Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010
I was not happy to hear about this. My heart goes out to all affected by this and all things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010
Hey all, long time second time. I wanted to know if anyone could give me insight to one aspect of language testing. I am specifically proficent in a more gulf/iraqi dialect of arabic and am concerned that when my life comes to the point to where I can test I might have a phone interview with someone with a Levantine accent or even worse North Africa or MSA :ohdear:
Does anyone have any insight on this?

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Continuous posted:

When I took the Arabic language test a few years back, it was offered in MSA, Egyptian & Iraqi dialects. My exam was in the Egyptian dialect, and I'm pretty sure my examiner was a native Egyptian, so I imagine that the Iraqi test would have a native speaker.

That is a relief to hear, I would be a fish out of water with MSA or Egyptian. Thank you.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

the_chavi posted:

From what I recall, you can test in MSA or Egyptian, those are the only two FSI-recognized variants of Arabic. If you are testing in Egyptian you get an Egyptian tester; otherwise you could have a tester from anywhere - Mauritania, Sudan, southern Turkey, Egypt, anywhere. Assuming you're not testing for Egyptian, then the tester will speak in MSA to you, albeit perhaps with the accent of their home country. A Moroccan tester won't test you in their crazy vowelless dialect, nor will a Lebanese tester stretch out every vowel sound to thirty letters long and drop French words in constantly.

What they test for is your proficiency in standard language - you could have an Iraqi accent but if you can still use a relatively formal register you'd be okay. However, if you only know Iraqi dialect then you would score relatively worse. Did you learn Iraqi or MSA first? Basically, if you're comfortable reading the paper and using language that you'd hear on a regular newscast (not a very formal, fully voweled speech or khitab) then you should be okay.

I learned to speak in the Iraqi dialect, slang and laziness and the accent and so on. I can read and understand MSA well, however I have a difficult time with understanding news broadcasts and the like.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Zoots posted:

Slight addendum: when I started MSA training in 2009, they were offering training in Iraqi dialect due to the need at Embassy Baghdad. YMMV now, but I believe that was an option before.

Thanks all for the info. It seems like I ought to either pick up Egyptain or MSA, ugh.
What can be said about actual language use for FSOs? If I learn about how it is use might let me focus on the Egyptain dialect or MSA

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Zoots posted:

You're gonna groan, but IT DEPENDS. :v:

Here in Italy I get a ton of mileage out of my language training since English isn't widely spoken where you need it, the job demands it (both in NIV and ACS), etc. etc.

In Riyadh, between my limited Arabic and most of my PD contacts having studied abroad, I didn't use it as much. Folks would speak primarily in the Nejdi accent - or just use English. I still tried to use the language as much as possible, but it was slow going. Plus Arabic is way more difficult to learn - I had 8 months of it and only got to a 2/2 in MSA.

Such is the fate of what I've seen from people who have learned MSA- they have a hard time talking to the folks but seem to get all the credit of learning it. I'm just jealous. :)

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Zoots posted:

Slight addendum: when I started MSA training in 2009, they were offering training in Iraqi dialect due to the need at Embassy Baghdad. YMMV now, but I believe that was an option before.

Looks like at least for language points DoS is offering them for "ARABIC (ANY VARIETY)" since that language update in Nov '12.
This puts me at ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010
Dip - I hope that everything goes well with your future! I couldn't imagine taking a big step like that with family and what not. You are a goon hero in my book!

I do have a question that you and others might be able to answer- I was wondering how day to day operations and "professionalism" are in comparison to being in the military, as I am getting ready to leave the global force for good.