Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
Director: Gavin Hood
Writers: David Benioff (written by)

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber

I just got back from a studio screening of Wolverine and to be optimistic about it, I wrote a small chart by group of whether you will or wont like this movie.

Wolverine Origin Purest: Don't see it
Wolverine Comic Fan/ no knowledge of origin: 50/50 whether you'll like it
Wolverine fans with origin knowledge: Nope
Wolverine from Movie Fans: You wont be disappointed

X-Men fans: Maybe, it's hard to say with all the discrepancies between film and comic.
X-Men Comic Fan: Stay away, far away
X-Men movie fans: You will enjoy this cause it stays within the plot lines and style as previous films

The movie has some grace and style and is done in the same fashion as the previous X-Men movies. The style and film direction stay true to the original films. So much so it's like they took deleted scenes from the first 3 movies and put them together in a story line of how Wolverine became Wolverine.

I must preface this by saying that if you are remotely expecting to see some familiar origin plot you are sadly mistaken. This is a brand new plot made specifically for this movie. The plot is alright, but combine it with a lack of character development ranging form Deadpool to Gambit and you have a movie filled with characters you don't care about. The cameo characters make up of about 5% of the entire movie. This movie has 3 characters, Wolverine, Sabertooth, and Stryker. All other characters can be dismissed or interchanged within themselves without having to even know them.

The movie was not all disappointing. It had some elements of the origin comic, but played fast and loose with them. The pieces you want to last go by quickly and the parts that you want to move fast slowly drag on. The pace is very similar to X-Men: The Last Stand. It moves slow and fast but the fast parts make up 20% of the good in this movie.

Since I am a fan of Hugh Jackman and Wolverine I did enjoy the movie making sure I kept my movies from my comics separated. It wasn't the worst movie ever looking back on it. My issues were more with how the story was written so far from the origin story told in the comics more than anything. If I knew nothing of that story it might have been plausible.

The parts of the movie I really hated and have problems with I can't talk about because it: 1. Gives too much of the plot away, 2. Does not explain the events that happen in the comic book ad 3. Really conflicts with the first movie... a lot. So much so that I would say that this movie does not happen in the same X-Men universe since there are multiple. This could be the zombie universe and that would be alright.

Either way I liked and disliked this movie for what it was and what it could have been. Characters needed to be developed more... more more more. More Deadpool, more Blob, more of Team-X. Wondering about Japan? Yeah no Japan, just Canada.

Over all I give it a 3/5 and I am being generous because I enjoyed the movie, but not the story.

Good: Wolverine Bone Claws, Wolverine Adamentium Claws, Stabbing Things.
Bad: Character Development, Plot, Movie pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I had low expectations for this movie, as I considered the third X Men movie to be pretty god awful compared to the previous two. If like me you expect absolutely nothing fantastic or relevant in this movie then you might enjoy it. On the other hand if you're looking for the next Iron Man or Dark Knight then wait for the DvD and save yourself a couple bucks.

Wolverine's introduction is easily the best part of the movie. A montage of war over the past one-hundred and fifty years, and naturally Logan's always in the front lines fighting for whatever reason compels him to do so. When that ends we're flung into a fairly average film. Logan meets people he doesn't like, omfg they're so evil, omfg Logan blows up stuff, fight, fight, why the hell does Gambit have telekinetic powers, more fighting, no real surprise, random scene of mutants for the fan boys, fight, Captain Picard, end. Honestly I just ruined the whole movie for you with that explanation. Sorry about that.

This film completely lacks any witty banter on the part of Logan, and the villains never seem to have any agenda that makes sense. Seriously, the big goal is to shoot Wolverine knowing that it won't kill him anyway.

All in all 2 out of 5. Ranks right up there with the first Hulk film, but not quite as edgy.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Just got back from the midnight showing...and I'm going to keep it short and simple:

No compelling story, no neat fight scenes, no witty banter from Logan, no amusing anything from Deadpool, no use of secondary characters, no real plot development, no reason to see it in theaters. Wait for DVD or skip it entirely. However, it was in fact marginally better than Spiderman 3 or X-Men 3, but I think that's because I went in with no expectations of...anything good, and it succeeded. Barely.

A generous 2/5. Probably because I stayed awake somehow. What a lousy movie.

Edit: Liar's plot summary was really accurate.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 1, 2009

Bulbous Goiter
Sep 15, 2003
Whatchu' Talkin Bout?
Can't really add much to what has already been said as I agree with almost all of it. One other thing that really irked me was the special effects in some scenes. They seemed really poor especially in the scene where he is playing with his claws in the bathroom.

It was a bit of fun, but certainly doesn't live up to the first 2 X-Men movies in terms of overall quality, probably similar to X-Men 3.

3/5

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I really enjoyed the first half of this movie. They should have made the entire movie about Weapon-X. Also, what they did to deadpool was retarded. I honestly think they should have had another "Villian" at the end. Make it Omega Red or something.

3/5 Average, but could have been so much more. Also, I hate how much of a pussy wolverine is in the movies. They really need to make these rated R and have some loving blood for crying out loud.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I put this movie up with X-Men 3. It's enjoyable on the visceral special effects/action level, but in terms of narrative it has some problems.

Deadpool as Wade was entertaining; Deadpool as Deadpool was atrocious. If you enjoy Deadpool at all, you'll probably walk away pissed off. Their treatment of the character is baffling. Generally comic book movies change things for the benefit of a general audience, but this element (which really eats up 20 of the last 30 minutes of movie) is so poorly explain/implemented. The character is totally squandered.

There are a couple fun nods and characters. Kestral is a fun addition, the Blob scenes are worth a couple cheap laughs.

The Wolverine/Sabertooth relationship was different, but I don't find it too problematic. If you can accept the Ultimate universe this should sit fine with you, but if you believe in the one story-line as cannon you'll probably take issue.

As previously noted, charter development for all the sub-charters was very much lacking.

3/5

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hardly enjoyed anything about this movie except some of the side characters. I found the film pretty devoid of substance and mostly built around comic book cliches that weren't really used as effective dramatic tools or toward building Wolverine as a person. I'm ok with films using "cliches" or common dramatic devices, as long as they have a symbioses with the arc of the film. Everything about the content of Wolverine just seems completely shallow.

I also wasn't really that captivated by the special effects or the action sequences in the film. The final fight of the film mostly takes place in 2 dimensions. Most fights occur according to the same awful formula that bad action movies have been using for years: Badass hero gets off to a good start, Badass hero faces death, Badass hero finds some clever way out.

I did enjoy Ryan Reynolds (pre-op) and Kein Durand, a lot. They brought a lot of personality and substance to their roles that was missing from the rest of the film.

1/5

Snakeskin
Aug 19, 2007

by Peatpot
An awful wank-fest. The plot was terrible, even for a comic book movie revealing that they have a gun that will work on Wolverine 2 seconds after sending the dude who NEVER loving MISSES to his death was staggeringly retarded The special effects were really inconsistent, especially with Wolverine's claws. For a movie with so many fights the the complete lack of gore was really jarring.

The characters were all jerked around as everyone knew they would be, and Will.I.Am is one of the worst actors ever. Every time he opens his mouth its painful. Pretty much all the characters are one move gimmicks, even Wade, who doesn't pull out a gun the entire time. Sabretooth was pretty cool but that was basically the only redeeming part of the movie.

1/5

Resident Hero
Sep 27, 2005

The preciousness of invention lies in the lonely mind of a man.
I enjoyed the movie until the final 10 minutes when in a universe filled with mutants, they went with "magic bullet that wipes the protagnist's mind". It all sort of caught me off guard at the end ruining what would've been a passable action movie. I'm not a fan of Reynolds in action movies either, so Deadpool felt completely boring to me from start to finish.

2.5/5

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Wolverine is a fun popcorn movie if you don't think too hard about it and don't get wrapped up in the fan wankery. I personally don't care what it does to the comic origin story; the X-Men film franchise has always been different. And I like Deadpool too, but what they did to him was no big deal to me because it's an origin story so they can pretty much go anywhere from here. That said, I enjoyed Ryan Reynolds more than I usually do, in what little he had to work with. If you enjoyed Hugh Jackman as Wolverine before, you'll probably feel the same about him here.

Characters were one-dimensional and the central story was pretty bland and full of cliches, but that's par for the course in Marvel movies. The action scenes were pretty cool though, and that's pretty much the only reason to watch because the plot and dialogue of comic films is likely never going to improve. I'd say I enjoyed it more than the 1st and 3rd X-Men films, but the 2nd blows all of them away (and pretty much already covered the Wolverine/Weapon X origin story). It held my attention, but I didn't feel like they really needed it since we more or less already saw it.

The one thing I will say was well above mediocre was Danny Huston doing a surprisingly good Brian Cox impression. He wasn't so much a good Stryker as a good Brian Cox AS Stryker, much in the way that Ewan McGregor channeling Alec Guinness was one of the few really good things about Star Wars eps 1-3.

I'll give it a 2.5/5, and for thread voting purposes rounding up to a generous 3/5.

Zombie Layne
Aug 16, 2008

by Ozma
This movie has some of the worst obligatory CGI that i've ever seen. It's really really not necessary to see Liev Schreiber run across the floor on all fours and on the wall especially when the CGI looks like absolute rear end. We also don't need to see dozens of upside down flips with blades and guns that we've seen hundreds of times in other films. There was also no need to show the blob or explain why he got that way since any seriousness in the movie was ruined as soon as we saw the actor in the fat suit.

With that being said some of the casting decisions in this movie are utterly bizarre. Much has been said about Will.I.Am's lack of acting ability but why the gently caress would you cast Leiv Schreiber as sabretooth? They cast someone who has made a living playing every generic middle aged white executive/businessman on tv into what was supposed to be one of the nastiest most badass villians in the marvel universe. They also took a potentially great character (Deadpool) and totally wasted it.

The deviations from Wolverine's comic origins aren't really the most noteworthy faults it's everything else and the unfathomable half-assed way they made this movie which makes you wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

This movie is right up there with Daredevil in failed potential.

Completely disappointing but still worth a rental. 2/5

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I give precisely zero shits about comics, so from the perspective of the average film-watcher that I am: I liked it. If you like explosions, fighting, and the idea of Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber going GRRRR a lot, you will also like it.

An entertaining, brainless way to spend a couple of hours. 3/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

statue of david
Sep 27, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Things explode, mutants fight on top of nuclear cooling towers and fly into helicopters. Standard action film, devoid of story or characters.

2/5