Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Assuming you're not talking about simple applications like PuTTY or CoolTerm, I've tried looking for one myself to no avail :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
What about PDF editors? Are there any free/low cost programs that have pretty much the same features of Acrobat Pro?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Windows 10 is fine.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
turns out brain worms aren't just for boomers

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Saukkis posted:

Why would I have to choose. I've had two mouse, on both sides of the keyboard, for years, just to reduce load on my right wrist. Gaming I still do on my right hand, for anything else left works well enough.

post pics please, i've gotta see this

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Why does Windows specifically require you to restart in order to install updates? Why not just do it at shut down also?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

You can choose "update and shut down".

Nope. I even just tried shutting down but it didn't seem like it updated.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

Haha, what the heck? That sounds like a bug to me.

Is this with something newer than 1909?

Looks like I'm on 1903 :)

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

I would recommend update-and-restart-ing to 1909 at this point; 1903 is only supported until December 8.

I pushed the update and restart button but it didn't update lol. I had to do the update from the Settings card.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Scythe posted:

Thanks! I've mostly been on Mac for a couple decades; on macOS I had used uBlock Origin but switched to Wipr a few years ago, and I thought that was because there was some sort of privacy/data leak scandal about uBlock Origin... maybe I'm misremembering?

Maybe you were thinking of just uBlock? They got acquired by Adblock which allows companies to pay for ads to get through.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The news/weather feed in the taskbar started consuming 12GB of RAM for no reason, thanks Microsoft for shoving this crap in here.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

jokes posted:

I think you can disable that sumbitch.

joke's on me for not getting rid of that earlier along with cortana

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Whenever I turn on my Bluetooth headphones and it connects to my PC, the volume always seems to get changed from its last setting. It doesn't change by much, but it's still annoying. Has anyone run into this?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

qsvui posted:

Whenever I turn on my Bluetooth headphones and it connects to my PC, the volume always seems to get changed from its last setting. It doesn't change by much, but it's still annoying. Has anyone run into this?

oh it seems like the headphones have their own stored volume setting and tweaking the windows volume doesn't affect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's really pathetic how opening the old mail app forced me into the new outlook thing before the announced deadline without me clicking on the wrong thing. It's pathetic that the new outlook has an icon that says "new". That's not sustainable design! The absolute most pathetic thing is that the mail app appears to still provide me with notifications that, when clicked on, open the mail app, then close it, then open outlook. What kind of goddamn doodooheads you've got working for you, microsoft.

:agreed:

now i just use the web app