Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

i could see recommending the store version of netflix since as i recall its p much the only (theoretical) way to get a full functioning netflix on PC

netflix on PC is Not Good

its probably worse on linux based on the 2 attempts i made to watch it on my laptop

It works fine on Linux, but is limited to a maximum of 720p.

On PC, you need the Netflix app if you want downloads or UHD. Personally, I don't use it - browser is fine. The Netflix app has a pretty horrendous interface.

Josh Lyman posted:

People seem to be recommending Windows Store versions of applications these days for ease of updating and security. Specifically they say iTunes is cleaner, which makes sense, but they also recommend the Store versions of stuff like Spotify, Netflix, and VLC. :psyduck:

Is this really the best way to manage my applications in 2020? The store version of VLC is noticeably neutered in comparison. I also hate that "apps" now includes full-fledged desktop applications but that war is lost.

Apps should be full-fledged desktop applications, weird UWP apps like VLC are worse than useless. I like being able to download something like Spotify, Paint.net or foobar2000 (though they're always slow at updating the Store version with that one) this way; that way, I don't have to worry about any updaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

If I understand correctly, you're saying I should consider the Microsoft Store version for "full desktop" programs like Spotify, but I should stick with the standalone desktop version for "utility" programs like VLC. Do I have that right?

If so, I'm surprised you use the Store version of foobar. The last time I tried it out was probably a decade ago but I'd consider it in the same category as VLC.

There are two versions of foobar on the MS store, the old Windows Phone mobile application and the full-fledged desktop version: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9PDJ8X9SPF2K

Weedle posted:

if it’s a completely self-contained app like spotify or something i’ll get it from the store, but anything that i need to associate file types with (like vlc or irfanview) i get from fosshub or something because as far as i know windows store apps do not exist on your PC as executables that you can, for example, select as the default program for opening a file type

Store apps can be set as default applications.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know, Apps & features said Candy Crush was like a 283MB installation before I removed it. Flipping that switch was the first solution I found, but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

There's still Candy Crush and Farm Heroes stuff in my registry. It feels gross and I'm less than 24 hours into this reinstall so I'm tempted to reformat and start again if I can actually figure out a solution.

Windows 10 pushes some apps like Candy Crush the first time the Store checks for updates after a reinstall. This has been the case since Windows 10 launched. Usually, removing the start menu shortcuts before connecting to the internet the first time prevents this. In addition, I suggest going through the start menu programs list and uninstalling unwanted pre-installed apps.

Updating to 2004 doesn't push any new advertisement apps.

I suggest not doing any possibly harmful registry edits.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah just for funsies I did a reformat/reinstall and the first thing I did was turn off "Show suggestions occasionally in Start" before I connected to the internet, but Candy Crush, Farm Heroes and Spotify still ended up being installed. Oh well.

I know it doesn't matter but it just feels gross.

Ghostlight posted:

They are bundled into the install image itself. If you want to get rid of them entirely you need to mount your offline image and remove them using Powershell before installing Windows.

You can also simply unpin the right-side start menu entries before the system first connects to the internet to stop them from installing automatically.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Before Windows 10 (which has the ability for displaying a taskbar on all monitors built-in) I used to have it for just that feature. Haven't used it since, but people with ultrawide monitors like it for creating more window snapping zones.