Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

That ball is going to crumple at the first touch from your dog.

Solid joke aside, those Nike balls are surprisingly resilient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally scored my first volley.

8 yards out from the right side, a teammate deflected a clearance high in the air from about 15 yards out on the left side, and it had so much spin all I had to do was guide it along. Rocketed into the top corner, :feelsgood:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally won the league, feels good.

We haven't made playoffs in our 18-month existence, but we finally put together a cohesive squad with balance.

Oh and our fat Serbian striker who doesn't track back is on vacation. Which was perfect because the two teams we faced were the youngest and fastest among the four teams in the semis

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
This guy I play pick-up with said I remind him of Christian Eriksen. Probably the best soccer compliment I've ever received.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geno posted:

This guy I play pick-up with said I remind him of Christian Eriksen. Probably the best soccer compliment I've ever received.

Balding?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Playing this week in the reserves, and we've got so many injuries and other outs that we've called up half of the team I started playing with back in 2008. Most of them haven't kicked a ball in years and I'm so loving excited to be playing with my old mates again

Taking on our cashed-up local rivals in a promotion fight as well.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Match report: it did not go well :(

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Another season managing a team, another player who doesn't pay me and goes AWOL :dawkins101:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Geno posted:

Another season managing a team, another player who doesn't pay me and goes AWOL :dawkins101:

Do you take match fees? We used to have every player chip in a fiver in each match, but there were always the standard dickheads who could never scrounge together the cash each week.

Now our yearly rego is about $100 higher because the club got sick of people not chipping in each week, we all pay in bulk at the start of the season

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Tongues posted:

Do you take match fees? We used to have every player chip in a fiver in each match, but there were always the standard dickheads who could never scrounge together the cash each week.

Now our yearly rego is about $100 higher because the club got sick of people not chipping in each week, we all pay in bulk at the start of the season

Nope, well, there are $9 ref fees per game where everyone pitches in a $1 but some people never brought money so now I pay for the ref fess and add the total ref fees into the season cost.

I pay for the league fee and everyone Venmo/Paypals me the fees. Some don't have Venmo/Paypal so they have to pay me in cash. It's usually those people that are the hardest to pay.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

Nope, well, there are $9 ref fees per game where everyone pitches in a $1 but some people never brought money so now I pay for the ref fess and add the total ref fees into the season cost.

I pay for the league fee and everyone Venmo/Paypals me the fees. Some don't have Venmo/Paypal so they have to pay me in cash. It's usually those people that are the hardest to pay.

MONEY UP FRONT OR YOU DON’T PLAY

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shrapnig posted:

Yep, this is pretty much the case as down here. Some people are terminally unreliable with match fees and you'll always have more than one per squad, and over a season that becomes a fair chunk of money.

It has the added bonus of people showing up to take part because they've already paid at the start of the season

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Geno posted:

Condolences, our last futsal keeper was 2 or 3 sessions behind on fees and then just completely ghosted us. We've got a setup where fees are paid in advance by TAFC* to make it easier on managers, then all the players will pay back the org. Normally it's a pretty good setup and everybody pays their fees by the end of the session, however my friend who's manages this team has to say "I have no loving clue where he & his money went" on a weekly basis.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I went to buy a new skill ball tonight, and Nike is the only one that stands up to a month or two of a German Shepherd.

What do you mean by "skill ball"? One of my dogs will chase a kicked ball for hours but he will also try to pop anything with an intact bladder if he gets the chance. I'd like something that will hold up to that and still feel right coming off my foot.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our team wears blue and one guy had navy blue and the ref wouldn't let him play, despite the other team wearing white.

So one guy on our team points out that they have someone in grey and the ref stopped the game until both found a shirt. Neither team had subs.

They tried this monotone color rule like 6 months ago and failed, it's utterly asinine

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Condolences, our last futsal keeper was 2 or 3 sessions behind on fees and then just completely ghosted us. We've got a setup where fees are paid in advance by TAFC* to make it easier on managers, then all the players will pay back the org. Normally it's a pretty good setup and everybody pays their fees by the end of the session, however my friend who's manages this team has to say "I have no loving clue where he & his money went" on a weekly basis.

What do you mean by "skill ball"? One of my dogs will chase a kicked ball for hours but he will also try to pop anything with an intact bladder if he gets the chance. I'd like something that will hold up to that and still feel right coming off my foot.

They sell em at most sporting goods stores, like 13 bucks but my dog loves em, I go through like 2 a month in the summer, 1 the rest of the year, usually

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Our team wears blue and one guy had navy blue and the ref wouldn't let him play, despite the other team wearing white.

So one guy on our team points out that they have someone in grey and the ref stopped the game until both found a shirt. Neither team had subs.

They tried this monotone color rule like 6 months ago and failed, it's utterly asinine

This makes no loving sense in a pay to play league, that ref should be thrown out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

TheBigAristotle posted:

My team wears yellow with dark blue shorts and I am in all black in goals, and last week we played a team in white and red stripes. The ref made one of our players go off and find shorts last week since his black shorts apparently conflicted with mine (apparently the yellow and black shirts must have looked too close to him)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shrapnig posted:

This makes no loving sense in a pay to play league, that ref should be thrown out.
Yeah I've seen many flavors of bad reffing over the years (and I always say you shouldn't expect refs to be better refs than we are as players) but I've never seen this.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I took a Mata-esque first touch on a long ball, on the run from over my head last night.

Then I turned to pass to a teammate a couple yards away, except I'm a self-trained moron so I misplaced it directly to the opponent a yard to his left.

Still won 13-4, so gently caress it. But yeah, me in a nutshell.

highme
May 25, 2001

I play in a Wednesday night & Thursday night co-ed futsal teams. We get a couple of games a session scheduled on Fridays, so of course this week both teams play on Friday. It's not horrible but tonight the games are 6:50 and 9:50 and we may be short a sub for each gender for the late game. So I'm expecting minimal tracking back on defense in the 2nd game.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

highme posted:

I play in a Wednesday night & Thursday night co-ed futsal teams. We get a couple of games a session scheduled on Fridays, so of course this week both teams play on Friday. It's not horrible but tonight the games are 6:50 and 9:50 and we may be short a sub for each gender for the late game. So I'm expecting minimal tracking back on defense in the 2nd game.

my team is lucky if we can field 5 players for games before 7 or after 9, but give us a game at 8 and we've got fuckin 15 people queuing up to play

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Bogan Krkic posted:

we've got fuckin 15 people queuing up to play

i play on team paid by my friend's work. since no one has to pay, people keep inviting their friends to play and now we've got like 6 subs every game when we only need like 1-2 subs. hate it so much

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

we just cap it at 2 subs. as soon as the game times get posted in the group chat, its first in first served

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

New season starts in a couple weeks and that means new boots for the first time in a couple years.

I decided to go for something more traditional as opposed to the lairy colorways I usually wear. Mizuno Morelia Neo for life.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-FG-Made-In-Japan-Black-Blue-Atoll-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202623.aspx

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

New season starts in a couple weeks and that means new boots for the first time in a couple years.

I decided to go for something more traditional as opposed to the lairy colorways I usually wear. Mizuno Morelia Neo for life.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-FG-Made-In-Japan-Black-Blue-Atoll-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202623.aspx

I saw the price in pounds and was all :monocle: but then I remembered what exchange rate has cratered to lol. They look good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I saw the price in pounds and was all :monocle: but then I remembered what exchange rate has cratered to lol. They look good.

I actually got them for about the same price as that but in Ameribucks.

https://www.soccer.com/shop/details/mizuno-morelia-neo-ii-mij-soccer-cleat-black-blue-atoll_A1027190

Goal Club price plus another 10% off and free shipping thrown in which is always nice.

If you're American and order soccer stuff even semi-regularly, getting a lifetime Goal Club membership at soccer.com is totally worth it. It's a $25 one time payment and you get 10% off every purchase for life, the boots I just bought paid for the Goal Club membership. I also get coupons in the mail a couple times a year for $10 or $20 off an order. You also accumulate points based on how much you spend, the exchange rate is crap, it's like a $10 gift card for every $300 spent but with the cost of boots these days that could add up pretty quickly. I think you can also accumulate points from team orders so if you can foot the bill, order your team's new kit with your account and redeem the points for a nice gift card for yourself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Friendship ended with this post, these are my new best friend.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-Beta-FG-Silver-Gold-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202638.aspx

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
The winger-est of boots

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recently got back into football and am shopping for boots. I have pretty broad feet and football boots are almost universally extremely skinny. Any suggestions?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Copas. The answer is always copa mundial

they can be pretty expensive, but they're the only boot I've used year in year out and not had any issues. Heaps of the pitches here are 3g as well, and the round studs just seem to be better all round on rubber pitches

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you have disgusto duck feet like me and copas aren't wide enough (yeah with painful time the leather stretches but then your foot is hanging over the side of the sole which can lead to some hilarious falls when you change direction), check out
https://www.widesoccercleats.net/12-wide-soccer-cleats
for a list of options.

Obviously, see if you can buy them somewhere else. This guy's business is reimporting shoes from Japan (where feet tend to be a little wider), and you pay like double what you should.

highme
May 25, 2001

Got myself a hell of a half court goal in futsal last week. Was right off the restart, hit the poo poo out of it with my left and beat 2 defenders and the keeper burying it in the side netting.

I need some new indoors and since I don't really play outdoor much anymore I'm going to to pare down that collection a bit. Somehow I have ended up with a pile of nice Nike boots size 12ish, I'll probably post an SA Mart thread at some point, but in the meantime, if you've got big feets and can wear Nike boots hit me up, they'll be cheap.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
After 20 months, my $30 Tiempos finally are wearing out.

They've lasted almost an year longer than my $220 Hypervenoms or $160 Tiempos.

highme
May 25, 2001

Playing in a 7v7 tournament on Saturday and have 2 futsal matches this week. Instead of playing last week I hosed off to Central Oregon with my wife and drank beer. Here's hoping I'm not puking too much by the end of day on Saturday.

highme
May 25, 2001

Even a 7v7 game has too much sustained running for my futsal playing rear end. Even only (3) 30 minute games crushed my legs.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New league starts in September and we're getting new turf, which is exciting

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
My local futsal league just posted a video of us coming from 5 nil down to win 9-7.

In other news, turns out I'm way fatter than I suspected

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My team picked up a former MLS Best XI player a couple weeks ago who is now retired. He hasn’t been out to a game or anything yet but I imagine it’ll be hilarious if he does show. Over-30 league for the record.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shrapnig posted:

My team picked up a former MLS Best XI player a couple weeks ago who is now retired. He hasn’t been out to a game or anything yet but I imagine it’ll be hilarious if he does show. Over-30 league for the record.

Lazarusing this thread to get an update Shrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing an outdoor league game tomorrow. hosed my ankle up pretty badly back in November, then covid went wild. Been doing the normal thing with the dog, getting a lot of reps in, but my fitness is trash.

Decided to treat my drat self, and these were half-off. The benefit of wearing 13s, they just sit around the local store forever then go on clearance :woop:

They're pretty nice so far, tough to tell though, my backyard is fairly soft today. I've never bought kangaroo leather before, but for a hundred bucks, I felt fine. I had missed out on two sessions of indoor league that were $160, so really I saved money