Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1027

Attack on Itagaki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1028

No words...they should have sent a poet

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Are you ready for six whole pages of new Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1040

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Wait until he gets tired from hitting you then knock him out.

Truly a world class level tactic!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Calling it, next issue is Gonzalez beating Martinez and becomes rich and famous, eventually leading him to become the King of Mexico. Then he realizes that its all a dream and he is still falling to the ground from Ippo's punch which was so filled with samurai spirit that it caused him to hallucinate. He drops to the ground, Ippo wins and back to the bullshit.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New Chapter is up - http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1070/2521/1

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Why does he use the flicker jab when he's full of sick burns like that!

mini Makanouchi is depressed arc coming up

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I'd just like to point out that there's been pretty much no reaction to the suggestion Ippo has brain damage now.

lol

Only because it will be forgotten about in a few issues time (if it gets brought up again at all I'd be shocked).

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

That...was maybe the best Ippo chapter I've read in a long time, I haven't been this invested in whats going to happen next since the Miyata/Randy Boy fight.

I bet its the Miyata rematch thing that breaks him out of it

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1080

Takamura fight inbound!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1082

if this all leads to a Sendo/Mashiba match, then I'm sorry for all the poo poo I said about you Morikawa, all is forgiven

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Is it just me or did Mashiba just use the Fish punch thing that Kimura used on him?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Nah Sendo is gonna win, especially after Mashiba's victory.

The purpose of these fights is to give Ippo a reason to continue as a boxer, part of which seems to involve these two going further than him. Sendo losing here doesn't really accomplish anything as he has lost several times before, and the fact that he was already wounded when entering the fight also taints a loss.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Takamura won by turning into a Beyblade.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Are the current Mangasteam issues caught up with the Japanese releases? If not, have any spoilers been released about what's happening next.

I'm going with "Ippo is fine and it's all a big misunderstanding" and that this is just a bad way of trying to build drama.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I have to admit, I am genuinely interested in where this is going, even if it feels like the story could have ended at Ippo's 2nd loss

So where does Ippo go from here? He is too sick to continue boxing. A few theories I have are...

1) The reason Ippo is ending is that the author is too sick to continue. We'll get a few flash-forward chapters of Takamura winning the world belt and Ippo finally kissing a girl/getting married. He narrowly avoided the Ashita no Joe ending and finds happiness outside of the sport.

2)Someone else becomes the lead, like Takamura, Miyata, or Sendo. Don't see this one being that likely.

3)We get a flash-forward to Ippo taking over the gym and teaching someone else how to be a horrible boxer. This could possibly lead to a Boruto style situation where a new artist takes over, but with the original author overseeing the story.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Maybe we get a Vinland Saga moment and the next issue will conclude with "The End of the Prologue"

Thirty more years of virgin Ippo.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

If Ippo returns to boxing (despite his injuries) then what was the point of this entire story arc?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Ippo looks like he has combined Armament Haki with Super Saiyan 2.

It's a tad too much for dealing with a single punk kid, but I admit that I can't wait to see Ippo murder his traitorous student.

Edit - I just noticed the eyes - he has the Rinnegan too!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How is Ippo going to be able to tap into his monster form? Do all of his future opponents have to disrespect the coach's training gloves in some way?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Ippo's return & monster transformation will almost certainly be a response to a character dying. I think it's a toss-up between Takamura, the coach, or Sendo.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Ippo is going full Rock Lee and dropping the weights.

Which is fitting, cos Woli apparently has the Sharingan now.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Ippo's 2nd loss happened around five years ago now (I think?) and I still have no clue where the series is going. It feels like the series has meandered between Ippo's health, his day-to-day life, his training of other boxers, and always hinting at his return, yet never pulling the trigger.

* If Woli wins, then it will be hot garbage because it's not earned, as Woli is still doing Street Fighter moves. If Martinez wins (like I'm expecting), then Woli isn't an important enough character to prompt Ippo to come back. A Sendo loss/possible death would have made for a perfect gateway for Ippo's return, so maybe this is just a long lead-in to that?
* If Ippo does return, then how much of an uphill struggle will he have reclaiming and ascending from his previous position?
Ippo won't get laid. I'm 100% confident in that prediction

It's a grim thought, but I wonder if the recent passing of Miura has prompted Morikawa to think about the end of the series and to start building towards it? I'm curious what everyone else thinks about the future direction of the series?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Jiro posted:

I'm not looking forward to Woli getting Apollo Creed-ed vs Ricardo.

I am. I hope Woli dies from injuries dealt by Ricardo while doing his Blanka from SF2 tricks and that finally convinces Ippo to return (to avenge Woli? I guess?)

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I think this has been the most excited I've been about Ippo since... Ippo's last fight? It feels like the series has been spinning its wheels for a while. I want to see Ricardo absolutely murder Wally (literally) and bring Ippo out of retirement (though I think Sendo or Volg dying in the ring would have more impact on Ippo, rather than the Blanka guy he one inch punched a lot back in the day). If Wally somehow wins and takes the belt then the author will have pulled the ultimate troll move on the fans. "Remember that unbreakable samurai Japanese spirit nonsense? Nah, it's all about impossible techniques you learn from the jungle."

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Isn't Woli going to gas himself out quicker with all the running around and jumping between rounds? What a ridiculous character.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Hajime no Ippo: Wally-Kun... You're Incredible

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/135/1402/page/1

A great Ippo chapter? It's more likely than you think.

Referee - Stop using the ropes to perform illegal moves

Wally's Camp - Clearly, this is favoritism

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I feel like Dr. Nick Riviera screaming "Kill him!" during the Homer v Drederick Tatum fight.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if Wally's trump card is Blanka's Rolling Attack from Street Fighter. His team goes for the Babe/Air Bud defense, saying the rules don't mention that hitting someone with your butt is illegal.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

If Wally dies, he will finally have made it fun to watch his boxing, so I can't fault the logic there.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I always figured Sendo would get the Ashita no Joe death, but I'll be way happier if Wally gets it instead

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Die Wally, Die

That's German for Ippo's enormous hog

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I'm not sure how he can end it quickly, outside of a rushed epilogue chapter. There are still way too many loose threads, the biggest being whether Ippo actually returns to the ring or not.

Maybe we'll get Wally loses, Sendo dies in the ring (or is injured so severely that he can't return), then a time skip of Ippo's return, where he is already at the point where he can challenge the champion?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Sendo passes out during the fight, so Ippo has to jump in like the "Helping Hands" game in Whose Line Is It Anyway, throwing Ricardo off his game with gazelle punches and the Dempsey Roll.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The fact that Warlee is still alive (albeit in a coma) convinces me even more that Sendo will die fighting Martinez. It's like a One Piece situation, where the author doesn't want to commit to a death until it matters the most

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Top quality gags in this chapter. It still doesn't feel like we're rushing to any conclusion.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Did he go to the barbers with a picture of Exploud the Pokemon?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

GateOfD posted:

does Miyata and Sendo even know each other

Yeah, they sparred together when Miyata was prepping for the Randy Boy Jr. fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Now I'm seeing them as rollers in his hair, like an old woman with a rolling pin.