Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Not like the character had anything to really gain in that moment, anyway, and it defused the crowd's adoration counter to his own narcissism, so it ain't a bad pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So who, if anyone, was The Amazon supposed to be in NES Pro Wrestling?

There were pretty clear one-to-one analogues for most characters.
Fighter Hayabusa: Antonio Inoki
Kin Corn Karn: Killer Khan
King Slender: Ric Flair
Giant Panther: Hulk Hogan
Was never clear if Starman was a specific luchador or just an all purpose lucha invention.

Who the gently caress was the Amazon?!

Edit: was Great Puma Tiger Mask?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was never clear if Starman was a specific luchador or just an all purpose lucha invention.

Starman and The Amazon are originals. you are correct on great puma.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Some speculate that The Amazon was an Abdullah the Butcher analog, what with the biting and stabbing people with a fork.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Galaxy brain question:

Did John Cena use the Flying Shoulder Tackle in his 5 Moves to honor his childhood nerd self’s use of Starman? I mean, the man had NES Pro Wrestling merch. It wouldn’t be too far a stretch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wrestlers can only become top stars by channeling the spiritual energy of those who came before them. Austin channeled Lou Thesz by using his famous Press; as a Massachusetts native, Cena is channeling Gus Sonnenberg.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

...Wait, is that why Flair was called Dick Slender in Fire Pro?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

What heel turn was the most poorly timed in kayfabe? They can't all be surprise briefcase cash-ins, but last night with KO/fi just seemed arbitrary, if hype (although will all understand that this is because the spirit of an angry baby randomly possesess the large Canadian body of Kevin Owens), and WWE wrestlers seem to have a tendency to turn when they're outnumbered and have nothing explicitly to gain in that moment (like the Shield breakup)

Samoa Joe joining the Main Event Mafia.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What are the best top-to-bottom WCW PPVs? For the purposes of this question, I'll be specific and say WCW rather than NWA. It always seems like there's something really bad for every good thing on every show, though admittedly I'm not too well-up on 1992 or thereabouts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What are the best top-to-bottom WCW PPVs? For the purposes of this question, I'll be specific and say WCW rather than NWA. It always seems like there's something really bad for every good thing on every show, though admittedly I'm not too well-up on 1992 or thereabouts.

Great American Bash 89 is not only the best WCW ppv, but is in the running for the best ppv of all time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Randaconda posted:

Great American Bash 89 is not only the best WCW ppv, but is in the running for the best ppv of all time.

Thanks! I've heard a lot about it but never watched it. I should watch it.

I've heard that 1989 and 1992 are the best years for WCW generally, and I'm quite rusty on anything before 1994 really so I appreciate any more suggestions. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Bash 89 as mentioned plus Spring Stampede 94 and 99.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thanks! I've heard a lot about it but never watched it. I should watch it.

I've heard that 1989 and 1992 are the best years for WCW generally, and I'm quite rusty on anything before 1994 really so I appreciate any more suggestions. :)

'89 was amazing from a match standpoint, but it didn't translate into financial success, sadly. Flair/Steamboat, Flair/Funk and Sting/Muta were all amazing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
New Blood Rising

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weren't the 2001 ones all pretty solid from an in-ring perspective?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

mostly passable, but no real stand out great matches

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

Bash 89 as mentioned plus Spring Stampede 94 and 99.

I think I've seen you cite Spring Stampede 99 as the last one that's really any good full stop before, so that'll be an interesting one to go back to!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

New Blood Rising

I think I've seen all of the Russo ones and had to think for a moment as to which one this was. I think it was the one where Goldberg refused to follow the script!!!, no?

On that note, what is the WORST WCW PPV? Souled Out 97?

Gaz-L posted:

I think I've seen Sin. It was okay, it just kind of felt like a party that's long been over. It's pretty cool that you can just hang out with a few people and chat, but you have this throbbing memory that the place was jumping mere hours earlier.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
dont get me wrong Sin, Superbrawl Revenge, and Greed are much better than most 2000 WCW PPVs, but those were awful shows, with a stretch of what might honestly be the two or three worst PPVs of all time.

so stunning mediocrity was a vast improvement

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every 2000 PPV where J****** wins the main event are tied for worst of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Sin and Super Brawl are pretty boring but Greed is great.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Every 2000 PPV where J****** wins the main event are tied for worst of all time.

say his name. Jarrett. poison.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Halloween Havoc 97 had a great card with a laughably bad main event. Rey vs Eddie is legendary, DDP vs Savage is a great showcase.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel like the gap between "good" and "so bad its good" is wider in wrestling than it is in film. By which I mean, I don't care if I pay for a movie that's laughably bad, and I will eagerly go see that movie years later. Whereas I eagerly watch old bad PPVs, but I'd probably be pissed if I'd paid for them at the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A lot of that's probably that for a long time PPVs cost $30-50 and movies don't cost you that unless you really like your theater snacks or buy a lot of impulse expensive physical media editions.

They're also 3 hour investments of time which most movies aren't. And a bad match is just like 10-20 minutes of boring where a bad movie at least has a moving narrative and changing scenes.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

AkumaHokoru posted:

If anyone still says that any wrestler can be a main eventer with the right push, Jarrett is the perfect argument against it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like the gap between "good" and "so bad its good" is wider in wrestling than it is in film. By which I mean, I don't care if I pay for a movie that's laughably bad, and I will eagerly go see that movie years later. Whereas I eagerly watch old bad PPVs, but I'd probably be pissed if I'd paid for them at the time.

wcw would manage to accomplish this on the same show within 1 episode.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

AkumaHokoru posted:

If you say his name double times he'll appear behind you, steal your belt, and shove gold in your pants

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you say his name double times he'll appear behind you, steal your belt, and shove gold in your pants

If you dont have a belt he hits you with a guitar and calls you slapnuts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I loved in TNA when the sparkler on his guitar would misfire and just blow the drat thing apart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have any more details come out about the ending to WrestleMania? Who botched what, if anything?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have any more details come out about the ending to WrestleMania? Who botched what, if anything?

The company botched the entire show.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The company botched the entire show.

Kofi won :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The crucifix pin was the planned finish. Ronda's shoulders weren't all the way down for 3 during it, because she was selling the struggle a bit too much.

So lovely, unsatisfying finish was how it was scripted.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I loved in TNA when the sparkler on his guitar would misfire and just blow the drat thing apart.
History will judge TNA's prop department harshly for not doing the correct, obvious thing.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Is there any wrestler out there that wrestles as safely as ZSJ does while also making it entertaining?

Who are the other mat wizards I should be looking out for?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Aphrodite posted:

The crucifix pin was the planned finish. Ronda's shoulders weren't all the way down for 3 during it, because she was selling the struggle a bit too much.

So lovely, unsatisfying finish was how it was scripted.

The lowest paid person was blamed for the "error"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

Is there any wrestler out there that wrestles as safely as ZSJ does while also making it entertaining?

Who are the other mat wizards I should be looking out for?

Hechicero is as good as ZSJ.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Negro Navarro also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Sid actually poo poo himself during the main even of Wrestlemania 13?