Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I was looking up cat bite care the other day cause I got got, once stupidly trying to get one of the kittens to lick food off my finger after he dropped it out of his bowl, and another time giving liquid medication (I have since refined my technique on this).

Found a doc saying that 85% of cat bites get infected, and the best care is to go to docs where they'll open the wound up. Most of the problem is that cat teeth are like little needles and they get super deep and then the wound closes up immediately so it can't drain and you can't clean it, then you get bacteria building up in there.

Can definitely attest to that as one of the punctures when I got bit was literally invisible, despite being quite painful.

That said, I didn't go to the doctors, and I'm fine. So :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah honestly it was horrible having to treat my cats - I also suffer from anxiety.

We got 2 kittens and at first one of them had a slightly weepy eye. Didn't seem like anything major so just kept a watch on it. Few days later he started having yellow discharge so I booked him in with the vets. By the time the appointment came around a couple of days later he was sneezing and wheezing...

Basically ended up with both kittens having eye and upper respiratory infections, for 3-4 weeks in total. Had to give them 2 different kinds of eye drops, half an hour apart, 4 times a day... then that didn't fully work so had to take them back to the vet, then had nose drops to give them, also 4x/day, then oral antibiotics once a day, plus they were wearing cones...

So all in all it was 8 different instances of eye drops, 4 lots of nasal drops (though I could give those at the same time as one of the eye drops), 1 lot of oral antibiotics, times 2 cats, every day. Plus each time I gave them eye drops I had to wipe the discharge from their eyes with damp cotton balls, then dry them off with dry cotton balls,, all while either scruffing them or wrapping them up in a towel burrito. It was.. a lot. One of the cats started out absolutely hating it and the other one was relatively chill... and then the one who initially hated it chilled out and became very relaxed and super easy to work with, and the one who was initially chill became VERY anxious about it and squirmed and scratched every time.

I was really worried that they were both going to end up hating me, but thankfully they've both fully recovered now and it's like they don't even remember. That said one of them used to be pretty chill about being picked up but he doesn't seem to like it too much anymore - I don't know if this is due to all of the medical stuff or if he would have just decided he didn't like being picked up anyway. In any case, he's still very affectionate when he wants to be.

Anyway, your cat will probably be fine and as much as he hates being pilled he'll probably forgive you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Is there any way I can train my cat not to be such a goddamn idiot using the litter tray? He poops, then tries to cover it up, but typically has really bad aim when he's trying to cover over the poop, and often he stands in the poop, gets it on his paws and then walks it around the house - this happens once every few days and I have to lure him to one place using a treat, scruff him, then try to clean him up. Previously it's also been bad enough that I've had to put him in the bath and get a tray with some water in and wash him that way - unfortunately this stresses him out greatly and makes him lose trust in us.

We've tried him with a high sided litter tray and a shorter one but in both cases he usually backs his rear end right up to the edge and either gets it right up the wall of the high sided one or sometimes over the edge of the shorter one.

His brother is just fine using both types of tray - has never had a mishap and has great aim when digging to cover his doings.

Like, it's not a huge deal, I can get over it, but it really would be nice for him and us if he could just not be such a dumbass.

E: Oh yeah, he's about 15 weeks old.

empty whippet box posted:

Found an old cat collar that we had put on our first cat a long time ago, but he didn't like it and he's an inside cat anyway so it's just been kind of around. The cats kept messing with it so we put it on one of the other ones, a four year old black kitty, and he absolutely loving loves it. I've never seen him act this happy and relaxed! he's super blinky, rubbing on us, sitting by us way more than usual and just seems all around super loving pumped about it. We took the collar off for a minute to remove the bell and he instantly seemed distressed and hid under the table until we put it back on, and he went back to acting all happy again. This seems weird to me?? Has anyone else had a cat who just loving LOVES having a collar?

Also yeah this is great and hilarious. All the cats I've ever had hated collars and wanted them off as soon as possible.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 26, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So one of my cats has an upper respiratory infection again - don't think it ever quite went away from the first time, he's been a bit sneezy etc., and so we're having to give him oral antibiotics again (doxycycline liquid)... and he's *absolutely amazed me* with his behaviour re: taking his medicine. The vet told us it was irritating to the throat so to give them wet food after etc. so it can't be nice stuff. I'm pretty sure it's not flavoured with fish or anything like that - just straight up medicine.

Anyway, after the first few times where I had to grab his head and tilt it back to get him to take it, he now comes *running* when he hears the sound of me shaking the medicine bottle. I fill the syringe (with no needle, it's just to squirt it into his mouth) and hold the syringe out for him and he'll lick the end of it, then I just push it into his mouth a little and squirt it in. He's done this about 5 times now. It's incredible, never seen anything like it.

And I know that he doesn't like the taste because of how he reacts afterwards - he immediately starts licking his fur to get the taste off and he also does a bit of a "bleugh" reaction as if he's just taken a neat shot of vodka... but he still takes it voluntarily anyway. I guess he just knows that it has to happen, and associates it with having food afterwards?

I've never had an easier cat than him in just about every regard - he's so sweet, very pliable, happy to be picked up even when he's in the middle of other stuff, eats anything he's given, has never had any kind of litter box issues, he generally listens and learns when he's told off not to do stuff again (though there is still a table he gets on now and then when he shouldn't).

Now if I could just get his brother to act the same.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Found blood in my cat's pee the other day and had to take him to the emergency vet.

$750 later and he's had an ultrasound, urinalysis and has antibiotics and pain meds. It was a bacterial infection.

Just a reminder to all that if your male cat has pee in his blood that is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

my cat is norris posted:

How's he doing?

Sorry, I missed this. He's absolutely fine. Hasn't had any more issues.

My other cat Inigo also cost us a bunch of money recently - he ate a piece of yarn my wife was using for a marker while knitting - a little loop about 10cm total length. Took him to the emergency vet again who gave him some strong sedatives to make him vomit, which he did, but he didn't puke up the yarn.

Took him home, where he seemed *extremely* stoned, and just had to keep an eye on him. A week later it showed up in his poop. Expensive little idiot.

Anyway, different issue: Discipline.

We've been having some of the usual cat problems: scratching furniture, getting up on places where he's not allowed, breaking into cupboards to get at food etc. and something I've read is recommended, and we've been having some success with is time-outs, or as I like to call it, "cat jail". Most of the time he gets a warning with a loud and stern verbal "Oi!" from me, and then if he does it again I pick him up, carry him to the bathroom and shut him in for 5-20 mins depending on how much of a pain in the rear end he's been being.

Seems to mostly be working, he knows that the "Oi!" is followed by specific action so he often just stops being naughty with a warning, but I still have to put him in jail sometimes.

The most recent time was this morning at 6:45am. He was in the cupboard again trying to get at his food. We have these lovely closets with sliding doors and I've yet to work out how to stop him getting in there. Anyway, I chased after him and this time he ran absolutely hell-for-leather, worked himself up until he was terrified, and then when I actually caught him he peed a little. Now my wife thinks that I should have let him go, she says it's bad to get him so scared. I think if we let him get away without punishment a single time then it'll reinforce the "If I run away, nothing happens!" behaviour.

Any thoughts, thread?

FWIW he's absolutely fine this morning. I put him in there for 20 mins and let him out and then went immediately back to bed and ignored him, then when I got up this morning he came and said hello to me like he normally does, and let me pick him up, and also spent some time on my lap, so he's definitely not scared of me or anything and doesn't seem traumatised.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 11, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My two kitties have just been "in the wars" over the last week or so with different issues. One had a urinary blockage that had us quite worried and cost us an absolute fortune in emergency vet fees, and the other had a facial abcess like a day later.

We're having to give them both meds now, and it's been *absolutely incredible* how good they've been about it. One of them we have antibiotics to give him and the pill itself is supposed to be formulated and given like a treat, which works great, the other has some pills for stress where it's just half a pill every 12 hours, and it turns out he'll just eat it out of my hand like a treat. I guess it helps that we have them trained to eat small biscuits/kibble etc. out of our hands as a treat. Either my cat thinks these tablets are some kind of treat (he'll basically eat anything) despite them presumably tasting horrible or of nothing, or he understands that they make him feel better.

Here they are snuggling on my chair:

Inigo is the tuxie and Westley is The Man In Black.

Anyway we have to give Westley prescription urinary food now, which sucks. We can afford it but the ingredients are terrible. Does anybody have experience or suggestions regarding giving commercial "urinary" food instead of the prescription stuff? I asked in the diet and nutrition thread but it doesn't seem to get much traffic.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

You did the right thing.

Rabies aside, you should always get cat bites checked out because their teeth are like little needles and covered in bacteria. They essentially inject bacteria under your skin and then because the wound is so narrow the entry seals over and the bacteria is left do do its thing under your skin in a nice moist warm environment. If you're unlucky you can get bad infections pretty deep into your tissue, and that's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Figure this is the best place to ask.

The snow is starting to melt here (Canada) and I'm thinking about trying to get a catio set up for my two 1.5y/o brothers. I'm mainly having issues with the logistics of it.

I have really severe allergies (grass pollen) and so I want a solution where they can get in and out of the house but that can be relatively well-sealed when not being passed through. I could theoretically put a hole through one of the walls (timber-framed house) but my wife isn't super keen because temperatures get down to like -20°C here and she doesn't want to ruin the insulation or air-sealing of the house. Something else I've thought of is getting a new glass unit for one of my patio doors with a catflap in (I know this can be done - I used to work for a window manufacturer) but in this instance, I'd need to be able to have like, a detachable tunnel leading to a catio cage (or I was thinking I might buy one of those fabric/netting tents you can get off of amazon). It'd have to be detachable because I need the patio door to still be usable when the catio isn't connected.

I don't want to have an open or semi-open window or anything like that because of the aforementioned allergies, plus security is a concern.

Anybody have any ideas on the best way to do this?