Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
This is all beside the point, the Dudley name was trademarked by ECW and was their intellectual property.

If it wasn't, they could use the name and there was nothing WWE could do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

You are a fan who has not watched wrestling in years and see a flier for an Independent Show

MAIN EVENT: Team 3D

"Who are they?"

MAIN EVENT: The Dudley Boys

"Oh gently caress, I am buying a ticket"

Why would a fan who hasn't watched in years want to go see the Dudleys on an independent show?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The only guy who would buy a ticket based on the Dudleys? That Rated R human being.

KungFu Grip posted:

I don't know, how much money do you think Bubba, D-Von, and Spike have? Because I'm pretty sure they are the only Dudleys that lost the rights to use that name.

Stop being such a pedantic prick.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

This is all beside the point, the Dudley name was trademarked by ECW and was their intellectual property.

If it wasn't, they could use the name and there was nothing WWE could do about it.

Put yourself in their shoes - they might have the right to use the name, but by suing the WWE, they would burn that bridge forever. Also, they might lose and would be out a lot in legal fees.

They probably decided that changing the name would allow them to work right away and make money, plus it would leave the door open for a return at some point in the future.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Its ridiculous, the casual fan knows who the Dudleys are, they would not know who Team 3D was unless they saw a picture

It would be like saying the name and gimmick Hulk Hogan means nothing and he could make just as much money and be as big a draw as Terrence Bigguy

The Dudley Name is a draw

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Put yourself in their shoes - they might have the right to use the name, but by suing the WWE, they would burn that bridge forever. Also, they might lose and would be out a lot in legal fees.

They probably decided that changing the name would allow them to work right away and make money, plus it would leave the door open for a return at some point in the future.

But they are not the only people to do it

-Warrior won by proving he used the "warrior" name and gimmick before WWE trademarked it
-Christian went as Christian Cage because he went by that name before the WWE trademarked "Christian"

All the Dudleys would have to do is show in court with a videotape where they are "The Dudleys" from before the trademark and they win.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Axissillian posted:

Its ridiculous, the casual fan knows who the Dudleys are, they would not know who Team 3D was unless they saw a picture

It would be like saying the name and gimmick Hulk Hogan means nothing and he could make just as much money and be as big a draw as Terrence Bigguy

The Dudley Name is a draw

I remember reading a while back (wiki corroborates, but grain of salt etc) that they tried to fight legally, but were unsuccessful by the time they showed up in TNA, so they went with Team 3D (and apparently also tried to trademark the name Deadly as a replacement).

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

But they are not the only people to do it

-Warrior won by proving he used the "warrior" name and gimmick before WWE trademarked it
-Christian went as Christian Cage because he went by that name before the WWE trademarked "Christian"

All the Dudleys would have to do is show in court with a videotape where they are "The Dudleys" from before the trademark and they win.

And the Warrior is persona non grata in the WWE, while Christian changed his name in compliance with a WWE trademark warning.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Dissolusion posted:

I remember reading a while back (wiki corroborates, but grain of salt etc) that they tried to fight legally, but were unsuccessful by the time they showed up in TNA, so they went with Team 3D (and apparently also tried to trademark the name Deadly as a replacement).

They tried to fight legally but they couldn't because they didn't own the name. ECW did and WWE acquired the intellectual property when they bought ECW.

you have to remember, The Dudleys were not originally Bubba and D-Von. Bubba and D-Von were given the names after the "Dudley's" were established. ECW had the trademark, and gave them the gimmicks. They never owned the property, the company did and it went to WWE

Handjob Susan
Jun 18, 2001

Now he is your avatar. Shithead.

projecthalaxy posted:

Anybody need to book Goldberg for your private event? Goldberg would love to give a speech! Maybe a cooking demonstration!

https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakers/Goldberg/2504

edit: URL
The fact that he has Santa's Slay as a feature film is one of the best pieces of spin I've seen in a long time.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Judakel posted:

Stop being such a pedantic prick.

I didn't mean to sound pedantic, sorry.

Different question: How many times has Terry Funk actually had retirement matches?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

KungFu Grip posted:

Different question: How many times has Terry Funk actually had retirement matches?

In a similar vein, does anybody know how many stars there are in the sky?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Axissillian posted:

They tried to fight legally but they couldn't because they didn't own the name. ECW did and WWE acquired the intellectual property when they bought ECW.

you have to remember, The Dudleys were not originally Bubba and D-Von. Bubba and D-Von were given the names after the "Dudley's" were established. ECW had the trademark, and gave them the gimmicks. They never owned the property, the company did and it went to WWE

I know that this was gone over earlier in the thread, but what about the period of time that the Dudley's were in the WWF wile ECW was still open? I was going to post what someone told me earlier, but I forget.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I know that this was gone over earlier in the thread, but what about the period of time that the Dudley's were in the WWF wile ECW was still open? I was going to post what someone told me earlier, but I forget.
The only reason anybody's ever given is that it was fine with Paul E., so he didn't press it legally.

WWE and ECW had a working business relationship. ECW owned the rights until the buyout.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!

Timby posted:

They tried to play it up that way. JR was pissed that Michael Cole had his job, so he brought in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to be his personal bobo, set up his own announce table and acted like a dick for three weeks or so. He wound up slapping the poo poo out of somebody (Cole?), screaming "LOOK AT MY FACE WHEN I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!"

Then WWE realized what a loving horrible idea the whole thing was.

He also did kick Cole in the groin if I remember correctly... so it wasn't THAT bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Axissillian posted:

Here's a New Age Outlaws incident I never understood

I remember during one match when the NAO were having their DX face title run, they did a PPV against the heel Headbangers.

The match was the Headbangers dominating the match cleanly, without NAO getting in any offense, and just when Mosh was about to wrap it up, Billy came in and hit him with a boom box for the DQ.

It was so weird because it wasn't a heel turn or anything. It was just a match where the faces were destroyed by the heels cleanly, got a DQ to retain the gold, and went home.

They didn't even continue the feud, that was it. It just reeked of Russo.

I am bringing this up to say that I don't think the Outlaws were part of DX when this happened. This was when the Outlaws were the champs for the first time, when DX was HHH & HBK. They cheated all the time back then, I don't think they won any matches clean for a couple months straight.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

KungFu Grip posted:

I think much like the undertaker and casket/buried alive matches, retirement matches are now Funks match, and it would feel weird to have one without him.

On that note, has Funk ever WON a retirement match?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

triplexpac posted:

I am bringing this up to say that I don't think the Outlaws were part of DX when this happened. This was when the Outlaws were the champs for the first time, when DX was HHH & HBK. They cheated all the time back then, I don't think they won any matches clean for a couple months straight.

I don't think its that because the first wrestling show I ever watched was when NAO joined DX.

Also, they said "If you don't like that, we got two words for ya"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

SiKboy posted:

I think much like the undertaker and casket/buried alive matches, retirement matches are now Funks match, and it would feel weird to have one without him.

On that note, has Funk ever WON a retirement match?

I don't think he has. Funk's old school, and I think he's said the right way to go out is looking at the lights.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Axissillian posted:

Okay, chiming in because I haven't seen the correct story stated. The Dudleys were promised the rights to their names by Heyman when they left, that was why they could use it in WWE (although I have a sneaking suspicion that Heyman licensed names indefinetly to WWE in exchange for the money Vince was giving him). The Dudleys never bothered to have anything legal drawn up, so when WWE bought ECW it included the Dudley names and gimmicks. Once they left WWE, they tried to use the names and found out that WWE owned them. It's a mix of Heyman being a sleazy/lovely businessman, the Dudleys being lovely businessmen, and WWE being stuck in the middle because they're just the company that owns the name.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So who's seen a Hell in a Cell match live before? I'm going to the show on Sunday, and I'm up in the nosebleeds. How's the view from the upper deck for these things? I'm a bit worried about visibility being so high up.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I know Vince Russo joined creative in the WWF in 1996, but when did he get the full promotion to head writer? Some time in 1998, I think, I just can't put my finger on when.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

TL posted:

So who's seen a Hell in a Cell match live before? I'm going to the show on Sunday, and I'm up in the nosebleeds. How's the view from the upper deck for these things? I'm a bit worried about visibility being so high up.

I have. (Randy Orton VS Undertaker) I was a few rows up from the floor seats. If they left the ring, I could see nothing.

From a nosebleed seat, the view is not THAT bad. you should still be able to see.

The one place you dont want to be at a WWE event are the floor seats.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2009

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

TL posted:

I was at the cell match with Nash vs Triple H at Bad Blood 2003 with floor seats five rows away from the ring. The view wasn't as bad as I thought it was, althought everyone was very confused when they pulled out the tool box and started stabbing each other with screwdrivers.

The view isn't bad though, as you can easily see through the mesh. Although from my experience with upper deck seats is that you will be glancing over at the titan tron quite a few times through out the night, especially when matches go to ringside.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Which WCW wrestler and ECW wrestler from the Invasion/Alliance had the most success in WWE?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Which WCW wrestler and ECW wrestler from the Invasion/Alliance had the most success in WWE?

RVD would be the obvious answer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Probably Rob Van Dam or Booker T if you're counting only ECW/WCW guys that were used during the invasion. If not, Benoit or Jericho (and Jericho technically was an Alliance guy, since he turned).

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Booker T easily since he won pretty much every title

For ECW, dunno...maybe Tommy Dreamer, since he actually has a job still

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(and Jericho technically was an Alliance guy, since he turned).

What? Jericho never joined the Alliance.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Karmine posted:

What? Jericho never joined the Alliance.

He was a part of Team WWF originally, but during the match heeled it up and helped Team Alliance because of his hate for The Rock.

He still wasn't really part of the Alliance.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Jesus, looking at the roster for the Alliance is really really sad. Beyond the lack of big names, the sheer amount of people that were dropped over the few years after the alliance is outstanding.

I would nominate Hurricane for one of the most successful members from a pure staying power/merchandise mover stand point.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.
When did WWF/E first have The Undertaker's druids? I found one site through Google that said the first time was WrestleMania XIV, but I'm watching the Kane/Taker match from that even right now, and JR mentions that they've seen the druids before, so now I'm all confused.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

A Dapper Man posted:

When did WWF/E first have The Undertaker's druids? I found one site through Google that said the first time was WrestleMania XIV, but I'm watching the Kane/Taker match from that even right now, and JR mentions that they've seen the druids before, so now I'm all confused.

The Real First time was taker/yoko IIRC they brought out the casket and then the undertaker came out

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

WWE 1998, Terry Funk came back and wasn't just Terry Funk, he was Chainsaw Charlie, but still in all his promos and interviews, he was Terry Funk but only became Charlie during matches. Similarly, Foley was Foley for his interviews and promos and Cactus Jack for his matches. Was this just Russo trying to play the smarks by having these guys admit to just being characters for matches and really being humans behind the scenes?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
According to Foley, it was all Funk's idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Writer Cath posted:

According to Foley, it was all Funk's idea.

The Chainsaw Charlie thing was Funk's idea, because he (for some reason) didn't want to be clearly identified as Funk. (I think he had recently done one of his retirement matches just a week or two before the angle started, which might have been a part of it.) As for the "Mick Foley" / "Terry Funk" thing, I think it stemmed from the guys' time in ECW, when they didn't bother with gimmicks and it was habitually ingrained in them.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

PoO3 posted:

He was a part of Team WWF originally, but during the match heeled it up and helped Team Alliance because of his hate for The Rock.

He still wasn't really part of the Alliance.

This never happened.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

This never happened.

Chris Jericho beating the poo poo out of the Rock at the end of the survior series match after being eliminated? Yup that happened.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

He also did kick Cole in the groin if I remember correctly... so it wasn't THAT bad.

Except that the Oklahoma gimmick in WCW was pretty much the exact same thing, but with Ed Ferrara playing JR.

And winning the Cruiserweight title.

And feuding with Madusa and hitting people with bottles of BBQ sauce.

And Dr. Death pretty much injuring the entire cruiserweight division.

And it went on for like three loving months.

In conclusion, fire Russo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Didn't the Oklahoma thing start with Oklahoma claiming that the women were all crap and that even a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them, and end with his BEATING the women's champion in a match and afterwards they all ganged up and poured mustard on him, thus proving that he was incorrect in his claim that a fat sack of poo poo like him could beat them..... as long as you paid no attention to the fact a fat sack of poo poo like him did beat them....?