Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Supreme Allah posted:

No idea what game it was but I still remember 'THE ROCK ROCKS THE BODY THAT ROCKS THE PARTY'. They'd shout it every time you did a float-over DDT.

Sounds like Shane from WWF Attitude to me, at least in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"THE NEW DEFINITION OF RUBBERMAN!"

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
I can't remember when Hulk Hogan said it, sometime in WCW 1999/2000 I think, but when did he say on tv "This is a shoot, brother!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sexy_trash posted:

I can't remember when Hulk Hogan said it, sometime in WCW 1999/2000 I think, but when did he say on tv "This is a shoot, brother!"

To be fair, everyone was saying some variation of "This is a shoot!" in 99/00 WCW.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pope Corky the IX posted:

To be fair, everyone was saying some variation of "This is a shoot!" in 99/00 WCW.

It also ties into my most hated wrestling cliche: "This won't be a wrestling match, this'll be a fight!"

If I wanted to watch a fight, I would watch MMA.

Which cliches do you guys hate?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

It also ties into my most hated wrestling cliche: "This won't be a wrestling match, this'll be a fight!"

"I don't like you, but dammit I respect you"

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Not strictly wrestling-related, but does anyone else remember the first XFL press conference? I have vague memories of Vince McMahon hunched over a podium growling "Wherrre's my foootttballl?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The cliche I HATE is the "I am not in the Rumble/was already eliminated from the Rumble, but I am going to eliminate someone else".

loving lazy booking, that's all it is.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Writer Cath posted:

Any promo that talks about how "there comes a times in a man's life..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Writer Cath posted:

I loving hate it whenever a wrestler in a match is left in gobsmacked drooling stupidity by the appearance of a woman on the ring apron doing some kind of seductive dance or striptease. Get your loving priorities right, goddammit!

I haven't seen it for quite some time in WWE, probably thanks to the PG rating, but I remember seeing it pretty recently in ROH involving Maria or one of Truth's valets.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Writer Cath posted:

this lazy crap -

I will GIVE YOU your rematch!! [crowd cheers] .......But not tonight. [crowd boos]

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know a cliche is a cliche and an rear end whoopin' is an rear end whoopin'.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Writer Cath posted:

HHH winning.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Writer Cath posted:

My cliche like, per peeve, is the opposite. Two guys who absolutely HATE each other, we're talking foaming at the much hatred, have matches where they actually care about winning or losing.

"I HATE YOU SO MUCH I COULD KILL YOU!" *pins them* "There, I feel better now."

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
In an industry full of scumbags, how awesome is Bill Apter? I have never once seen him lose enthusiasm, become jaded, or even speak negatively about anyone he's ever come across.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Davros1 posted:

My cliche like, per peeve, is the opposite. Two guys who absolutely HATE each other, we're talking foaming at the much hatred, have matches where they actually care about winning or losing.

"I HATE YOU SO MUCH I COULD KILL YOU!" *pins them* "There, I feel better now."

I have one that annoys the hell out of me only after OSWReview pointed it out: Guys in a blood feud starting a match with a tie-up.

NO, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HATE EACH OTHER, PUNCH EACH OTHER'S FACES

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

The cliche I HATE is the "I am not in the Rumble/was already eliminated from the Rumble, but I am going to eliminate someone else".

loving lazy booking, that's all it is.

The few times I can remember this happening its mainly has been done pretty drat awesome. Like Kurt Angle flipping out and eliminating Shawn Michaels and putting him in an ankle lock on the steel steps.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

budreck posted:

In an industry full of scumbags, how awesome is Bill Apter? I have never once seen him lose enthusiasm, become jaded, or even speak negatively about anyone he's ever come across.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, Drew... it's Four Horsemen...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

[quote="Writer Cath" post=""424235036"]
[/quote]
The fact that even after over a century, people are still surprised when their hated rival interferes in their matches.

If there's a dude who wants to kick your rear end, and you aren't wrestling him, get your buddies to stand at the Gorilla position! If you don't have any buddies, keep an eye on the entrance ramp!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All women characters are petty 16 year old girls, regardless of how old they actually are.

I think Layla was already well into her 30s when she was doing the mean-girl gimmick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The few times I can remember this happening its mainly has been done pretty drat awesome. Like Kurt Angle flipping out and eliminating Shawn Michaels and putting him in an ankle lock on the steel steps.

Hogan at the '92 Rumble. Hearing the crowd boo the poo poo out of him as he acted like a petulant child was wonderful.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Writer Cath posted:

"Each and every one of you..."
"You people..."
When Triple H says "Here's the thing..." which is every time he talks.
Any time a commentator is blindly, illogically heel.
When Michael Cole quotes wrestlers, instead of us seeing or hearing for ourselves. Really robs whatever he says of any impact.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Happy Happyist posted:

"Each and every one of you..."
"You people..."
When Triple H says "Here's the thing..." which is every time he talks.
Any time a commentator is blindly, illogically heel.
When Michael Cole quotes wrestlers, instead of us seeing or hearing for ourselves. Really robs whatever he says of any impact.

Quite frankly,

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

You two hate each other, so now you're a tag team.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Happy Happyist posted:

"Bray Wyatt says..." [emotionless bland repeating of a really good Wyatt promo over his entrance]

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

oatgan.....

re: your avatar. Does Brock have the sloppiest forehead ever or am I crazy?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Writer Cath posted:

When a wrestler doesn't want the [Whatever] championship, because he's a heel and the current champion is also a heel. Yeah, Sandow, nice job waiting until Del Rio dropped the belt to Cena to cash in for the title.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Drove me crazy that you couldn't edit wrestler's movesets though. Angle started using the Ankle Lock, just let me give it to him!

pfft. you didnt remake the whole roster yourself? for shame.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Oh my hated enemy is ringside/on the ramp, gonna stand at the ropes and yell at him

whoops rolled up and pinned :downs:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I hate "Oh no, someone's entrance music is playing. I will completely forget that I am in the middle of a wrestling match and turn towards the entrance ramp in confusion. It's a good thing I don't have an opponent who would take advantage of my awesome stupidity and roll me up/hit his finisher on me." I swear to god WWE used this almost every RAW in 2012, sometimes twice in a loving show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sexy_trash posted:

He never did. It's like "You're not my father," and "sweep the leg, Johnny."

What he actually said was when he was inducting his newphew into the nWo and said something like,

"What's your name."

"Horace."

"C'mon, brother. Shoot with this thing."

"Horace... HOGAN!"

Which is hilarious, because neither of their names are Hogan. Surprisingly enough, this was in 1998 or early 99, LONG before Russo showed up with his own brand of worked shoot bullshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

He never did. It's like "You're not my father," and "sweep the leg, Johnny."

What he actually said was when he was inducting his newphew into the nWo and said something like,

"What's your name."

"Horace."

"C'mon, brother. Shoot with this thing."

"Horace... HOGAN!"

Which is hilarious, because neither of their names are Hogan. Surprisingly enough, this was in 1998 or early 99, LONG before Russo showed up with his own brand of worked shoot bullshit.

There is always Hogan's career low-point (I know, calling any one angle his definitive low-point is a tall order), the dark side Hogan community theater insanity. This was resolved with Hulk burning a copy of WON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjR6cgCv6Lg

"The Internet's got the scoops!"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Endorph posted:

The fact that even after over a century, people are still surprised when their hated rival interferes in their matches.

If there's a dude who wants to kick your rear end, and you aren't wrestling him, get your buddies to stand at the Gorilla position! If you don't have any buddies, keep an eye on the entrance ramp!

Tato posted:

I hate "Oh no, someone's entrance music is playing. I will completely forget that I am in the middle of a wrestling match and turn towards the entrance ramp in confusion. It's a good thing I don't have an opponent who would take advantage of my awesome stupidity and roll me up/hit his finisher on me." I swear to god WWE used this almost every RAW in 2012, sometimes twice in a loving show.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
Also, "let me climb up to the top of the cage and win the match kill myself." It's not so much of a thing nowadays, but still.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

There's one spot Orton has done a lot in the past year, and that's when he'll be outside with an opponent and get his back rammed into the apron. I swear, there was a point where that happened every single match.

As the inverse, what are your favorite little spots?

Personally, I love stuff like the Boo/Yay punch exchanges, the raising the arm three times to see if the guy passed out, and the old Guerrero "hit the mat with chair, toss to opponent, get him DQ'ed" spot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Daniel Bryan house-on-fire top-rope missile dropkick to kip-up is my favourite spot in all of pro wrestling right now.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Quasipox posted:

Personally, I love stuff like the Boo/Yay punch exchanges, the raising the arm three times to see if the guy passed out, and the old Guerrero "hit the mat with chair, toss to opponent, get him DQ'ed" spot.

Bridging out of pins.

Also I was looking through this thread and somebody said Rick Rude was a bad worker circa WM 4 a few pages back. That person was wrong. Rude could have great matches with the Steamboats of the world, but he could also get hugely effective matches out of limited guys like Warrior or Sting.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Quasipox posted:

Heel stands in corner, face climbs turnbuckle and punches him in the face while the audience counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Roman Reign's mat-pound to Superman punch is pretty awesome these days. :mmmhmm:

RoleModel posted:

Also, "let me climb up to the top of the cage and win the match kill myself." It's not so much of a thing nowadays, but still.

Ahh, the good ol' Jeff Hardy Is A loving Moron spot.

I associated that so much with Jeff that one time when I think Evan Bourne did it in MITB it was really weird and out of character.