Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

What did I fail to do to my ride yesterday?

The driver's side decklid taillight assembly was loose.

There's a little plastic protrusion that fits into a slot in the trunk to hold the assembly in place. Some idiot tapped my bumper in a parking lot just hard enough to break it off. Apparently, this is a common enough issue with F30s that BMW designed an updated part, number 63217372793. Two months ago, I ordered a replacement part from an online junkyard called Pacific Motors. I finally got around to swapping it in this weekend.

Along the way, I lost a weird fastener for the trunk liner that I have no idea how to replace.

And then I put the two parts side by side (top: original, bottom: yard, and you can see the little lip that snapped off on the left side of each part), and realized two things.

1) The part I bought online is corroded as hell, and the one that's been loose and open to the rain for months in my car is not.

2) There's a bolt that the white doohickey on the right mounts onto. In the part in my car, that bolt is in tight enough that I think it might be glued in place somehow. In the replacement part, it's been stripped out.

I put it all back together so I can drive the car around while I figure out what to do about this. Ideally, I'd want to go to a pick-a-part yard and just strip this thing out, but there aren't very many in the Bay Area and none of the ones I called had any F30s. I'm afraid to start trying to tear mine apart to pull out the uncorroded metal.

Could I maybe somehow use JB Weld or something to mold a replacement for the little plastic nubbin that snapped off the old part? Also, where am I going to find another one of those weird fasteners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

rdb posted:

I have seen those in a trim fastener kit. Try “bmw trim fastener” on amazon.

Thanks, that got me started in the right direction. There are a bunch of similar fasteners for sale. Hopefully I can find one that'll work.

^^^ Oh man, even better.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

You probably bought flood car parts.

I bet that's exactly what it was. Fuckers.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Dynoed it.

It has 72,000 miles on a direct-injection turbo engine, so I figured it’d be down on power, but it basically hit the factory numbers. Now I don’t feel like I need to drop money on a walnut blast and catch can. Sweet!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Who the hell sees a Saturn Ion roll into the shop and thinks “yeah, I’m gonna soak moneybags here”?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Ha! The DEF thing might be the funniest part.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

Got a wheel fixed that I curbed badly. 3 hours and $125 later it looks brand new.

What did you do to fix it, or is this a service shops offer? I've got some curbing I'd like to get cleaned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Mother-in-law's 95 Nissan Hardbody

That is way better than most MIL cars