Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looks good, pledged $1399. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:wtchris:

I can fully appreciate the need for a relatively high end soundbar market but this is just too crazy.

Highlights for me are the "full range" 2.25" drivers and that they're describing two 10" woofers with 600 watts RMS (total) behind them as "hell-shattering."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

I signed up to win one.

Me too. I'll put it in the living room and my wife can enjoy 11.2.4 sound while she's watching Beat Bobby Flay. I'll be in the basement with a real audio system.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Not sure if this is the best thread for this but it's my best guess so I'm going with it. Also it's probably gonna be long and there will be NO TLDR. You have been warned.

Saturday night my sorority house neighbors had a big party and I took that as an excuse to use my HT at never before heard obnoxiously high volumes (since presumably if there are any complaints they will be the recipients rather than myself. Also to show them that my stereo (and by extension, myself) is better). Literally max on the receiver and IIRC 3 dB higher on the subwoofers than Audyssey set them at.

And that's when I smelled the smell. Or after an hour or two or something.

At first I thought maybe it was my new subwoofers getting really warm for the first time. Like I couldn't tell for sure if it was the "you let the magic smoke out" smell or if it was the "this thing has never been hot before" smell like you get with new motors and some new electronics and stuff. And I'm still not 100% sure (but pretty sure it's the bad one). But maybe I can't really tell the difference between those smells, and I'm just kidding myself.

Anyway I'm 97% sure that I've isolated the smell not to the new subwoofers but to my ~15 year old speakers. But it doesn't appear to be what I would have guessed, which is one of the amps on the speakers going out (don't ever buy partially self powered HT speakers, kids). It's definitely not the amps powering the 12" in the towers, those are working fine. And I don't think it's the amp that powers the woofers on the center channel because it seems to be working normally and I couldn't detect the smell coming from the center despite rubbing my nose up all over it. Smell seems to be just coming from the towers.

So did I fry some components in my crossovers? All the drivers appear to be outputting sound (kinda hard to say for sure with the tweeters even shoving my ear up to them just because of the sound from the other nearby drivers, but maybe if it's kinda hard to tell that means that's where the problem is). But I can also still smell the smell. I could smell it when they weren't even on by putting my nose up to the seams in the speakers, but now after running them for an hour I can smell it just walking by them.

And there definitely seems to be a sound issue. I'm afraid of confirmation bias but they seem kinda flat and atonal. Maybe especially with dialogue? But then I set the receiver to No Center and it still sounded bad. So either theres ALSO is a problem with the center or the LRs were loving things up enough that the center wasn't overcoming it. It's not bad enough that I can definitely say "this poo poo is broke" but I'm pretty close to saying it. Need to test with a few more sources maybe. But pretty sure.

So anyway, is that a thing? Cranking it enough that you fry your crossovers enough they smell bad and are roont? I assume it is but I've cranked a lot of system over a lot of years and never done it before. But these are fairly elderly and complex (4 way, partially self powered) speakers.

Any recommendations on testing? I've already eliminated the center as the culprit (or at least the only culprit). I've also turned off Audyssey and monkeyed with various other receiver settings. I can pull them apart to disconnect drivers one by one to narrow it to driver issues? That's what I did when I had a problem with the same center channel, one of the woofers was bad (or was it the mid? I can't remember).

I do have a spare tweeter and (I think) spare mid. No spare woofers. But I don't think it's a driver issue. If it is, it's a tweeter. But I don't think so. It's not like it stunk up the whole room but it got pretty smelly and I wouldn't think there'd by anything in a little 1" tweeter that could do that.

Their (Harman Audio/Infinity) used to have parts for sale on their website (even years after they'd been discontinued) but I can't find them now. But tbh if they're messed up I don't think I'll fix them I'll just sell them for parts. IIRC the crossovers were 200 bucks+ back when you could get them factory direct so I don't want to think about what someone would charge for one if they're hard to find.

Which brings us to the fun part of the post (thanks for sticking with me!), what should I replace them with assuming they need to be replaced? I need to think about it a bit more in terms of budget and what I'm looking for but will post that after some more thought.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

synthetik posted:

The easiest troubleshooting steps would be to unplug everything except a single speaker, play some music, see if the sound is distorted, and if the smells comes back. If it doesn't, unplug and try the next one.

Also, get a fire extinguisher.

The smell definitely comes back. On both speakers. That I'm pretty sure of. Like even when they're off I can still smell it a bit if I put my nose right up to one of the seams in the speaker, but playing them at moderate volumes for a while seems to make the smell worse.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Smells like burning and the sound has changed?

Sounds like you may have warped a voice coil in one of the speakers. You could have damaged the crossover somehow, but the voice coils are the most likely culprit, because they're the part that physically moves. High current (max volume) plus possible clipping (max volume) plus high movement (max volume) plus a lot of time isn't the best idea, so to speak.

Hook your phone or computer up to your receiver and unhook all but one speaker. Use an online tone generator to slowly run a frequency sweep. That will let you isolate the different drivers and try to figure out which one might be damaged.

Yeah googling "voice coil" and "smell" results in a lot of people saying exactly what you're saying.

lol whoops.

Probably doesn't help that I also found this about my particular drivers, but maybe it's not relevant:

quote:

I Had a pair preludes a few years ago that i sold only because the mids are known to be faulty and are no longer available from infinity, the coating used on the neo magnet peels off and scrapes the voice coil, found this out when i took apart my old mid, Harman denies any such problems yet many people have complained of the same mid problems

Ebay has a couple used tweeters but no mids or woofers.

I think I'll try and isolate which drivers are causing the problem(s) and then sell everything else for parts. It's probably time for a change anyway and there were aspects about these speakers that I never liked a lot.

I didn't have a great subwoofer is part of why I bought these towers. Now I do have great subwoofers so I think I'll probably go back to a higher end bookshelf?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was thinking back to a bookshelf but after listening to some in person I'm leaning back the other way.

One of my main criticisms of the Infinitys was that they're basically just a (3 way) sealed bookshelf bolted to a sealed 12". The sub is (non-adjustably) crossed over at 80 Hz and the "bookshelf" has a single 6.5" woofer. But now with much better subwooferication, I worry about the ability of something like the B&W 705 with only a single 6.5" to really be able to keep up in the 80-200 Hz or so region. With something like the 702 you've got advantages of: 3 way vs 2 way, 3x6.5" vs 1x6.5", +2 dB sensitivity, and 2.5x the power handling capability.

I should probably get something like JTRs so I could go apeshit on them and it wouldn't matter when I'm drunk af and crank the amp to 11. But their pro audio looks and size are kind of a turn off and I'm not sure I'd like them for music. Just because of my room layout/limitations narrower speakers are also better so an <8" wide tower is definitely preferable to a 12"+ wide tower.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 14, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Went with the B&W 702s and the bigger of the two centers and I'm in heaven so far. Still need to fart around with placement and run Audyssey. They're rear ported so I should probably try pulling them out a bit more from the wall and experiment with some toe in.

Also thinking I might get some B&W DS3s (dipole/monopoles) and upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1. My last house the room wasn't big enough for 7.1 but this one it should work nicely.

Old vs new:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry, I wasn't aware that my home looks like complete rear end and posting about anything you purchased was bragging.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jago posted:

Who taught you how to vacuum a carpet?

Is that what will stop my home from looking like complete rear end?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

If your vacuum cleaner is powerful enough to suck all that wall-to-wall carpet completely off then it will help.

Should I put down hard wood in my HT? That'll help with the sound, right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have googled "vacuuming properly" and will post new pics as soon as I have done so. I apologize for the offense.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have vacuumed though my google search did not result in that many helpful tips so I just winged it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jago posted:

LOL, a little better, but try scooting your speakers and such back, vacuuming where they were, then slide them back to their original position.

Sooner or later I'm sure I'll move the 600 pounds worth of equipment to do a more thorough vacuum but thanks for mentioning it now since that's obviously one of the most important issues.

quote:

Have you tried putting some doilies on top of the shiny, shiny subwoofer?

You realize that the position where this is all utilized from isn't standing. And isn't 6' in front of it. And isn't with all the lights on. Right? You do realize that, right?

quote:

Also, the air intake on the right wall is probably not too hot for your sound stage

Alright I'll make sure this is taken into account if I ever have a home custom built, thanks for the tip.

quote:

Do you think the rats nest of wires is an acceptable state?

I'll probably do something about it sooner or later. I've already done so with a lot of the projector and surround wires. Do you think that whenever someone posts a picture of something it means that it's final and immutable?

quote:

Do you think you have enough bass with this setup?

Yeah, I think so.

quote:

What's with the little tweeter on top of the side channel?

You mean the tweeter that is an integral part of the speaker?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jago posted:

Report me, audiophile.

For what?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I want to see your couch please boner fuel.

Only ladies see my couch. The couch is outside the scope of IYG

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing posted:

I respect the squalor more than the boring suburbia

I'm sorry that my basement ceiling is higher and finished?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

That sound setup is pretty dope, if not a little overkill. I'd move the screen to the front of the alcove though. You could probably also have gone with a floor to ceiling AT screen and put the speakers behind it if you wanted to hide them, but who cares? It's a basement home theater.

I’ve thought about moving it to the front of the alcove. I already had the screen, if I was getting a new one I might have gone acoustically transparent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

taqueso posted:

boner fuel, post your cables

I think I got them bulk from Home Depot. Sorry, I don’t have any snake oil.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This subs obsession with floor coverings is bizarre. I didn’t pick the carpet color and I’m not spending thousands of dollars replacing it in a room that’s supposed to be dark when it’s in use.

Speleothing posted:

And disguise those speakers and woofers because :drat:

What?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

Most of the newer club setups I've seen are hanging line arrays/horns and a shitload of subs on the floor.

The place I worked at back in the day had 8 18s on the floor and a shitload of hanging horns.

The only line arrays I ever really had any contact with were the LS-6s made by av123, the production of which coincided with the owner/CEO getting carted off to jail for a variety of fraud charges and a lot of people never getting the speakers they paid many thousands of dollars for.

http://www.stereomojo.com/LS6%20review/AV123LS6review.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/news/av123-mark-schifter-indicted-grand-jury

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At least one of them looks brand new. I'd rock it, if I still owned a car that had a carb.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My desktop setup is this:

Why is it sitting on a moving blanket that it appears a cat has shat upon

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lowness 72 posted:

What is this thread's opinion of Emotiva? I kind of want to get that stealth dac.

I have one of their amps and it's a solid piece of equipment but it's also ~10 years old. The fact that they've branched out into selling 200 dollar subs and 100 dollar bookshelves doesn't exactly instill me with confidence but at the same time I've never heard or read anything that would make me doubt that they still make quality electronics.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone else remember (or has it already been posted in this thread) the guy on AVS that was taking ERS paper and wrapping it around toilet paper tubes and then running his cables through it? And then IIRC started opening his amp and receiver up and just wrapping ERS paper around everything possible? I saw this thread and it reminded me of that and I hadn't thought about it in 10 years. I'm pretty sure it was a performance art piece rather than a true believer or someone that was just mentally ill but the dude went to some pretty amazing lengths in taking photos for his posts so actually maybe it was both performance art and mental illness. Some googling turned up the thread that I think I'm recalling, but all the images are gone.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/881010-building-my-3rd-audio-system-pics.html

quote:

Baking with ERS Paper

Since I removed all the ERS Paper I had a lot of small pieces of ERS Paper, I didn't know what to do with them, so I made a Valhalla with toilet paper rolls in 3 layers. The live and neutral signals are inside their own tubes, Tara Labs style.

I didn't think it would take so long to make, minutes turned into hours, hours turned into days. After 12 hours I already started hallucinating, it felt like someone was in my room looking at me. I didn't want to spend the time drinking water because I wanted to finish the cable. I didn't want any toilet breaks either. After a while my vision started getting blurry but since I'm no quitter, I just kept on going to the end. At one point it felt like I was baking rollcake.

It was the first and probably the last time I ever make a cable with 3 layers of ERS. The ERS Paper around my 1m Valhalla power cord costs almost a grand.

I used a dozen toilet paper rolls, cotton thread, packing tape, packing foam, dozens of sheets of ERS Paper.
All the layers of ERS Paper are separated with 1cm, because less than 1cm makes it sound muddy.

Listening

I have a 1m Valhalla plugged into the wall that has a single layer of ERS with 2-3 layers around the connectors. I switched to my newly baked triple layer Valhalla with nude connectors. It sounded a little smoother but the difference was very small. I switched back and forth and eventually didn't hear a difference.

Then it was time to compare a nude Valhalla vs my triple layer one. I had nude conductors hardwired into the Toroidal transformer of my DAC1 and the other end was plugged into Premier Power Plant. I replaced it with the triple layer Valhalla and the difference was HUGE. The whole openness flavor had shifted into blackness with more low-level detail, it is scary with new sounds all over the place. Based on previous experiments, the improvements with ERS Paper are cumulative. The more you wrap, the bigger the improvements. After the full system is wrapped and you have a tiny gap somewhere, it is audible.

Next I'm going to wrap my amp.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cat5 and cat 5e don't make a great speaker cables.
The gauge is too thin to be used over long distances. Also they're fairly high capacitance and that could gently caress up your amp or at the very least, cause high frequency loss. (not likely to be noticeable unless you have supersonic hearing.)
If you try to remedy this by twisting all the white pairs together and the solid color pairs together, then you've got a problem because the number of twists per inch varies between each pair. This is done to reduce crosstalk between the pairs, but the result is that each pair will have a different impedance.

Besides, after all that work you would only wind up with an 18 gauge wire anyway, which means you still can't use it for a very long run. For optimum performance 10 feet would be the max on an 8ohm load, half that for a 4ohm speaker.

This was a thing like 15 years ago or something. You braid enough cables that you end up with 10 gauge or so. I made a pair at the time because it gave me something to do during an Alaskan winter while I was sitting in front of the TV and I wanted to prove that they were nonsense, but I never used them long term because they’re so stiff and bulky. I probably still have them in a drawer somewhere.

https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 5, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit this whole setup is nuts. The screen is pitched down towards a sofa I imagine so why are there a dozen drivers pointed above the heads of everyone on it?

I am not a line array expert but I think that sort of curved line array existed for real acoustic reasons but in much larger venues i.e. not a living room with 7 or 8 foot ceilings.

Non curved line arrays exist also, of course.

av123 started producing some line arrays (the LS6 and LS9 IIRC) before the CEO went to prison for charity and/or business fraud.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What does Don’s data say about a 6.8’ tall line source in a 7’ tall room

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BobHoward posted:

It’s hard to imagine a Marty McFly speaker cone like that being stiff enough to work correctly. I bet most of the outer area of the cone just ends up acting like a lovely/weird surround.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Like maybe with some sort of diamond/ceramic/aluminum composite something like that could work?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

It's a really weird thing to do as well, given that rotary woofers go down to DC.

Yeah it’s more of an engineering thought experiment than anything that would ever actually make sense.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I haven’t gotten my Trump bux yet I hope I get them soon as I was planning on using them to purchase high end audiophile equipment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

strtj posted:

Aaaaahhhhhhhh whyyyyyyyyyy it's loving nail polish for your stereo

https://www.highfidelitycables.com/Nanoparticle/NPS1260.php

oh, sorry, your "audio system"

this is supposed to go up your butt right

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

magnets are just solidified electricity

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoesNotCompute posted:

I crosspost in AI sometimes and while my 6' tall Magnepans or 200lb horn speakers are objectively ridiculous, I also spent like $2600 on winter wheels/tires for my sedan. It's important to be consistently stupid.

Which wheels did you get?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

I have a $5,000 pair of speakers. But my subwoofer was only $800. Don’t ask me if that means anything. It probably doesn’t.

I won’t fault anyone who spends more than me. I won’t fault anyone who spends less than me. But I will happily mock people who wax poetic about speaker cables and other audio voodoo. The actual science of sound reproduction is interesting enough without convincing yourself that fuses improve sound, but only if they’re inserted in the proper direction.

it means you need a whole lot more subwoofer

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoesNotCompute posted:

To keep from going too off-thread, the stereo is the most disappointing thing about the car and apparently the higher spec B&O option sucks but just more expensively and with RGB ambient lighting.

(wheels are Rotiform LAS-R 18x8.5 et35)

Further contribution....

Did you know that the reason your stereo has such a high noise floor is actually because the dress plates for your wall outlets are inferior?

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/power/carbon-fiber-duplex-cover/

Nice. I looked at those for winter wheels but then decided to use the factories for winter and get new wider summers but I don’t think Rotiform makes the rights size/offset for that.

Ford switched from Sony to B&O for their “high end” systems and I’m pretty sure they just changed the sticker on the speaker grill. The system isn’t terrible in my Mach-e though. I need to see if I can fit a little sub under the false floor in the trunk.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You audiophiles might appreciate this ~50 year old slide of my fathers I stumbled across.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mental illness is a hell of a thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At least you actually get something with Wilsons. 600 pounds, 12 and 15" woofers, 2x7" mids, gently caress yeah sounds awesome.

Vs. thousands of dollars for cables that do literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

No carpets, wood flooring everywhere for that analog warmth.

You should put down some nice wall to wall carpet, it's great for sound absorption.