Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A theatre thread would be totally sexy. Oh wait, let's turn THIS into the theatre thread.

I don't know about you clowns, but my favorite show I've done was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I played Hero, who is a blithering idiot and have never played a more fun part in anything I've ever done.

I'm sewage flavored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Could somebody do me a favor and recommend a monologue for an audition? I'm not certain about this one, as I've done nothing but musicals.

It's for Danny and the Deep Blue Sea and I hear the director wants to see "our dark side" in the monologue. I read about the play and have a good idea of what it's about, I just haven't read, watched, or performed in anything exceptionally dark. Odd, that.

Thanks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Named Ashamed posted:

Jerry from Edward Albee's The Zoo Story is popular staple, but done to death.

Down the Road by Lee Blessing has several serial killer monologues.

Eric Bogosian is usually dark. His piece "Molecules" from one of his One Man shows, either "Pounding nails in the floor with my forehead" or "Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll," is more gross than dark, but still dark.

Christopher Durang always does Black Comedy. Try "Man" from Laughing Wild. More angry at the world than evil though.

David Harrower's Blackbird is about a pedophile. Actually not that dark in an "evil" sense, but you might find something there.

LeRoi Jones' Dutchman has a monologue about how all we really need to do is kill somebody instead of letting out our aggression in art. The character is a 70's black man, so that might not work if you're not black.

Neil LaBute's "bash: the latter day plays" is all monologues. In one a young Mormon recounts his murder of a gay man. In another a Mormon father talks about secretly smothering his baby child when he thought he had lost his job and home.

Byron Lavery's Frozen is about a serial killer, but also has perspectives from the victim's family too.

David Mamet. Glengarry Glen Ross and Sexual Perversity in Chicago have some male monologues where the male speakers justify a perverse worldview. Those might be a stretch though. They're not really evil.

William Mastrosimone's Extremities has a rapist break into the home of 3 women. He does one monologue gloating about how he's going to rape them all. Probably more there too.

Martin McDonagh's The Pillowman has twisted poo poo the whole way through. Goldmine, but may be a little overdone at this point, especially for "dark" auditions.

Charles Mee's Bobrauschenbergamerica has a Mass Murderer Monologue from "Bob The Pizza Boy". He killed his family in a fit of rage, and tries logic to the audience why he should be forgiven.

Sam Shepard is often dark. Buried Child and The Curse of the Starving Class have men who are in complete despair about inheriting the failure of their fathers and America. Surreal too.

Michael Weller's Moonchildren has the Landlord of the characters' apartment burst in to tell them a twisted dream about ruling a village of African natives and impregnating the females with semen filled leaves.

My goodness that's a sizable list. Thank you kindly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One thing I've been kind of wondering about that perhaps some of you could shed some light on is based on my situation here.

I'm an acting minor. Honestly, I don't have any interest in making acting a full-time job. I think theater is neat and like to go do whatever at the community theater. I've done lead roles, support roles, ensemble, tech, set building, pit...whatever, really. I enjoy it, but as for doing it for a living? No thanks. I'd take a role in a professional show every now and again to get away from a day job if they were offered, but I'd be the type to take long breaks and be unwilling to jump in that show 3,000 miles away for $200. I have no dreams of becoming an A-list actor because I'd like to be able to disappear into a crowd still.

What I was wondering is if the theater world has folks that only act professionally occasionally or do it as a kind of part-time thing. I'll run through my acting classes and do whatever in amateur theater wherever I go to be sure, I was just wondering about anything that might happen somewhere between amateur and pro. Is that common? Does it happen at all? Is there anything one can actually DO with an acting minor?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I really don't think this here warrants a new thread but I participated in a Play In a Day activity at school. I really have no idea where this type of thing is or isn't done but it was a blast. For those that have no idea, it's literally plays written, rehearsed, and performed within a 24 hour period. They're usually little 10 minute things that can get...random. I signed up to write and wrote this here. The theme was "It needs to be called Second Wind." Where we went from that was up to us.

I'm curious about what people think about it. It's the first play type thing I've ever written and the reaction to it was actually fairly positive. If it seems imperfect and a touch rushed, remember that it was written in the space of about 8 hours.

http://www.policyoverkill.com/Misc/SecondWind.pdf

• Locked thread