Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

http://modernwarfare2.net/

Game Informer offers new details on MW2 posted:

A video teaser of MW2, we have all seen. Now the latest issue of one of the top gaming magazines, Game Informer, offers new details on Modern Warfare 2. For gamers and all the Fans of the first Modern Warfare will be happy to know that one of its major characters, Sergeant John “Soap” MacTavish, returns in this new much awaited game as the captain of an international group called Task Force 141. But this time he will be an NPC.

Game Informer also adds in the information that the sequel “continues the narrative begun in Modern Warfare, with the world facing dangerous political instability in Russia.” In the game, a terrorist group plans to use political turmoil of Russia to their advantage in order to secure the troubled empire’s weapon stockpiles.

Another character, Makarov, who is the leader of the terrorist group, also happens to be an associate of Zakhaev, the man responsible for the first games’ nuclear attack.

President and CTO of Infinity Ward, Jason West, said earlier that the gameplay is wide open and has a lot of variety. He added more that any good story is on rails.West even estimates that MW2 campaign will be just as lengthy as its predecessor’s.

This month's Game Informer has a good article about the development of the game and what to expect. They started working on a co-op campaign and then threw it out. They were also looking at customizable character builds for the campaign mode like you have in the multiplayer, but again decided to throw it out. Both for the same reason, they felt it messed with the story telling.
I haven't read anything about a zombie mode but it looks like they are having a Special Forces mission mode that is going to be insanely hard. They will all be one shot missions (much like the Mile-High Club mission in the previous game) that can be done alone or co-op.

Other stuff:
“Soap” MacTavish returns as an NPC
No more infinite respawning baddies in the campaign

In other news there seems to something trippy going on with their website:
http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/ It plays an audio clip that turns into a video, notice the little red button that says "Analyze". As you listen you can tell it is taking place in an airport. Eventually you hear the guy say, "No more Russian" and that's about when it become a video montage. It could just be a normal trailer for the game but then what's with the Analyze button? Did they do that to just annoy the gently caress out of us and send us on a wild goose chase? You can zoom in the wave lengths but I haven't found the purpose of this yet.
It's hard to explain so you'll have to check it out for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peabody624
Dec 12, 2006

Direct video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-yMFkQDQs

Yeah, this definitely has the potential to be just as amazing as COD4.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Maybe this thread will have a better shot at staying about MW2 instead of eventually devolving into Battlefield and MAG talk.

I absolutely can't wait. Even though it was done by a different studio, I hope Infinity Ward carries over the Prestige = 1 extra custom slot feature, or improves on it. I never felt the need to go prestige as it didn't really reward me, and I felt limited by 5 slots because I use wildly different perks in Hardcore than I do in normal ground war.

There's supposed to be a trailer of some kind during an NBA game in the next week or so, but I'll just wait till the trailer hits online, then play it on an endless loop until E3.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hopefully they fix all the stuff in Multiplayer to stop it from just being a rough diamond.

Having some sort of limit in fire rate might be nice to stop those people with modded controllers who can fire a full pistol clip in seconds.

edit: More space for loadout templates aswell. It sucked that you only had a limited amount especially as I'm always making new ones and modifying old ones sucks because that means I have to modify them again if I decide the new one isn't that great. Basically accommodate for OCD please

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2009

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
gently caress Soap. I'd better see Captain Price and his glorious mustache! :argh:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nohman posted:

gently caress Soap. I'd better see Captain Price and his glorious mustache! :argh:

:ssh:He's dead.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Pyr0 posted:

:ssh:He's dead.

They didn't explicitly show him die on camera. If every cheesy plot since the dawn of time has taught me anything, he could pop out of a cupboard and stab a guy in the jugular at any point in a sequel.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If that happens I'll be disappointed. He died an incredibly manly death saving the world. Bringing him back would cheapen that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

How would using custom gear gently caress with the story? If you're in some super duper badass tacticlol operator crew, you usually get to pick your own goodies :\

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I'm so excited for this game. I really wanted to continue playing as Soap though, hopefully they don't kill him off. :( I'm excited by this "open" aspect they are talking about. I have faith in Infinity Ward to pull anything off though. The best news is the no more infinite respawning enemies, that made beating veteran much more harder than it needed to be.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

If that happens I'll be disappointed. He died an incredibly manly death saving the world. Bringing him back would cheapen that.

Calling it now: Price had his last close call with death, and it was enough to take him off the field. He's now the ops commander for your special forces team. Think Rainbow Six and Clark's role there. It'd make sense. Price would never retire immediately, he loved the work he did otherwise he wouldn't do it. Now he can't do it anymore, but he's got a new competent captain in Soap to take his place. Soap could be like the British Ding Chavez and take up after Price's teachings.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't know, establishing deep connections with characters seems really antithetical to the game at this point. Modern Warfare's story was very well done because you either had very little attachment to the characters (as with Sgt. Jackson, he might aswell be a nameless grunt) or just enough to make their deaths seem tragic.

So you had the ability to show how horrific war from a rather neutral standpoint of soldiers dying horrible deaths and from the personal level of having someone you've come to know being killed very abruptly.

If they want to make the story as good as the first then trying to make character relationships just for the sake of it seems like bad form.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
It seems like they are purposefully being vague about multiplayer, but check out this statement in Game Informer:

game developer West posted:

One of my favorite things about multiplayer is making people famous. We briefly broached it in the last game, but we didn't get it anywhere near where we wanted it, so we're putting a lot of effort into that. When people do things that are noteworthy, you hear about it in a way that's easy to remember.
I'm not sure what he means by this. What was the previous game that made people famous? How did it make people famous?

They also have put someone, Robert Bowling, in charge of checking forums and twitter in order to gather as much feedback from as many gamers as possible. They had a concern that they were only hearing from the hardcore gamers, but they want to reach out to everyone.

Also there's mention of auto turrets and heat sensors in the campaign, no word on if they will find their way into the multiplayer.

Kali11324 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2009

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
All I care about is the multiplayer part. The single player CoD4 was pretty boring.

More maps, weapons, modes, "quests", and a player customization feature ala Rainbow 6 Vegas would be good too.

On PC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Having some sort of limit in fire rate might be nice to stop those people with modded controllers who can fire a full pistol clip in seconds.

That's already fixed in World at War, isn't it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
World at War isn't Modern Warfare, though, so I really couldn't care less if it was fixed in that.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ddraig posted:

Captain Price (Or some incarnation of him, always with the huge mustache and named Captain Price), has appeared in every Infinity-Ward developed Call of Duty game. Yes, he is in both World War II, and Modern Warfare. It's a running joke, so I'm sure he'll be back in some form.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
You'll likely see him and Kamarov as wacky roommates while storming an apartment building.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Aphrodite posted:

That's already fixed in World at War, isn't it?

Yeah, but not with a hard-coded fire rate. If it detects someone breaking a preset "limit", it drops their fire rate for the rest of the round. This is why there was a big resurgance to COD4 because all the kiddies who paid 100 dollars for a controller suddenly couldn't use it. Then they starting making ones to get around the WAW system, I'm not sure how well those worked. Either way, just hardcode a limit on every gun. Just make it realistic, about as fast as someone could hammer the trigger with their hands still in a regular position.

My wishlist for MW2 multi would pretty much be this:
-MAP VARIETY (Less sandy destroyed towns/gray russian warehouses)
-More custom slots. Either let us replace the default slots, or add 5 more.
-gently caress over every modded controller scrub.
-Have martyrdom follow last stand rules. If you geat headshotted, or knifed, you don't drop a grenade. I've never understood why last stand follows these principles yet martyrdom doesn't.

Really, that's about it. Also mabye turn 3 frags into 2 frags. Otherwise COD4 was pretty much perfect as is.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ApathyGifted posted:

Captain Price (Or some incarnation of him, always with the huge mustache and named Captain Price), has appeared in every Infinity-Ward developed Call of Duty game. Yes, he is in both World War II, and Modern Warfare. It's a running joke, so I'm sure he'll be back in some form.

Hell, Price was killed on screen in CoD1.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Skwerl posted:

Didn't he get rescued by the player during the American Campaign? That is, if my interpretation of chronology is correct.

angryblackguy
Mar 4, 2009

by The Finn

Skwerl posted:

Exactly. His cousin/son/father/uncle/nephew/someone who shares the same name will appear carrying the same awesome facial hair. If he doesn't... well, it's not Call of Duty.

quote:

Didn't he get rescued by the player during the American Campaign? That is, if my interpretation of chronology is correct.

The first game jumped around in time a lot. The last British mission (before starting the Russian missions) where you infiltrate a German boat has him die in a firefight right at the beginning. It took place in 1945 I believe. You rescue him in the American campaign during 1943.

The end credits of Call of Duty 2 show (another) rescue attempt for Captain Price. The dude loves getting captured.

angryblackguy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 16, 2009

Amnesty Intl.
Dec 9, 2004
CHAIRMAN RAPEAPE'S WORD IS LAW

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, but not with a hard-coded fire rate. If it detects someone breaking a preset "limit", it drops their fire rate for the rest of the round. This is why there was a big resurgance to COD4 because all the kiddies who paid 100 dollars for a controller suddenly couldn't use it. Then they starting making ones to get around the WAW system, I'm not sure how well those worked. Either way, just hardcode a limit on every gun. Just make it realistic, about as fast as someone could hammer the trigger with their hands still in a regular position.

My wishlist for MW2 multi would pretty much be this:
-MAP VARIETY (Less sandy destroyed towns/gray russian warehouses)
-More custom slots. Either let us replace the default slots, or add 5 more.
-gently caress over every modded controller scrub.
-Have martyrdom follow last stand rules. If you geat headshotted, or knifed, you don't drop a grenade. I've never understood why last stand follows these principles yet martyrdom doesn't.

#1, Wow, sucks to play this on a console then, I didn't understand why the modded controllers were a problem before this post, glad I'm on PC.

#2, The maps in the original were perfect, the only ones that I didn't like were Vacant and Shipment, I just hope that there's a new ice camo, and that they change the digital camo so that it's actually better than the ice one.

#3, Personally, I already think 5 slots is MORE than enough, I'd really like to maybe see a few perks connect with other perks, for gimmick features like "Spying" (Take up 2 slots to see through walls with nightvision, but make other perks more powerful, however limit them someways e.g. Deep Impact works at short distances only, as a host option.).

#5, 360 players are assholes: fact. Not a problem on PC.

I'd also suggest please, please make controlling the chopper turret an option at least in hardcore mode, I'm tired of deep impact spam plus last minute chopper rushes.

TheSniperZERO
Jan 18, 2004

quote:

No more infinite respawning baddies in the campaign
Thank you, Lord!

I respect a high difficulty level, but infinite spawning bad guys is just loving annoying... and ridiculous. 'One Shot, One Kill', 'Heat', and 'No Fighting in The War Room' are loving soul shattering.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Amnesty Intl. posted:

#1, Wow, sucks to play this on a console then, I didn't understand why the modded controllers were a problem before this post, glad I'm on PC.

Their benefit is negligible and actually meeting one is rare. People love to accuse others though.

Amnesty Intl.
Dec 9, 2004

TheSniperZERO posted:

I respect a high difficulty level, but infinite spawning bad guys is just loving annoying... and ridiculous. 'One Shot, One Kill', 'Heat', and 'No Fighting in The War Room' are loving soul shattering.

I disagree as a PC player, I thought this made the game feel more realistic and intense, because for once I was fighting a REAL army, and not one or two dudes like in Half-Life 2.

However, what this means is that, as I thought, they're going in a slightly different direction with the gameplay and level design vs. the first game, because they can focus more processing power on more varied gameplay.

EDIT: Oh, and let's just say that I'm a much better online game player since finishing Veteran mode, because for every situation that you died on Veteran, on PC, it meant that you weren't using your grenades properly and generally watching your back.

Amnesty Intl. fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 16, 2009

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you're getting killed by someone who is autofiring a G3 or M14 you're worse at this game than you think.

Amnesty Intl.
Dec 9, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

If you're getting killed by someone who is autofiring a G3 or M14 you're worse at this game than you think.

So wait, I'm not supposed to use Extreme Conditioning for anything, and I'm supposed to ditch my mp5 for a rifle? Pfft, please.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ah good the "Heh consoles, heh. :smug:" posts are here and it's not even the second page.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nah, I meant in the sense of hacked controllers. People do that poo poo all the time and not a single one of them is good. Nevermind the fact that they have lovely recoil to begin with, firing them full auto with a hacked controller sends their aim all over the place.

What I am saying is if you are complaining about hacked controllers you are not as good as you think you are. Beating hackers in CoD4 is really, really easy.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Amnesty Intl. posted:

I disagree as a PC player, I thought this made the game feel more realistic and intense, because for once I was fighting a REAL army, and not one or two dudes like in Half-Life 2.

Yeah man I know what you mean. In real life when you kill a soldier in a house another one will appear magically in the next room, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and THEN when you finally exit that house they stop appearing just like in real life.

Amnesty Intl.
Dec 9, 2004
Fact, Call of Duty 4 is the first game where I've had a gay man crush for a character (Captain Price).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

As soon as price ordered me to bust through the first door on the cargo ship I knew I was in for a good time hanging with him.

TheSniperZERO
Jan 18, 2004

MagicCube posted:

Yeah man I know what you mean. In real life when you kill a soldier in a house another one will appear magically in the next room, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and THEN when you finally exit that house they stop appearing just like in real life.
I think you summed it up nicely and therefore, convinced me that I was wrong in my initial opinion. Magic enemies are much more fun and realistic and do not in any way take away from the game. :D

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Zigmidge posted:

What I am saying is if you are complaining about hacked controllers you are not as good as you think you are. Beating hackers in CoD4 is really, really easy.

Seriously. Just because someone can fire a gun fast doesn't make them impossible to shoot or make them know where and when to fire.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

For all of you complaining about modded controllers, it's not tough to fire off a full pistol clip with a regular controller. I did my second rank of prestige solely with the pistol and it was a joke how easy it was to kill people.

Can't wait for this game though. WaW was pretty fun for the co-op campaign aspect but the guns in multiplayer all seem the same, and are relatively boring :(

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Zigmidge posted:

It's more the "find a sniper and suddenly he dumps an entire pistol mag in you in half a second". It happens once in a blue moon, but I'd rather it happen never.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Amnesty Intl. posted:

It's not really a problem, only really with last stand, and you can get off some ridiculous rapid fire anyway with the default controller.

quote:

#2, The maps in the original were perfect, the only ones that I didn't like were Vacant and Shipment

Both are awesome. :colbert: HCHQ Shipment is hilarious. I hate people skipping on Broadcast.

quote:

#3, Personally, I already think 5 slots is MORE than enough, I'd really like to maybe see a few perks connect with other perks, for gimmick features like "Spying" (Take up 2 slots to see through walls with nightvision, but make other perks more powerful, however limit them someways e.g. Deep Impact works at short distances only, as a host option.).

What? That was one of the few things WAW did right, more than five custom slots, and a reason to prestige. And one of the best reasons to play on the 360 is not dealing with assholes limiting maplists or loving with host options.

quote:

#5, 360 players are assholes: fact. Not a problem on PC.

A healthy normal and hardcore community, not a problem on the 360. :smug:

Honestly though, I'd buy re-labeled MW1 with a few new maps, as long as it had the WAW 10 custom slots and a reason to prestige.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Anyone think that video with the snowmobile is leading to actually riding one in game? A lot of the game apparently takes place in Russia so it would be plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I played through the entire COD4 single player in one sitting. I started around 11pm and by the time the marine died in the nuclear blast, I was saddened. Finally, completing the game and being almost delirious with sleep deprivation the ending reduced me to tears.