Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Israel is a modern-day Gordian Knot. But instead of an Alexander to cut it apart we will need a Martha Washington, to weave it into a flag composed of millions of tiny knots and two peaceful states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The new economy is the endgame of a hole of golf: Globalization was the long drive and now that we are on the green - the green tech - we will need to be very careful with how we line up our shot to sink the ball into the hole of economic stability.

Goatstein fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 12, 2009

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Iraq was a crapshoot. And any Vegas gambler will tell you that the first thing you must know about any game of craps is that when you're playing with dictators you better buy a a lot of drinks.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beef BEEF posted:

*pulls metaphors out of guantanamo bay*

Guantanamo Bay has been called a "black hole" and scientists tell us that when dealing with black holes it is best to observe indirectly. In an age of Black Berries we cannot afford to look at Black Holes.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The debate over migrant workers is a very important one. Many workers are like geese migrating north for Mexico's economic and social winter but I fear that the winter of the United States has given way to economic conditions much the same, and a long time before fall.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I disembarked from the JetBlue airliner and quickly began the long march up the short airport connector. What had Yakoba meant when he said "Tom, the labor market is really opening up." Opening up? Blooming? Like a flower? My God, he's telling me that opium fuels unfreedom!

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thinkmeats posted:

Apple has long been the Dr Norton of the computer industry, quarantining the virus of bigness and keeping everyone clean with their less-is-more mentality, one of downsizing and rightsizing and capsizing the overbloated supertanker of the computer industry into a spreading spill of portable commerce. An Apple a day keeps the doctor spill spreading.

lol

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When living through a recession one quickly realizes one must tighten ones' belt. And this is true for America: We must tighten our grain belt, our Rust Belt, and yes, even our Bible Belt if we are going to get through this, and keep a downturn from becoming a turndown.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is the old Chinese Red Guard extinguished like an ocean current? The answer is more complicated than we usually think. The Reds have been taken over and combined with the blacks of credits on balance sheets, mixing into a new green future.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You can set your boat on fire as long as you keep in mind you're in the middle of the interstate.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Some say that the new era of American diplomacy is going to need a new paradigm, a new philosophy that is timid like a lamb yet breathes fire like a lion. But states like Iran eat lambs for breakfast. They do not eat men who speak softly and carry a big stick.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if you are having trouble coming up with these simply stare into The Moustache

The Moustache contains all answers

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have long been a critic of the Iraq War. But as time goes on we, the clumsy Pottery-Barn consumers of the Coalition of the Willing, have come to realize that not only have we broken them, not only have we bought them, now we must take the people of Iraq and grind them into a fine powder so that they might become fertilizer for a new age of freedom.

Goatstein fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 5, 2009

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
As educated consumers in a flat world it is our duty -and privilege- to buy a great deal of equipment to help us climb ever higher. But the pitons of sustainability that we drill into the flattened world must be strong, tempered in the fires of a cooling economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moetic Justice posted:

As I arise in my top-floor capsule hotel in Tokyo, I notice that, in this pinnacle of modernity, there is a VHS machine. Could this really be a lump in our otherwise flat world? I see an unmarked tape on the floor, as full of possibilities as the emerging markets of India. I insert it into the slot with gusto. It's Chronicles of Riddick. Just as the industries booming mere miles away were born of imitation, I, too, begin to imitate the main character, Riddick. I make whooshing sounds, imagining myself slamming down some protectionist bastards. Even when I mess up technique, I continue to whoosh, much like the very building I reside in continued to operate through the Lost Decade. Not many can say they supported the most prosperous economic system in the universe. I can. I lecture about, at length, to my colleagues at the New York Times, and all they do is prove that journalists at a respected publication can still be immature jerks. I've learned all the arguments, and I've learned how to make my column seem more substantial by including them all. Two pages including citations every column.

good effort but Friedman definitely would have mentioned the brand name of the VHS player