Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Monarch posted:

Well because programs (aka Steam) are my biggest space hogs anyway, so there's no point in doing a separate partition if I'm going to have both the OS as well as my programs on a single one.

Partitioning a single hard drive has never really helped. Even when people thought they needed to reinstall Windows every 3 months, they were still better off just doing a "full" install off the setup disc which would wipe out the previous windows installation while leaving user files. Although I guess back when Windows wouldn't boot off a drive bigger than 2 GB (Windows 3.1) or 32 gb (95 through ME on many computers) it was a necessity if you had a large drive at the time.

Windows 7 makes it easier than ever to just clean out the old stuff without worrying about losing your files, since now if you select a clean install and don't format, your old install gets shoved into a convenient WINDOWS.OLD folder where you can pull out any needed files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

298298 posted:

I have a 1.5tb hard drive, and since it's gotten closer to being filled up (roughly 200gb free) Windows has been slowing down tremendously, WMP crashes pretty often now but Windows itself doesn't seem to have any problems besides sometimes feeling slow to open new folders/programs.

Is this just unavoidable due to Windows having to go through so much more info or is it something else? It didn't start having any problems at all until I transferred about 900gb onto it from an external HD in one day.

Defrag it, if you haven't already. And also run chkdsk.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

explorer.exe can't be elevated in Win 7 by design, though you can run something like Explorer++ elevated.

Then what the hell is it doing when I Run As Administrator it? Because I can do that and then it seems to operate like it's elevated so I don't understand you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
1) Why did you split the drive when it's that small.
2) Have you tried going in to Drive Management and seeing whether you need to assign a drive letter to the second partition?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

peteyfoot posted:

I'm making the Mac to PC transition, and am looking for a robust, currently updated keystroke launcher to replace Alfred. Is there a go-to PC equivalent? Primary I'm looking to launch apps and Firefox bookmarks, nothing too fancy.

The search bar in the Windows Start Menu looks like it'll work. You might have to do something to index your firefox bookmarks in it, but otherwise you could launch Firefox and use address bar search in FF to get to your bookmarks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Without specifically selecting it, can you still get 32bit Windows 7 from an OEM? I just took a quick glance on Dell.com and the lowest of the low laptops came with 64bit Win7 standard.

You can but you'd be stupid too. Seeing as how every pc comes with a 64 bit processor and 4 or 6 GB of RAM. Even the latest netbooks are using 64 bit cpus.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BELL END posted:

What's the best partitioning software? Partition Magic? (I haven't repartitioned in like 10 years). Is there a decent freeware alternative?

What exactly do you need to partition? Windows can handle it for you quite easily if you're looking to partition a new drive or one you don't mind erasing, using Disk Management. It can also usually handle shrinking an existing partition (provided it has enough free space) or removing a partition and expanding another on the same drive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

Given that, which one of these is true:

1) Windows 7's installer will utterly wipe out the contents of both drives in the process of upgrading, so I'll need to buy an external HD to store all the Stuff I Want To Save.

2) I can store all of the Stuff I Want To Save on the 2tb drive, because Windows 7 won't need to wipe out everything on the 2tb hd.

I really hope it's 2, because part of the reason why I'm upgrading is memory issues, and Win7+Memory is already reaching levels beyond "trivial price".

You can do an "upgrade" install from XP where it simply shoves all the files from XP in Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings, etc into a folder on C: called WINDOWS.OLD. You do not need the hard drives to be wiped or anything like that.

To do this, during the install, you want to do "Custom" and tell it to not reformat your drive or partition.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

Product keys aren't region- or language-specific, are they?

Outside of the "N" and "K" versions which are usually only sold in Europe, but are really just the corresponding edition minus IE or WMP, no.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In older versions of Windows, you ahd to make sure to "uninstall" the motherboard and cpu drivers before a switch or you'd have weird crashes or even the OS not being able to boot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amrosorma posted:

Second desktop isn't still active. Thank you all for these suggestions, but none of these solutions work :(

This program is really lovely and non-standard.

Borrow a second monitor off someone, or try seeing what happens if you change resolution drastically, like to 800x600.

if that doesn't work, uninstall the software and delete all settings and registry entries for it, then reinstall

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

krnhotwings posted:

Does anybody know how I can turn off the SSD flag in Windows 7? (or whatever SSD settings that Windows 7 makes upon install.) I had installed Windows from an image that I didn't realize was from an SSD, and now my computer will become completely unresponsive practically every day after I leave the computer alone for an extended period of time (ie. overnight.)

Instead of completely redoing my setup, I'd like to know if I can just disable the SSD-related settings that Win7 makes, unless a complete reinstall is my only option...

Enable auto defrag, enable anything with fetch in the name, make sure page file is turned on and not a small size.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

snoozeallday posted:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard-Enterprise-Datacenter-Web 64-bit

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard-Enterprise-Datacenter-Web with SP 1 Debug/Checked Build 64-bit

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC 64-bit

These don't have any 32 bit builds. You can't use a key for one of those on another, as they are different editions.

quote:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Datacenter-Enterprise-Standard 32-bit

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Datacenter-Enterprise-Standard 64-bit

You can probably use a 32 bit key on 64 bit or vice versa. But it's kinda pointless to run Datacenter on a 32 bit system. Additionally, this is the Vista server, the R2 ones are Widnows 7 Server.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

snoozeallday posted:

The reason I ask is because some of those (like the first one i listed) I got 3 separate keys for. Also, its only one download file but it says "Standard-Enterprise-Datacenter". Whats up with that?

I believe the different keys may unlock different features. Server licensing is weird though.

Here's a comparison of Server 2008 R2 levels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2008_R2#Editions

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vegetable posted:

AMD Athlon 7850 Black Edition, 4 GB DDR 2 RAM, GTX 460. Replacing the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Keeping only the PSU, graphics card and casing.

So how would I install Windows 7 (it's an Upgrade edition), assuming Windows XP won't boot at all after replacing the motherboard and CPU. Boot from disc, enter XP first or some other registry hack?

Just boot off the disk and install, if it then complains about not being valid or wahtever, do this http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

That should get you going. :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I can't seem to find a more appropriate thread.

I have a USB headset and am trying to filter my audio so that the only thing that plays through my headset is the voice chat from Ventrilo. I would like for whatever game I'm playing to play through my actual speakers.

I'm not sure if Windows innately has a way to allow this, but fooling around in the volume mixer I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Setting it as the "Default Communications Device" and the regular speakers as "Default Device" should allow what you want.

If that doesn't work, making sure the speakers are set as the default device AND default communications device, and then manually telling Vent to use the headphones, should work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

298298 posted:

Answering my own question here: in the Advanced tab of Nvidia control panel for adjusting video color setting there's an option to change the dynamic range to Full (0-255) and default is Limited (16-235), changing it to Advanced solves my problem.

Why it's not set that by default I don't know, Limited looked really washed out to me.

Some TVs or monitors can't handle "full", if I remember right.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

deong posted:

In explorer, it refreshes the window and rearranges the view.
For example. If you have a folder with 100 images, all named img_001-img_100. As soon as you rename one of these, it will refresh the view, and move your selection to where the new name would be in alpha order. So then you have to scroll through to the next img in order to rename it.

Disable "auto arrange icons" the same way you've been able to since Windows 95 I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Death by Cranes posted:

But when Windows dies and I have to reboot, I lose one!

If you lose a Windows license every time you turn off your computer, perhaps you should get that fixed. It's not normal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

Unless you want to keep them (and why would you if they're ATA) a hammer is the fastest and most fun way to destroy data. Be sure to pull the magnets.

Guns are the most fun way, or industrial shredders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is a thoroughly acceptable free cd burner for all recent versions of windows: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jolan posted:

What's a good freeware program to create an image of a Windows-partition?

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm I use it and like it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sleepstupid posted:

Is it still possible to find Win7 32-bit laptops that are reasonably priced? I just got a call from a sales rep who was trying to find one for a customer and he told me the 32-bit ones were 2x as much as the 64-bit models. I initially didn't believe him but after a quick check on cdw, neweggbusiness, etc. it appears he's correct :confused:

Why are you trying to find them? You can hardly even find 32 bit netbooks these days, because it's 2012 not 2002.

Edit: Are you aware that you can install 32 bit Windows 7 with the same key from 64 bit Windows 7, although you'll probably find driver support lacking?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sleepstupid posted:

We need to use them with a proprietary hardware peripheral that doesn't have 64-bit drivers available.

Then as I said, just buy regular computers and wipe+reinstall Windows 7 from 32 bit media.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bl4d3 posted:

Random Windows 7 question : was anyone else aware that Windows (at least Windows 7) won't recognize a file name case change as an actual file name change?

For instance, if you have a file and change part of the name to upper case or lower case, but the actual contents of the file name doesn't change (so no changes/deletions, only a change in case), it won't change the file name to reflect the change in case?

You actually have to change the file name to something different, and then change the file name to the case and contents you want.

How is that not a bug? How is that useful at all?

In the file system BONERS.DOC and bOnErS.DoC and boners.doc are all the exact same name. NTFS, exFAT, FAT12/16/32 are ALL case insensitive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HClChicken posted:

Is there a working link to the install windows 7 upgrade media onto a new computer? The link in the OP 404's.

If you download the correct "normal" install media for the edition instead (eg you have a Windows 7 Professional upgrade key and disk; you would get a copy of the retail non-upgrade edition Windows 7 Professional disc), you can simply do a normal clean install using the upgrade key using that disk/disk image, and then start an "upgrade" install from within Windows to install it again and have it accept the key.

This page has the links to Microsoft's servers for Windows 7 SP1 full disk ISOs that you can put onto your flash drive or a dvd: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenomorph posted:

Strange question here:

What's the maximum number of network adapters you can have installed in XP/2003?

We have some systems with 4-6 physical NICs, and each connection can have the little blinking computer screens in the tray by the clock in XP/2003. This can end up taking way too much room (and that's why it was consolidated to just 1 icon starting with Vista).

I don't believe there's a limit besides how many network adapters will fit in the case.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fookolt posted:

What is a good dedicated podcast software? Foobar is great for music but the podcast plugin isn't great. And I can't stand iTunes.

It's not really dedicated to podcasts only, but the Zune software works very well for podcasts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Noone should be installing random software "just because". It's kinda weird that people actually ask what they should install as if there's a single group of programs everyone needs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

For a variety of legal and cultural reasons, there are a number of basic utilities that are not included with a bare Win7 install. A PDF reader, Flash, real anti-virus, and most likely an alternate browser are things that most "basic" Windows users need that aren't included out-of-the-box.

Yeah but you download them when you need them. Additionally, most of the time a new computer comes with all of those installed by the OEM.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OneEightHundred posted:

Is there a way to get Vista to keep more stuff out of the pagefile? I'm running a game that's frequently stuttering as it loads/drops content and the stuttering ALWAYS corresponds with a page fault spike in perfmon, except I'm supposedly only at 68% physical used so I don't really get why it's hitting virtual memory so much in the first place.

The likely issue is something else is running that keeps getting paged out and then loaded back in, so if anything will help, it'd be trying to track down exactly what is paging out.

Also: are you running 64 bit Vista? Is the game 32 bit? If the game is 32 bit it may be hitting the limits of what it can address and starting to page from that, either from bad programming or something Windows does, and since it can't see the rest of your ram the fact that you have 32% free won't help.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any way to change window color when using the Windows 7 Basic theme?

Third party shell replacements/hacks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

I am looking for a utility that I use to migrate an entire drive (os drive) to another hard drive.

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Galler posted:

System restore seems to function about as often as the built in search does. Which is to say almost never and certainly never when you actually need it to work.

Go to search preferences and have it index everything, it's not hard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Davincie posted:

I recently build a new computer and on my old one (which I no longer have access to) I had a program that would tell me the quality of an mp3 when I mouse over it, so things like bitrate, low-mid-high-very high quality, song length, artist and so on. The words telling me the quality is the important part. Anyone know a good (free preferred) program that does that?

Not quite the same, but in Windows Explorer, with the view set to details, you can see that info:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I know theres a OP/Megathread about this but I cant find it...

What is the solution to the general "slowness" all windows systems seem to get as they go on? Like my computer was lightening fast when I first got it. I havent really installed many programs and i clean it with 3 different anti-virus every other day. How do I get that "fresh install" speed to last forever?

Any suggestions?

Stop running 3 different anti-viruses, for a start.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WorkingStiff posted:

Hibernation is disabled by design in systems with more than 4GB of RAM, and is also driver & BIOS dependent even with workarounds.

My system has 8 GB of RAM and hibernation was enabled as soon as I installed Windows 7.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sistergodiva posted:

Does anyone know a good program for mounting various images in Windows 7? I've been using both alcohol and daemontools, but they are kinda bloaty and tries to make me install spyware with them etc. Anyone knows a simple and clean alternative?

I prefer PowerISO, it's also good for ripping discs. The virtual drive manager thing for the images is very resource-light.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

If I recall correctly, windows.old includes windows, program files, and users.

Yes. It moves the existing Windows, ProgramData, Program Files/Program Files (x86) and Users folders to WINDOWS.OLD. Everything else on the drive stays in the exact same position, so if you had a folder called "C:\movies" it would stay at c:\movies and not get deleted or moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Porkchop Express posted:

Ok I am looking for a music player for my htpc. I want something that will look nice on my TV screen so I can have it on when I have parties, and something that I can control with my android phone so I can skip/pause etc without having to find the wireless mouse. Any suggestions?

Well the Zune software looks nice as hell in its now playing full screen thing, but I don't know if there's a way to control it with an Android phone, other than using an app that sends standard media key presses to it like a keyboard or remote.