Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I almost killed my mojito mint yet again, but “almost” and “yet again” are the phrases of note there.

It was in a pot that was too small and it just needs more water than most of my plants.

I finally put it in the nice pot with good soil that it deserves, and it’s bouncing right back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Serf posted:

got our first potato flower not long ago. the potatoes plants have grown at an insane pace. two months ago they were still totally underground

Right? We're growing some store-bought red potatoes indoors, and they've gone nuts over the past 10 days, gaining at least an inch and a bunch of leaves everyday. I wake up in the morning and admire them before work :allears:.

May 2nd

May 6th

May 11th

I don't expect any sort of decent yield given the small space they're in (cubic foot grow bags), but nonetheless they've been a joy to watch grow as houseplants.

I have some much larger grow bags housing adirondack blue and caribé potatoes. They were planted more recently, so they've just poked through the soil. Fun times.

Shine fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 4, 2020

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Endie posted:

Mint will sidle up to your parsley, suffocate it in its (flower)bed, then continue to take over the garden like a tastier version of Japanese Knotweed.

I've actually got a mint plant on the edge of my lawn that self-seeded last year. This year it's now ten stalks... I know I should dig it out and pot it but part of me wants to see it go wild. I hate lawn anyway.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've got a mint spot I'm letting go because it's bordered on 2 sides by wall and the rest by me mowing, which makes for a nice smell every time

Maybe it will eventually strangle me in my sleep but we also like mint cocktails, so I'm taking that risk

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
The 10 day forecast for the twin cities looks pretty good, only two nights below 50 (47 and 48). I just want to plant my tomatoes, peppers and beans!! I started my tomatoes WAY to early and they are busting out of their pots. I planted my yard long seed under lights at the same time and its growing all over the place - must be 4 or more feet long. I'm keeping a garden journal this year so hopefully I can do better next year.

I planted out my peas, spinach, carrots and brassicas several weeks ago and they are coming along. A little late, but my potatoes went in last week.

Serf
May 5, 2011

we've been having some weird high winds that keep blowing over my squash plants. some of my potatoes have fallen over too, which is a real pain in the rear end

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, the tomatoes I've put outside are being torn to shreds by wind and low nighttime temperatures, while the ones I kept inside are getting stressed and sickly from being rootbound.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sorry for repeated tomato questions, but quite the newbie at this.

Here's where they are now, most of the seedlings had their yellow leave drop off, and new leaves came in:

Doesn't look like they have s second set of true leaves yet? At least no most.

Should I transplant them to larger containers at this point?

Despite the brief warm spell we had a couple weeks ago, it's not been warm enough yet to try and harden. Daytime highs in the fifties at best. Looks like starting tomorrow and all through next week (at least according to the ten day forecasts I've seen) it'll be mid to upper sixties and maybe a spot or two in the 70's, so I'll maybe start tomorrow to harden them in earnest?

Should I harden before or after transplanting to larger containers?

And I'll only have enough room in my garden for at BEST 15 plants, though probably more like 12...and currently I have like 50? Somewhere close to that.

Should I start to decide now who to "cull" for transplanting into bigger containers, or try and save all of them as long as possible (would have to buy a lot more of the 4-6" seedling containers, and probably more potting/seedling soil), so that if something dies in the transplant into the actual garden I have a potential backup?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorry for repeated tomato questions, but quite the newbie at this.

Here's where they are now, most of the seedlings had their yellow leave drop off, and new leaves came in:

Doesn't look like they have s second set of true leaves yet? At least no most.

Should I transplant them to larger containers at this point?

Despite the brief warm spell we had a couple weeks ago, it's not been warm enough yet to try and harden. Daytime highs in the fifties at best. Looks like starting tomorrow and all through next week (at least according to the ten day forecasts I've seen) it'll be mid to upper sixties and maybe a spot or two in the 70's, so I'll maybe start tomorrow to harden them in earnest?

Should I harden before or after transplanting to larger containers?

And I'll only have enough room in my garden for at BEST 15 plants, though probably more like 12...and currently I have like 50? Somewhere close to that.

Should I start to decide now who to "cull" for transplanting into bigger containers, or try and save all of them as long as possible (would have to buy a lot more of the 4-6" seedling containers, and probably more potting/seedling soil), so that if something dies in the transplant into the actual garden I have a potential backup?

I’d vote for having potential backups, just because I got caught by a surprise freeze. I ended up planting the JV squad and I’m glad I did. It’s also fun to give extras out as gifts to friends and family.

I’d also harden later, but that’s a gut instinct rather than anything more certain.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Is this all tomatoes? A bunch of them don't seem to have that characteristic multi lobed leaf. I've never seen that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is this all tomatoes? A bunch of them don't seem to have that characteristic multi lobed leaf. I've never seen that.

Yeah.

What's weirder is that if theyt are in a "short" row, then they're the same variety.

So these are all the same type of tomato:

I THINK the color coding is correct, I've have to move the tray around to see the labels I made, but I know they're sorted by short row, each type has 2-3 rows. So these two are 100% the same kind:

I wonder if it's just because they need to grow more to get that multi-lobe? They all sort of started off with the single lobe leaf and developed the other lobes as time went on.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I think that a lot of tomato plants' first set of leaves after sprouting are single blade like that and the second set start to look like tomato leafs. It's weird that it's the case with the same species of tomato, but I guess each seed is a different phenotype so it doesn't seem impossible.

edit:

This is what I'm talking about. These are brand new sprouts, though, and your seedlings are older than that so :shrug:

Anyone have experience hanging cherry tomato plants? I have a south-facing balcony and I'd like to make good use of it.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 13, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wonder if it's just because they need to grow more to get that multi-lobe? They all sort of started off with the single lobe leaf and developed the other lobes as time went on.
It's quite possible, I've only ever grown tomatoes from seeds from supermarket tomatoes. I've not ever seen single lobe true leaves, even if they're tiny. I'd you say the others went through the same thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^^^edit I thought the seed leaves all yellowed and dropped off of their plants, so I'm assuming true leaves here. Seed leaves are single lobe in general, afaik.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 13, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

^^^edit I thought the seed leaves all yellowed and dropped off of their plants, so I'm assuming true leaves here. Seed leaves are single lobe in general, afaik.

Oh word, yeah. At that point I'd wonder if I had mislabeled my peppers, but these are all tomatoes so that's weird.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I saw some of that with mine. After 2 or 3 sets of leaves I saw the more typical stuff.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Oh word, yeah. At that point I'd wonder if I had mislabeled my peppers, but these are all tomatoes so that's weird.

I’ve had some potato leaf variety tomatoes that never get that classic tomato leaf shape. They stayed pretty much like a pepper leaf, but put out just a ton of tomatoes. Too bad they didn’t taste very good because they produced like crazy.

——

As for that tray full of small tomato seedlings, I’d just not touch them for a week or two and let them get actually big before even putting them out to harden off. Nothing worse than stunting growth because you mess with them too much and get over zealous. Tomatoes like hot weather, and just slightly cooler nights. Patience is the hardest lesson to learn in gardening.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Some of my tomatoes don't have lobed leaves. There's just more variety in heirlooms than we're used to.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

Patience is the hardest lesson to learn in gardening.

This is so loving true, in so many ways.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of patience....

After swearing up and down that I wasn't going to transplant before June, looking at my stressed rootbound tomatoes and the forecast, I think the weather is on track for me to put things in on Saturday. If by then the week's forecast doesn't go below a low of 5c at night, I'll just do it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jhet posted:

As for that tray full of small tomato seedlings, I’d just not touch them for a week or two and let them get actually big before even putting them out to harden off. Nothing worse than stunting growth because you mess with them too much and get over zealous. Tomatoes like hot weather, and just slightly cooler nights. Patience is the hardest lesson to learn in gardening.

Oh yeah, this semi-hosed me over last week. Decided to put a big tray of very young tomatoes and cukes out while I was doing work outside. Not really shaded. Decided "eh, I'll just leave them out all day who cares."

Ended up bleaching a bunch of leaves and totally stunting the hell out of them. Like 90% of have recovered under my grow lights and are doing fine now, but I was super annoyed at myself. Lost a handful of plants but I had way too many anyway.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got some rosemary, cilantro (confetti cilantro which I’ve never seen before but it seems to work the same way), and my wife got a nice flower she’s looking forward to planting

Now I need to figure out how to make this rosemary not die and I’ll be good to go. Bit worried about sun cover, worst case scenario is I keep it inside and clip it so it stays small. I can just get a light somewhere

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Got some rosemary, cilantro (confetti cilantro which I’ve never seen before but it seems to work the same way), and my wife got a nice flower she’s looking forward to planting

Now I need to figure out how to make this rosemary not die and I’ll be good to go. Bit worried about sun cover, worst case scenario is I keep it inside and clip it so it stays small. I can just get a light somewhere

I got confetti cilantro too, but all i could find about it online was that it's flavor is supposed to be milder and it might be bolt resistant.

Rosemary will do great outdoors in full sun. Feel free to mix in a ton of sand with your potting soil for it, like with lavender. Don't overwater it, but for younger plants that don't shade the pot, maybe put down some mulch or other cover to keep the soil from drying out too quick as it gets hotter out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Slanderer posted:

I got confetti cilantro too, but all i could find about it online was that it's flavor is supposed to be milder and it might be bolt resistant.

Rosemary will do great outdoors in full sun. Feel free to mix in a ton of sand with your potting soil for it, like with lavender. Don't overwater it, but for younger plants that don't shade the pot, maybe put down some mulch or other cover to keep the soil from drying out too quick as it gets hotter out.

the "full sun" part is the potential concern, the only space I really have is on my balcony which doesn't get more than 3-4 hours MAYBE of sun, i'll know tonight when i check for sure. might not have been the smartest choice but we'll see how they both do.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

the "full sun" part is the potential concern, the only space I really have is on my balcony which doesn't get more than 3-4 hours MAYBE of sun, i'll know tonight when i check for sure. might not have been the smartest choice but we'll see how they both do.

Don't worry too much about that. Rosemary does so well here in rarely-sunny Seattle that people landscape with it. Just big hedges of rosemary all over the place. It's actually pretty great.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah I have a feeling the likely scenario is that it stays perfectly healthy but doesn't really GROW, so I just have a tiny little rosemary. Which is fine. I can always get a small fluorescent and put it over it on the balcony or something, apparently that's all they need (which is weird)

Hoping the cilantro is also fine with minimal sun but we'll see.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I've definitely killed rosemary in the Berlin sun (imagine that) due to underwatering, but that was because I read "drought tolerant" and thought oh, sweet. But I had it in a container so I killed it

I reckon on the balcony will be fine, I have a new one out on mine and it's doing great in a climate that is ranging from 5 to 22 degrees celsius and is mostly cloudy, some days of full sun. It could definitely survive with much less. Don't water too much but be careful if you're like me and just assume that the plant will somehow magically survive being roasted to death repeatedly without water for.. no reason

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah I have a feeling the likely scenario is that it stays perfectly healthy but doesn't really GROW, so I just have a tiny little rosemary. Which is fine. I can always get a small fluorescent and put it over it on the balcony or something, apparently that's all they need (which is weird)

Hoping the cilantro is also fine with minimal sun but we'll see.

Rosemary grows more like a bush than an herb like basil. I rooted a cutting from a neighbors' plant and it took about two years for it to branch out and grow about 16" high.

Also, if anybody out there is even considering growing rosemary from seed, forget it. Take a cutting instead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I let my basil go last year and it ended up being these 3 ft tall things. It got to a point where I couldn't even prune away the flowers or cut the thing without a strong tool because it had like tree bark.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I've said it here before but that was my last experience with basil. It was in my first garden and when it came time to take stuff out I had to use bypass shears to get through about a thumb thick stem.

So much basil. Not even exaggerating but I think I had frozen pesto from that monster for at least 4 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love basil so it won't be the end. I'm just not sure what I'm doing with it this year. My tentative plan is to build a raised bed for herbs and then set it on top of some cinder blocks just so its like 2-3 ft up, just high enough to be convenient for easy picking for meals. I keep delaying doing that because of the pandemic and every time the whether gets warm for a few days there's then a below freezing frost. But when I do get it to it I'm thinking the basil will just stay down low in the main sectioned off bed with stuff like peppers as it didn't seem to have any trouble growing up big and strong and getting sun (and in turn was pretty easy to pick from).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is funny how some stuff just loves certain climates. My rosemary bush, which was planted only two year ago, is larger than one of those balance balls people sit on despite very aggressive pruning.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Do those of you growing coriander/cilantro manage to get a good "cut and come again" system going with it? If so, what's the trick?

When I've tried in the past I've just gotten a single harvest and then it gives up or bolts. Compared to other herbs it seemed to give a really low yield to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Do those of you growing coriander/cilantro manage to get a good "cut and come again" system going with it? If so, what's the trick?

When I've tried in the past I've just gotten a single harvest and then it gives up or bolts. Compared to other herbs it seemed to give a really low yield to me.

I've not figured it out. I just succession plant it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Same here. I don't bother to plant cilantro anymore because it costs like sixty cents at the store and that garden space could be better used for other things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just let coriander and dill grow like weeds around my garden.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

I was just watching a youtube on this that specifically mentions that cilantro is a poor spring planting crop if you have a short spring because the temperature spike into summer makes it bolt really quickly, and to instead plant it late summer and get many more harvests in the fall. I have no idea if its true, but I heard it on the internet!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I was given a big rear end pot of it by grandma and so far in central NC it's going gangbusters in the garage under lights.

I have literally never successfully even started cilantro here, no idea how they pulled it off.

Just based on the plant itself I can't imagine a good cut and come again approach. It's pretty much cut the whole thing at the roots and rinse.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My beans have a few true leaves now, but something is causing them to curl pretty badly. I could only find a couple of aphids. I swear, if they've got some uncurable virus I will burn everything down. I've never had problems with beans before!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

All of my starters are in their forever homes now. I built my weave frame for my tomatoes out of 2*4s, and it's in place, but they're going to be in wire cages too so they have some extra support on the lower end (and until I can get some twine).

Decided to put all of my hot peppers into pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My beans sprung the gently caress up. Well, mostly just that one, but the others are all mostly doing pretty good too.

Here they are yesterday morning:

Yesterday afternoon:

And this morning:

And little radish sprouts coming in nicely. First one is watermelon radishes, second one is I guess just "standard" red and white ones.