Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm a big fan of the more simple masks. Sicodelico, Matematico and Rayo de Jalisco all have great A+ masks. Closest thing now is Templario

TriffTshngo posted:

I really don't know the first thing about his work and am not the most familiar with a lot of masked wrestlers in general but I really really like Hayabusa's.

Hayabusa is one of the greatest wrestlers ever who got continually buried by his promotion. That said, his mask doesn't work without the makeup underneath

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
if you don't already have a la park mask why do you even have masks.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

AkumaHokoru posted:

if you don't already have a la park mask why do you even have masks.

I'm waiting on a black and silver one to show up, but it's on the list.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

uh he is a college educated, intelligent man

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Honky Tonk Man ever have a good match?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Honky Tonk Man ever have a good match?

As Honky? Honestly, his squash loss to The Ultimate Warrior was probably his most satisfying match.

As Wayne Ferris, the Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl he had teaming with Larry Latham (Moondog Spot!) against Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee was probably his best match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

some incarnations are better than others, like the original Sayama mask, but overall the Tiger Mask is the best mask in wrestling

I want more masked characters like that outside lucha and puro markets

Ibushi's had that weird plushie feel that was supposed to make it look more anime I think, but just made it look weirdly childish compared to everything else.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
If I want to see the real rise and the best of Dr Death Steve Williams, where should I start?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Nystral posted:

I’ve always been a Jake the Snake mark and I caught him while channel surfing one day I n an upper tier Indy promotion during the 90s where there was a backstage action shot of Jake DDTing a person dressed as a ninja. Only it was the wrong ninja and the announcer was like “Jake just DDT’d his own ninja!” Then cut to commercial and I moved on.

I never saw the promotion again and I have no further context other then it was between his WWF stints. Does anyone have any more context on why Jake had his own ninja and why he would be DDTing some other ninja?
It was Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Tim Horner was working under a mask as "Kendo the Samurai," Jake's flunky. There's one episode where, IIRC, after Tony Anthony had brought out his own fake Kendo once or twice, he tricked Jake into DDTing the real one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what was up with Jim Cornette and dressing up referees in goofy masked costumes

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
What are your favorite commentary mistakes/flubs and interactions between wrestlers and commentators

I always get a kick out of Triple H's bi bit. Jr reactions is perfect.

Jim Ross and Triole H posted:

JR: Didn't know you were bilingual. 
Triple H: I'm bi a lot of things, but lingual isn't one of them. Wait, did i mean to say that?
JR: Probably not, but we're live.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gaz-L posted:

Ibushi's had that weird plushie feel that was supposed to make it look more anime I think, but just made it look weirdly childish compared to everything else.

ibushi was technically playing a different character right, tiger mask w or something? i think it was for a remake a couple years back.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

What are your favorite commentary mistakes/flubs and interactions between wrestlers and commentators

I was a big fan of JBL saying “I’d like to see you try this at home!” after some impressive move or sequence, followed by Cole solemnly reminding everyone they should NEVER try this at home

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TheCool69 posted:

Does Booker T's "Lookin Real Jacked Baby" brain glitch count on the preshow or whatever that was?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always remember one night Vince was in a match and came to the ring all jacked up, and JR was ranting about what an rear end in a top hat Vince (a heel at the time) was and then out of nowhere says something like,"I don't care if he does only have 4% body fat!" or something like that.

It was clearly either a line Vince gave him to say or him kissing rear end, but the King's response was amazing. Just this laughing, disbelieving,"......what? :wtc:" because he can't believe what JR just said.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TheCool69 posted:

https://streamable.com/ltyu4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Uso’s quiet “...what?” is amazing

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The big dog eats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySS9xXEPD2g

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve always loved JR’s call during the TLC match at WrestleMania X7

“Lita is jerking Edge off!

...that ladder!”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I adored that time Heel Michael Cole was on commentary burying someone, Mark Henry on commentary replies with something like "What sense did that even make? How was that relevant? If you don't have anything intelligent to say kindly shut up, Michael Cole." Cole mumbles "Yes sir"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cole getting intimidated is always good because you know he was just saying whatever Vince told him to like a toady.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

I adored that time Heel Michael Cole was on commentary burying someone, Mark Henry on commentary replies with something like "What sense did that even make? How was that relevant? If you don't have anything intelligent to say kindly shut up, Michael Cole." Cole mumbles "Yes sir"
Mark Henry would be a really good commentator imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Cole said something dumb about Daniel Bryan, and Henry went off on Cole.

Henry and Bryan were feuding at the time, for context. That should give an idea of the level of idiocy of what Cole said.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cole said something dumb about Daniel Bryan, and Henry went off on Cole.

Henry and Bryan were feuding at the time, for context. That should give an idea of the level of idiocy of what Cole said.
Henry, being not a total idiot, most likely realised that if your opponent is made out to be a total loser then you're a loser too for being at their level

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Henry, being not a total idiot, most likely realised that if your opponent is made out to be a total loser then you're a loser too for being at their level

Bingo. Mark's a guy I used to not enjoy at all but as he picked up more experience I began to enjoy him. I remember him turning face on Randy Orton on RAW and the crowd loving it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bingo. Mark's a guy I used to not enjoy at all but as he picked up more experience I began to enjoy him. I remember him turning face on Randy Orton on RAW and the crowd loving it.

God, him turning face was amazing. That little finger wave and Orton slumping down in the corner. :allears:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Hall of Pain Mark Henry was the loving best.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Someone post the gif of him throwing that tech guy into the netherworld.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TriffTshngo posted:

:emptyquote:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I felt bad for Brodus when I first heard he came up with the concept but 2 mitigating factors changed that; One, Mark is clearly better suited for it, and two, Brodus got a show on FOX News

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
His fake retirement was great as was the salmon jacket he rocked that night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mark Henry would've been the perfect territorial heel. Very limited but great at what he does well. In six month bursts he'd be great while at a guy on TV for 22 years he'd have nothing to do or be kind of bad when he's just a mid card guy. He's not good in mid card back and forth matches he's a loving big rear end dude.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still laugh about Coachman saying some dumb poo poo about how Ronda Rousey being in a bear hug is actually good because it gives her time to rest (both burying the move and not even getting the point of what a bear hug is supposed to do), and both Graves and Cole went off on how dumb he is and why does he even have a job or whatever.

Incidentally, I think that's the last PPV Coach called before getting demoted to the pre-show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

This one time Chuck Taylor was having a match with Arik Cannon while UltraMantis Black was on commentary. As UltraMantis was getting really into it, Chuck -- from the middle of the ring -- got his attention and told him to calm down. A bit frazzled and taken aback, UltraMantis continued his commentary and referred to him as "the voluptuous Chuck Taylor," which caused Chuck to turn around and laughingly go, "What?!"

Also, that time CM Punk was doing commentary on a no-commercial edition of Raw and was really into the display bucket of KFC in front of them.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
Two of my favorites:

King: Vince McMahon is the nicest and most honest boss I've ever worked for.
JR: (Incredulous} More honest than Jerry Jarrett?! How dare you!

Austin: You sassin' me boy?
Paul Heyman: (pleading) Please do not sass him JR!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

John, my diet soda. What are you doing?!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Who are the credible wrestling scoops havers? I am looking for an extensive list with noted specialties. Relatively quick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

John, my diet soda. What are you doing?!

Punk was really loving good on commentary. It wouldn't have lasted, but I'm glad we got what we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Mark Henry for GM. Give me the RAW of Pain by god.