Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The thing about Salem's Lot I forget the most is instead of being a scrawny nerd, Mark is a nerd but tall for his age and used that to maximize his gains and just beats up anyone that pushes him too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Big turtle species named Maturin.

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-newly-fossil-giant-turtle-stephen.html

:cool:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

maybe its named after stephen maturin from the aubrey/maturin novels as portrayed by paul bettany in the film master and commander of the far side of the world
edit: i clicked on the article and it says the scientists named it after king’s turtle, but they could be lying. we cant completely rule out my theory

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thinnies are now battlefields.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

scary ghost dog posted:

maybe its named after stephen maturin from the aubrey/maturin novels as portrayed by paul bettany in the film master and commander of the far side of the world
edit: i clicked on the article and it says the scientists named it after king’s turtle, but they could be lying. we cant completely rule out my theory

King named his turtle after the good doctor iirc so you're still right with a degree of separation

jammiesjammer
Feb 14, 2023
How did yall find Holly? I'm almost finished with it and have enjoyed it but gently caress it's gotten annoying a tad with some of the ramblings from Holly, Emily and Rod. At the same time it makes sense to me with Holly having OCD and how concerning it is to her. It's neat that it feels fresh since the COVID pandemic and all the trump-biden shitshow are ongoing for a repeat irl. I guess that's the main problem I've had with it has it's been very topical to the point it gets annoying so I avoided when it came out because of the amount of publicity around it from trumpers and libs I'm going to finish The Wind Through The Keyhole when I'm done with this since I read half of it and misplaced it in 2019 and love anything Dark Tower.

Will try and give Salems Lot a read in the next month or two since I adored the miniseries as a kid, it was epic so excited to read it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

jammiesjammer posted:

Will try and give Salem's Lot a read in the next month or two since I adored the miniseries as a kid, it was epic so excited to read it.

Salem's Lot is great. It's one of King's earliest books (second, actually) and somehow I never got around to reading it until like 5 years ago. Reminds me a little bit of Under the Dome in the way that he gradually decomposes an entire town but in SL, it's much quieter and not nearly as chaotic and violent.

It's a really cool slow burn take on traditional vampire lore.

I'm also with you with the David Soul 70's TV series. That show set my school on fire with word of mouth and every kid I knew was talking about it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's really cool that his style was basically worked out from book 2: do some nonlinearity, put a guy in a spooky town in New England, let stuff kick off.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's true; there's a bunch of sequences in Salem's Lot that I always think happened in IT, because it seems like later, more fully formed King. I'm thinking specifically about the long "the town gets under your skin" sequence, which feels like it should be talking about Derry.

But no, it's just King being an absolute maniac from day one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I still think Salem's Lot is one of his scariest books, so much dread.

I recently finished re-reading Desperation and The Regulators for the first time in 20 years or more, and they were both slightly better than I remembered. Now I'm reading Roadwork for the first time, it's very slow so far.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Holy poo poo Gerald's game.

I delayed reading this one because i didn't know how much you could make out of the premise.

Probably one of his best novels, top tier. Horrific, emotional, overall best.

He really is so much better when sticking to realistic scenarios.

Edit: holy poo poo, i was thinking how weird it was that this had never been adapted, but it does have a movie, and it's written and directed by Flanagan. And it{s apparently the weird good King adaptation?? Incredible

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 31, 2024

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Finished The Dark Tower and really liked the ending. I initially thought the consecutive deaths during the final book would overshadow everything and sour me on the series, especially the last two, but I think he pulled the ending off and couldn't have ended it any other way. It also helped reading/hearing other people's thoughts on the series and I picked up a few things I missed. Such a good series and I am happy I read it. Going to eventually read The Wind Through the Keyhole but need a big break.

err fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 1, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you've got premium, Spotify now has the very good audiobook of From a Buick Eight that is strangely hard to find. I think it's even better than reading the printed version. It's a story made for an audio production.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you've got premium, Spotify now has the very good audiobook of From a Buick Eight that is strangely hard to find. I think it's even better than reading the printed version. It's a story made for an audio production.

How do I find this, I thought spotify only had Audiobooks and podcasts?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

LochNessMonster posted:

Just search for it, it's there

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Well it’s an audiobook… so…

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RCarr posted:

Well it’s an audiobook… so…

Brain malfunction :aaaaa:. I meant music and podcasts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Holy poo poo Gerald's game.

I delayed reading this one because i didn't know how much you could make out of the premise.

Probably one of his best novels, top tier. Horrific, emotional, overall best.

He really is so much better when sticking to realistic scenarios.

Edit: holy poo poo, i was thinking how weird it was that this had never been adapted, but it does have a movie, and it's written and directed by Flanagan. And it{s apparently the weird good King adaptation?? Incredible

The movie and the book are great. For whatever reason, it's not very well regarded in the thread.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Gerald's Game. I don't love the twist in the end, it's the goofiest part of the book, but the story is intense, upsetting, terrifying and psychologically fascinating for the most part. It's a lot like Misery pacing-wise.

I also like King engaging some with feminism and earnestly trying to write about women in a more holistic way, which is a repeated theme in his early 90s work. Of the ones I've read from that period, Gerald's Game is the strongest example of King taking a shot at a feminist story - along with its sister novel Dolores Claiborne, which I don't like as much but which is solid and hits those themes from a different angle.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Rose Madder is another one of his books that I really like that a lot of people seem down on. I think Rosie is a good character, and Norman is incredibly scary to me.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's everyone's opinion on N.? Spotify premium is letting me listen to some King books I've never read/listened to before and N. is top of my list (after a Wizard & Glass rehash).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Brain malfunction :aaaaa:. I meant music and podcasts.

Keep in mind that the audiobooks are
1- only for spotify premium
2- have an monthly limit to how many hours of audiobooks you can listen to

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's everyone's opinion on N.? Spotify premium is letting me listen to some King books I've never read/listened to before and N. is top of my list (after a Wizard & Glass rehash).

I liked N, but it is kind of quirky, and fairly short.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leave posted:

Rose Madder is another one of his books that I really like that a lot of people seem down on. I think Rosie is a good character, and Norman is incredibly scary to me.

Same. I red it twice, about 20 years apart, and it held up for me both times. Could make a good movie I think.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Can we come with an exhaustive list of Stephen King characters who just do their jobs? Most of them don't have anything bad happen to them. They just do their jobs and don't bother anyone

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

King seems to like the wise janitor or groundskeeper that no one pays attention to but who knows exactly what's going on. I'm surprised he never learned about Star Trek's Boothby.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

joepinetree posted:

Keep in mind that the audiobooks are
1- only for spotify premium
2- have an monthly limit to how many hours of audiobooks you can listen to

I liked N, but it is kind of quirky, and fairly short.

I’m on a Family plan, unfortunately only the manager of the plan seems to get access to audiobooks :negative:

Same goes for a Duo plan by the looks of it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Leave posted:

Rose Madder gets weird when Rosie edits her boyfriends memories without his consent. The narration even points out that for as much as it's supposed to be for his own good she's also specifically motivated by the fear that he might leave her if he remembers what happened, and goes through with it even though she's worried it might kill him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Crespolini posted:

Rose Madder gets weird when Rosie edits her boyfriends memories without his consent. The narration even points out that for as much as it's supposed to be for his own good she's also specifically motivated by the fear that he might leave her if he remembers what happened, and goes through with it even though she's worried it might kill him.

That's one thing I like about it; Rosie is a very damaged person, and is trying to help Bill, but she's become selfish. I think it's like part of the mark that Rose Madder has left upon her, an eldritch influence that has helped Rosie Real grow, and not necessarily in a good way.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The poison tree.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Edgar Wright Will Direct Glen Powell in Stephen King Adaptation The Running Man

https://gizmodo.com/glen-powell-will-star-edgar-wright-running-man-remake-1851403946

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Leave posted:

It's just so bloated and aimless that I couldn't enjoy the good aspects of it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Trying to think of a garbage King adaptation (there are several) that would benefit most from a remake. I guess Dark Tower is the obvious choice but I've never seen it. I'm thinking maybe The Tommyknockers or Under the Dome.

A proper remake of Thinner is an idea because it's a good book.

Needful Things maybe? The movie was nowhere near darkly funny enough.

The Stand desperately needs a good one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

deoju posted:

Edgar Wright Will Direct Glen Powell in Stephen King Adaptation The Running Man

https://gizmodo.com/glen-powell-will-star-edgar-wright-running-man-remake-1851403946

dont know who glen powell is but im so down for this. ive long considered the running man a top 5 king book

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Leave posted:

That's one thing I like about it; Rosie is a very damaged person, and is trying to help Bill, but she's become selfish. I think it's like part of the mark that Rose Madder has left upon her, an eldritch influence that has helped Rosie Real grow, and not necessarily in a good way.

Yeah, but I never felt the story was really trying to say that so much as the problem was presented as her becoming possessed or whatever. And when they fix that it's treated as now everythings fine? Except it never goes back to confront how he might not actually have chosen this himself.

I dunno. I'm just always weirded out by fiction where they kinda breeze past the use of mind control or memory wipes and every type of thing like that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It certainly feels like a solution to her problems, and it's not a good one. I'll admit, it's far from flawless and there are parts of the book that just drag, but it's one of those that just works for me.

For what it's worth, I don't think Rosie and Bill have much of a future.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Leave posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think Rosie and Bill have much of a future.

Yeah same. Whenever King catches us up on characters, things often don't turn out well for them. Wendy Torrance dies of lung cancer. Thad Beaumont commits suicide. If he returned to Rosie and Bill, I'm sure we'd find them divorced (or Bill dead).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So it goes.

Similarly, the chapter in The Stand about all the people who survived the plague only to die from falling off a ladder or eating an expired can of tomatoes is so bleak and so good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Philippe posted:

So it goes.

Similarly, the chapter in The Stand about all the people who survived the plague only to die from falling off a ladder or eating an expired can of tomatoes is so bleak and so good.

The crying traumatized little girl who falls down a well or something is the most depressing.

Although the crazy spinster lady who tries to shoot someone with an old gun and ends up blowing herself up is my second favorite because of how the audiobook narrator said, "No great loss."

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
My favorite part of the stand was when the kid lit the oil reservoir on fire and it exploded.

... well there may be parts I would like better but I never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cleuseau Remos posted:

My favorite part of the stand was when the kid lit the oil reservoir on fire and it exploded.

... well there may be parts I would like better but I never finished it.

That was Waterworld.