Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

MassRafTer, do you have any knowledge as to whether wwe or any other organization has ever used foley workers or insert sounds when it comes to people hitting or slamming each other. I’m not talking about crowd sounds, just stuff like strikes and kicks. I have a friend who is claiming the audio isn’t 100% original when it comes to hits and punches and it’s repeated for multiple strikes

I think your friend took the Cheap Seats skit with H. Jon Benjamin seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

MassRafTer, do you have any knowledge as to whether wwe or any other organization has ever used foley workers or insert sounds when it comes to people hitting or slamming each other. I’m not talking about crowd sounds, just stuff like strikes and kicks. I have a friend who is claiming the audio isn’t 100% original when it comes to hits and punches and it’s repeated for multiple strikes

Your friend is dumb. The ring is set up for the workers to create their own sound effects, which they learn among other basics in school after the trainer is satisfied that they've taken a few thousand back bumps in a row. Doing a foot stamp with every strike you do or slapping your thigh when kicking someone in the face is wrestling 101.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Yeah if you go to a live show of any description, the rings are loud as hell. That's one reason why people use chops and stuff too, makes a much bigger noise than a punch.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, get your dumb friend like a third row ticket and it should cure him of his stupidity. Or at least that particular bit of it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lucha Underground is the o my company with the means or desire to really do that and they do. The training rooms at the Temple are very efficient because everyone has learned to throw kicks and chops that land in identically sounding ways.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like I've seen some dumb short lived company add foley but nothing springs to mind. WSX must've for certain things but I haven't watched it in a few years so I don't remember.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Lucha Underground is the o my company with the means or desire to really do that and they do. The training rooms at the Temple are very efficient because everyone has learned to throw kicks and chops that land in identically sounding ways.

Haha yeah LU does a lot of post production sound editing. Although Pentagon's chops don't need any sweetening, they sound like a gunshot

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, LU is the only company I can think of who's regularly sweetening the audio in post production. I guess impact might of done it at some time but they seem too incompetent to do that. A live show? No way they're doing additional foley work.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
While the ring is indeed loud, I believe they also mic it to amplify the noise a bit.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pro click

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I like how everyone who gets thrown into the post makes the exact same "thunk" noise even when their head misses it by 6 inches

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Does the Mountie's shock stick count?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Davros1 posted:

Even before that. The Midnight Express was a three man squad, ala The Fabulous Freebirds, with Dennis Condrey, Randy Rose, and Norvell Austin. Then it became Condrey and Eaton, then Eaton and Lane, and then Condrey and Rose reunited in the AWA, bringing Paul Heyman into the spotlight.

Freebirds might be a consideration as well, with Jimmy Garvin becoming an "official member" in WCW after being an "unofficial Freebird" in WCCW.

The Sheepherders went through a few incarnations, with Butch and Luke at first, then Butch briefly returned to NZ leaving Luke to team with other members until Butch decided to come back.

The Fabulous Kangaroos had a few changes as well, first with Al Costello and Roy Heffernan, then Costello with Don Kent.

And then adding to this, The Andersons, with Gene and Lars, then bringing in new members like Ole and Arn.

The Four Horsemen obviously too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has Okada ever done a straightjacket suplex into a bridging pin, then when the opponent kicks out, held on and transitioned into a Rainmaker? That seems so obvious I imagine he has to have done it at least once.

I know Ibushi once kept the wrists held after a suplex and transitioned it into a Kamigoye.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

Your friend is dumb. The ring is set up for the workers to create their own sound effects, which they learn among other basics in school after the trainer is satisfied that they've taken a few thousand back bumps in a row. Doing a foot stamp with every strike you do or slapping your thigh when kicking someone in the face is wrestling 101.

Yeah I explained that to him and told him I’ve been to a bunch of live shows and he was still claiming they pumped in foley at every live event and that’s what I was hearing because he used to be a sound guy for other types of live shows. To his credit he accepted the responses here though even though he’s a stubborn rear end

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
The last couple wwe shows I've been to in person, one a tv and one a house show i think, the ring mics were turned up loud enough that it was actively annoying and distracting for the first match or so until i got used to it. But yeah, there's no way they do live Foley work for wrestling. Why would they when wrestlers are dumb and self destructive enough to just be their own effects?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I explained that to him and told him I’ve been to a bunch of live shows and he was still claiming they pumped in foley at every live event and that’s what I was hearing because he used to be a sound guy for other types of live shows. To his credit he accepted the responses here though even though he’s a stubborn rear end

Take your friend to a wrestling school seminar to do back bumps for a few hours and he'll get smartened up real quick

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hogan may have slammed Andre but I'm the guy who made you hear it. Dropped a log full of old tire irons and steel wool on a section of The Tomb of the Unknown Solider I had brought in for the occasion.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

On that note, what about TNA's electrified cage? It went BZZBZZBZZ BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Recently read a story about an electrified cage match WCW did at a Halloween Havoc. One of the Halloween props caught fire, but thanks to some quick thinking from The Great Muta, tragedy was avoided when he quickly extinguished it using his poisoned mist.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Can someone think of a basic (less than 10 minutes) John Cena match that I can show someone as an example of basic match structure (shine/heat/comeback/finish)? I'm teaching a class and I need to show the basics before we dissect the complexities of good/long matches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cena vs. Cesaro maybe?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Can someone think of a basic (less than 10 minutes) John Cena match that I can show someone as an example of basic match structure (shine/heat/comeback/finish)? I'm teaching a class and I need to show the basics before we dissect the complexities of good/long matches.

Any Hogan match from the 80s. Hogan/Savage from Mania V?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Davros1 posted:

Recently read a story about an electrified cage match WCW did at a Halloween Havoc. One of the Halloween props caught fire, but thanks to some quick thinking from The Great Muta, tragedy was avoided when he quickly extinguished it using his poisoned mist.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3bmbv0

Skip to about 5 minutes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I have no suggestions, I'm just curious as to why it has to be a John Cena match, is the course you are teaching basic thuganomics?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Whats the best Samoa Joe match? I have a lot of strong opinions about this and wanna see what other people have to say.

It's Joe/Necro from IWA MS btw

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

fatal five way

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joe kobashi

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im also very partial to joe daniels from...glory by honor 2? it was the last show at The Murph

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched Joe vs Punk 2 like 30 Times probably

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Ha wow, I forgot about that one. Around the same time they were also dubbing in this really overdone choking noise, usually in Undertaker matches.

Just a few years ago they would overdub "ding!" noises whenever the ring bell was used in a match. I feel like it stuck out even more than the early '90s stuff, since obviously they could only do it on taped shows and there's much more live stuff now.

e: And of course there's the infamous Smackdown Pop or "hair dryer pop" that was a thing until Smackdown went full-time Live.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 24, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I watched Joe vs Punk 2 like 30 Times probably

I should probably add to this that for a long time I thought low ki vs Bryan Danielson was the best match of all time and I haven’t watched either since the mid 2000s

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 24, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also early ring of honor had cool stuff going on but could still be cringe as hell. What the gently caress was up with the Christopher Street connection and Xavier as champion?

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many famous and successful tag teams were "remade" or replaced with other people that also went on to become successful? I remember Cornette's New Midnight Express, and the Legion of Doom but it's Droz instead. Neither of which would be considered successful though.

Maybe not exactly what you're asking since they weren't successful with the original members, but the first incarnation of Demolition was Bill Eadie as Ax and Moondog Rex as Smash. Barry Darsow was brought in to take the part of Smash because the crowds recognized Rex.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Joe's had so many outstanding matches.

Joe/Punk Trilogy
Joe/Kobashi (ROH)
Joe/Necro Butcher (IWA?)
Joe/Bryan Danielson (PWG)
Joe/Christopher Daniels/AJ Styles (TNA)

He was just one of those guys who could mesh with any style and still make both him and his opponent look good. It's a shame his mystique is gone in WWE but his aggressive promos still make me want to watch every single one of his matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RealFoxy posted:

Joe/Kobashi (ROH)

God this match is so loving good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

mystique is gone in WWE
okay being fair here tna did way more to kill that than wwe and he still has an aura of danger about him on the main roster

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Joe's had so many outstanding matches.

Joe/Punk Trilogy
Joe/Kobashi (ROH)
Joe/Necro Butcher (IWA?)
Joe/Bryan Danielson (PWG)
Joe/Christopher Daniels/AJ Styles (TNA)

He was just one of those guys who could mesh with any style and still make both him and his opponent look good. It's a shame his mystique is gone in WWE but his aggressive promos still make me want to watch every single one of his matches.

They are fixing joe on smackdown. he's just been fighting everyone. not face. not heel. just joe.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Just Samoa Joe?