Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sounds like something they'd do.

*Miz beats Riley clean*

HE'S OVER!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wojtek posted:

Yes let's bury Miz further by giving him a feud with a guy who literally loses every match he's in.
How can he feud with himself?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember how last year there was like a month where Alex Riley went through a table every week for increasingly contrived reasons? Good times with Alex.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Endorph posted:

How can he feud with himself?

Kane-style.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Charisma posted:

That sounds like something they'd do.

*Miz beats Riley clean*

HE'S OVER!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa man this is the perfect chance for the writers to get Riley over, let's not book ourselves into a corner.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Has it ever been presented or implied that it would?

In the promotion for every I Quit match I've ever seen, there has been a line to the effect of "The only way to win is to make your opponent say "I Quit"". If you could also win by knocking your opponent unconscious, wouldn't they mention that?

No but the fact that they never addressed it doesn't mean it's automatically different than submission matches.

And to answer your second question no because it's not like they mention every possible finish whenever they promo a match. Did they specifically say that you could also win by knocking your opponent unconscious while they were promoting the Bret/Austin submission match? When they promo the LMS it's like they say "The only way to win is be the last man standing... by the way if both guy are unable to answer the count of ten the match is a draw and the champion keeps his belt."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They had a normal title match between Rock and Foley where Rock retained his title because he passed out to the mandible claw and thus did not get pinned or submitted. In the end the rules are whatever they want them to be.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skinty McEdger posted:

They had a normal title match between Rock and Foley where Rock retained his title because he passed out to the mandible claw and thus did not get pinned or submitted. In the end the rules are whatever they want them to be.

Yes absolutely. Arguing about the rules is really silly. They can do whatever they want whenever they want. There aren't really any rules at all unless they want them to apply, until they feel like breaking them.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Skinty McEdger posted:

This instigates a question for me. Was the Rock taken seriously with his first title reign? It seems like he jobbed a ton as champion and played hot potato with Foley a lot before giving it up for good to Austin. It also smells of Russo bullshit.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Alex Riley is paying his dues like a champ as the Miz's loser lackey. He's going to be a world title holder in no time at all.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

This instigates a question for me. Was the Rock taken seriously with his first title reign?

Absolutely. He was built strongly for it, over as hell, and the turn made him the hottest heel in the company.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'd be ok with Riley rarely ever winning as long as they have him lose in entertaining ways each time. Previously they've done lovely losing streak angles with guys that should have been winning due to their incredible in-ring talent (Daniel Bryan and Kaval for example) and it was awful - but for some reason with Riley and his character it honestly just works really well somehow. He's not going to light the ring on fire with his ring work at this point so until he gets better a stooge role in my opinion works really well for him. Heels like Riley should lose more often than not because his words far outweigh his ability and seeing him getting thrown like a projectile one night and then throwing Miz a birthday party the next is just loving funny.

Being the cocky rear end in a top hat that comes out and challenges world champions only to get beat is hilarious to me when Riley does it. He and Ricardo are the best stooges the WWE has had in a long time and both for different reasons.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

tzirean posted:

Absolutely. He was built strongly for it, over as hell, and the turn made him the hottest heel in the company.

The Rock will ALWAYS ALWAYS be the people's champion.

Then he betrays the people. It was so perfect.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

tzirean posted:

Also, he won in the cheapest fashion, which was a great swerve because much of the tournament was set up to make it look like Mankind had an easy route to the title.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Also, he won in the cheapest fashion, which was a great swerve because much of the tournament was set up to make it look like Mankind had an easy route to the title.

I think it also turned out that everyone that helped The Rock win were secret members of The Corporation. For example, Rock beats Bossman in three seconds, then he beats Shamrock with "accidental" assistance from Bossman, then Kane attacks Rock, which causes Undertaker (not part of the Corporation at the time) to be disqualified. Ten-year-old me thought McMahon was an evil genius.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

crankdatbatman posted:

This instigates a question for me. Was the Rock taken seriously with his first title reign? It seems like he jobbed a ton as champion and played hot potato with Foley a lot before giving it up for good to Austin. It also smells of Russo bullshit.

The Rock was built up from the midcard to the main event very well, and it's a miracle that it worked, given how little experience he had. It's a testament to just how naturally gifted he is. The Rock already had popular feuds by then with Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, and DX/HHH, feuds where he was made to look like a threat, even if he didn't win in the end.

Hot potato can work if both guys are treated credibly. Mankind and The Rock killed each other in their feud. They earned their reigns, as short as they were. It doesn't work if you just throw it between Randy Orton and John Cena having lifeless, standard WWE matches and meaningless gimmick matches. Mankind and Rock went through gimmick matches, but they had meaning. They loving despised each other, and a normal match couldn't contain them.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 20, 2011

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

crankdatbatman posted:

What I'm trying to say is why the gently caress are they booking an I Quit match between Cena and the Miz?

In an ideal world, they would to this to show that Cena is an evil sadistic sociopath who loves to hurt Miz. That's kind of how this build-up feels to me, Miz is the underdog and Cena is the monster who chooses a match he almost certainly cannot lose, and has a history with where he tortured people.

In WWE's eyes, it's probably to finally give that dastardly heel Miz his comeuppance. For what? For bruising Cena's knuckles with his and Riley's face. Excitement!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

In an ideal world, they would to this to show that Cena is an evil sadistic sociopath who loves to hurt Miz. That's kind of how this build-up feels to me, Miz is the underdog and Cena is the monster who chooses a match he almost certainly cannot lose, and has a history with where he tortured people.

In WWE's eyes, it's probably to finally give that dastardly heel Miz his comeuppance. For what? For bruising Cena's knuckles with his and Riley's face. Excitement!

The answer is really "WE NEED TO INCREASE BUYS SOMEHOW UHHHHHHHHHHHH THROW A GIMMICK ON THE MATCH!!!!!!"

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

The answer is really "WE NEED TO INCREASE BUYS SOMEHOW UHHHHHHHHHHHH THROW A GIMMICK ON THE MATCH!!!!!!"

Well that and also to be fair their feud has run it's course in singles normal matches, it was time to advance to a specialty blow off match.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Has there ever been a gimmick where a mask had powers and took over different wrestlers who wore it? Or am I thinking of the film The Mask starring Jim Carrey?

The most powerful accessory in wrestling history are Too Cool's yellow sunglasses that cause whoever wears them to dance.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

reality_groove posted:

The most powerful accessory in wrestling history are Too Cool's yellow sunglasses that cause whoever wears them to dance.

I went to look for a video of this, and found this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKR9YoEUDOQ

Awesome crowd, awesome match, awesome everything. It made me think, though, how did the McMahon-Helmsley Faction/Era end? My memories are a little hazy on that subject, it was around the time where I had to stop watching for a bit.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Charisma posted:

I hope the downward trend continues to the point where WWE tries to emulate my 14 year old self playing Smack Down Just Bring It!, where I would have the Undertaker vs. Stone Cold having Last Man Standing Matches for the main event of Smackdown.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain Charisma posted:

That's still better than "Welp this month's PPV is I Quit-PPV!"

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

Awesome crowd, awesome match, awesome everything. It made me think, though, how did the McMahon-Helmsley Faction/Era end? My memories are a little hazy on that subject, it was around the time where I had to stop watching for a bit.

Just off pure memory, I think it went on for a pretty long time. It eventually became another "corporation" when Vince McMahon joined his daughter after WM 2000. The focus shifted from Stephanie McMahon and Triple H to Evil Mr. McMahon and his cronies after that. They had some Earl Hebner/Linda McMahon controversy peppered in there because I think Chris Jericho stole a win over Triple H. Undertaker came back as Bikertaker and helped feud against them too Judgment Day and beyond. I think as time went on with Vince McMahon in charge Stephanie and Triple H went from authority figures to Stephanie just being Triple H's manager. Kurt Angle eventually got involved around SummerSlam, and they had that love triangle that fell flat--but was originally supposed to be the end of the two. Then Stone Cold came back, eventually turned heel and formed the Two Man Power Trip. It had to have officially ended when Triple H blew his quad because Triple H came back as a face and feuded with Stephanie.

In the end it's difficult to say because eventually Vince McMahon took over the group with Triple H being the muscle of their faction. I think they still called it the "McMahon-Helmsley Faction" after that, though, so my memory eludes me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

In the end it's difficult to say because eventually Vince McMahon took over the group with Triple H being the muscle of their faction. I think they still called it the "McMahon-Helmsley Faction" after that, though, so my memory eludes me.

I was still able to watch roughly until the Kurt/Triple H/Steph-triangle, I think. What you describe sounds plausible, if a little disappointing. The McMahon-Helmsley Era seemed so dominant, Triple H just going back to be McMahon's flunky seems a bit anticlimactic. Of course there's the Two Man Power Trip, I've heard good things about that.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I have determined that the most bullshit ending to an I Quit match would be a draw.

Therefore, that will be the ending on Sunday.

Has there ever been a draw or no contest for an I Quit match? I'm imagining something where both wrestlers have done so much damage to each other, neither is able to compete.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Perdido posted:

Has there ever been a draw or no contest for an I Quit match? I'm imagining something where both wrestlers have done so much damage to each other, neither is able to compete.

Or Miz and Cena say "I quit" at the same time, starting an angle where they pal up and finish each others sentences :sissies:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crankdatbatman posted:

The McMahon-Helmsley era offically ended at King of the Ring 2000 when the Rock won the WWF title from Triple H in a 6-man tag (yes, I know). The next RAW, Linda instated Mick Foley as the new commissioner and Vince disappeared from TV for a few months. Steph stuck around with Trips, Shane hooked up with Benoit but they weren't really affiliated anymore.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

The McMahon-Helmsley era offically ended at King of the Ring 2000 when the Rock won the WWF title from Triple H in a 6-man tag (yes, I know). The next RAW, Linda instated Mick Foley as the new commissioner and Vince disappeared from TV for a few months. Steph stuck around with Trips, Shane hooked up with Benoit but they weren't really affiliated anymore.

Was that the match with Undertaker, Kane and The Rock vs. Shane, Vince and Triple H? I remember that match, strange that I didn't remember it as the end of that faction as much, but maybe that's because I stopped watching so shortly afterwards. Thanks!

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 20, 2011

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rarity posted:

drat, now that you've mentioned it your totally right. I was thinking of bringing up the six man tag match in the post but I forgot that it was important for that reason. Stephanie and HHH stuck together well after that though, so I guess I was thinking their on-screen presence as being the faction.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

drat, now that you've mentioned it your totally right. I was thinking of bringing up the six man tag match in the post but I forgot that it was important for that reason. Stephanie and HHH stuck together well after that though, so I guess I was thinking their on-screen presence as being the faction.

I think the McMahon-Helmsley Era specifically was Triple H and Steph leading DX, the Radicalz and some other guys, so you're at least partly right.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

reality_groove posted:

=D

For emphasis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAWryPSueY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoRxUgsTZuU&feature=related

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

KildarX posted:

=D

For emphasis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAWryPSueY

Somehow, I just knew that Joanie Laurer would be completely devoid of rhythm.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Grendels Dad posted:

I went to look for a video of this, and found this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKR9YoEUDOQ

Whenever that clip is shown it's amazing how much excitement there is all over the arena, Rock is fighting Triple H on the ramp, Mankind knocks Benoit over the railing into the crowd, Rikishi crushes Perry Saturn in the corner, and the others are brawling at various parts around the ring. I remember watching that and being so pumped at all the poo poo that was going on.

If that match happened today as soon as Rock and Triple H left the ring they would have collapsed and layed there for 10 minutes waiting for their spot, Benoit would have been considered dead once he went over the railing, and the only 2 guys standing would be whoever was scheduled for the spot. It sucks.

I hope they figure out that when you play to the crowd it makes the fans at home more excited, and that playing to the fans at home makes the show so much more dull.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

maniacripper posted:

Whenever that clip is shown it's amazing how much excitement there is all over the arena, Rock is fighting Triple H on the ramp, Mankind knocks Benoit over the railing into the crowd, Rikishi crushes Perry Saturn in the corner, and the others are brawling at various parts around the ring. I remember watching that and being so pumped at all the poo poo that was going on.

I'll remember that moment for how big of a deal Kane was at the time. Paul Bearer coming in looking all smug, and then "BAH GAWD IT'S KANE" or whatever. I loved Kane back then, and I was pulling for him to win the title in that 6 man tag match that ended the McMahon-Helmsley faction. To think his card status has been so up and down since then...

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Is it true Andre was eliminated early in his 1989 Survivor Series match because he was completely drunk due to the fact of having to work with Warrior again? And that was his punishment from Vince for showing up to the show wasted? This is kind of a sad spot to watch Andre because he's pretty broken down which I think was the real reason for the early elimination.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perdido posted:

Rock and Mankind had a Last Man Standing match where both guys ended up being stretchered out of the arena and the match ended in a no-contest, so Rock retained the belt. That's as close to what you're asking about I can think of.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

I'll remember that moment for how big of a deal Kane was at the time. Paul Bearer coming in looking all smug, and then "BAH GAWD IT'S KANE" or whatever. I loved Kane back then, and I was pulling for him to win the title in that 6 man tag match that ended the McMahon-Helmsley faction. To think his card status has been so up and down since then...

One of my favorite random banter bits of all time was Stephanie ad-libbing "JR, what did you do?" when the lights go out & JR panickedly retorting "I didn't do anything, Stephanie, I promise :ohdear:" It's been too long since people were afraid of other people in wrestling.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Web Jew.0 posted:

No but the fact that they never addressed it doesn't mean it's automatically different than submission matches.

And to answer your second question no because it's not like they mention every possible finish whenever they promo a match. Did they specifically say that you could also win by knocking your opponent unconscious while they were promoting the Bret/Austin submission match? When they promo the LMS it's like they say "The only way to win is be the last man standing... by the way if both guy are unable to answer the count of ten the match is a draw and the champion keeps his belt."

This argument is entirely irrelevant to the story they were telling. The point of an I Quit match is to humiliate your opponent by getting him to say that he quits. Foley didn't quit, retaining his heat like Austin in that Bret Hart match.

Quibbling about whether it's a clean win or not is pointless, because the point of the match isn't to win, it's to shame your opponent. This isn't difficult; in fact it's so simple that even the people that write professional wrestling can grasp it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

reality_groove posted:

I know this isn't relevant to the original question, but really? Too Cool's sunglasses are the most powerful accessory in wrestling history? Not the Undertaker's Urn?

Or Head?