Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asking in here as well because I'm not sure which thread is more appropriate:

So my wife and I recently adopted two rescue cats and the smaller of the two was really skittish and found his way into a gap in our unfinished basement ceiling. This is the start of his second day up there. We've seen him a few times but so far it doesn't seem like he's come out to get food. We put water/food up in the ceiling where I last saw him so hopefully he'll at least get something, maybe.

How do we get this cat that doesn't like us/know us out of the floor joists? I'm open to taking down the ceiling if it comes to that, I don't want him trapped up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

He won't be trapped. He'll start to come out when he feels braver. Hiding is a cat's natural inclination when it's in a new place.

Give it some time. He won't starve himself to death.

I just hope his sense of navigation/association outside of the ceiling is strong enough to make him want to come out. He's bonded with the other cat we got so we're hoping he'll find his way out for that reason alone but he didn't seem super food motivated and even though we can hear them mewing to each other from under the door it doesn't seem to have coaxed the other one out of his perch just yet.

We're also not sure how talkative the hiding one is so I'm worried we might miss hearing him if he's in distress.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just want to share with folks that the ceiling cat has been rescued. He somehow found his way under our bathtub and we had to cut through it to get him.
There are pics/videos in the other thread, don't want to spam them since I'm sure there's a lot of crossover.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bobstar posted:

This is good advice, we've started doing it with our tiny ones.

Speaking of blenders, today Maple approached me from the left on the sofa, while my Macbook was at full-speed fans on my right. I picked her up to pop her on my lap (which she normally likes), except in this instance I was moving her closer to the scary screaming box. Kitten leaps vertically out of my arms like a crazy helicopter. Sorry Maple!

She's forgiven me though

these picture disc gimmicks are getting out of hand

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cross posting this from the vet thread in case anyone here has ever seen this before:

Taking my little fella Bowie here to the vet on monday but I figured I'd post here in case someone can assuage my fears in the meantime

He seems completely fine but I've noticed some discoloration the white hair on his nose/hair loss near his left eye (you can see both in this picture)

any thoughts on what this could be/should I expedite the vet trip?