Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The biggest trouble with awkward rooms is figuring out the correct audio refractor/clarification crystal locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BigFactory posted:

No it's not. The crystals go in the corners regardless of shape or room configuration.

Edit: I know you guys make fun of this poo poo but my very pedestrian hi fi sound 1000% better since I I added crystals to the setup. Not even joking.

Sure, that works for your mid-range setup, but when you're ready to take the next step and eliminate the corners in your room, then where do the crystals go? This is what I mean about awkward rooms; perfectly spherical rooms are hard to deal with but it's so worth the improved listening experience.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I may not know how to checksum a file, but I can sure tell you the ins and outs of hard drive storage technology and its effects on file integrity and DAC.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Who's this Nyquist guy, anyway?

Edit: Wait, didn't even notice MP3 being represented as a waveform. Heh.

Edit2: I guess many of you know this stuff already, but this is one of my favorite articles on audio quality, addressing the Nyquist frequency, sampling rate, and bit depth with regards to human perception.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 7, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I could totally respect someone digging up a bunch of tube microphones and analog studio equipment impose a certain sonic signature or period sound on a recording

Daft Punk actually did this in Giorgio by Moroder on their latest album.

[Moroder went] into a vocal booth and speak about his life. In the studio were multiple microphones of various vintages from the ’60s to today. When Moroder asked the engineer why they had so many mics, he replied that the mic they would use would depend on what decade of his life he was speaking about.

http://urb.com/2012/05/25/breaking-giorgio-moroder-recorded-with-daft-punk/

It isn't really noticeable.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't understand DSP, therefore, I am a trusted source for your digital audio gear.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Idea: Sell diesel generators for audiophiles, using marketing bullshit about how electricity from Big Power can't be trusted not to taint the sound.

Also recommend that for optimal quality they only run it on your brand name audiophile grade diesel.

Generator should be located within listening room for maximum results.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

They could just as easily have improved the built in socket to the same low impedance.

Sure, but how would they sell more Apple-owned Beats wireless headphones that way?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

And of course you should always put on the music you're actually going to be listening to ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04QFKnBIiM

I'm not normally into screamy-metal, but holy poo poo this rules. Going to have to pick up something by them.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

It's wonderfully technical while still staying true to old-school thrashy speed and aggression, plus the production is just spot on. I love the bass in particular, it goes through so clearly in the mix.

It's everything good about modern thrash metal, in one band. Other bands have similar elements, but they don't have all of them at the same time.

And it's sci-fi progressive thrash metal, perfect nerd-fodder.

"Sci-fi" and "nerd-fodder" refer to the lyrics, I assume, which means someone can actually understand the words that dude is tearing out of his shattered larynx? Huh.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's hilarious to me that the title reads like the challenge was to ridicule audiophiles, and it was completed in 11 pages, but the thread is 135 pages long. Y'all really like to rub it in, don't you?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

QC PASSED

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

They do look cool, tho

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Goon project: convince an audiophile to try that and post a review.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No arguments there—I'm 100% on team wired.

But all else being equal, BT isn't poo poo right now, even if it's not preferable for some people—I guess is the main point here.

Still makes no goddamn sense as to why Apple ditched the headphone jack oh wait

Pro business move: buy a headphone company, then make everyone throw away their old headphones.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

So, music and audio aren't the only applications for quantization, compression and transmission. If there truly were developments that invalidated Nyquist's theorem or revolutionized how analog data can be transmitted, there are a lot of fields that are far more sensitive, and monetarily lucrative, than even the most golden of 65 year old rich guy ears. Why aren't they pitching MQA for those applications, I wonder.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's a good article about the one at Microsoft:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170526-inside-the-quietest-place-on-earth

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

who the hell sells used air filters? more importantly who is buying them (for non audio purposes)? i might not like a car much but im not about to roll the dice and munch the engine

"Oh sweet, a six pack of air filters! I replace the filter every other year, and as this 1982 Buick LeSabre will surely last me another twelve years, I can save six dollars! I am a crafty consumer."

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was pretty disappointed with this. He seems totally credulous about the sampling rate and bit depth bullshit. And we already have a perfectly good lossless codec. He doesn't at all go into why this one supposed to be better (it isn't). He doesn't endorse it either, but there's a million questions you can ask about the marketing BS, but he just parrots it instead.

Without any critical analysis, all that's left is... playing a CD. Not the kind of interesting stuff I follow him for.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 28, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm a developer on the Wine project, which is an open-source reimplementation of the Windows operating system on top of Unix. I maintain the audio subsystems for Wine. While I didn't write the patch, I did work with the author to develop and review a patch to update Wine's DirectSound implementation to use a windowed-sync resampler instead of the zero-order hold that it had used for years. (A zero-order hold is when you hold the sample value steady to fill in the gap when upsampling, or skip samples when downsampling. It sounds as awful as it... sounds.) Shortly after accepting the patch, we had a regression report that some game had significantly worse performance due to the more CPU-intensive resampling. It turns out some games use dozens and even hundreds of voices and depend on the audio library to mix them together before sending them to the hardware. For games, latency is far more important than audio quality. If your game's audio is skipping, that's way worse than a couple harmonics slipping in. In retrospect, we should have used a linear sampler and avoided this regression.

All this is to say DirectSound is a low-latency audio API, more intended for gaming than high quality audio playback. It's also a very old API (dates to win9x), and was written to give games direct access to sound hardware, with software mixing as a fallback. The software mixer was written for CPUs of the era. Microsoft is very risk-averse and isn't likely to update its resampler to get better audio quality if it could break any of the hundreds of thousands of Windows applications that exist. DirectSound's use of a linear resampler is perfectly justified.

For a fair comparison, the authors of that article should have done their testing against WASAPI, either in shared mode (to compare with PulseAudio) or in exclusive mode (to compare with ALSA direct). It is not at all fair to refer to the DirectSound resampler as the "Windows resampler."

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 27, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

The blog post and the measurements are absolutely fair, since DirectSound is the default output method in Windows. The blog author knows exactly what he's doing, he's an audiophile who's scientifically minded and doesn't write things without backing them up with measurements. He wanted to show why the default output method in Windows is less than ideal for music playback, and that's what you're gonna get if you leave the default sound settings.

You can be drat sure he's using WASAPI/ASIO in his own setup.

There isn't any "default output method" in Windows. Application developers can choose whatever API they want. DirectSound is largely deprecated since the Windows Vista-era, replaced by XAudio2. WASAPI is the lowest audio API that applications have access to. DirectSound, XAudio2, and all the other multimedia APIs are implemented on top of WASAPI.

In that article, he chose DirectSound output in Foobar2000. Presumably Foobar2000 has other output drivers. If it has WASAPI (a.k.a. MMDevAPI, a.k.a. Core Audio), I'm saying that would be a better comparison for something you could call the "Windows mixer." Music applications shouldn't use DirectSound these days.

I don't thiiiiiiiink ASIO is useful since the sound rework in Vista, but I'm not very familiar with it. I think whatever ASIO did can mostly be done with WASAPI in exclusive mode.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you don't get a reply here, you could try the turntable/vintage thread.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Now I want to see a video of a defective cable being tested.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Deep marketing for a Day of the Tentacle sequel with a shift into the horror genre.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gurz posted:

yeah, I'd like to, but how? Do I need a mod?

-Gurz
Residential Hazard Marker

Yeah, PM or email a mod. They're happy to take care of it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/bluetooth-le-audio-will-bring-multi-stream-audio-to-next-generation-of-devices/

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Top ten tips for beginner scam victims!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

You want your L and R surrounds to be as close to equidistant from the listener as possible, so yeah that Right Surround should be much closer to the sectional.

This is true, but my surround sound crystals overcome this limitation by altering the gravity of your room's sound stage. Only $400/ea. Call now.