Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

Why did he get killed by Taker when he went to WWE? Was there heat or what?

It was just an angle to give more heat to the Undertake's feud with Ric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
His recent run aside, did Goldberg do anything of note in the WWE? Or even in WCW after the streak ended? I watched the WWE 24 about him and I got to wondering what his post-streak career was like.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

His recent run aside, did Goldberg do anything of note in the WWE? Or even in WCW after the streak ended? I watched the WWE 24 about him and I got to wondering what his post-streak career was like.

Goldberg's WCW run post-streak was him being awesome in the sea of poo poo that was 1999, the fans begging WCW to make him THE MAN again to the point where Goldberg was very noticably the only guy who the fans really cared about week to week, and WCW going "ha ha ha, Goldberg as the champion will never work".

Goldberg turned heel in 2000, and fans responded by not giving a single poo poo and cheering him anyways.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Incessant Excess posted:

He beat heel Rock (who had just beaten Hogan and Austin) and Jericho, then feuded with Triple H (w/ Evolution) for the title for six months and after that helped Eddie to win the title from Brock.

He was pretty much an unstoppable monster face for the whole time.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 23, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think he lost like three times total his entire run (amusingly all of them to Triple H)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How different were the Sheepherder matches from the Bushwhacker matches?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

How different were the Sheepherder matches from the Bushwhacker matches?

The Sheepherders were violent bloody brawls, among the best of their time.

The Bushwackers licked people.

It'd be like if Mick Foley made himself over as Santino. (Which he kind of did doing all the comedy stuff in late 99, but not quite the total makeover.)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

DeathChicken posted:

I think he lost like three times total his entire run (amusingly all of them to Triple H)

Correct. All three of Goldberg's losses in his first WWE run were pinfalls to HHH:

Summerslam 2003: Despite being legit injured, HHH lays down and out of the entire Elimination Chamber match while Goldberg dominated only to pop up at the end and hit with the Sledgehammer to retain his belt.

RAW after Survivor Series 2003: The day after Goldberg FINALLY goes over Trip for the World Title, HHH pins him in a 3-on-1 handicap match to get his heat back.

Armageddon 2003: The very first PPV after Goldberg's title win, HHH steals a pin on Goldberg and regains the strap after Kane chokeslams him in a Triple Threat match.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

(Which he kind of did doing all the comedy stuff in late 99, but not quite the total makeover.)

This was the best version of the Mankind character and I will hear no different.

I think Goldberg’s first run in WWE was what killed me on the product. I’m not enough of a wrestling fan to be able to properly critique pushes, but even as like a 14 year old I felt his run was uninspired. That and Scott Steiner’s WWE run I was just all fed up with it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

On the subject of Mike Bennet, when he first entered the indie scene he was incredible simply because his style was very "sports entertainment" with rest holds aplenty, playing to the crowd and basically giving the fans nothing of what they wanted and milking as much heat out of it as possible.

The minute the whole "Kingdom" thing started though he just got boring as he was working indy style but wasn't great at it so he just came off as forgettable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
How many people have actually done a trolling "anti-indie" gimmick like that, didn't Foley do that sort of thing in his ECW run?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jeff Hardy, unintentionally, or intentionally

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How many people have actually done a trolling "anti-indie" gimmick like that, didn't Foley do that sort of thing in his ECW run?

He did, and a big part of that was pleading with Tommy Dreamer to tone it down because the ECW fans weren't worth it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Where did the nickname big sexy come from and how did the announcers call Nash that with a straight face?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Incessant Excess posted:

Where did the nickname big sexy come from and how did the announcers call Nash that with a straight face?

He is big and sexy. Hence the nickname, big sexy.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Incessant Excess posted:

Kevin Nash is big and sexy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Incessant Excess posted:

Iirc he called himself Big Sexy the Giant Killer when feud8ng with the Giant and then kept getting people to call him that

Copious amounts of backstage pull

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The real question is how he kept getting the announcers to call him the Sexecutioner

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

Iirc he called himself Big Sexy the Giant Killer when feud8ng with the Giant and then kept getting people to call him that

Copious amounts of backstage pull

similar to the way HHH gets announcers to call him any of his dorky-rear end nicknames, basically

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jason Sextro posted:

similar to the way HHH gets announcers to call him any of his dorky-rear end nicknames, basically

Except

Max Coveri posted:

Kevin Nash is big and sexy.

Is actually the drat truth

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think what really hindered Goldberg’s first WWE run was he clearly wanted just one year and had no interest in staying. This was before WWE started the whole “part timer” thing so if you were on the roster you were one of the boys on the road. They got a few big money matches out but then he just became another victim of Triple H’s reign of terror until he inevitably went out the door. It’s hard to get into a guy you know won’t stay and even more so when he gets fed to someone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

I think what really hindered Goldberg’s first WWE run was he clearly wanted just one year and had no interest in staying. This was before WWE started the whole “part timer” thing so if you were on the roster you were one of the boys on the road. They got a few big money matches out but then he just became another victim of Triple H’s reign of terror until he inevitably went out the door. It’s hard to get into a guy you know won’t stay and even more so when he gets fed to someone.

It wasn't clear he wanted just one year. Goldberg signed a deal for a certain amount of dates and WWE immediately tried to pressure him to change the deal and poisoned the locker room against him. There was no way he was going to stay after that.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Except

Is actually the drat truth

Well, I can't argue that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It wasn't clear he wanted just one year. Goldberg signed a deal for a certain amount of dates and WWE immediately tried to pressure him to change the deal and poisoned the locker room against him. There was no way he was going to stay after that.

I sense a correlation between this and the Brock deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Picking and losing a fight with Jericho probably didn't help.

Although it did result Jericho describing Nash in his book as a "praying mantis" watching the whole thing unfold....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Although it did result Jericho describing Nash in his book as a "praying mantis" watching the whole thing unfold....

Nash learned his lesson well, which is why he walked away when John Wick asked him to.

Smart man, that Nash.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Incessant Excess posted:

The nWo used to show these filmed, black & white promos, and in one of them, Nash straight out said, "call me Big Sexy".

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At the height of CZW's rise there was the tag team of Nick Berk and Z-Barr, the "Softcore Connection" who got over huge as heels because they would throw all the weapons out of the ring and refuse to engage in "garbage wrestling". they both sucked in the ring iirc so this was very funny.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The question I have is more: Is this a fun thread idea? more than anything.

Basically, armchair book an idea from any time, any fed that anyone in the thread suggests.

So like, not just the normal boring REBOOK INVASION! things, instead maybe: Book Goldust to win the Heavyweight Title in 1999 in a believable manner.

Just fun little What-If? absurd scenarios and try to make them work.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Was wondering who besides Naito managed to recover from completely bombing in their first main event push to end up being a top level guy in the same company? Nakamura and Shawn Micheals come to mind, but wondering if there are others. Guys like Kevin Nash don't count cause his peak drawing time was in WCW....

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Was wondering who besides Naito managed to recover from completely bombing in their first main event push to end up being a top level guy in the same company? Nakamura and Shawn Micheals come to mind, but wondering if there are others. Guys like Kevin Nash don't count cause his peak drawing time was in WCW....

After WrestleMania 4, WWE split up Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart and sent them into singles action. They didn't succeed, so they reformed The Hart Foundation

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

The question I have is more: Is this a fun thread idea? more than anything.

Basically, armchair book an idea from any time, any fed that anyone in the thread suggests.

So like, not just the normal boring REBOOK INVASION! things, instead maybe: Book Goldust to win the Heavyweight Title in 1999 in a believable manner.

Just fun little What-If? absurd scenarios and try to make them work.

I remember when I was a heavier poster in this subforum it was against the rules to do fantasy booking, but that may have changed. I would read the poo poo out of this thread though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

I remember when I was a heavier poster in this subforum it was against the rules to do fantasy booking, but that may have changed. I would read the poo poo out of this thread though.

That's because about 10 years ago, everyone had a tight 5 paragraphs about what the next two years of WWE should look like. Nobody cares that much now.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
who has/had the best spear?

Rhyno doesn't count, the gore is more of a truck than a spear

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaitlyn.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'd post the thread if a mod or whoever thinks it would be enough to deserve it's own thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Rush, the guy who Naito ripped off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'd post the thread if a mod or whoever thinks it would be enough to deserve it's own thread.

Go ahead, so long as it isn't fantasy booking current WWE it'll be fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Depending on how you count NXT, you could maybe count Almas. Dude was built up for weeks as if he was the new hot indie/international prospect and bombed on arrival from a combo of being uncomfortable with the style and presentation AND being booked opposite a cult favourite in Dillinger, and managed to bounce back to being booked as the top heel in the group, even if it's only for the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OatmealRaisin posted:

who has/had the best spear?