Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Accordion Man posted:

Does GOG ban people for sharing games? My friend let me download his GOG copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 so I logged in as him and when I logged out and tried to log back into my account it said it doesn't even recognize the email address tied to my account. I contacted them about it, but I'm wondering if you guys know if this was some sort of mistake that tends to happen or they did pull my account right from under me?

I really hope you're not being indignant about this because you just :filez:ed a game. You realize this, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hav posted:

I don't believe they have a 'sharing' mechanism in place, but I suspect the downloaders will contact your account at some point to see if you can install the game. DRM-free doesn't mean 'free', btw.

Some kind of account phone-home is exactly the kind of DRM that GOG doesn't have.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

jivjov posted:

Some kind of account phone-home is exactly the kind of DRM that GOG doesn't have.

This is incorrect. He/she was talking about the GoG Downloader, which most certainly does "phone home" before allowing you to download games even if the software downloaded does not.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Overwined posted:

This is incorrect. He/she was talking about the GoG Downloader, which most certainly does "phone home" before allowing you to download games even if the software downloaded does not.

I thought the whole thing with the Downloader is that it doesn't do anything on its own anyway; you have to start download from the website? Unless they fixed that and made it more like Steam?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobo the Red posted:

I thought the whole thing with the Downloader is that it doesn't do anything on its own anyway; you have to start download from the website? Unless they fixed that and made it more like Steam?

Yeah I have never seen an option to download a game from within there. You go to your account on Gog and click the download button and it downloads the game. It might as well be your browser.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Overwined posted:

You add things to the downloaded from your account page on the GOG website, no phone home is required because you're already logged in.

Also, the Downloader is completely optional, and from the story described, the guy was logged into his friend's account and could bypass GOG's download manager entirely if he had wanted to.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Can someone post the hive-mind-recommended mods needed (if any) for the GOG version of PS:Torment? By gum, I'm going to actually play this game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Planescape mod guide. All of those are highly recommended.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

voltron lion force posted:

Planescape mod guide. All of those are highly recommended.

Thanks sir. :tipshat:

Edit: Good lord this game must be very beloved (I know that it is), that's a hell of a lot of steps to go through. :D

JPrime fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 18, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got this a while back and found the mouse controls to be awful to the point where I didn't want to play the game anymore.

I don't remember having a problem with them. It's based on the Quake 2 engine so if you've played any third-person game with mouse look (like Mount n Blade) you've played Anachronox.

Dec 26, 2012

al-azad posted:

I don't remember having a problem with them. It's based on the Quake 2 engine so if you've played any third-person game with mouse look (like Mount n Blade) you've played Anachronox.

The mouselook wasn't the problem for me, it was the interaction between using the drat thing to inspect objects and mouselook. I always found that I was doing one when I wanted to be doing the other. It's not insurmountable or anything but it was annoying.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Original_Z posted:

Never played the original but Cap 2 is absolutely brutal so I'm not sure if they expect you to have experience with the series. I couldn't even get past the first tutorial map, I think that if you actually manage to complete all the scenarios you should be awarded an MBA or something. Probably one of the most difficult sim games I've ever played, but tons of depth to it.

Yes this was my problem with Capitalism 2. I tried the tutorial and it was like "yeah just go and make $100mil profit per year within 10 years" or something similar and I just couldn't get to it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr Right posted:

Yes this was my problem with Capitalism 2. I tried the tutorial and it was like "yeah just go and make $100mil profit per year within 10 years" or something similar and I just couldn't get to it.
The tutorials seem to assume you've taken a microecon class and just need learning the interface. I never actually finished them and got into the "real" scenarios to comment if it gets hard or not but it seems so abstracted to have the world work literally like a intro to microecon text book so you can sweep up if you know anything already going into it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr Right posted:

Anyone chiming in on the Capitalism 2 v Capitalism Plus?

Looking at various review sites seems to suggest Cap 2 is the one to grab.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Anyone have anything to say about Shattered Haven yet?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Moop Moop posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Shattered Haven yet?

I bought and downloaded it from the author's site earlier today (same price, no extras, but I figure they get a little bit more that way). I'm a pretty big fan of Arcen games in general, and I am admittedly biased in their favor, but once I get a few hours in, I'll give my impressions as evenly and honestly as I can.

From what I've seen of the footage, it seems like a brisk real time puzzle game, with indirect combat (laying traps for baddies rather than fighting it out). The voiced interludes seem to be done by a guy with a wonderful voice, but he sounds disconnected from the tone of actual game, like he was handed a bunch of lines and just did them in an afternoon. He acts them out quite well, but it doesn't seem to match the game art or gameplay. I find this weirdly endearing. We'll see how that goes.

I don't know how calculated it was to have the game's protagonists be an interracial couple with one (mixed?) child and an adopted daughter, but even if it was I think it's pretty neat.

The dark-n-gritty interlude scene art is also divergent from the tamer SNES-style game art, which seems to be a deliberate choice of effect to me. Not sure how I feel about that yet, or if I care.

The art seems to already be drawing some of the dogpile criticism that Arcen has been famous for attracting since A Valley Without Wind came out, and I don't think that's entirely fair, but sometimes things like that just stick to a developer.

The soundtrack is not available with the GOG version, which is a real shame, but not out of character for the developer, as the soundtrack artist prefers to sell his music separately. I supposed he's entitled to it, as the income from Arcen may not pay all the bills, and many of the tracks he's produced are quite good. Bit disappointed by that, though it is easy enough to just play the .ogg files.

It includes an editor and is at a lower price point than Arcen's other games, and has no serial unlocking, making it their first completely DRM-free game. Arcen seems to be aiming at the following goals:
  • see how a game does on a DRM-free service, but also with no demo available
  • see if the audience starts generating its own content
  • checking to see how a significantly less ambitious design and dramatically shorter development time can produce a better-selling game (A Valley Without Wind, in spite of being a huge labor, does not appear to have performed to expectations.)

e: well, I just wrote a lot more than I intended to about a game I haven't tried yet.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 19, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

Speaking of HoMM3, what are the must have mods for it, it's been a long time but I remember people talking about an HD patch that was pretty much mandatory, is there anything else worth installing, and could anyone give some simplified instructions to installing it all?

https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

You will want that fan-patch to let you play Heroes 3 on any resolution and optionally in windowed mode, and to prevent it from crashing on modern OSes.

There's also a fan-made expansion/total-conversion called "In the Wake of the Gods", although it adds so much stuff that I never bothered trying it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; this is a stupid derail and isn't worth it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 19, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Did you use to have a hissy fit when friends leant each other gaming CDs back in the day?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the rules of this forum aren't 'no piracy chat, unless it's between friends'.

Gog.com are doing a great thing with DRM-free digital distribution and it's abusive behaviour like this that threatens to screw it all up for the rest of us.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy poo poo, Undying :stare:

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert

Everyone who likes a classic ghost story/horror movie in a historical/victorian/turn-of-the-century enviroment should get this. That's one too many uses of the slash symbol, but that's how crazy it gets when you see news like this!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Overview: What a horrible night to have a curse!

Awesome. Another one off the wishlist for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's good that it's available again, but I'll go against the grain and say that I never thought it was particularly great. Don't get me wrong, the beginning is outstanding, but after Lizbeth it just devolves into endless combat against generic monks, pirates and cavemen. I remember actively hating the majority of that game.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

It's good that it's available again, but I'll go against the grain and say that I never thought it was particularly great. Don't get me wrong, the beginning is outstanding, but after Lizbeth it just devolves into endless combat against generic monks, pirates and cavemen. I remember actively hating the majority of that game.
I enjoyed it all throughout, but I do agree that the quality kind of slipped after the Lizbeth part since the other siblings felt kinda rushed compared to her. There was also plot threads that weren't really explained that well. It's too bad it bombed and didn't get a sequel though (Kinda hard to see how Clive barker went from that relatively subdued plot to Jericho's "The evil guys bombed an Orphanage to get enough evil energy to open the evil being's gateway" Spawn level bullshit) The gameplay was pretty great once you build up a collection of spells and weapons, it was pretty unique even now (Bioshock 2 is the only one I can think off of the top of my head that's like it)

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

For some reason, 10 year old me found the part where you use your scrying on a picture of the guy's sister and it subtley but significantly changes her demeanor in the picture to be the most terrifying thing I've ever witnessed. I honestly could not go to sleep alone for 4 days straight.

Still won't play the game for that reason.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Undying loving terrified me when I was younger, I honestly doubt it could hold up very well in that regard today however.
I do remember the game having a sweet arsenal of toys to play with too.

Tempting, shame it doesn't come with the soundtrack as I recall it being pretty nice atmospheric stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The scythe was a badass weapon, and it cannot be understated how well-executed the whole beginning area is. One of the best openings to a game ever, I think. But I do think it completely loses focus and never fully recovers. I kind of want to replay it just to see if it's really that bad, but I think it's telling that I remember almost everything about the mansion extremely vividly and almost nothing about the rest of the game except for the fact that there's a lot of combat with kind of crappy enemies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, LucasArts might be shutting down.

Anyone wanna speculate what this might mean for GOG?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't think it does anything but good for GOG since none of the Lucasarts games are on it. If anything, if the rights for the games get picked up by someone else who knows what to do with them, like Doublefine or whoever has expressed interest in them, the classic Lucasarts games probably have a better shot getting on GOG now. However, I doubt that the rights of games that are very much ingrained with Lucasarts properties, namely Star Wars and Indiana Jones, will be sold off.

But really I just want Grim Fandango available somewhere.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

JPrime posted:

Can someone post the hive-mind-recommended mods needed (if any) for the GOG version of PS:Torment? By gum, I'm going to actually play this game.

You will also want to install this in some way, shape, or form: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html to fix the game from either running slow, crashing, or otherwise bugging out when spells are cast.

Finally there's a chance the game may have issues with the widescreen mod where it will crash on house transitions. This patch will either fix that and cause no problems, not fix it, or fix it but your characters are a bit above the ground or something: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/37824-please-report-crashes-here/page-11

If none of the above work you will have restart the game and install widescreen mod 2.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?8m9u4o8igcfk6bj which has it's own issue (text doesn't wrap properly when you increase the font size, but that's 99% of the time only in the character info sheet).

If you start over with widescreen mod 2.2 you'll have to probably remod the game from a fresh install or else things may break since ghostdog's UI mod depends on the widescreen mod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm never going to get a new Xwing or TIE fighter game. :smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo :stare:. Between this, Blade of Darkness and System Shock 2, all three day one purchases for me. I can go offline for a year now and still be happy (I've got all D&D games too).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I emailed Brian Moriarty a few weeks ago about a Loom sequel and he basically said "can't be done because the rights are locked."

This changes EVERYTHING.

(Maybe. Probably not. OK, I can hope.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

The scythe was a badass weapon, and it cannot be understated how well-executed the whole beginning area is. One of the best openings to a game ever, I think. But I do think it completely loses focus and never fully recovers. I kind of want to replay it just to see if it's really that bad, but I think it's telling that I remember almost everything about the mansion extremely vividly and almost nothing about the rest of the game except for the fact that there's a lot of combat with kind of crappy enemies.

The family mausoleum right after the mansion when you first start running into the werewolf family member is incredible and the courtyard with the gypsies is intense too. After that though it definitely loses steam. More because you're fighting stuff with guns instead of having to use ____ magic to banish _____ skeleton enemy and so on. Just gets a bit bland.

But man that first 1/3 of the game or so is sooo good. And honestly the story is good enough for the time that it's worth playing to the end.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

quote:

The speculation among Hollywood insiders is that Disney wants to focus efforts on the new movie, and wants to remove possible distractions (other licensed Star Wars shows) from the entertainment landscape.

You'd think having an upcoming Star Wars movie would be a pretty good reason to have lots of Star Wars stuff around and make people pay attention to Star Wars, but I guess I'm not a media executive.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Actually, causing a drought of merch right before a deluge of it is one of Disney's most profitable tactics. The idea is that people want their Star Wars and are tired of what they already have, so if you take all the Star Wars stuff off the market a year before your movie comes out, they spend the entire year getting hyped for your movie.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

havenwaters posted:

You will also want to install this in some way, shape, or form: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html to fix the game from either running slow, crashing, or otherwise bugging out when spells are cast.

Actually, I believe that gog.com includes this (or whatever the most recent equivalent is, since there's been a couple) in all of their IE games now. I remember running into it while modding PS:T myself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Peas and Rice posted:

I emailed Brian Moriarty a few weeks ago about a Loom sequel and he basically said "can't be done because the rights are locked."

This changes EVERYTHING.

(Maybe. Probably not. OK, I can hope.)

I don't think this changes anything, really. The closure of the in-house development studio doesn't tell us anything about what Disney intends to do with the rights to LA's properties.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sackmo posted:

Actually, I believe that gog.com includes this (or whatever the most recent equivalent is, since there's been a couple) in all of their IE games now. I remember running into it while modding PS:T myself.

Oh cool. Wasn't there when I played planescape last time though that was sometime last year. I had to go copy the wined3d dlls into my planescape folder to make the game finally play nice with my radeon 7850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm never going to get a new Xwing or TIE fighter game. :smith:

At least we've got this to look forward to. It may not be in the same universe, but it's got the brain from Wing Commander behind it!