Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

GOG is like a constant steam sale, forever tempting me to buy a shitload of games I'll only ever spend a few hours playing. Pure evil, but I love it.

I must say I'm definitely getting my money's worth between IL-2 and Darkstar One. For some reason I just can't get into BG2 though (after spending hours creating and recreating my character of course).

I'd love to see Syndicate Wars and Gene Wars. Crabo-Mules and Dino-Birds up in this business

Prawned fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

God drat Black and White 2, I think I spent more time in that game trying to throw fireballs at far-away towns than anything else.

I miss my awesome spiral-road skyscraper cities of doom and darkness, but I wish they'd kept the creature combat from B&W1.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Few games have disappointed me more than Black and White 2. For all of Black and White's flaws, it uniquely grasped what it meant to be a god game. The advisors were awesome. The minimalist UI was awesome and ahead of its time.

Then Black and White 2 turned the strategy into literally an RTS and the pet management into The Sims.

A Black and White 3 that actually made you a God would be awesome. Also the ability to speed up time if you need to.

Hmm you're probably right, they tried to flesh out ideas to give you more control over your people, but ended up losing sight of the little things which made B&W1 great. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a blast though (pun pun pun).

Back on the track of awesome games, Mech 2 Mercenaries and Discworld 2 pretty please. I hated pretty much all quest games growing up, except for Discworld and Full Throttle; and that awesome Mech2 mission on the space-icecube/asteroid will forever be embedded in my memory.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Bart Fargo posted:

If they do MechWarrior 2 they had better include a soundtrack. I used to play that thing in my CD player almost as much as my PC.

http://youtu.be/GM3MwpkVYKQ
http://youtu.be/aboOgJSkrrw
http://youtu.be/5V5Ssig2rQo
http://youtu.be/rJ0LAs9KiXc
http://youtu.be/RB0oxICsbOI - The sound I hear in my head whenever I hear "BattleTech"

Jesus there's a bunch of these. Better quit or I'll lose the whole day here.

Oh god yes, I completely forgot about that. I recorded all the sweet-rear end music to cassettes and blasted it all hours of the day!

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The automatic updates are extremely irritating for me. I've got a decent broadband connection, but at best I only get between 200k and 400k down. It's upsetting when I jump on to play half an hour of Shogun 2 or w/e and I have to download a 5 gig patch which will take half the night.

Also used to get that "download the entire game again" bug, but rarely happens these days. Mostly solved it by verifying game file integrity in options once I figured out that I could.

Also:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Gog.com - Argue about Steam

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

A smug sociopath posted:

Thanks! I think I'll get it, always wanted to shoot an elf in the face.

Only play turn-based, do not try real-time - It'll put you off immediately. Magic is generally considered easy-mode, but technology/fighting is still very doable so don't be put off. Have fun

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Populous: The Beginning was the only Populous I played, and I enjoyed the pants off of it. People being sent flying by fire warriors, having a priest converting a bunch of dudes then the shaman comes over the hill in a balloon and starts ripping poo poo up :allears:

But where the hell is my Syndicate Wars and Gene Wars GOG?! GRAVITON GUN

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I suppose the best way to describe Witcher's combat is clunky. That said I enjoyed the gently caress out of the game and had multiple playthroughs. Once you get the hang of it it's easy enough. Although I believe the Enhanced Edition makes a big difference for a number of things, and there's some combat patch thingies around.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Yay, definitely going to pick up Evil Genius, I've heard good things. Might as well get Ground Control 2, that game is awesome and I don't own a copy.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

THE BAR posted:

The download works just fine for me.

Yeah I got the first GC when it was free, but don't think the second is gratis anywhere.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's because CoH and DoW have been ridiculously more popular than Homeworld and so long as they can only develop 2 big strategy games at the same time then they're going to iterate those two games (especially as the technology and lessons they develop for one is often directly applicable to the other).

I think I read some recent steam-news that the next DoW will be a bit more epic in scale, so you'll have more then 20 dudes running around. If that's the case it may diverge from CoH.

Regardless, stop crushing my dreams of seeing Homeworld 3, I need it :( I just bought Endless Space though, so hopefully that'll be my space-strategy fix.

Edit: ^^^@ Sonic H, Homeworld 2's campaign was bugged with a really ridiculous "AI-adjusting difficulty curve", so that the AI got better the better you played. I was doing beautifully till one of the final missions, when I gated in and was faced by something like 15 battlecruisers.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 22, 2012

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Presumably if they did it now it would be Homeworld: Terra: IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR

Wait, hold on, a WH40K space strategy game would be awesome.

A Homeworld-style battlefleet gothic RTS could quite possibly be the greatest thing in the history of things. I creamed my pants just thinking about it

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

synertia posted:

I used them to execute those begging guys. But they had it coming, they would get up and shoot you in the back.

And I agree with the stuff about new shooters, mostly mechanics and movement. Everything now is going for a more realistic feel so the running seems like moving through molasses. I miss being able to dodge and strafe around. Recently replaying Unreal for my backlog has really reminded me how much has changed.

I want Unreal Tournament 2k13 now. Bring back dodge-jumping in all it's glory, switching from your flak to rocket to whatever every 0.5 seconds, eating a concussion as you dive through a doorway, those were the days :sigh:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I dunno, to me Far Cry is a drag if you make it a drag. If you look at it as a series of missions to be accomplished, everything standing between you and that goal is just irritating. I play about half an hour a night, so my experience is less about bulleting straight through a mission or being a completionist, and more of just playing around with the game mechanics and doing unnecessary challenges, like trying to navigate without the magic map or not picking up a new set of weapons for a mission. It *is* a grossly imperfect game that would have been amazing with mods, though.

The side missions were the most fun for me in Far Cry 2, especially the convoys for the arms dealers.

Put down mines/c4, then sit on a hill with an RPG. Blow the first and last vehicles and just lay into the fuckers, my god it was the most fun I've had in an FPS for a long long time. Also the mortar, but it was drat hard to use effectively.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Yaaaaaay Startopia! And a new thread title! I actually had it on CD(?) for many years but I lost it and that made me very sad. Now I can get back to having greys perform experiments on the denizens of my station.

I need to get GW2 out of my system first though.

Speaking of rare game collections, I still have almost all my games from the 90s and early 00s in relatively good nick in those big-rear end boxes. They take up a fuckload of space, but I hold on to them in some forlorn hope that one or two of them may be worth a bit of money. In the age of GOG is it time I finally just threw them away?

Edit: Wish I hadn't traded Full Throttle for Fallout Tactics many moons past.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 5, 2012

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

KKnD was definitely a C&C rip-off, but an awesome one. I played through both campaigns many times, and enjoyed it far more than C&C. It has woolly-mammoths with mounted machine-guns, giant crabs carrying rocket launchers, and tanks that are essentially giant-miniguns. What's not to like?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

I bought Startopia and I'm running it without a problem except for one, in which the screen keeps flickering black at annoyingly frequent intervals. Anyone else had this problem?

Ya mine was doing the same. I played around in video options, I think it had something to do with the V-Sync, just try out a couple settings till it goes away.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Crimson Skies OMFG PLEASE

I had it originally, but it kept bugging on the "steal the jet-fighter" mission so I took it back to the store :negative:

gently caress you teenage Prawned, gently caress you.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I bought Nexus: The Jupiter Incident a few weeks ago and I'm really having a blast now that I've finally got around to playing it. I've always been a sucker for space-RTS, even though the scale of the battles is rather small at the moment (compared to something like Homeworld), the game is appropriately challenging and it's fun to just watch your ship(s) fly around.

Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes this sort of thing, hopefully on sale soon.

Edit: for words

Prawned fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 18, 2012

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

So I suppose I better buy this game and play it hey? I'm getting mixed signals from the thread.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I bought SS2 earlier today just fine.

Downloaded now, modded. Turning down the lights, speakers up, let's do this thing. (First time)

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

al-azad posted:

Return Fire has to be the most asked about game in the "what's the name of this game?" thread. It's such an iconic 90s game with a completely forgettable name.

Yeah it was pretty amazing. Now I want to play it so bad, but I know I'd probably only do so for all of 5 minutes before getting bored.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Magic carpet 2 is loving amazing, I've spent so long trying to get my old copy to work!

Genewars next please, thanks GOG.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Twiler posted:

Wait, what?

You enjoyed Gene Wars?

Zachack posted:

I used to be a massive uncontrollable Bullfrog fan and Genewars was my limit. It was just really dull (and iirc really hard).

How does it feel to be so incredibly, fantastically wrong?

Crabo-mule all day errday. (It was really loving hard though)

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

HoMM3 owns and you should buy it.

Buy HoMM3 everyday, ignore all others.

Edit: I think I own two hardcopies and I still bought it on GOG.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

dud root posted:

Was Syndicate Wars any good? I think my computer was under spec at the time so I missed it completely, but the original was a blast

It is a good game. Get a couple of Graviton Guns and Satellite Rain, go to town. I don't even think I finished the game cause I just spent all my time blowing up EVERYTHING.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Last I heard it was a pretty good source-port. Not amazingly full-featured or anything, but it's a definite step above running the DOS version.

I've been playing the DOSBOX version and having an absolute loving blast. The game is just as cool as I remember, just gotta save after every mission cause auto-save in modern games has spoiled me (I charged a police blockade with the persuadatron equipped and had my entire team was gunned down, then realised my last save was 2 missions previous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

THE BAR posted:

This is gonna be a stupidly good year for GOG, isn't it?

KKnD was a shitload of fun, but I never knew there was a sequel! Is it as good?