Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I just wish that IW will have a moment of introspection and realise that 3x Frag makes Cod4 the spammiest FPS in existence.

Why yes, I LOVE being killed randomly because half of the enemy team flings all of their three grenades as soon as they spawn.

At least with the grenade launcher you have to aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I'm so glad the only thing console gamers have to worry about in terms of hacking are modded controllers where people can fire a little bit quicker.

Barely a day goes by on PC servers where wallhackers and aimbotters don't wreck poo poo for everybody. Punkbuster is a loving joke.

Paradoxish posted:

it's not hard to play on a server that doesn't do any of these things, you know. there are hundreds of populated cod4 servers, playing just about any combination of player limit/game type/map/rules you could want.

Well not really, you can fall over a million Hardcore servers and not ever find a single Old School game. Non-HC servers are hard enough to find, never mind anything else.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Was that in the AO version of Modern Warfare?

Seriously though, the limited amout of custom slots is important for balancing reasons. I wouldn't mind a fourth slot but that wouldn't mean you could use two perk 2's or'3s. It would be a whole new set of perks.

Pretty sure no one is referring to the Perk slots, rather the number of custom loadout profiles available for online play. I'd be interested in what perks they add for MW2 though.

Vietnamwees posted:

I always understood that having 5 custom classes(and the 5 starter ones-I'm pretty sure nobody PREFERS to use them, but they're still there) is just so you have "your own" class for each of the the 5 weapon classes, and was not intended so you can have a bunch of super-niche classes for exactly one kind of situation. If the Developers wanted that, then they would just let us actually change attributes to the classes in the middle of a game. Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky that we can even change our loadouts midgame at all.

Having 5 custom classes is nothing more than a completely arbitrary number of custom slots that IW went with.

There is nothing particularly balancing about not having access to a class setup that could give you an advantage in a particular map/situation, just the luck of the draw if you have it set up already in one of your existing custom slots. If there were 20 or 50 custom slots and everybody had their preferred custom setups available just a respawn away then the game wouldn't be any different in the slightest. Upon new maps, I disconnect, set up weapon configs and /reconnect all the time, you still need to be good* to make use of the right class in the right situation. Plus it's not like only one player gets the benefit of 50 custom slots, everyone does, therefore, it's still balanced.

* at chucking 3x frag as soon as you spawn.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 21, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

new gameplay

Here's to hoping.

EDIT for content:
There's been chatter of larger maps in WAW, I know that WAW was Treyarch and they have no impact on IW, but how much bigger are we talking? The CoD4 engine uses hitscan bullet detection, trivialising long range combat with guns like the M16, but this was never an issue with the smaller maps and the few long sight lines in CoD4. Basically, how big were the WAW maps and how did it affect gameplay?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 21, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Apotheosis posted:

Maybe we'll finally find out why they call him "Soap".

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels reference. One of the characters is called Soap.

Same as with the constant movie quotes. "Check those corners", "I like to keep this for close encounters" (both Aliens), the chapter titles Heat (movie) and Charlie Don't Surf (Full Metal Jacket).

There's loads of them.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 22, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

fennesz posted:

And then a good 8-16 months later your rig is loving outdated and you have to add more memory and pickup a new graphics card.
No, I think you'll find that you don't.

edit: Brah.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

fennesz posted:

Johnny Sasaki spotted.

Click here for the full 600x1100 image.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Another look at what I reckon is Soap, going for the hidden-faced everyman is probably a safe way to handle that. :

Click here for the full 847x503 image.

And can anyone ID these two guns? The first I'm kind of torn between a HK416 and a LR300, while in the second pic, the only thing I can imagine it to be is an M14 EBR.

Thoughts, oh TFR-lurking goons?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 25, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

Are grenade launchers coming back in MW2? I know there was (still is...) a lot of bitching about them.
Those very same people are probably bitching about the grenade launcher while blindly spamming their 3x frag grenades two seconds after they spawn so as far as I'm concerned, the GL is fair play and the whiners are full of poo poo.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When did use of explosive weapons become something to bitch about in FPS games? I remember playing Quake you'd get praised for your "nade-fu" if you were any good with them, but somewhere between then and now people seem to have become all indignant about it.

Well that's just it, in Quake you had to be good with grenades to kill with them.

You don't have to be good to kill with fragspam in Cod4. At least with the GL, you have to aim.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

How does holding a Pistol AND A Knife suddenly add more fun to the game?

CQC.

I hear it's real big boss.

SpookyLizard posted:

Also, on that whole "smudge" thing, has there been anyword on being able to clean the scope off, or does it just clean itself automatically?

It's probably just aminor graphical nuance just like the red dot disappearing while you aren't looking down the red dot (the way red dots work). Not even big enough to label a game-affecting thing, just an example of how they're paying closer attention to weapon modelling than ever before.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Downpour is the best FFA map ever with 3-6 people, all in Ghillie suits.

Honestly CoD4 is a whole different game with small playercounts.

I recently uninstalled CoD4 through sheer frustration at dying to random nadespam and yet never really bothered to try smaller servers.

I mean, 20 player servers were the minimum for me, the regular being 48.

I'm going to give this game another go. It's held my interest since launch so far, what's another couple of months?

EDIT: This ends badly and it'll be an "Oi, Suzy!" for you Tuxedo Catfish. :ninja:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Fun, if you mind the grenades.

Actually, some of the larger maps like Overgrown become amazing, where nadespam genuinely isn't a problem.

Unlike Crash and Vacant, although the latter becomes hilariously LMG-through-walls driven. We don't speak of Killhouse

EDIT: What the gently caress is Ground War? This one of those console thingimibobs?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 29, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Boris the Blade posted:

From what I've heard, this is all placeholder stuff for now.

I can't be sure about the music, but I know for sure that the VA is placeholder.

The did the same with the MW1 teaser of the Bog mission. The sergeant who shouts orders around at the beginning of the trailer is totally different to the growly Lt. Vasquez in the full game.

Also back on the subject of guns, I cannot for the life of me tell what rifle is being used in the teaser video. I mean, obviously the heartbeat sensor isn't exactly standard issue kit, but I simply must know what gun that is. :v:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Magpul Masada or Bushmaster ACR.

Now those are some impressively niche guns to feature in a videogame. I really hope all of these make their way into multiplayer.

I reckon it's the ACR, mainly because the charging handle seems to be further forward on the right, which is what we see in the trailer too.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Prompt near the bit where you jump down the hill:

"Hold X to swap for SPAS-12"

Get that loving crap gun out of video games forever <:mad:>

On a related note, I would like to a pistol other than the Desert Eagle being used in multiplayer FPS gaming for a change. That's just been the go-to pistol since CS.

50-30 loving damage per shot gently caress off.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Okay folks, I'm the one guy who thought CoD4 was not great/brilliant/miraculous. I thought it was merely okay, better than the first 3 CoD games (which IMO are absolutely terrible, Brothers in Arms is better if you want good WW2 action) but still had some annoying flaws which held it back from greatness. Inconsistent hitboxes (especially when going for headshots from the side or behind), respawning enemies, superhuman enemies (if I shoot a guy 3 times in the chest he's going to stay down; in CoD4, he gets back up and shoots at me like nothing happened), inability to select weapons loadout for a mission, limited array of weapons, and everyone sounds like they're speaking to you through a radio headset whether they're wearing one or not.

I have no comment on the multiplayer, because I've never played CoD4 online, mainly because I'm really jaded about online gaming. (No one works together and 10 year olds micspam poo poo like "I nailed your mom last night lol." No thanks.)

Someone tell me why I'm crazy and why CoD4-2/MW2 will be awesome and why I should buy it.

You shouldn't buy it. It's not going to be radically different from CoD4.

And you missed out on the multiplayer, which is what people spend a good 99% of their time playing.

Also I loving love the old "but, but, my REALISM" arguments (Knife should be less damaging than a gun, Man should be dead after one torso shot, grenades should have a bigger explosive radius blah realism blach loving blah) despite the fact that the game isn't even attempting to be realistic. It's balanced so it's FUN, dumbass, not for realism!

Leave the realism to ArmA, RO and OFP2. I want Quake with a Sopmod M4.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 6, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

I'm a huge realism fag but I play COD4 because it manages to be fun and balanced, but without feeling like I'm playing Quake with real guns and army guys. It strikes a nice balance.

Me too, I'm a huge RO fag, but there's a time and a place for coordinated combined arms assaults and then there is a time and a place for ninja-ing around a map at mach ten knifing people in the tits. The latter is better for unwinding after work.

I wish there were at least one or two Old School servers out there, rather than the eleventy-billion HC.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

fennesz posted:

Actually, if they do introduce the HB sensor I'd be fine with it as long as they also introduce an "Undead" perk that stops your heart from beating. :colbert:

Or a False Heartbeat Puck you can plant to trick the sensor...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I just tested this, multiple-shots-to-centre-mass-and-they-survive thing you're on about, through the entirety of Blackout in Arcade mode on Veteran difficulty, just so I can take my time picking shots, get feedback regarding where I hit them (5 points for a limb hit, 10 points for a centre-mass hit, 60 for a torso killshot and 100 for a headshot kill.) and eliminate the possibility of difficulty affecting anything

Two shots centre mass at close or medium range is all it takes with the M4 and headshots are instant kill. Like in multiplayer though, damage drops off over range, meaning at long range you have to hit three times. One torso shot at medium or close range can knock the AI enemy to the ground where he last-stands with his pistol.

I suggest learning to aim.

VVV Ah, but they never got back up though. :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 8, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Took care of that circa 1992. Any other unhelpful suggestions?

You could, you know, read the rest of my post which refutes your initial complaint.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

It's a sequel, they are allowed to develop on the ideas/engine of a previous game, regardless of who developed it.

Now, there's a lot of stuff in CoD5 that sounds like total faggotry, but if there was stuff in there that really added to the single or multiplayer experience in the eyes of IW, then they drat well SHOULD take those ideas and use them for the sake of making a better game. Treyarch and IW are not competing studios.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

DimitriPopov posted:

Really, red dot sights and acogs in WWII is ok?

An ACOG is just a 4x scope. Nothing special or new about that.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I just wished they did ACOGs properly, as a sniper-style optic which fills your screen when your look down the scope, rather than simply decreasing your field of view to 65.

I also wish you could take the scopes OFF sniper rifles, but then you'd probably have to rebalance the M21 to be less of a death-cannon, more damaging than the m14 it's based on, with less recoil. Also a barret with irons would be hilarious and nobody would bother with other guns any more. :shobon:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Psion posted:

That's not what an ACOG is, but thanks.

I mean in COD4 sure but the argument was about what they are in real life (not that this has very much relevance to COD, but hey) you see.
No, the argument was "ACOGs in my WW2???"

To which the answer is obviously that the telescopic scopes you unlock as rifle attachments in CoD5 are not ACOGs and calling them such would be wrong, but lower-powered telescopic sights sure as poo poo existed in WW2, so of course they are feasible attachments.

Promoted Pawn posted:

and on the G36c which can steady the scope

Wait what? Really? Might actually give me a reason to ever use the G36...

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 15, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Jesus Toast posted:

Yeah, it takes a bit to waver when you first bring it up, then it wavers less crouching, and even less when prone.

Just to confirm, this is when using an ACOG also, right?

I'd try it right now but my (PC) copy of the game has gone walkabout.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

M4/M16 RDS, Bandolier, SP, Steady Aim - Assault at range.
Mp5 RDS, Bandolier, SP, Steady Aim - Assault while running about.
M4 Silencer, Bandolier, UAV, Steady Aim - Sneaky sneaky
P90 Silencer, Bandolier, UAV, Dead Silence - I am the invisble man.
W1200, 3x Flash, UAV, Extreme Conditioning. - SURPRISE!

Yeah with the first four builds being as utalitarian as they are, (top two for bigger servers, bottom two for smaller servers) that last build is pretty much in there for fun. :shobon:

Or I'll switch it out for:

AK47 + GP25 and M16 + M203, Sonic Boom and Martyrdom

when I'm feeling like a complete dick. I want more custom slots so I can have my m40+Acog+SP one-shot-kill build in there as well.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 17, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I just rediscovered the joy of Sleight of Hand.

Yes, you give up UAV, SP, Juggernaut and Double Tap, but games become silly quick when you can lay down an almost constant stream of M4 or MP5 fire and get the upper hand on just about any panicked close range encounter. Most importantly though, it makes killing a dude and then you being killed by his mate much less of a common occurence. Reload downtime after combat puts you at such a disadvantage and results in so many deaths it's untrue.

It's also funny as gently caress to use with a desert eagle.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

What am I thinking? They'll end up being just as crappy as MW1. :(

Well if the maps actually open up to any degree then maybe they'll extend the range of the shotguns to compensate....a bit.

The sad thing is, as much as I loving despise it, the HL2 mod Insurgency gave shotguns some pretty mad range and I at least like that about it. Just a shame the rest of the game is an unfun piece of poo poo ruled by the whims of it's fanbase.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

I would be much more willing to use shotgun classes if you weren't automatically hosed the instant you were seen by someone out of your range (which happens even on small, close quarters maps).

Smoke nades, pistols, 3x flash/stun, UAV Jammer, Extreme Conditioning and above all patience are your best friends.

Instead of heading off to join some M16-whore's party and play by his rules (and his range), hang back in areas you can take them, they will come...hell, if you're clever, mix it up with some C4 or Claymores, then when you get your chance, get behind enemy lines and REALLY wreck poo poo up.

Shotguns are straight-up THE balla way to roll in CoD4. Takes some smarts to get that up-close and personal, not like these faggy Vasily Zaitsev faggots who sit in their hidey-holes day in day out.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 20, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Stealth Shotgun build represent.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

And yes, Creek is loving shite.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

No, you can only edit builds between rounds, or by disconnecting, editing and reconnecting. That screenshot is after the end of a game.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 22, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress yes FN FAL!

The right arm of the Free World shall be MINE.

(And hopefully it won't suck rear end like it did in Farcry 2.)

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Amnesty Intl. posted:

The FN FAL? The Too drat Incompetent Vector? What is this human being poo poo, where is my helicopter mounted minigun?

He had to get off the minigun because they were all falling back :(

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Oddly enough, in the last few days I've found myself actively trying for the golden weapons. Forcing myself to hold off for those headshots is really helping my play actually.

I managed to get the Golden M60 last night, to conclude that out of the three LMGs, the M249 is the same piece of weedy poo poo it has been in every game since Battlefield 2, while the RPD and M60 rock in just about every way. Long Range? Oh look, no damage dropoff below 40 damage. Short Range? High power per shot and good rate of fire are massive force multipliers, large mags mean multiple enemies at close range are much less of an issue...

Up till this point I only ever dabbled with the m249 when somone suggested I use it like a maxi-p90 with Grip and Steady Aim (small hip-fire spread). Now the m60 is a clear favourite just for how balls-out mad it is.

Next up I'm going to try for the ARs, problem being that while the M4, M16, AK47, G3 all have Expert 3, the M14, G36 and...oh god the StG44...are what I have left to do.

gently caress the StG44:sigh:

fennesz posted:

Actually, in effort to save my derail; does anyone know if they posted minimum/recommended PC specs for MW2 yet? I suspect my PC is far, far too lovely, but you never know.

CoD4 scales really well, so I imagine that since they aren't pushing MW2 beyond current gen consoles, that you'll manage just as well as with cod4.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 24, 2009

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

The acog in cod4 seems to hinder me rather than help. At ranges where the ACOG is good, it feels really hard to get a second shot to hit after the first when you fire in a burst, this is with the g36c as well. I tried out the g36 and the mp44 after posting that and found I had more luck going with the G36C and red dot.

Something about how the G36c fires consistently straight in full-auto and moreso while burst-firing. The M4 fires faster but under full-auto it drifts off target way more. Tapping out three-round bursts with the G36c seems easier and as a result, it's easier to place large amounts of accurate fire.

The MP44 though I just hip-fire with a UAV jammer build. :shobon:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Been playing through PC CoD4 multiplayer getting the gold weapons here and there and it's sort of made me realise that unless the weapon list in MW2 is slimmed to the balanced essentials, guns that each excel in their own little way, then your going to get a few redundant guns.

Like the G36C. Oh how I've come to despise this thing. It's making the Gold AK47 challenge a loving nightmare.

Weak like the M4, slow-firing like the AK. Doesn't have the accuracy and lack of recoil of the former or the balls-out damage of the latter. Worst of both worlds with the worst iron sights since the take-up-half-yo-screen M60.

Heaven help you if you try and make a Stealth build with this gun, poo poo irons make using a silencer painful, low ROF and damage mean SMG/LMG guys paste you up close and AK/M16 users rape you from further out because they win with both accuracy and weapon damage.

So you have to roll with SP or DT if you want to get anywhere.

This may have just been an excuse to rant about the G36c. And oh how you used to be broken in Battlefield 2.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

This magic accuracy that the G36c supposedly has, simply is not there, in my experience.

The lack of sight sway is not a benefit at all, since taking your time and aiming at the targets head is easy enough with any gun, even if they sway like the m4.

The problem is that the G36C kicks unpredictably under recoil while iron-sighted, not so much that it kicks heavily (and predicatably) like the m14, but that it kicks around randomly like an Mp5 and to a greater degree after the first shot, making follow-up shots and burst fire at range pointlessly difficult. Would you engage m16 users with an mp5? Thought not. Oh wait, it does the same damage as one too.

Make no mistake, this is a poo poo gun.

Ah well, only 28 headshots to go, then I can roll with my trusty AK47 again. :sigh:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

most high level console players put the MP5 behind only the M16 as the best overall gun.

If you ask me from playing the PC version it kinda goes like this:

AK47/MP5/AK74u/RPD - Interchangable, AK47 and RPD give more range but the SMGs are for the more Quake-happy runabouts who like high damage
M16 - A beast at long range but has drawbacks up close.
M4 - Good all round.
Everything Else.

SpookyLizard posted:

I would. Not at range but at close range I would.
I kinda meant at preferred m16 range, I should have specified as such. You wouldn't snipe with one was what I was saying.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

This is fake, since so much of it sounds like it's written by someone who simply played the game (and had their own issues and worries, like the points regarding the m16 or the possibility of silenced sniper rifles), rather than someone who is trying to promote it, who'd be a little bit more busy getting across the positives of the game.

Also lol m16 changes :downswords: