Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

I was replying to the question two posts above mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Just a PSA that with the imminent sunsetting of Yahoo Groups, the popular A-100 group there has migrated to https://a-100.groups.io/g/main

Group admission requirements remain the same.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

Is this the place to ask about stuff involving the Peace Corps? I've lurked around a bit and can't seem to find anything, and in my limited knowledge it would seem that it would fall under the umbrella of "US Foreign Service", but there doesn't seem to be any discussion about it.

Peace Corps is not connected to the State Department but there are a number of former PCVs who choose to join State. Embassy senior leadership does help direct and oversee PC efforts in-country, but that’s about the extent of routine contact.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

People make or break a small post. Overall, I’m a fan, but also have been pretty lucky.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Congratulations!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Ditto.

Condolences to all.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Bidding sucks and I feel bad for those having to do so right now.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I mean, I’m only half joking when I say that if you’re bidding on a job with 25 other bidders and you don’t already know you’re getting the job, you’re not getting the job.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I’m of the mind that, for generalists, the sweet spot for a DC tour is at the 01 level. Lots of jobs with good managerial, supervisory and policy aspects, and you get to skip a lot of the lower-mid-level scut work. Director of a small office or deputy of a large one. Good time to get known by the DASs, etc., too. And you’re making enough money that the domestic pinch is not so acute.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Nice!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

zzonkmiles posted:

That awkward moment when CA releases the list of jobs that are still available and you see that this list includes positions you had already bid on the first time around...

Lol

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I imagine that guy will be walking the halls of HST for as long as the department lets him stay. Can’t envision any office or post being willing to offer him a job.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Never leave post with an unfinished EER.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

One upside to BCBS overseas is that all services are considered in-network. I say this not in comparison to FSBP, which has great overseas coverage, but just because it is not intuitive and mentioned like just once in the plan literature.

You’ll have to confirm, but I believe the BCBS Standard plan has access to CVS/Caremark online prescription management but the Basic plan does not. Although it technically is possible to get by without this, getting prescriptions filed and filled is infinitely easier with it. Just another thing to keep in mind when comparison shopping.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Tyro posted:

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Holy crap.

I assumed you were joking but now I'm not so sure.

:shepspends:

Oh, you sweet summer child. . . .

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

cramerthegr8 posted:

Thanks for this. I was a bit confused about whether BCBS had international coverage (it looks like 13,000 providers). FSBP has direct billing with 200 overseas providers. A friend of mine has FSBP and said their system is a bit clunky and communication is a pain when you have to call from halfway around the world.

The prescription plans seem kind of similar, though BCBS has cheaper generics but higher % for other tiers. People generally don't have issues getting medications to post, do they? That's a big worry for me since my fiancé has a lot of prescriptions.

I'm going to have to look into this more. The price difference between the two is pretty crazy ( $387 for FSBP and $608 for BCBS).

It was my impression that FSBP was more expensive than BCBS, so I’m a bit surprised by that difference. But it’s been literally decades since I did a deep dive on this stuff.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

zzonkmiles posted:

Ummm...asking for a friend.

How bad is it to break a handshake maybe 6-9 months before you are supposed to arrive at post? Would the handshake breaker's corridor reputation take a fatal hit?

If I’ve learned anything in my 20 years of federal service, it’s that nothing short of being tried and convicted of a felony is “fatal” career wise.

It’s never great or convenient when handshakes get broken but 1) you haven’t been paneled yet, so the deal wasn’t done, for whatever reason and 2) unless you’re in a super small or tight job field, the world is big and people move on. Having a good reason to break the handshake goes a long way, too. But people break handshakes (and assignments) all the time, and I can only think of two times I know of where the department forced the person to complete their assignment, and those were egregious cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

It’s also easy to become a food snob in this line of work. Case in point: I only eat Peking Duck in . . . Peking.