Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Panty Saluter posted:

Is that a feature of sharing a ground connection or just the physical closeness of the jack?

It's going to be a bunch of things. Anywhere there's close wires in parallel, you're going to have some kind of crosstalk. The plug itself doesn't even put the ground between the left and right channels. Then... who knows what the wires look like leading to and from the jack.

Someone's gotta offer headphones with twisted pairs for the individual headphone channels... If they don't, you just found your license to print money with audiophiles.

Now the real question is, is there more crosstalk from audio passing through your melon, than -80db from the amp, and cabling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

lol if you don't think they'll retort with some silly bullshit about the twisting changing the pitch or phase or timing or soundstage. I mean they won't even agree to use balanced cables because magic voodoo reasons.

Some, sure. But the other half will swear by them. You could also make claims (legitimate ones) that twisted pair prevents outside electromagnetic fiels from introducing signals into your crystal clean audio. :-)

Edit: Twist one cable one way, the other the other way. To "cancel out soundstage differences".

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oh no, this is firmly tongue in cheek. :-) "Some of them" would buy it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

synthetik posted:

Aren't the twisted pairs in a CAT5/6 cable actually twisted in specifically different lengths to achieve this very thing? I swear I remember reading about that in some class a lifetime ago.

I was thinking left versus right. But yes, the turns per inch changes a little. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want accurate reproduction, then yes.

Tubes have their place. You can realistically make a tube "at home". (There's videos all over youtube) While you can't make useful semiconductors at home. (Ask Jeri Ellsworth, she tried..) They also tend to be essentially static electricity proof, and their failure modes tend to be open circuit, as opposed to dead short. And they tend to burn out, versus blow up.

I don't know anyone who can't get their hands on semiconductors. Unless one or two of you is on a desert island and need to build a radio/stereo. You can make circuits tolerant of fail to short. You can put shielding in to handle blowing up, versus burning out. For almost any other situation, you want semiconductors.

The proof is in the pudding though. Instrumentation amplifiers, are all solid state these days. Those ~absolutely need to be accurate~. And modern big concert speakers use semiconductors too, so both precision, and high power, are both best served by sillicon, GaAs, or other solid state stuff.

Tubes do look cool though...