Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Mania 30 should have been the series finale of WWE
Every Wrestlemania ending in 0 closed out with a popular workhorse finally getting the recognition they deserve. Mania 30 had Daniel Bryan as you mentioned, 10 had Bret Hart surrounded by the babyface roster, and 20 of course had Eddie Guerrero and no-one else spoiling the visual :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I still hold out the multiples of ten Mania's are a weird portal into another dimension where WWE is booked very differently. We get a glimpse at what seems like some strange exciting new direction for the company, and then reality rushes in and takes it all away, every single time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mania 30 directly leading into another godawful kane feud was definitely the point at which i realized oh there is absolutely no chance it will ever be that good again there is no reason whatsoever to invest 200 hours a year on this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Was Bryan already having neck issues by the time the Kane feud rolled around?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Was Bryan already having neck issues by the time the Kane feud rolled around?

yeah, but even stills there really wasnt a good feud for Bryan at that point, as he beat the top heel and Bray was feuding with Cena, and Punk was gone

plus they were clearly gunning for Shield/Evolution for a couple of cycles while Dave was still around, and I cant really fault them for that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I cant remember too many more of the specifics other than Bryan was going to do the Kane feud and then wrestle Brock (and lose) at Summerslam

Not sure if they would have done Bryan/Batista at MITB or Battleground once the Shield/Evolution angle wrapped, or went back to it if Batista ever came back again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

yeah, but even stills there really wasnt a good feud for Bryan at that point, as he beat the top heel and Bray was feuding with Cena, and Punk was gone

plus they were clearly gunning for Shield/Evolution for a couple of cycles while Dave was still around, and I cant really fault them for that.

Regardless, instead of a placeholder feud where he proved he was a fighting champion by beating some elevated mid card guy for a month, instead they put him into the Vince McMahon fetish feud where the little guy champion and his friends and loved ones get victimized by a much bigger guy until no one takes them seriously anymore.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

He could've feuded with Cesaro, who won the first ARMBAR and got Heyman as his manager. Instead, Cesaro did his swing to midcarders while Heyman talked about Lesnar.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

As for dropping the ball post-Mania 20, C***s B****t feuded with Trips for a little while longer, which was pretty good, before feuding with Kane, which was also pretty good (surprisingly), but then got sacrificed at the altar of the WWE mistakingly trying to make young Orton a babyface.

On the other side, Eddie lost the WWE Championship to friggin JBL, who retained it forever. I think he still might have it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cactus Bjackt?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Cactus Bjackt?

Cocks Bullshit

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Cocks Bullshit

That's actually how I read it several times.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Kane feud was basically WWE saying “well we have to give you the belt to keep them from hijacking the show, but we don’t have to make you the top of the card.”

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

D.N. Nation posted:

As for dropping the ball post-Mania 20, C***s B****t feuded with Trips for a little while longer, which was pretty good, before feuding with Kane, which was also pretty good (surprisingly), but then got sacrificed at the altar of the WWE mistakingly trying to make young Orton a babyface.

On the other side, Eddie lost the WWE Championship to friggin JBL, who retained it forever. I think he still might have it.

Wasn't there something about Eddie getting really stressed out about how he was drawing as champion?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

VJeff posted:

Wasn't there something about Eddie getting really stressed out about how he was drawing as champion?

I also remember reading that one of the reasons they put the belt on Orton so quickly is that Vince was pissed about Lesnar leaving and wanted to set a new "Youngest WWE Champion" record to spite him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D.N. Nation posted:

It was probably about time Benoit lost the title, but gently caress, there had to be somebody better than Orton

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

It was probably about time Benoit lost the title, but gently caress, there had to be somebody better than Orton

This is how I feel every time Orton gets the belt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's your favorite random interjection from a crowd member during a quite moment in a match or promo?

There's so many good ones, but my favorite might be dude screaming "KILL YOURSELF!" at Beefcake when he returned and was rambling on about getting divorced.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Randaconda posted:

What's your favorite random interjection from a crowd member during a quite moment in a match or promo?

There's so many good ones, but my favorite might be dude screaming "KILL YOURSELF!" at Beefcake when he returned and was rambling on about getting divorced.

"Go back to Toronto!" is the gold standard.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

"Go back to Toronto!" is the gold standard.

I thought that was "I HATE YOU BATISTA"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Randaconda posted:

It's a Kane vs Vader match and they spill to the outside and someone yells at Vader "HIT EM WITH YER FAT rear end". Its great

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Gleeful Sheamus fan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Gleeful Sheamus fan.

Jamie Noble really was a bum.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"My grandmother's a better wrestler than you!"

I forget who this was directed at but still a classic.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn’t there a Big Show match during ECWWE where the crowd was chanting “You can’t wrestle!” and Wight responded with “I don’t have to!”?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
The guy yelling, "This is stupid" during the Morton Downey segment.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

I have no interest in Brutus Beefcake whatsoever as a wrestler but after reading about how insanely and gruesomely hosed up he was after that parasailing accident I kind of feel bad for all the other poo poo that got piled on him/how the crowd reacted to him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Maxwell Lord posted:

"My grandmother's a better wrestler than you!"
Ted DiBiase Jr. was in the crowd?!?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have no interest in Brutus Beefcake whatsoever as a wrestler but after reading about how insanely and gruesomely hosed up he was after that parasailing accident I kind of feel bad for all the other poo poo that got piled on him/how the crowd reacted to him

Yeah, it's actually pretty surprising he lived, because that was a brutal accident.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My favourite was a house show in Scotland where someone managed to shout "BATISTA SUCKS DONKEY DICK" so perfectly loud and clear that Batista heard and spent a good minute staring down the guy who shouted it, who blamed his friend sat next to him.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Said before but it can never be reiterated enough: Batista was too good for us

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Eh, Batista as a regular main-eventer wasn't all that exciting.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Batista heel turn on was great. Before then he was bland as gently caress.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Because of the random rudeness and it being more of a novelty from a US audience, I have to go with the ultra-redneck shout of "YOU loving oval office" directed at Kidman when he botched an SSP in WCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9CLs5YTt0

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if HBK told Lou Thesz, assuming they were both in their primes, he would never lay down for him?

follow up question: how long would it take for HBK to be able to walk again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I remember an excerpt from Hooker where he said that one of his mentors, refusing to lose to a hot young talent, broke the kid's arm so badly that it was amputated. I don't think Thesz was ever so bloodthirsty, even when he had to shoot on people.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Randaconda posted:

There was a Chikara match between the Olsen Twins (comedy heels) and Miyawaki and Yago (stiff Japanese dudes who were like twice their size). With the Olsens quietly waiting in the ring before the Japanese team's intro started up, you could hear one guy in the crowd matter-of-factly tell them, "You guys... might die."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

what if HBK told Lou Thesz, assuming they were both in their primes, he would never lay down for him?

follow up question: how long would it take for HBK to be able to walk again

When Thesz worked with people he thought weren't worthy or whatever, he didn't injure them so much as he humiliated them. Did it to a few people in the Southwest territories according to Terry Funk, who worked with Thesz, as did his brother and father.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

There was a Chikara match between the Olsen Twins (comedy heels) and Miyawaki and Yago (stiff Japanese dudes who were like twice their size). With the Olsens quietly waiting in the ring before the Japanese team's intro started up, you could hear one guy in the crowd matter-of-factly tell them, "You guys... might die."

Is Yago the one who would just mercilessly punch people as hard as he could in the chest because I think I remember seeing him live in the late 2000s and the crowd always did this "oh gently caress" reaction out of pity for the guy he was facing when he would come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Related to how long they've been in the WWF, who has had the longest career with fewest turns? If my thinking is right, Undertakier is up there. Debut as a heel, turned with Jake, turned heel against Austin in 98/99 with the Ministry, returned as American bad-rear end, heeled up as Big Evil, then turned babyface with Jeff Hardy. Am I missing anything?

While on him, reading his wiki they say he has seven title runs. I can only recall six: 91 vs Hogan, Mania 13 vs Sid, brief run while feuding with Austin, won the undisputed title against Hulk again, beat Batista at Mania 23, then Edge at Mania 24 and took it from Punk at Hell in a Cell. What am I missing?