their financial gadgets too gizmo. But weight lifters can use steroids to combat the effects of over training, so the financial markets need a "spotter" in the form of prudent regulation. Fans become suspicious of any baseball player who hits too many dingers, and likewise people assume that countries with the most ripped economies got that way through performance enhancing imperialism and the biggest companies benefit from unfair subsidies. What these critics forget is that in economics the performance enhancing steroid of regulation is a good thing. In conclusion, musclenomics shows that globalization even affects the bodybuilding industry because Americans can go to Mexico to find Steroids in the same way it is useful for us to see what economic policies work in other countries. There are lots of pulled Hamstrings on the way to economic prosperity but I talked to a guard from the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball association who had torn his ACL and told me that his leg was stronger than it had ever been after rehabbing.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
"But Raj", I asked as the Gulfstream touched down in Brussles, "doesn't your cost positive abundance approach leave room for your competitors to capitalize on the information submarket and dominate the bluewave firmshare field?"

"Tom", he responded between drinks of Saki, "the world is like a soukh and a stockmarket caught in the hot, flat clamfield of the Upper East Side. The stockmarket has a opensource dynamic approach to opportunity cost. I can catch a plane from Sao Palo and land in Morocco while watching the Celctics play the Chargers in Seattle on my Blackberry. The soukh only sells baskets and burqas, there are no Burger Kings. Infosys subsidizes that vacancy making us the sole suppliers of the commodity side synergy enterprise. It's that simple."

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lifestyles of the Rich and Pro-globalization

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
What they needed to see was American boys and girls going house to house, from Basra to Baghdad, um and basically saying, "Which part of this sentence don't you understand?"

You don't think, you know, we care about our open society, you think this bubble fantasy, we're just gonna let it grow?

Well Suck. On. This.

Okay.

That Charlie was what this war was about. We could've hit Saudi Arabia, it was part of that bubble. We coulda hit Pakistan. We hit Iraq because we could. That's the real truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOF6ZeUvgXs

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HOF6ZeUvgXs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HOF6ZeUvgXs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

DUMBocrat posted:

"Green Collar Jobs would be a good band name."

Foggy
May 17, 2004

this allusion meant posted:

Well Suck. On. This.

a moment of unusual clarity, to be sure

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
for some reason i get krugman and friedman mixed up sometimes so when someone says friedman sucks or krugman rules sometimes i get real confused for a sec :shobon:

Panic at the Costco
Aug 14, 2000

*an extremely loud "BOOYA" comes thundering from beyond the hills breaking windows all around u*
I struggled at the door, pulling with all my might, to no avail.

I thought of the citizens of Bangalore, who pushed on to flatten the earth with ingenuity, a sign that globalization was working wonders.

Then I realized, A-ha! My god! There it is! A literally flat sign that on the door which said 'Push'. I must push on the door to open it, much like the workers in India push for better pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

As I rode shotgun with the Governor in his Hydrogen Hummer I couldn't help but dream wistfully of being carried off into a Beirut sunset in his rippling Austrian arms. Maybe we couldn't erase the green line that tore this Middle Eastern Paris in two, but we could hide it under a worldwide green revolution!