Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Image of dizzy kitty in the Vet's spinny chair will entertain me for the rest of the day. I wonder if that's improv or something they teach in vet school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I finally got a new phone and as such that means better cat pix.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Gaj posted:

I finally got a new phone and as such that means better cat pix.

p sure that's an owl

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Boogalo posted:

Image of dizzy kitty in the Vet's spinny chair will entertain me for the rest of the day. I wonder if that's improv or something they teach in vet school.

It has to be the latter because they explicitly told us they were probably going to try that before we even brought him in. It’s extremely on-brand for my cat to *not* throw up when it’s needed even though he’ll barf up a breakfast on the hallway rug every now and then.

He seems in good spirits this morning with a normal appetite and pooping (though it was string-free poop) so hopefully he’ll pass this with no issue, we’ll see.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Boogalo posted:

When Maple ate the plastic butterfly wing (and passed it before a routine appoinment), the vet told us there were no reliable emetics for cats (unlike dogs), and their only method was general anaesthesia meds, and hope it happens as a side effect.

Which on the one hand is very on brand for cats, but it seems odd that there's not a single chemical that would do it (and not harm the cat...)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats loves eating plastic, particularly packing tape and shrinkwrap. I actually found a large piece (like a few inches long) in her poop. I really hope she doesn't mess herself up doing it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'd think something grass juice would do the trick

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shredded sharp cheddar works for Milly.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Mine likes to chew up, lick, but now swallow paper.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Idiot cat ate 2.5 feet of yo-yo string. Spent $450 at the emergency hospital trying to get him to throw up (which apparently included the vet spinning him in a chair to make him dizzy) to no avail. Now I get to watch his turds for the next two days :mad:

Mine ate an earplug the other day. We took her to the emergency vet the next day and they said "It's too late to even attempt throwing up." I've been watching her and the litter boxes like a hawk while worrying for... 3 days now? She finally pooped a bit so at least things are moving along. No earplug in the poop, though :(

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat has taken to eating my long hairs and then pooping out a bunch of little poops stringed up on one of them. I had heard of this phenomenon but I didn't really believe it until I saw it myself.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

Shredded sharp cheddar works for Milly.

One of my cats, Oscar (the Grouch) loves extra sharp cheddar chesse and another one, D.D. (Dumpster Diver) always comes around but may or may not eat it depending on how she is feeling that day. L.T. (Little Trash) is not interested in people food at all anymore.

Oscar also loves bacon, buttered toast, elotes (a mixture of corn/mayo/butter/cheese) and ice cream. He's kind of pushy about ice cream and will get right next to me wanting to lick the spoon. However, he only likes a taste of it and goes away after a few licks.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Cheese is my foolproof method of pilling Katya. I've tried wet food and treats but she just eats around it, but bury it in a piece of cheese and she gets so hype she doesn't even notice the pill. I know cats are lactose intolerant but I will admit to letting her lick a bit of yoghurt off my finger too every once in a while, she loves dairy so much.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I mean sharp cheddar works for Milly because its the only people food she'll eat and will barf it up 5 minutes later on the dot. Princess with a sensitive tummy.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Some people get bummed out about these, but I cannot recommend dehydrated bunny ears enough. My Stevie Bean goes nuts for them and will play fetch with them for hours. I find mine in the doggie treat section of our neighborhood pet store and I imagine any place with a decent food selection would have them. I use this brand: https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essentials-Freeze-Dried-Rabbit-Treat/dp/B01M0SFHKO they don't really have a smell/stench like some more, er, primal treats can and they're like cat nip for Steve. He will rub his face all over them and chew them as well as fetch.

Most meat rabbits are live in cages for their whole sad lives. I know that there’s no ethical consumption in capitalism but there should be something better than this.

If you live anywhere near southeast Wyoming I can give you ears from happier rabbits.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Our old Maine Coon loved popcorn so much she would actually run into the kitchen and start yelling if she hear the microwave fire up but so far Harold doesn’t give a poo poo about any people food at all. :confused:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

My cat, Hemingway, is driving me a bit crazy at times. He is very talkative. I reached out to my local vet for advice. They said ignoring and not rewarding him when he constantly meows probably won't work but rewarding him when he's quiet might. They said an auto-feeder might help for removing the expectation of me providing food though I'm not clear if that works for wet food. Someone suggested I just be a bad cat dad and given in some times. I'm wondering if switching to a high fiber food I can just leave out constantly might be a solution. He is constantly trying to eat my food which can be frustrating.

I know part of this has to do with me, I'm going through some poo poo and am not able to be as patient as normally am. I also struggle with my inability to control the situation. I'm trying to work on that and be understanding.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not you. Some cats are just annoying assholes about food and there's not much you can do about it. The auto feeder or free feeding are probably your best options.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Move is in a few days, hope he can handle it :ohdear:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Speaking of, we're moving in a month or so and it's the first time with a cat for us. I'm not too worried about her adjusting to the new place since she was literally flown into the country and moved from a shelter to ours in a matter of days and was absolutely fine with that, but how to handle moving day? It's fairly close by but there aren't too many rooms we can close off and I'm paranoid about having the front door open while we move everything in because it opens on a busy street.

I was thinking of asking a friend to house her for the day and then picking her up after everything is in place, but maybe we should lock her in the bathroom with a big sign on the door that says "CAT INSIDE, DO NOT OPEN"? Any tips?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can you guys recommend a cordless vacuum for cleaning up around the litter mat? I sweep, but I was thinking it'd be nice to have a quick way to clean up some stray litter, since I have hardwood floors.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

InvisibleMonkey posted:

maybe we should lock her in the bathroom with a big sign on the door that says "CAT INSIDE, DO NOT OPEN"? Any tips?

That's pretty much what we did. It will not be fun for kitty, and she will complain, but it will be temporary.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you can trust that the bathroom will remain shut the entire time, that's your best bet. If you're not absolutely certain, then keep her in a carrier in a quiet corner of the new home. She's gonna freak out no matter what, may as well keep her safe during the process.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pidan posted:

My cat has taken to eating my long hairs and then pooping out a bunch of little poops stringed up on one of them. I had heard of this phenomenon but I didn't really believe it until I saw it myself.

The worst necklace.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Lock her in the bathroom with a big sign on the door that says "CAT INSIDE, DO NOT OPEN"? Any tips?

That's our plan. We figure for the couple of hours of actual *moving stuff in and keeping the door open* time there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to go into the bathroom. We figured we'd put her carrier, water, litter tray, and something that smells like her (cat tree in the bath maybe?) in there too to hopefully reduce stress.

Wednesday is being fed by a catsitter this weekend and last time it seemed like she stayed in her hidey hole the whole time we were away and only came out to eat in secret. Yesterday when the catsitter arrived, she was in the living room and apparently seemed a bit confused that it wasn't us returning but instead of bolting (usual response to a stranger) Wednesday apparently came and had some scritches and seemed fairly relaxed. I'm really glad, she's a very sociable cat so it's good to hear that she's had some interaction.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 19, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Can you guys recommend a cordless vacuum for cleaning up around the litter mat? I sweep, but I was thinking it'd be nice to have a quick way to clean up some stray litter, since I have hardwood floors.

I have a little black and decker dustbuster type thing. It's not great for regular litter but works well enough for crystals which is what I use now.

overall the best purchase I made w/r/t cleaning tracked litter was a Neato Botvac. If I spot clean I'm inevitably going to miss stuff but I can run the robot vac every other day and keep the whole area around the litter box clean. I wouldn't have shelled out full price for a new one but I found a refurb with a warranty for ~$150 and I have definitely gotten a lot of use out of it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bioshuffle posted:

I have one of these and it is great for litter and general quick around the house stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LXOJC0 Give a quick sweep, then suck up the pile with the vac.

My go-to for big messes is a mighty mite though and what I use every few days to clean up around the litterboxes. You can get a little scrubby brush attachment for them too for cleaning furniture and stairs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LXOJC0

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Thanks guys, I’ll think we’ll go with the bathroom and just time everything really well.
There’s a separate toilet so I think it should be fine during the move as long as I make sure the door stays closed.

As for vacuums, we have an Eufy vac robot that runs on a schedule (not so much, these days) and our cordless upright AEG vacuum was a game-changer for me, a person who used to hate vacuuming.

Idk if you remember my diy fancy litter-cabinet, it’s still a huge hit with Katya but every time she jumps out it just sprays litter everywhere. Gotta see about mat alternatives because I do enjoy that it doesn’t look like a litter box at all. :/

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there any correlation between food water content and cat poop consistency? It seems the more wet food my cats eats per day the dirtier her butt is. Ive already switched to half dry/wet and everything is fine but I would like to identify what is causing this since I would like to keep her on all wet since she isnt a big drinker.

Im loving my new phone and Im going to share with you some cat love

https://youtu.be/jUpOzT-Wycs

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
There's a super friendly cat that's been hanging around my apartment block lately. It's super skinny and matted, but behaves like a pet cat (it literally jumps into my arms and snuggles down). Do I....m do I feed the cat?

I haven't dealt with a cat before and I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't adopt a cat anyway, but what should I do about this kitty? It doesn't look like any of these the cats in the lost pets groups in my area.

Idk guys it's wet outside and I don't want it to get too cold.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Feeding the cat is better than not feeding the cat. I feed a few local strays and one showed up suddenly with a cut eye so I scooped and took him to the spca. Its worth checking around our area for rescue organizations and they can give you some more info on how to handle it. Ideally they can help find kitty a home, other things are trap-neuter-return programs to help with population control.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Boogalo posted:

Feeding the cat is better than not feeding the cat. I feed a few local strays and one showed up suddenly with a cut eye so I scooped and took him to the spca. Its worth checking around our area for rescue organizations and they can give you some more info on how to handle it. Ideally they can help find kitty a home, other things are trap-neuter-return programs to help with population control.

This is good advice. If you don't have similar organizations where you live, try to call a local vet and ask them what you should do. My friend works at a vet's in reception and spends a good part of her day advising people on stuff like this.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Okay, I'll keep an eye out for the little fella and pick up a can or two of food from work. I think I know where the cat hangs out, so I'll try and get it used to me.

Idk why I'm so invested in this random cat, is this a thing?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bomrek posted:

Okay, I'll keep an eye out for the little fella and pick up a can or two of food from work. I think I know where the cat hangs out, so I'll try and get it used to me.

I'd say you've been adopted by a cat, Bomrek Kittyfound. Yes, it's a thing, not just in Dwarf Fortress :)

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bomrek posted:

this is how you become a cat owner, you have been chosen.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bomrek posted:

You realize that you're being domesticated by said catte?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't think we've ever paid for a cat? They just show up and sometimes they're kittens and sometimes they're old farts

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
You pay for a cat one way or the other, my wonderful 'free' kittens just got chipped and spayed/neutered for just north of $300. I've also accrued quite the sleep debt from their steadfast refusal to adapt to sane human hours. Totally worth it to be able to have a poo poo day at work and come home and open my door to a kitten joyfully running to me past me to be chased around the apartment halls.
I've got a very similar Black+Decker handheld vac and it does pretty good for keeping litter areas tidy between larger cleanings, if your floors are old and have seams the litter can get into its not perfect but good enough for me.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gaj posted:

Is there any correlation between food water content and cat poop consistency? It seems the more wet food my cats eats per day the dirtier her butt is. Ive already switched to half dry/wet and everything is fine but I would like to identify what is causing this since I would like to keep her on all wet since she isnt a big drinker.

Im loving my new phone and Im going to share with you some cat love

https://youtu.be/jUpOzT-Wycs

that is a beautiful cat

I'm not sure about a wet/dry food to poo poo correlation but the type of food certainly has an impact, I switched my cat over to almost all wet food a couple years ago and didn't notice a change, but if he eats cheap stuff things can get pretty heinous. in his case if it's not grain free the smell is unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Guys I can't have a cat right now, I just want to make sure this one doesn't like, die in the cold. I'm not a dorf I swear :(

There's been wildfires up this way recently, I almost wonder if he's from a home that burned down. Seriously doesn't act like a stray at all.