Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there an all around good setup for someone beginning to long-board? I'm not sure if it would be better to be stable and not being able to carve to slow down or a setup that allows for maneuverability but increases wobbliness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I bought a 40' Amber deck from Churchill and some Cadillac 70mm 80a Cruzers. Haven't decided on the rest yet. I just put the grip tape on and while the sides look quite haggard I'm happy so far.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I put the stripe in because the local skateshop didn't have any grip tape that was wide enough. I'm still researching trucks currently.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Budget Dracula, what are the width and wheelbase on that? Looks like a good starter cruiser. What are you looking for in a truck?

I measured it at 28' 1/2in for the wheelbase and around 9' 1/2in for the width. Basically I need something for cruising/carving that isn't going cause wheelbite.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah I re-measured it at 24.5in. I think I will go with the 10/180's for this setup because I mainly want it for cruising. If I decide to get into downhill (which will be pretty far off) I'll probably just put a new ride together. Thanks for all the tips!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I am having fun riding my Churchill long-board to work everyday. I bought a helmet and have only fallen off once. I think I should have reconsidered my setup though, after realizing how much speed you can pick up just going down small gradual hills.

Also, my town is full of traffic lights/stop signs and our gardening crew at work is always leaving their hoses all over the sidewalks. :downs:

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

FoxxorTheRed posted:

Churchill's are supposedly pretty good. One of the guys in my club just bought one I believe.

Yeah it is fun. I haven't had any problems with it but I am still trying to get a setup that I am comfortable with. I made the mistake of speeding down a fairly long hill just after loosening my trucks up for carving.

As the wobbles crept on I just had a mental image of that fat Youtube guy flying off into a cornfield going through my head. I suppose it was good experience to have in a controlled environment with grass to bail in rather than zing off into traffic.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu23ey-Q8zU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

How often do you replace bearings? I've been riding for about two months to work everyday and my rear right wheel spins freely for about five seconds, all the others are still going fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Heh reminds me of that clip from the gator documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHFIbN2PByQ