Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Cool, thank you very much for the effort post. This is the one Z Flex I was looking at but Reddit explained why pintails are a bad way to start for what I think I want to do. Especially the ground clearance. Looks like telling the shop(s) I want to build up a cruiser deck is the way to go. The campus I work on and would commute through is pretty standard multi-surface with areas of lovely cracked sidewalk, nice newer bike path, asphalt, etc., so I'd assumed a set of fat soft wheels and adjustable trucks (maybe on the softer end?) is necessary.

Re: the fitness aspect, yeah, I take that part seriously. I'm pretty active already, and my current exercise (other than walking or biking most places I go) is freeweights with a big focus on squats and deadlifts, i.e., leg and core stability. I'm 36, so I don't just jump into new activities with the gusto I once did. I play with my daughter and her neighborhood friends (3 - 12 years old) on their variety of wheeled toys a few times a week, so I see that as a slower way to ease into this and have fun with it. If it turns out it's not for me, it should be easy to flip this stuff to a college student without much loss and I've had fun trying it out.

yea the pintail isn't what I would go for, also I would try to find something smaller, but not too small.
Having a actual "kick tail" (curved up tail) on a skateboard is good cause it let's you learn to be a little more maneuverable. The kick tail makes it so you can lift your front wheels over cracks and stuff and also let's you do stuff like "tic-tacking" to keep speed/generate movement without pushing.
Something more along the lines of this: https://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/classic-dot-935-80s-cruzer-complete-cruiser-skateboard
Small cruiser decks can be fun but if you are starting out a larger one may help you feel more comfortable at first and I don't mean large like a long board deck.
I would stick to looking at setups that have a kick tail, there's a reason that kick tails are one of the major evolutions in skateboarding. They make it easier to control once you get the hang of it even if your not trying to pop sick ollies.

It sounds like you are in good shape so just take it slow and you will have fun. I like to try to do tricks and whatever but just riding a board is very fun and fulfilling. Whenever I have to take a break it's always kind of shocking to come back and realize just how much fun simply riding a skateboard is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mongoose posted:

I still do want to get out to a smooth skatepark with lots of transition with the larger board, but I'm a bit intimidated by skate culture and not having any friends to try it out with.

Also very much this. Especially commuting on a college campus, where most of these kids aren't much more than half my age. But on the other hand, there are a shitload of wobbly kids clearly just getting into it for the first time too.

I skated when I was young but stopped when friends started driving and kind of picked it up off and on a few times a year after that. Eventually I stopped completely when I was about 23 or so. I started again full time when I turned 30. I was very much intimidated by skaters and all that too. I started again by going to an abandoned grocery store parking lot and just trying to get it back. I would be worked for a couple of days after spending a few hours skating. Skating hard everyday seemed impossible. I eventually ran into a few other older dudes who came out to that same spot and we struck up a friendship. We've been skating together now for about 14 years and I'm 44 now.

regarding the skatepark, It's hard to do but don't let other folks make you feel any certain way. All of us our out here playing with kids toys and we all know that to the rest of the world we are not much different from kids riding razor scooters. My advice if you want to go to the skateapark is go there early, like before 12:00 PM (10:00 am is what I shoot for most days). The folks you will run into will mostly be old dudes, dumb kids or good skaters who know what's up. Just be chill, say wha'ts up, be friendly, but you don't need to talk anyone's ear off. Take note of the lanes people use, stay out of them if you aren't rolling and respect others' turns etc. Eventually you might run into your counter part and you guys can be skate buddies. It's always a little more fun to skate with a friend but skating alone is rewarding as well. Hoot and holler when something is cool, it stokes people up. I don't recommend listening to music on head phones because that just isolates you from others, but dudes that bring little boomboxes certainly help lighten the mood and that's cool as hell.

The most important thing is being consistent. I have to skate at least 2 times a week to keep things moving forward otherwise I start to regress.

Also, skating is probably the most zen thing I do, it's great for your brain. It turns off the world if you can get into it.
Skating is a lot of fun and you can be social and chill with people you wouldn't otherwise and so that's pretty cool.
good luck dudes!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 8, 2021

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anecdotal, but I feel like most people I've known who just wanted to cruise flats/populated areas and bought a longboard didnt end up happy for the reasons above plus the fact that they're large and unwieldy when you're off them. Not to put you off the idea, just stay open to other deck shapes and sizes because you can toss risers, giant trucks and cruiser wheels on just about anything.

Personally if I was putting something together for cruising right now I'd want some sort of big 80s revival asymmetrical deck, something like these

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks/classic-and-re-issue

I have a friend that's been skating a per welinder street deck lately.
That was one of the most bad rear end shapes back in the day.
I always wanted one.

I picked up one of the Ray Barbee new krooked shaped decks and I'm interested to see how I like that.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

XIII posted:

Anytime I've ridden a longboard I find myself getting extremely annoyed by not being able to pop ollies up little stuff or lift my nose up to drop off curb.

Also, who else grew up building ramps with zero knowledge of how they were supposed to be built? It was a big day in my friend group when we realized that you're not supposed to build a 4ft quartpipe that goes from flat to completely vertical. Might as well just be skating straight into a wall. I think one guy managed to "drop in" on it maaaaybe 3x and he was god of the group for it.

dude we had one launch ramp that was so big that no one could push hard enough at it to go off the end. It had to be put at the bottom of a hill just to get off of it.
One of my fav things would be the "mini-halfs" that would get build by compiling 4 of the neighborhood launch ramps. I'm pretty good at building ramps now but I'm really clueless as to how we managed to build anything back in the day. We had no idea what we were doing.

There's an instagram account that relives those days that's super cool: https://www.instagram.com/thepastparticiple/

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

So my local skate shops helped. They pretty much echoed what y'all said in here.
The first one pointed me at a couple cruisers (one was a Santa Cruz Cruzer posted upthread) and their shortest longboards. They had a few Quest boards that had a price I liked but turns out they're a brand commonly sold at Walmart.

Second shop didn't have a lot in the way of cruisers, but they did have a couple Arbors I kind of liked, the Pilsner (seems pretty small for a cruiser and new rider) and a Mission (felt good underfoot, wasn't too heavy). Both under $150. They had a handful of those Powell Peralta decks which are badass.

As far as local classifieds, I found a Sector 9 Laniakea and what I think is an Arbor Mission. I think they're about the same size, maybe on the longer end of cruisers but shorter than most longboards, and with a kick tail. Any reason those aren't ideal?

between the sector 9 and Arbor I would lean toward the arbor mission I think just based on the deck size? That sector 9 is pretty long at 36.75inches. The mission is 35 inches long, still long but not super duper long like the sector 9.
I actually have an arbor pislner that I use for cruising and it is small, but it's not too small, but probably smaller than what you are looking for right now, it measures 28.5 inches long, there's not much room for adjusting your foot placement.
the pislner is my small cruiser and then I have a regular sized shaped street deck for my other cruiser that's about 32 inches long which in my mind is kind of big.

I would say either go for santa cruz cruzer (31.7 inches long) or the arbor mission.
Once you get used to riding a board you'll be able to start having an opinion on what you like and don't like, so you have to start somewhere.
One thing to keep in mind is the arbor mission does come with the weird long board trucks, it doesn't really matter that much right now but it's good to understand.
notice how the kingpin on the mission oriented towards the front of the board:

vs. the sector 9 has the "regular street truck" kingpin orientation

everything can be replaced and is interchangeable, you can add other trucks, wheels etc. to any of those decks after the fact if you want.

also I'll add that Krooked Zip Zinger completes might be worth looking into but I can't find them in stock anywhere.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2021

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

gently caress yeah I should have started this years ago

you did the right thing, have fun.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Will my bushings stop squeaking so much?

never
just get used to it.

in the past I've tried using wax or oil to help with the squeaking but from my experience a lot of squeaking comes from the plastic pivot cup where the top part of truck connects to the base plate and pivots, instead of the bushings. so you have to take a part the truck to get to it to stick a little oil or wax in there.
That's just my experience though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

What are some good youtube channels for nice flowy videos of people skating around interesting cities or scenery with good music? I’ve really been digging Landyachtz and Arbor Collective stuff.

not sure this is what you are after but these come to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrafVGxl4-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OasqjWZRnwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oARsOWQDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RFfgZ7VpQs

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
well then you might like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9NBpXfSpLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dyZiumKkU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've not watched this yet but I got to post it

DISCUSSING SKATEBOARDING WITH FILMMAKER WERNER HERZOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLInlnfWUc

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/...Clo1zV6NBv7IXVE

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

DrHammond posted:

Hmm, maybe I should start by studying the ways of the Na-Kel.

Experience report: Just because you're excited to ride for the first time in 19 years and the skies finally cleared doesn't justify trying to take an inaugural ride on roads covered in branches and storm junk at night. It actually went okay except when I hit a gnarly crack and fell onto my elbow, which is fine, but I burst a blood vessel or some poo poo right on the point and it is HILARIOUSLY swollen in one really specific and small spot. 1/10 pain and full range of motion, but funny to look at and likely to be a gnarly level of black and blue by the weekend.

I'M BACK BABY!

(also holy poo poo 11 year old me made that look easy, I'm gassed after 3 miles.)

welcome to swell bow town
they are funny in a body horror way the first time you end up with one.

quote:

SWELLBOW
What it is: The classic swellbow, otherwise known as Olecranon Bursitis. A swellbow is caused by hitting the tip of your elbow bone, which causes inflammation and liquid (aka bursa) to fill up under the skin, making it look like a nut sack hanging from your arm.

Severity Factor: 1/10 to 7/10. A swellbow can either go away by itself, or it can easily get infected. If the liquid isn’t going away, surgery is going to be needed.

How to deal with it: If it’s not broken or infected, doctor’s recommend just not touching it or wearing an elbow pad (LOL). It’s possible the doctor may want to drain your elbow, but other than that, just relax.

What to avoid: Slamming on it again, trust.

Rehab: Relaxation and an ibuprofen. You should be good in a few days…unless it’s broken then it’s surgery time.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/...get%20infected.

keep skating dude,
It was hard as hell when I started back at 30. Skating a parking lot for a couple hours trying ollies and shuvs and stuff would work me for days.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

he's got a bad (good) case of the jumpies

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
That Gou part is one of my favs and that whole video is pretty dang good.
Especially the Chopper part and the Barrier Kult part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnlMN1jr4oo

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDxPha_WtgA

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Ideally you don't want to get wheel bite too easily but it's normal for it to happen if you lean way too far into something.
as henry mentioned the only way to combat wheel bite without otherwise altering the setup is to add riser pads.
then the board is further off the ground and slightly more work to push.
skateboarding!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
jesus christ

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Adolf Glitter posted:

^^ drat, that's rad as gently caress ^^

I have a sore face from smiling so hard through this wholesome poo poo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpsHh5nwe4

"I love feelin' the trees"

It was cool to finally see some stuff focusing on AA's personality and outlook. He's like the borderline kook/awesome skater. almost gonzish if I dare say.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
double postin'

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
RE: Rodney Mullen

"Give me the most sincere skateboarder you've got.
No that's too sincere"

I love Rodney.
He still has got claw hands landing style though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
claw hands

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TidyInnocentAfricanporcupine-mobile.mp4

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

While Rodney may have invented a lot of tricks, I think Ray Barbee was the biggest game changer.

Ray just kind of made it all look so easy.
Gonz and Natas broke a lot boundaries but their style is def not as easy as Ray's

https://i.imgur.com/2l4vg2d.mp4

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
it's good folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxndVxM9BxE

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I’ve been having a lingering pain in the ball of my pushing foot, right where it takes the most pressure at the final thrust in each push. I’m working on smoothing out the push so it’s a nice heel to toe roll rather than slapping the ground with a flat foot, but is it possibly a shoe problem as wel? I’m wearing older New Balance 515s, so there’s a bit of drop and not a ton of cushion left. I.e., probably not great skate shoes.

I would probably get some legit skate shoes to replace the new balance.
but pushing pain can come and go, sometimes you have to let your body take a breather and use the opportunity to start pushing switch with the other foot.
I'm partial to the Vans Kyle Walker Pro shoes (not the new Kyle Walker Pro 2 with velcro).
https://www.vans.com/shop/kyle-walker-pro

also since I'm old and my feet hurt sometimes I like to take out the stock insoles and put in Footprint Insoles "Game Changers" that you heat up to fit your feet. These insoles are not as heavily padded as stock insoles.

Sometimes I think having padding in the wrong places on the bottom of your shoes is worse than too little padding.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That round plantar grind near the end is some video game poo poo

yeah that one was funny cause at first I was like yeah man someone already did this one, and then he goes around a second time.:captainpop:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
still trippin' on this dashawn part .
never thought luau music would make for good skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxndVxM9BxE&t=547s

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I want to do swedish manuals or whatever now

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

wow this cookie fellow

unrelated 22:55 :eyepop:

that vid is sick

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

XIII posted:

Awwww hell yeah Cobra Man is fun as hell

I"ve been seeing them doing music for vids for a while, I know nothing about who they are but they do good skate vid music

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Squeezy Farm posted:

it sucks a lot of people are ripping off the zoom in on logos style from the supreme filmer. i don’t like it either.

it is so bad and makes me want to not look at skateboarding why is this happening?
I don't need a close up of everyone's facial expressions and their feet before a trick.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

jiggerypokery posted:

Been skating again for a week or so now for an hour or two a day. I have ollies, shuv-its down (like 90%) pop shuv its at about 30-40%.

I've been doing 50-100 attempted kickflips a day. I have the flick down in two different foot positions but cannot keep my back foot over the board to land it. I can land the front foot most of the time but it's like I pop the board up and instantly put my back foot down on the ground.

I can land them a bunch when I hold onto something to help me jump but I feel like I'm getting no where actually landing one.

Any ideas how to progress?

I was a back foot off guy with kick flips. I’m not great at them but it helped me to always try them rolling instead of standing still…it makes you do the jump.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

gay for gacha posted:

Any tips on front side airs in bowls? I can't get air at all. And if I go to fast I get kind of scared and bail at the coping.

Or better: how did you learn to air?

I learned how to do early grabs under the lip first. Backside is easier but this can apply to front side as well. If you can get used to doing the pull up/jump up and turn low on the ramp you can start doing little airs and this will help you feel comfortable. The hardest part of airs is getting the landing to work.

I don’t find This helpful for front side but this helps with backside a lot: act like you are going to do the air at the lip but instead just do the kickturn/pivot while trying to grab the side of your nose. Don’t worry about the air part. This gets you used to completing the “move” and get you ready for taking it higher. This technique may work for frontside too, think about a one motion scoop with grabbing hand and the turn.

Also keeping the approach angle shallower (close to parallel with the lip instead of perpendicular) will help you cheat with the turn.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Eat The Rich posted:

Ok cool. I'm gonna try to get out of pushing mongo. I'm basically comfortable riding goofy. Thanks for the insight everyone

Something that helps me when pushing with my other foot (switch) is to try not to fully press into the board with my foot that is still on the board. Instead, float it a bit as you push with most of your weight on the pushing foot. For me this helps keep me from doing the dumb things that make the board steer wrong.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wear the gear if you want to, you’re old and skating, do what you want.
I don’t wear a helmet cause I get sweaty as a mofo but I also keep it easy with what I’m comfy with and not trying to push my limits but I skate with dudes in helmets who get radder than me.
Helmys are cool and leading elbow pads are must if you are getting dumped but I’m usually skating to make it to next weekend.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My partner took one bad fall on their wrists in the earliest days of learning and only really just started properly healing from it, skating in your 30s ain't no joke.

I've been really enjoying chill cruising through the woods near me recently. I've gotten p good at carving and making speed last on flat and downhill. Sunset cruising is a really nice time.

I go out sometimes with my old bud and we sunset cruise a slight downhill with soft wheels in a large church parking lot that doesn’t dead end (either way you end up going back up the hill) and it’s an easy way to have fun but it can get gnarly if you want to go. skateboarding of any type is real cool and you should do it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Holy poo poo

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Two tricks followed by "I'm too tired..." feels too real right now.

I’m on vacation at the beach and there is a skatepark near by I went to this morning and I swear the salt air/humidity makes it so I can’t catch my breath. Skating at 40+ rules. Plus it so hot!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

They also had a guy on their payroll who was grooming kids.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I got through a lot of the Andy Anderson interview and I as others have mentioned I didn't think I could like that guy more but he seems like a real good person and a huge skate nerd which is rad.
I love how George Powell just put him on the Powell team himself, it's kind of funny.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 21, 2021

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

jiggerypokery posted:

That arron kyro? He has really creepy vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!