Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For what it's worth in this discussion, Orton is probably one of the guys that is complaining about Rock the loudest backstage, and that Meltzer thinks is "appalling."

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

blunt posted:

Orton's got to be making more than that else he wouldn't have signed the insanely long contract he has (He's contracted through to 2019 - the current longest wrestler deal they have). Either that or he's an idiot (or signed whilst concussed).

Unless it's like 800,000 per year for 10 years, which could end up being more in the long term than a crap load in non-commital bursts.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

For what it's worth in this discussion, Orton is probably one of the guys that is complaining about Rock the loudest backstage, and that Meltzer thinks is "appalling."

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469000

The anonymous wrestler crying foul thing is kinda weird since I recall Punk, Dolph, and at least one other openly and vocally doing it too not long ago.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Szmitten posted:

The anonymous wrestler crying foul thing is kinda weird since I recall Punk, Dolph, and at least one other openly and vocally doing it too not long ago.

I like Punk and Dolph, but they need to loving get over it. Rock's a ginormous, super-busy star who is coming back to help out because wrestling is literally his heritage, and he's probably ignoring a lot of people in Hollywood who are telling him not to get involved with Vince's sideshow again. And as Meltzer pointed out, Rock has a good track record for putting guys over.

Christ, wrestlers are petty.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Then again I think it was less "gently caress Rock" and more "I agree with Cena".

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Does anyone know where I can find studio photos of the WWE wrestlers? Ever since they changed their photo galleries to a "Twitter-like" interface, it's impossible to find anything because you have to scroll down through 5 galleries, it's not there, load the next 5 galleries, it's not there, etc.

I've tried searching "studio" but this only seems to work for divas.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

I like Punk and Dolph, but they need to loving get over it. Rock's a ginormous, super-busy star who is coming back to help out because wrestling is literally his heritage, and he's probably ignoring a lot of people in Hollywood who are telling him not to get involved with Vince's sideshow again. And as Meltzer pointed out, Rock has a good track record for putting guys over.

Christ, wrestlers are petty.

I like this perspective as well....

LordsofPain.net posted:

Former WWE creative writer Seth Mates reacted on Twitter to the apparent jealousy within WWE circles of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson being successful in Hollywood.

"Talking point: let's say WWE Films had been a success. Don't you think VINCE would have done same thing The Rock did - leave for Hollywood?" he wrote. "Vince has conquered wrestling over and over. If he'd smelled blood in Hollywood, he'd have already handed the keys to the kingdom to HHH and Steph.

"The jealousy towards Rock isn't for him leaving. It's that others can't."

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead

CombineThresher posted:

The thing is rock's not 'coming back' to get involved in Vince's sideshow. He's not going to be a pro-wrestler. He's going to always be an actor first. Whatever else happens beyond Wrestlemania will be Dwayne Johnson supporting his 'pro-wrestling hobby,' that yes - has ties to his heritage.

I see all this 'complaining about Rock' as being more the symptom of a greater problem, that for over a year, the company has spent a concerned effort building up this one match where the rest of the card has been neglected. There's no emotional connection any of the matches. Unless you're The Rock, Cena, Undertaker or HHH, you don't loving matter for this Wrestlemania.

As for Meltzer's sanctimonious rant, I have to side with the wrestlers who just don't know but don't care about the business. I've been at a job where it didn't matter if I knew the inner working because there was no room for promotion NOR was there any incentive to involve myself. I didn't have loyalty to the job and if the company went down in flames, gently caress - I would be out of a job but it wouldn't be the end of me. I see how many guys at WWE feel that way, too. They don't have any incentive to give a gently caress.

Ryder might have been an example where people could smugly say "Yes, you CAN get yourself over in the WWE." But then they can point to this last storyline where Ryder became just an accessory to John Cena and gently caress, I can understand if someone feels the disillusionment.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
You know I could ALMOST understand Hunter's sentiment that mid-card guys shouldn't be going over main eventers. Almost. Except for the fact that there are no compelling midcard storylines. There might be the bare bones of a feud, wherein two men have a series of matches together. But there's no reason why they're feuding, midcard guys don't get 2 minute promos anymore. How can the company expect these guys to get themselves over when they are given none of the tools to do so?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
They got Twitter, don't they? :clint:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

I see all this 'complaining about Rock' as being more the symptom of a greater problem, that for over a year, the company has spent a concerned effort building up this one match where the rest of the card has been neglected. There's no emotional connection any of the matches. Unless you're The Rock, Cena, Undertaker or HHH, you don't loving matter for this Wrestlemania.

Well not for nothing but Rock/Cena is literally going to keep a slowly failing company profitable alone so I'd say that was a pretty loving good job doing that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bocc Kob posted:

They got Twitter, don't they? :clint:

Speaking of which, is anyone else amused that despite rumors of Vince hating #heel for being business exposing, I could now buy a shirt with "heel" printed on it from the new kayfabe line.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

jscolon2.0 posted:

Speaking of which, is anyone else amused that despite rumors of Vince hating #heel for being business exposing, I could now buy a shirt with "heel" printed on it from the new kayfabe line.

Those shirts are probably about to be pulled because they were put on sale without going through the proper channels, FWIW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

The thing is rock's not 'coming back' to get involved in Vince's sideshow. He's not going to be a pro-wrestler. He's going to always be an actor first. Whatever else happens beyond Wrestlemania will be Dwayne Johnson supporting his 'pro-wrestling hobby,' that yes - has ties to his heritage.

As for Meltzer's sanctimonious rant, I have to side with the wrestlers who just don't know but don't care about the business. I've been at a job where it didn't matter if I knew the inner working because there was no room for promotion NOR was there any incentive to involve myself. I didn't have loyalty to the job and if the company went down in flames, gently caress - I would be out of a job but it wouldn't be the end of me. I see how many guys at WWE feel that way, too. They don't have any incentive to give a gently caress.

Ryder might have been an example where people could smugly say "Yes, you CAN get yourself over in the WWE." But then they can point to this last storyline where Ryder became just an accessory to John Cena and gently caress, I can understand if someone feels the disillusionment.

As I said in the other thread, the wrestlers get paid MORE when business is up. You may work at jobs where there is no incentive to do well, but in WWE if PPV is up and gates are up, wrestlers make more. So yes, they have a reason to give a gently caress, especially about the Rock coming in and making them more money. Shockingly, your job history does not correlate to pro wrestling.

Guess what, if you aren't in the top three matches on Wrestlemania, you typically do not matter. This year the majority of the build will go to Cena/Rock, HHH/UT and Punk/Jericho. Just like every year a few matches get most of the time because they make most of the money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jabba The American posted:

That man's hands turn into inter-dimensional vortexes around beer. No matter how many he already has, there's always room in his hands for one more.
Reminds me of a fun promo: "The Rock knows right now Stone Cold Steve Austin is sitting somewhere in Texas with a beer in one hand ... And a beer in the other hand."

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Anyone know of a site that has a good history of title belt designs? At least for the main WWE titles (HW, IC), but if it had others too that'd be cool.

On that note: I found a Top 10 Belts article on Bleacher Report, and their #1 belt was...the Spinner. They called it a "trendsetter" for belts to come. :thumbsup:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Require More Fire posted:

On that note: I found a Top 10 Belts article on Bleacher Report, and their #1 belt was...the Spinner. They called it a "trendsetter" for belts to come. :thumbsup:

Eh, don't pay any attention to anything on Bleacher Report. It's basically an SEO farm at this point.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I don't know if there's much of a "history" but this site is neat:
http://www.davemillicanbelts.com/index2.htm

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Require More Fire posted:

Anyone know of a site that has a good history of title belt designs? At least for the main WWE titles (HW, IC), but if it had others too that'd be cool.

Wouldn't the US Spinner Belt be the "trendsetter"? I'm so happy the spinner fad has seemed to have died out making the WWE Spinner belt look so outdated and ugly.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

As I said in the other thread, the wrestlers get paid MORE when business is up. You may work at jobs where there is no incentive to do well, but in WWE if PPV is up and gates are up, wrestlers make more. So yes, they have a reason to give a gently caress, especially about the Rock coming in and making them more money. Shockingly, your job history does not correlate to pro wrestling.

Guess what, if you aren't in the top three matches on Wrestlemania, you typically do not matter. This year the majority of the build will go to Cena/Rock, HHH/UT and Punk/Jericho. Just like every year a few matches get most of the time because they make most of the money.

The wresters bitching remind me of evaluating employees with regards to their bonuses. It should be their goal to raise their performances and stock THROUGHOUT the year so their value increases instead of at the last second to meet a deadline and whine that they really tried ALL YEAR just to negotiate for a buck.

They should be pushing to make their work seem indispensible and increase their value because Mania is the biggest payday of all of those royalty checks. The quality of their work should should make it tougher to justify internally why an individual was left off a 3 - 3.5 hour PPV card.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dead Snoopy posted:

The wresters bitching remind me of evaluating employees with regards to their bonuses. It should be their goal to raise their performances and stock THROUGHOUT the year so their value increases instead of at the last second to meet a deadline and whine that they really tried ALL YEAR just to negotiate for a buck.

They should be pushing to make their work seem indispensible and increase their value because Mania is the biggest payday of all of those royalty checks. The quality of their work should should make it tougher to justify internally why an individual was left off a 3 - 3.5 hour PPV card.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of this sentiment wasn't artificially created by management. What better way to get divert attention from declining business and thus declining wrestler pay than to get everyone pissed at the Rock? You might even motivate them to try and show their value so they don't "lose their spot" or something.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I hope when they replace the WWE Championship, they find a new gimmick for it. My idea is a reversible belt. Just think of all the possibilities! (two)

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I hope when they replace the WWE Championship, they find a new gimmick for it. My idea is a reversible belt. Just think of all the possibilities! (two)

This is giving me memories of those reversible Starter jackets from the 90s that had football team colors in both home and away team varieties and I love it. Give Punk a special belt he only wears in Chicago.

(Okay not really but please get rid of the drat spinner belt already)

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
EDIT: In response to the Rock stuff from up there.

I will always figured Punk was being smart and working an angle with the complaints about Rock. Seems like a smart guy, and it's a smart move.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

When Jericho wins at WM, he'll replace it with a sparkling belt with one of those scrolling LED screens that have customizable messages.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pseudophile posted:

When Jericho wins at WM, he'll replace it with a sparkling belt with one of those scrolling LED screens that have customizable messages.

Nah. 4G touchscreen belt.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah. 4G touchscreen belt.

I, Chris Jericho, have invented the insanely expensive Jeribelt 4G!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That would honestly be amazing.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I've changed my mind. I will settle for nothing less than a belt that has a TV on it, and on the TV is a cartoon of a wisecracking sidekick. Kind of like a ventriloquist dummy, except belts.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'd want to be the champ so I can make my crotch look like Daft Punk.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I've changed my mind. I will settle for nothing less than a belt that has a TV on it, and on the TV is a cartoon of a wisecracking sidekick. Kind of like a ventriloquist dummy, except belts.

Johnny Ace as Max Headroom pontificating from the beltscreen.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

bring on the title reign

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
From WWE Magazine a few years back

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

apsouthern posted:

From WWE Magazine a few years back

...is that a flux capacitor?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Was Kat supposed to show her tits at whatever PPV it was, or was Briscoe supposed to get to her in time and she jumped the gun?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

...is that a flux capacitor?

Yes, yes it is. The best belt. You can travel back in time and help yourself win it.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Orgophlax posted:

Was Kat supposed to show her tits at whatever PPV it was, or was Briscoe supposed to get to her in time and she jumped the gun?

They said at the time that someone was supposed to cover her. Then they did it again at the Rumble with Mae Young.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MisterGBH posted:

They said at the time that someone was supposed to cover her. Then they did it again at the Rumble with Mae Young.
Pretty sure those were fake though. Least I remember seeing a neckline like she was wearing a chest piece.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MisterGBH posted:

I remember reading or hearing that they put fake boobs on Mae Young for that.

^^^Oh sure, the old woman fake boob expert gets here first!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How close were you looking? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Bocc Kob posted:

How close were you looking? :gonk:
It was fairly obvious and plastic looking.