Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

xzzy posted:

How many in here got cats that will perforate cardboard for no dang reason? Any time we got an Amazon box or whatever sitting open on the floor, one of ours will jump in and staple gun all the way down the edge.
Yes. Any box that comes into the house hold promptly has all its flaps bitten to death by both cats.

Does anybody have a favorite cat brush? Both my current cats are shorthairs with no undercoat, and I want to brush them just to make them happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

By attack, is this teeth/claws into the legs so it draws blood, or he comes out and bats it a bit and then runs away?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes. Any box that comes into the house hold promptly has all its flaps bitten to death by both cats.

Does anybody have a favorite cat brush? Both my current cats are shorthairs with no undercoat, and I want to brush them just to make them happy.

I bought this and I will never go back to non-self cleaning brushes

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Does anyone know of a microchip-sensitive cat feeder that isn't the tiny Surefeed brand? I want something like this, but one that has a storage container for dispensing more than one or two meals.

One of my kittens seems to be getting chubby and I might need to have them on different feeding schedules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How "kitten" is the kitten? I think most doctors want no calorie restriction for the first year (specifically the ideal is 70 kcal per pound per day but most vets I've dealt with just tell us it's not really worth stressing over). Cats take 2-2.5 years to fully grow at which point the calories/pound goes way down.

Unless this cat is eating multiple cups of food per day, in that case yeah maybe you want to curb the grazing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haschel Cedricson posted:

We have had a cat, Stanley Herbert Fitzhenry, for just over a year; we got him when he was a kitten. 90% of the time, he is an excellent cat. However, every now and then he decides that he's going to be a total rear end in a top hat towards my eight-year-old daughter and will literally stalk her around the house and attack her legs. He doesn't display this behavior towards me, my wife, or our three-year-old son, and as far as I can tell she is doing absolutely nothing to provoke the cat. There also isn't any specific thing she did to cause trauma to the cat or anything like that.

What causes aggression towards one specific person like this, and how can I get it to stop?

EDIT: Stanley's mother was a feral cat if that makes a difference in his behavior.

The mother being a feral cat shouldn't make any difference at all - there's really no such thing as a feral kitten if you socialize them early enough.

I can only speculate about what's going on with his aggression towards your daughter. That sounds like a Jackson Galaxy sort of situation. That said, two steps that may help are regularly trimming his claws (NOT DECLAWING) so that he can't scratch her, and intervening with a toy whenever he starts doing it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

xzzy posted:

How "kitten" is the kitten? I think most doctors want no calorie restriction for the first year (specifically the ideal is 70 kcal per pound per day but most vets I've dealt with just tell us it's not really worth stressing over). Cats take 2-2.5 years to fully grow at which point the calories/pound goes way down.

Unless this cat is eating multiple cups of food per day, in that case yeah maybe you want to curb the grazing.

They're both 11 months old right now. My vet recommended not letting them stay on kitten food for much longer than 10. Do you think I should switch over to adult food and continue letting them free feed for awhile?

The one in question is a Maine coon mix, only 7.4 lbs as of earlier last month, but she is slightly rotund.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

They're both 11 months old right now. My vet recommended not letting them stay on kitten food for much longer than 10. Do you think I should switch over to adult food and continue letting them free feed for awhile?

The one in question is a Maine coon mix, only 7.4 lbs as of earlier last month, but she is slightly rotund.

Well your vet is infinitely better qualified to make a judgement as they have the education and have actually seen the cat. :v:

Vets can be idiots too but I'm just a goon.

But switching to adult food around that time is normal. That doesn't necessarily mean adult calories, they continue growing for a couple years. But if kitty is starting to look like a blimp or you can't feel their ribs, dropping calories is probably smart.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

We have had a cat, Stanley Herbert Fitzhenry, for just over a year; we got him when he was a kitten. 90% of the time, he is an excellent cat. However, every now and then he decides that he's going to be a total rear end in a top hat towards my eight-year-old daughter and will literally stalk her around the house and attack her legs. He doesn't display this behavior towards me, my wife, or our three-year-old son, and as far as I can tell she is doing absolutely nothing to provoke the cat. There also isn't any specific thing she did to cause trauma to the cat or anything like that.

What causes aggression towards one specific person like this, and how can I get it to stop?

EDIT: Stanley's mother was a feral cat if that makes a difference in his behavior.

Are there any toiletries your daughter uses that are specific to her and no one else? Perfume, body wash, shampoo, conditioner?

And does she go anywhere regularly like school or some such where she might be picking up the scent of something weird your cat hates, like walking through grass another animal may have peed on?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Does your daughter ever interact with other cats? She could be bringing their scent into your house and provoking Stanley's territorial instincts

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is this really anything more than the cat notices this other animal is the locus of attention from its parents and the cat resents it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VelociBacon posted:

Is this really anything more than the cat notices this other animal is the locus of attention from its parents and the cat resents it?

I don't think cat psychology works like that. I'm not even sure cats experience resentment, let alone in the context of wanting attention from specific people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think cat psychology works like that. I'm not even sure cats experience resentment, let alone in the context of wanting attention from specific people.
They sure the hell do. Ask anybody whose cat shits outside the litterbox only when they have a point to make.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Figure this is the best place to ask.

The snow is starting to melt here (Canada) and I'm thinking about trying to get a catio set up for my two 1.5y/o brothers. I'm mainly having issues with the logistics of it.

I have really severe allergies (grass pollen) and so I want a solution where they can get in and out of the house but that can be relatively well-sealed when not being passed through. I could theoretically put a hole through one of the walls (timber-framed house) but my wife isn't super keen because temperatures get down to like -20°C here and she doesn't want to ruin the insulation or air-sealing of the house. Something else I've thought of is getting a new glass unit for one of my patio doors with a catflap in (I know this can be done - I used to work for a window manufacturer) but in this instance, I'd need to be able to have like, a detachable tunnel leading to a catio cage (or I was thinking I might buy one of those fabric/netting tents you can get off of amazon). It'd have to be detachable because I need the patio door to still be usable when the catio isn't connected.

I don't want to have an open or semi-open window or anything like that because of the aforementioned allergies, plus security is a concern.

Anybody have any ideas on the best way to do this?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They sure the hell do. Ask anybody whose cat shits outside the litterbox only when they have a point to make.
Yeah cats don't do that

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I don't think so re: toiletries/other cats, but I will check.

I don't think it's an attention thing because the cat never has any problems with the three-year-old.

I feel stupid asking this, but is it possible that her reaction of crying is making things worse? Like, she caves instead of "standing up for herself" and therefore Stanley sees himself as above her in the hierarchy?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I feel stupid asking this, but is it possible that her reaction of crying is making things worse? Like, she caves instead of "standing up for herself" and therefore Stanley sees himself as above her in the hierarchy?

Cats don't really "get" human emotions, so I don't think his thoughts are as complex as "she's crying, that means I'm superior". But cats can certainly like to elicit a reaction, and if he can reliably make her cry, it's possible he enjoys it. So your cat might be a bully.

I don't have any specific suggestion how to improve him, but "cat attacks people" is a pretty common problem in Jackson Galaxy videos, so maybe you can watch some of them and see if his solutions work for you. Generally the cat is either bored or needs more litter boxes... But maybe you'll find something that applies to your situation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My cat absolutely enjoys hunting/stalking people more when they give her a strong reaction (like running, cowering, making scared sounds). She doesn't stalk me at all because I don't give her that so instead Quill will straight up leap into my arms from the ground and moderately bite my shoulders instead.

e: after 'hunting' a human she'll often go to her food and grab some into her mouth, turning to stare at the person she hunted while she chews. I'm convinced she's fantasizing that she got the kill.

For what it's worth she doesn't really attack us, or rather it's obvious when she's in that playful mood and she won't engage you with it if you don't bring that same energy to the play session.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I think the most likely answer is bored/playing and knows he can get a good reaction, especially if it's just like a bap and run away situation rather than yowling and teeth and claws. Unpleasant for your daughter though - maybe try more toys and active playing? The best help would be if she learns to not get upset and react so much but that's obviously a lot to ask of her.

Cats absolutely can get jealous, but I think that expresses itself more as inserting themselves into the situation where someone else is getting attention, not random attacks.

Also yeah cats don't actually poo poo outside the litterbox to express displeasure/distain, they do it because they're stressed. The situations that cause them to be stressed are situations that might make a more complex creature upset/angry so it comes off that way, but it's just stress/pure unhappiness rather than anger or resentment or "making a point".

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 21, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Let me tell you about every loving night my wife is out of town and Princess shits next to my loving head

Let me tell you about the very pretty but very dumb kitten I had who once shat IN my hair while I was asleep.

Waking up with 'hmm what's that smell'

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Tiny Myers posted:

Anybody have suggestions for cat treats that are kind of like plastic?

You want one of those crinkle play mats that are filled with plastic, I don't have one but I believe cats that love plastic really respond to the noise.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've always been told they don't but my co-worker's cat shits in their suitcase when they come home from a trip, like clockwork.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Also in regard to the emotions, Katya always freaks out when one of us is upset. Like inconsolable, trying to climb on your lap, when she's usually more reserved. I know that's proof of nothing but I always wonder what she senses.

e: my partner once made the mistake of feeding the new baby before Katya and she was livid, lol. she's such a weird little creature.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 21, 2022

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't think so re: toiletries/other cats, but I will check.

I don't think it's an attention thing because the cat never has any problems with the three-year-old.

It's possible but I think we need to know the nature of these attacks, does he pounce and then bat her legs a bit then runs away? Is he coming with claws and teeth out and it results in injury? If so, are they superficial or do they draw blood?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Also in regard to the emotions, Katya always freaks out when one of us is upset. Like inconsolable, trying to climb on your lap, when she's usually more reserved. I know that's proof of nothing but I always wonder what she senses.

Prinny does this to my wife and Bootsy to me. Chino gets all concerned and has this weird chicken head thing he does.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My youngest cat used to stalk me around the house sometimes, and he'd ambush me out of nowhere (sometimes like a full body tackle into my legs and then trying to wrestle my feet)

He was only ever trying to play though, since we got a cat his age now they take all that energy out on each other with wrestling and play fighting, my guess would be they see the kid as their rough housing partner or something

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only wrestling I see is when Abby gets the zoomies, sprinting back and forth through the house. After a bit of that Penny (who is a very submissive and reserved cat) gets sick of it and tackles her, like she's sick of the noise and needs it to stop. It cracks me up every time.

They wrestle for a little bit and then I interrupt it with a couple treats because eventually Abby gets too rough and sends Penny crying.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Me when I'm feeding my cat treats: Hahaha she's so cute when she stands up on her hind legs like people! :3:
Me when my cat finally managed to catch my fingers with her fully outstretched claws: Ow, wtf this hurts. :gonk:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My cat does not like it if you wear socks in the house, and if you do so she will stalk and pounce on your besocked feet. She's fine with shoes, bare feet, or slippers, but socks? Socks must be hunted.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill is ~9 months old, spayed female, sometimes when she's sitting at my open window she makes a prolonged meow that sounds almost like a cat version of a husky/wolf howl. Is she trying to get the attention of other cats? We're up in an apartment building.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Khizan posted:

My cat does not like it if you wear socks in the house, and if you do so she will stalk and pounce on your besocked feet. She's fine with shoes, bare feet, or slippers, but socks? Socks must be hunted.
Socked feet are just the best cat toys, your cat probably loves them!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VelociBacon posted:

Quill is ~9 months old, spayed female, sometimes when she's sitting at my open window she makes a prolonged meow that sounds almost like a cat version of a husky/wolf howl. Is she trying to get the attention of other cats? We're up in an apartment building.

I think this is a "cat is cat" thing because mine does the same thing sometimes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
One of my cats seems to be "heavy pawed". What I mean is, when she jumps down from tables, chairs, counters etc it makes the loudest THUD sound I've ever heard a cat make. It almost sounds painful, like she's not absorbing the shock of the landing at all or something. It's pretty funny now because she's only about a year and a half old, but I'm worried it's going to mess up her little paws and cause arthritis in the future.

My other cat in comparison is almost whisper quiet when he makes the same landings.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When butters has zoomies it sounds like a bag of potatoes being rolled around upstairs at high speed. She's 6lbs.

The terror

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Not that it was asked for but ya'll getting it anyways: 8 month kitten report!

He seems to be doing well! My only major concern is that he occasionally seems obsessed with cleaning his rear end. He appears to be a medium/long coat so I wonder if he's just not feeling clean? Visually everything seems normal back there. I'll catch him stopping every few steps to mop on aisle rear end roughly once a week. Try sanitary shaving?

Also corroborating prior posts: This guy likes to sit under the bed and hunt human feet moving around. It's usually cute but every once in a while he forgets the step before profit where the claws have to stay in.

Him and the adult cat continue to get along. Morning games of tag and occasional kitty piles are still happening.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 24, 2022

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Boogalo posted:

When butters has zoomies it sounds like a bag of potatoes being rolled around upstairs at high speed. She's 6lbs.

The terror

Aw she looks like my Katya. He's bigger but also sounds like a little horse when he's got the zoomies and he makes a little mrp when he jumps down. My buddy is 11 months and about 9lbs and otherwiss agile.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Silver point solidarity on this page! Here's Merlin being a floof:

He's a healthy 9.6 lbs, exactly the same as six months ago. But he hits the ground like a much heavier cat. Could it be because his legs are relatively short? He's super agile on the floor, but he doesn't seem to like heights. He doesn't jump up on the sofa or chairs very often, and he only goes on the bed to nap next to my partner or me.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat sometimes also stomps around pretty heavily. She's a big 14 pound cat, but she can be whisper quiet if she wants to, so I guess she just likes stomping sometimes. I hope it's not bad for her joints.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Can a vet do anything about emotional/stress vomiting?

I adopted my fluffy rear end in a top hat at the very end of November. He’s a senior (10 years old) that was surrendered to the shelter for house soiling. They tested him and he had urinary crystals, so no surprise there. They treated him and they were monitoring his recovery when I brought him home. He peed in my bed two times soon after arriving, but he saw the vet in mid-December and everything was fine on the urinary end and in the general check-up, and no more pee incidents since.

But he’s vomited many times. Maybe once every week, skipping some. I went back to working in the office part time this week (mandatory since covid is easing up), and I’ve come home to vomit all three days. He rarely if ever does it when I’m home with him (twice I’ve heard him during the night), which leads me to think it’s stress/anxiety. He’s very cuddly but also very skittish/easily spooked.

The vomit itself has no hair balls, and it’s liquid/mushy (so digestion is advanced).

Any thoughts welcome.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

One of my cats seems to be "heavy pawed". What I mean is, when she jumps down from tables, chairs, counters etc it makes the loudest THUD sound I've ever heard a cat make. It almost sounds painful, like she's not absorbing the shock of the landing at all or something. It's pretty funny now because she's only about a year and a half old, but I'm worried it's going to mess up her little paws and cause arthritis in the future.

My other cat in comparison is almost whisper quiet when he makes the same landings.

My cat is also super loud when she jumps down from anywhere. I had always thought cats were supposed to be graceful until I heard her thudding around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Harriet Carker posted:

My cat is also super loud when she jumps down from anywhere. I had always thought cats were supposed to be graceful until I heard her thudding around!

Cats can be silent when they feel like it, but usually they stomp around with abandon when they're feeling comfortable and safe.