Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks for the Punk explanations. That makes sense and fits what I'd guessed from the handful of matches/promos/interviews I saw.

What about AJ Lee? What's the story on her? I just watched a couple of her matches, and I'm not sure I'd give her the same assessment as Punk. She's OK on the mic and seems solid in the ring, but I don't know if that's just because her career was dead center in a rough era for women's wrestling. I don't know if she would stand out as much on the current roster, although she seems like she would be a much more engaging heel than Charlotte.

I will say that her entrance music is so goddamn catchy that it's been stuck in my head for more than an hour, and that there's something to be said for her high energy compared to, say, the Bellas.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, don't use How2Wrestling to fill in knowledge gaps without a companion piece (i.e. Wikipedia) because Kefin actually doesn't know much and poo poo goes off the rails pretty hard sometimes.

Aesop Poprock posted:

This really can't be said enough. He literally just speculates or makes poo poo up all the time, and never even bothers to fact check. The whole show is a semi-educated wrestling fan basically making up fan fiction from things he half remembers for someone who's new to wrestling.

Well, poo poo, that sucks. In his defense, it's been very entertaining fan fiction and his enthusiasm/storytelling is most of the reason I got back into wrestling. That said, now I'm wondering what kind of misinformation I've picked up from listening to the show. Any specific examples come to mind of "Kefin just flat-out lied or misrepresented this really important thing" so I can start clearing those up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Some say AJ Lee started the Divas' Revolution! :v:

Seriously though, AJ was a rare bright spot in the dismal Divas division from 2011 through her retirement. She was never all that great in-ring and was pretty bad on the mic but was leaps and bounds better than the likes of Kelly Kelly and genuinely seemed to enjoy wrestling and worked hard to get better.

She was great as Daniel Bryan's abused submissive girlfriend, and her involvement in the Punk/Bryan feud was pretty fun and helped her grow as a character. Her run as GM made no sense and was pretty awful (as she was not that great a promo and was hampered with bad storylines), but thankfully they dropped that and teamed her with Ziggler/Big E in a team that ended way too soon. Her run with the belt was pretty great and helped reinvigorate interest in the Divas division (albeit most of that interest was really due to the NXT gals). The last leg of her run (Paige "frenemies" feud, losing the belt to the Bellas) seemed hampered behind the scenes by her relationship with Punk, and by the end she seemed to be pretty burned out by it all.

It's a shame that she didn't stick around long enough to be part of the current Women's division (same goes for Beth Phoenix), but she was a nice glimmer of hope for decent quality matches in a sea of garbage.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

surf rock posted:

Well, poo poo, that sucks. In his defense, it's been very entertaining fan fiction and his enthusiasm/storytelling is most of the reason I got back into wrestling. That said, now I'm wondering what kind of misinformation I've picked up from listening to the show. Any specific examples come to mind of "Kefin just flat-out lied or misrepresented this really important thing" so I can start clearing those up?

Kefin didn't mention the charges leveled against Stone Cold of spousal abuse, alcoholism and battery. That is a pretty damning thing to just leave off, considering he went into great detail in the Hogan episode about all of Hogan's problems. I ain't gonna criticize the guy for it, but it is one of his biggest lies by omission. It'd be like doing a How 2 Jimmy Snuka and not mentioning he may have murdered someone, or a How 2 Flair not mentioning how awful he has been to women.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dias posted:

The Miz. :colbert:
The Donald.

natetimm posted:

Their graduate list is less than impressive and includes David Flair. There are a few OK guys on there, but realistically for the time and money they were spending they weren't getting a good result. If you pressed me, I would probably pick Kanyon as their best home-grown star. Goldberg was obviously the most successful, but a lot of that was booking and look.
I believe David Flair was sent into the ring with literally a month of training, which doesn't necessarily reflect on the gym or on David.

At the other end of the spectrum, I don't know how they produced Lash Leroux.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Her run as GM made no sense and was pretty awful (as she was not that great a promo and was hampered with bad storylines), but thankfully they dropped that and teamed her with Ziggler/Big E in a team that ended way too soon.
I can't think of anything about the Ziggler/AJ/Big E team that wasn't handled terribly.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 11, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aj was the best woman on the mic since trish

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
AJ Lee was so tiny that her strikes and bumps seemed completely harmless. She was cool though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

AJ Lee wanted to be a wrestler since she was a little girl and cried when she got her own action figure and WWE managed to get her to hate wrestling within five years or so of employment.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

UpfrontSalmon posted:

AJ Lee was so tiny that her strikes and bumps seemed completely harmless. She was cool though.

This also made her incredible at selling. I'm still not sure if Kaitlyn actually had a good spear or if AJ was just a pro at making it look like death

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you're bringing in Moolah then it's not far from her to the various "wrestling schools" that were just "we take your money and then beat you up until you don't want to wrestle anymore."

I think the better question would be what *good* wrestling schools have there been.

Dory Jr's school is pretty well respected

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Dory Jr's school is pretty well respected

Yeah, the Funkin Conservatory was good. Iirc, that's what it was called. The Monster Factory was apparently okay, but turned to poo poo toward the end. Lance storm's school, the CHIKARA school, the ROH school... These may not have turned out dozens of future WWE champs, but were all well regarded.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aj went on commentary and capably defended herself against jbl (probably vince) when he tried to bully her about caring about wrestling and she torched jerry lawler in the same segment and basically she made every act she was associated with more interesting and over so yeah the wwe didn't deserve her but its too bad she doesnt/cant wrestle now

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why am I remembering a podcast where a bunch of wrestlers were discussing who has the fuzziest rear end in a top hat?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

rotinaj posted:

I ain't gonna criticize the guy for it, but it is one of his biggest lies by omission. It'd be like doing a How 2 Jimmy Snuka and not mentioning he may have murdered someone, or a How 2 Flair not mentioning how awful he has been to women.

Whoa drat. Any links/explanations behind these two?

(Also, I like this thread, answering all my dumb-dumb questions and teaching me new things)

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
AJ was also the one who tweeted to Steph about the hypocrisy of Steph retweeting women's rights stuff when the company for which she is a leader pays their women a fraction of what they pay their men.

Are there any wrestling history podcasts where the hosts are knowledgeable about wrestling and also have their heads on straight? It really sucks to hear that Kefin knows little about wrestling history and doesn't bring up the bad poo poo that people he likes does, but the primary alternative is OSW "NICOLE BASS, WHO WOULD MOLEST HER??" Review.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah aj was cool. it's too bad she couldnt stick around just to be a thorn in management's side. would have been cool to see her work the new class of women

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Electric Lady posted:

AJ was also the one who tweeted to Steph about the hypocrisy of Steph retweeting women's rights stuff when the company for which she is a leader pays their women a fraction of what they pay their men.

Are there any wrestling history podcasts where the hosts are knowledgeable about wrestling and also have their heads on straight? It really sucks to hear that Kefin knows little about wrestling history and doesn't bring up the bad poo poo that people he likes does, but the primary alternative is OSW "NICOLE BASS, WHO WOULD MOLEST HER??" Review.

Dragon King Karl

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

spermgod likes some 4 hour podcast where they talk about old poo poo that isnt easily ascertainable from wikipedia i think

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

oldpainless posted:

AJ Lee wanted to be a wrestler since she was a little girl and cried when she got her own action figure and WWE managed to get her to hate wrestling within five years or so of employment.

I haven't heard any of AJ's grievances against WWE. I just thought she found a new life-long dream of being someones wife.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The New Generation Podcast is pretty good, obviously mostly covering the areas in between OSW and the AE Podcast.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Corzaa posted:

I haven't heard any of AJ's grievances against WWE. I just thought she found a new life-long dream of being someones wife.

Wrong spectacle. You're thinking of Ronda Rousey.

Kidding aside, AJ definitely had her grievances but she is not a loudmouth like Punk so it seems she didn't tend to air them. The only instance I can even think of is the aforementioned tweets, but I do not follow wrestlers much so I can't say more than that. That AJ left the company shortly after Punk did seems to say something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Electric Lady posted:

Karl Stern's show on F4W is excellent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

What was the general reaction to Mark Henry winning the WHC from Randy Orton? How was the Hall of Pain overall received by people

Mark Henry has always been massively overrated on this board.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

9 out of 10 Mark Henry matches are dogshit

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

spermgod likes some 4 hour podcast where they talk about old poo poo that isnt easily ascertainable from wikipedia i think

Between the sheets is good for huge amounts of history with only the occasional awful joke.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Which Reigns/Big Show match is it where Big Show falls and hits his junk on the ropes and cries out in absolute pain

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Which Reigns/Big Show match is it where Big Show falls and hits his junk on the ropes and cries out in absolute pain

Extreme Rules last year, I believe

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

aj went on commentary and capably defended herself against jbl (probably vince) when he tried to bully her about caring about wrestling and she torched jerry lawler in the same segment

That was great. "I'm 26, Jerry. Aren't I a little old for you?"

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

rotinaj posted:

Kefin didn't mention the charges leveled against Stone Cold of spousal abuse, alcoholism and battery. That is a pretty damning thing to just leave off, considering he went into great detail in the Hogan episode about all of Hogan's problems. I ain't gonna criticize the guy for it, but it is one of his biggest lies by omission. It'd be like doing a How 2 Jimmy Snuka and not mentioning he may have murdered someone, or a How 2 Flair not mentioning how awful he has been to women.

is this really all? Like he certainly should have included that considering his partner, and since they went over stuff like Angle's addiction problems, Lesnar's homophobia, plus that awful Trish Stratus segment (that appeared to give Jo a panic attack). However it seems a bit much to call into question everything else he's said just because he didn't bring up that SCSA beat Debra, unless there is more (which there could be, I'm just speaking anecdotally).

I'm not going to say I can easily remember everything that happened 20 years ago without double checking, but I can't say I've noticed anything glaring about what he's said on either of his podcasts- especially since he was watching not only every PPV for the Attitude Era Podcast, but the in between Raws as well. Not to mention the Hogan episode came out specifically because that whole thing just was released and they were more or less striking while the iron was hot because of it.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 11, 2016

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mark Henry has always been massively overrated on this board.

One of my favorite thread titles ever was for Wrestlemania 22: "Showcase of the Immortals and Mark Henry."

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Electric Lady posted:

Kidding aside, AJ definitely had her grievances but she is not a loudmouth like Punk so it seems she didn't tend to air them. The only instance I can even think of is the aforementioned tweets, but I do not follow wrestlers much so I can't say more than that. That AJ left the company shortly after Punk did seems to say something.

Even if she didn't have any outstanding grievances against the company (which she seemed to have), it was the only smart option. She would've been buried to hell and back for being CM Punks wife, knowing the McMahons desire for revenge.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

linesI dunno how many famous people have come out of there though. Emma is one that I know of.

Tyler Breeze, Viktor some other Australian gals

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Where did the Yard Tards youtube thread go/get renamed to?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Ostentatious posted:

What was the general reaction to Mark Henry winning the WHC from Randy Orton? How was the Hall of Pain overall received by people

I hated Mark Henry for years. That summer, Mark Henry was my favorite wrestler. If you saw me on the street, you would not look at me cross, cuz you know I would break yo face!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Everblight posted:

Where did the Yard Tards youtube thread go/get renamed to?

I thought it slipped into archives but it's still alive here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658878

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My ability to dislike Mark Henry as a wrestler is mitigated by the fact that his fake :qq: retirement that ended with him killing John Cena was a delight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, how can anyone hate Mark Henry during the Hall of Pain run? He was awesome just for throwing that tech guy into a black hole. And being the only thing in WWE that would momentarily stop the madness of Heel Michael Cole.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hmm well, he sucks at wrestling, gets routinely injured because he's fat and old, and for years I had to endure "Mark Henry, GOAT big man" praise from people who have apparently never seen a good big man. He was not even the best big man on the programming during any part of his run, and he certainly is not good.

Mark Henry is a really cool person IRL, so that's cool, and if his run had consistently been as good as his fake retirement, then we could talk.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FunMerrania posted:

e: on a serious note, is there a wrestling school known for being the absolute worse?

I'm completely shocked that it's been two pages and I'm the first person to mention Warrior University.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I remember there being a number of very religious/born again Christians in wrestling eras past. Is that still the case now or has it died down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm pretty sure Warrior University didn't teach wrestling, just destrucity studies.