Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Willow the Whiff lives in infamy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Had a neat idea that might turn into a thread later with enough interest. Most of us growing up probably made or listened to custom mix tapes, from our own library or friends, yeah?

If you had to make a two hour "Mix Tape" of wrestling to show a friend in one sitting with the intent of turning them into a wrestling fan, what would you show them? Please don't list just a single show because that takes the fun out of making a Mix Tape.

Kota Ibushivs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw vs El Generico (CHIKARA King of Trios 2009: Night 2) [15 Minutes]
Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 23: Aug 04, 2013) [10 Minutes]
Dean Malenko vs Ultimo Dragon (WCW Starrcade 1996) [20 Minutes]
Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack (WWE Backlash 2004) [30 Minutes]
Hikaru Shida, Riho & Ryo Mizunami defeat Aja Kong, Emi Sakura & Yuka Sakazaki (AEW Double or Nothing) [15 Minutes]
Sanshiro Takagi vs Minoru Suzuki (DDT Pro, Tokyo Dome Empty Arena Match) [30 Minutes]

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RealFoxy posted:

Had a neat idea that might turn into a thread later with enough interest. Most of us growing up probably made or listened to custom mix tapes, from our own library or friends, yeah?

If you had to make a two hour "Mix Tape" of wrestling to show a friend in one sitting with the intent of turning them into a wrestling fan, what would you show them? Please don't list just a single show because that takes the fun out of making a Mix Tape.

Kota Ibushivs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw vs El Generico (CHIKARA King of Trios 2009: Night 2) [15 Minutes]
Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 23: Aug 04, 2013) [10 Minutes]
Dean Malenko vs Ultimo Dragon (WCW Starrcade 1996) [20 Minutes]
Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack (WWE Backlash 2004) [30 Minutes]
Hikaru Shida, Riho & Ryo Mizunami defeat Aja Kong, Emi Sakura & Yuka Sakazaki (AEW Double or Nothing) [15 Minutes]
Sanshiro Takagi vs Minoru Suzuki (DDT Pro, Tokyo Dome Empty Arena Match) [30 Minutes]

Rob Naylor did this for years - he sold DVD comps of random cool matches before he was signed by WWE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I used to put together little "Mystery Box" threads a few years back where I'd select out various matches around a particular theme and I had a lot of fun with it, I just ran out of time to keep up with doing it. It would be pretty neat to have something like that going again/doing watchalongs.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

I used to put together little "Mystery Box" threads a few years back where I'd select out various matches around a particular theme and I had a lot of fun with it, I just ran out of time to keep up with doing it. It would be pretty neat to have something like that going again/doing watchalongs.
Yeah, if it takes off I could do themed months, like celebrating 4th of July with everyone's favorite National Hero vs Foreign Heel matches (Doesn't have to be USA exclusive!)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I used to burn a bunch of CD-Rs like that to introduce my friends to older and/or non-WWE wrestling stuff. I wonder if I still have those discs somewhere.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The touchpoint for this being DVD/CD-R and not the Schneider Comps on tape :corsair:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deathlove posted:

The touchpoint for this being DVD/CD-R and not the Schneider Comps on tape :corsair:

At some point the Schneider comps were actually digitised and released on DVD but I forget when that happened. But there were even a couple of new ones released.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If going to a wrestling school and spending a year or so in the indies doesn't disqualify you from being WWE homegrown talent, doesn't John Cena count? I think his path through UPW was similar to Dream's path through that Maryland fed.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure homegrown WWE just means that most people have no loving clue what they were doing before Vince got his hands on a guy. Vince got to make them in his own image, as he see's it, and nobody who matters knows any better if the guy was good beforehand.

The key is that Vince can take credit. Nothing else matters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

If you had to make a two hour "Mix Tape" of wrestling to show a friend in one sitting with the intent of turning them into a wrestling fan, what would you show them?

my wife like me has lapsed on wrestling for years after getting into it when Asuka was on the rise. Watching the DoN joshi match and some AEW stuff sold her back on it but I legit think this Jervis vs Orange Cassidy match really did it, since that's what she's been posting to her friends lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ILMpJOzUXM

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!
Who was the first wrestler to be billed from Parts Unknown?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Earliest I can think of is The Missing Link.

I believe Kamala was from "Deepest, Darkest Africa," but most wrestling fans can at least find Africa on a map.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the homegrown thing is gonna be a pedantic argument anyway you go since not a lot of guys are gonna be 100% WWE except the athletes and models who start with the Performance Center. But it comes down to what you're trying to say. If its like a question of the Performance Center and its ability to train wrestlers from scratch (or close) then i think its fair to point out if Wrestler X was trained elsewhere and did time on local indies, even if it was only a year or two. But there's gonna be a ton of different relatively arbitrary lines and standards for different people and different ideas.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

We can redraw the line all day, but I think people are asking for people recruited specifically to train at the performance center, which would probably be the typical WWE Style former Football or modeling athletes like Dana Brooke and Baron Corbin, and people are generally less interested in people who went to a training school for the basics then went to the WWE a year or two after their training started elsewhere. John Cena is as much of a WWE guy you can be, but at one point he was learning to wrestle at the same school Samoa Joe was pre-WWE

At a certain level though most of what you learned in training besides the bare minimum basics is completely replaced by the WWE style, playing to hardcam, learning how to go to commercial break, and wrestling for Vince McMahon in general so the year or two John Cena might've learned somewhere else probably doesn't matter that much compared to the nearly 20 years he wrestled in the WWE

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 25, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Let's suppose they've never seen a wrestling match in their life and you want them to get a good idea of what wrestling is and all the rules and what have you. If so, let's show them a load of good-rear end multi-man tag matches like these:

Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa vs. Aleister Black, Ricochet and The Velveteen Dream (WWE Halftime Heat 2019) [15 minutes]
Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb, KUSHIDA & Yuji Nagata (NJPW New Year Dash 2019) [15 minutes]
Daniel Bryan, Kane & Randy Orton vs. The Shield (WWE Smackdown, June 11th 2013) [15 minutes]
CIMA, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs. Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito (ROH Supercard of Honor 2006) [20 minutes]
Akito, Konosuke Takeshita & Yuki Ino vs. Chihiro Hashimoto, DASH Chisako & Meiko Satomura (DDT Into The Fight 2019) [15 minutes]
Caristico, Mistico & Volador Jr. vs. El Cuatrero, Forastero & Sanson (CMLL Super Viernes 22/02/19) [15 minutes]
Akira Taue, Jumbo Tsuruta and Masanobu Fuchi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi (AJPW October Giant Series 1990 Day 16) [25 minutes]

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Making wrestling card mix tapes sound like a lot of loving fun actually. Build your own show out of everything you know!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what is the shortest wrestling pay per view event.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Cavauro posted:

The TNA weekly ones probably

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i believe there were wwf events in the 90s that were half the length of tna weeklies. no, it seems they were the same length but i remembered them as being 1 hour. however i am after a true gem locked away in the fuckedest vault

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cavauro posted:

I misread that as "shortest wrestling pay per view main event" at first.

That would probably be Punk vs. Del Rio at Summerslam 2011, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll sell you a single-match PPV of me wrestling a broom in my living room for, oh, $50.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No trolling and carrying On is allowed in the questions thread. it is tagged [Education] for a reason

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gavok posted:

Goldberg vs Lesnar at that Survivor Series, I don’t think you can class a cash-in as a main event really?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

One of the original ECW ppvs had the advertised and built up main event of Taz vs Chris Candido take place during the free preview portion of the show and it was over in like a minute.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Goldberg vs Lesnar at that Survivor Series, I don’t think you can class a cash-in as a main event really?

Nah, it's absolutely Goldberg/Owens at Fastlane 2017, which was a match that happened and involved Jericho distracting Owens to let Goldberg win in, like, ten seconds

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cavauro posted:

No trolling and carrying On is allowed in the questions thread. it is tagged [Education] for a reason

Carrying On is your greatest gift to us my internet friend

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Gavok posted:

Nothing will ever beat the 9-second Sting vs Jeff Hardy 'match' from Victory Road 2011.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Germansimp posted:

Nothing will ever beat the 9-second Sting vs Jeff Hardy 'match' from Victory Road 2011.

Another me is what you will never see

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It's my birthday and my girlfriend got me some choice wrassle gifts.

I got this cool Liger pin to go with my Terry Funk pin

She also got me this super cute Abdullah the Butcher.

They even put lil fatty rolls on the back of his head.

Edit:
What kind of silly wrestling things do you have?

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
where's that Terry funk pin from?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ive got a los ingobernables de japon pin on my bag. theyre packed up rn but i found these packs of like, 92-93 wcw trading cards and they are fantastic. ill have to take pics of em some time.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

where's that Terry funk pin from?

I snagged it on Etsy, came in a matchbook stamped "Suck Eggs"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hey, fellow Liger pin buddy!

I don't know how to embed a tiny imgur gallery, but here are a few fun things most of which were gifts (also imgur apparently does terrible things for image quality): http://imgur.com/a/QBf4EDq

- Fun Liger, Piper v Valentine, Minoru Suzuki, and Daryl pins to jangle around on my jacket
- A nice photo of Matt Classic that a friend took
- The SummerSlam 88 program from my partner
- A ridiculous wall scroll ad thingie that I gifted myself while visiting Tokyo for Wrestle Kingdom
- One of the only Funko pops worth having: Roddy Piper (plus Ripley next to him)
- A nifty lil Hayabusa figure
- A drawing of sweet baby luchadors from a friend a while back
- A Rock-inspired cook book zine

I have many silly wrestling things. I still need to build a shelf for the box of Coliseum Home Video tapes I have packed away.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Wow! That Piper Valentine pin is awesome.

I'm hoping to add a Gran Naniwa and Tiger Mask to my mask collection and look for some weird Sasuke stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I snagged it on Etsy, came in a matchbook stamped "Suck Eggs"

That loving rules.

It warms my heart that basically everyone loves Terry.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Wow! That Piper Valentine pin is awesome.

I got it from Pollyanna - they do a bunch of fun short run pins and shirts. I also have this awesome Terry Funk pin on one of my backpacks (green chaps of course): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqu4fXMHX2h/?igshid=1bw4vx9n9rnc3

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

- A ridiculous wall scroll ad thingie that I gifted myself while visiting Tokyo for Wrestle Kingdom

That looks like an old ad campaign for Mister Donuts.

That Abdullah is from a can coffee giveaway long time ago too, think they had collections of various guys.

These are the kinds of old goodies you can find at TOUDOUKON, the wrestling shop in Tokyo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

That looks like an old ad campaign for Mister Donuts.

That Abdullah is from a can coffee giveaway long time ago too, think they had collections of various guys.

These are the kinds of old goodies you can find at TOUDOUKON, the wrestling shop in Tokyo.

Yup, it's some kind of ad for sports towels sponsored by Mister Donut as far as I can make out? It was expensive but a stupid easy buy since it combined all the things I love most - wrestling, donuts, and Bull Nakano.

I spent about 3 hours in Toudoukan one day. It's so easy to get lost just going through the magazines and tapes. Plus, they were super helpful in mailing everything I bought back to me in the US. Love that place.

gently caress, I need to go back to Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got two 80s wrestling magazines that I've been meaning to scan and upload here. They're currently with a friend who has a scanner. Every page with an advertisement on it has at least one advertisement for "amazonian wrestling" tapes.

For things I have around, I've got some pins

From top clockwise: Kris Wolf wearing a wolf head pin, Bret Hart lion (it was very weird so i grabbed it), a "bury me softly brother" coffin pin, a Randy Myers pin which he made after MJF got heat for calling him a sexual predator, and an Aubrey Edwards pin. I've got other pins but they're nothing special.