Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely a great point, I just found it hilarious that he created the definition of "cool heel" in the nWo. I literally can't think of a better example of the thing he says not to do.

"nWo looks like a biker gang. Hey let's do a show at Sturgis surrounded by motorcycles! That'll get the heels over! UHHH I mean the babyfaces will get over!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely a great point, I just found it hilarious that he created the definition of "cool heel" in the nWo. I literally can't think of a better example of the thing he says not to do.

Stone Cold Steve Austin

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Moose Bigelow posted:

Stone Cold Steve Austin

I'd say the nWo was better (worse?) at being cool heels. Their gimmick basically consisted of coming out in shades, cutting promos that made babyfaces out to be losers, then beat them handily. At least Austin, while being very entertaining as a heel, didn't completely neuter his babyface opponents.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Steve Austin also lost once in a while.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

Stone Cold Steve Austin

There's a pretty big difference, I think, between a wrestler deliberately trying to be cool or modern or fashionable and a wrestler who is just himself and fans appreciate so much that they make him cool.

The nWo wore black, gang bandannas, worked mob mentality and beat down the supposed good guys forever. During the East Coast vs. West Coast hip hop rivalry, that was a good image to portray (even if it was mostly white guys). Austin was a redneck wearing the most generic tights who simply drank beer and played the rebel. The only thing that could be perceived cool from him was a Rage Against the Machine sounding theme. Austin wasn't pandering.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lone Rogue posted:

The nWo wore black, gang bandannas, worked mob mentality and beat down the supposed good guys forever.

It's kind of funny to me now that the nWo was styled to be "cool" back then. I look back on videos of them now and they look like clueless old guys who are trying too hard to be "hip" by wearing bandanas, glasses, and motorcycle jackets. Their style in fashion has definitely aged terribly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

crankdatbatman posted:

It's kind of funny to me now that the nWo was styled to be "cool" back then. I look back on videos of them now and they look like clueless old guys who are trying too hard to be "hip" by wearing bandanas, glasses, and motorcycle jackets. Their style in fashion has definitely aged terribly.

Scary truth is it worked. The New World Order was cool. So cool in fact that WCW was trying to split them into their own brand. They were being invited to MTV all of the time and at one point you couldn't goto a wrestling show no matter what the company was without 50 per cent of the t-shirts worn being nWo shirts.

But like I said, they tried to be cool. Austin was just Austin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Lone Rogue posted:

Scary truth is it worked. The New World Order was cool. So cool in fact that WCW was trying to split them into their own brand. They were being invited to MTV all of the time and at one point you couldn't goto a wrestling show no matter what the company was without 50 per cent of the t-shirts worn being nWo shirts.

But like I said, they tried to be cool. Austin was just Austin.

I said it somewhere else in PSP, but back in the day you could hardly go out without seeing at least one person wearing an nWo shirt. With that person being neither the "idiot hambeast" stereotype people like to paint of wrestling fans, nor a hipster who wore a wrestling shirt in an ironic fashion. Bischoff really struck gold with that storyline.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Grandpa Pap posted:

I said it somewhere else in PSP, but back in the day you could hardly go out without seeing at least one person wearing an nWo shirt. With that person being neither the "idiot hambeast" stereotype people like to paint of wrestling fans, nor a hipster who wore a wrestling shirt in an ironic fashion. Bischoff really struck gold with that storyline.

It was done so loving well too. There were issues I had with the nWo from 1996 to 1998 (Savage deciding to join nWo for no reason after making himself a free agent and coming out with Sting, Hogan saying no hanger ons like Traylor or Beefcake then bringing in both guys, nWo half assing the idea of creating their own brand, Hennig joining nWo and turning on the Horsemen, etc.) but when you look at the big picture it was an unbelievable storyline that did so much right and was rewarded for it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Lone Rogue posted:

It was done so loving well too. There were issues I had with the nWo from 1996 to 1998 (Savage deciding to join nWo for no reason after making himself a free agent and coming out with Sting, Hogan saying no hanger ons like Traylor or Beefcake then bringing in both guys, nWo half assing the idea of creating their own brand, Hennig joining nWo and turning on the Horsemen, etc.) but when you look at the big picture it was an unbelievable storyline that did so much right and was rewarded for it.

Oh, no doubt. Bischoff definitely learned that although it's tough to get to the top, it's even tougher to stay there over the long run. Especially when staying on top requires you to freshen up an angle that has (up to that point) made you CRAZY amounts of money.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
In 2 weeks some friends and I decided to get together and watch some old wrasslin' for a few hours. We thought it would be fun to draw two years at random and pick out some good stuff to view from those years, great matches, comedic promos, anything that's entertaining. Hopefully this is a success and it becomes a monthly/bi-monthly thing we can do. Anyways this is where I need help, the two years that were randomly selected are 1992 and 2000. I'm trying to stay away from the more popular stuff and go for lesser known gems most of us haven't seen at all or in awhile, obviously the '92 Rumble is a no brainer but I'm pretty sure between all of us we've seen that multiple times. Same goes for the tag team TLC and ladder matches in 2000. Originally I was going to stay away from the big 4 WWF/E PPVs all together but I've reconsidered. So please help me out with some nominations! I'd like to keep it to WWF/WCW/ECW but if there is something from either of those years that absolutely must be seen from another promotion please list it and I'll check it out. So far I came up with the following to consider...

WrestleWar '92 War Games: Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes & Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat & Sting vs. Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton & Larry Zbyszko & Rick Rude & Steve Austin

Judgement Day 2000 Iron man match: The Rock vs. Triple H - I'm a little worried we may get burnt out by this being that it's an hour.

WrestleMania VIII - Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper

SummerSlam '92: Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog

1992 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels ladder match

Backlash 2000: Scotty Too Hotty vs. Dean Malenko

SummerSlam 2000: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit 2/3 Falls

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think Supertape 92 has some cool stuff on it, including a Savage/Bret vs. HBK/Flair tag-match (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I seem to recall the match where Michaels won the IC title from Bulldog being pretty solid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HHH/Cactus Jack from RR 2000.

Maybe watch HHH/Rock from Backlash instead of the Iron Man match as both are very good.

HHH/Jericho Last Man Standing from Fully Loaded.

I promise I did not set out to recommend only HHH matches!

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

nasboat posted:

I think Supertape 92 has some cool stuff on it, including a Savage/Bret vs. HBK/Flair tag-match (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Grudge, Gripes, & Grunts (WF123) according to the Coliseum catalog, sounds awesome though definitely gonna put that in there.

Perry Normal posted:

I seem to recall the match where Michaels won the IC title from Bulldog being pretty solid.

I forgot about this one and haven't watched that in a long time, it's from SNME. I'll prolly do this over Bret/Bulldog as we've all seen it and it doesn't go as long.

oldpainless posted:

HHH/Cactus Jack from RR 2000.

Maybe watch HHH/Rock from Backlash instead of the Iron Man match as both are very good.

HHH/Jericho Last Man Standing from Fully Loaded.

I promise I did not set out to recommend only HHH matches!

To be fair 2000 was HHH's coming out party. The Backlash 2000 match sounds good for time constraints, actually that whole show is awesome. Pretty much what WrestleMania 2000 should have been.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Sting vs Cactus Jack Beach Blast

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Beach Blast 92 has some more cool stuff. Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat 30 minute iron man match.

And Steiners vs Miracle Violence Connection.

GAB92 has Sting vs Vader.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Sting vs Cactus Jack Beach Blast

yeah this should have been my first recommendation :ughh:

So great.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If you want something "different" but still good enough try Starrcade 91 or Starrcade 92. The Lethal Lottery/Battlebowl concept is something that was so original and different for its time people don't touch it for how hard it is to properly execute. WCW just went right into the deep end with it and it produces a wrestling show like no other. It's also possibly the closest America has gotten to accepting Japanese wrestlers as headliners (that and the WCW/New Japan Supershow that followed.)

Starrcade 92 is particularly exceptional due to having the BattleBowl, an NWA World Title match, a WCW World Title match and the finals to the King of Cable tournament.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Wrestlemania 29 is in Jersey next year and I live an hour and a half away. Needless to say I pretty much am hell bent on going. Anybody here been to a Mania? If so, how much did you drop on a ticket? Is it even worth going if you're going to be sitting way up in the nosebleeds?

I generally know that getting tickets isn't hard as this year's show had a ton of tickets still avaliable the night before the show...but basically I'd rather not drop 500 bucks on a seat...

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
It's really all about getting a ticket at a price point you want as early as possible. Check out the ticket tiering so you avoid sitting on the floor but in the way back - those are priced at a premium but actually usually lovely seats because you end up sitting behind people and having to look over/past them to see up at the ring.

Generally I think getting a mid-priced ticket is the best course of action as you end up somewhat centrally located and looking down at the ring but not way up in the nosebleeds. The real key is buying tickets as soon as they go on sale, though, so you end up near the front of your price section and not in the back of it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bearnt! posted:

Judgement Day 2000 Iron man match: The Rock vs. Triple H - I'm a little worried we may get burnt out by this being that it's an hour.

it's a bit slow in the first 15 minutes, but it picks up steam from then on. Plus, it also features some really clever booking and falls in there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why did Mick Foley "retire" in 2000? It's obvious his heart wasn't in it, and it's not like he had very many vacations around that time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Why did Mick Foley "retire" in 2000? It's obvious his heart wasn't in it, and it's not like he had very many vacations around that time.

His body was poo poo

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

Great way to milk pay days from Vince.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Pretty much what bobkatt013 said. And wrestling a match every once in a while since then has done his body no more favors, since it looks like the guy can barely move anymore.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Oh yeah - so what do people like about Sheamus? He's got a great look and a distinctive voice and doesn't poo poo the bed on the mic but 2/3 things he's memorable for have been pretty brutal. That awful tables match he won the belt in for no reason, the post-KOTR one-night gimmick change where he had a wand and a ridiculous helmet, and then he had like a great three-match series against John Morrison.

Other than that he's been basically a whitebread hoss that says "fella" and... I dunno... is generically face-oriented? I'm supposed to care about him why?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh yeah - so what do people like about Sheamus? He's got a great look and a distinctive voice and doesn't poo poo the bed on the mic but 2/3 things he's memorable for have been pretty brutal. That awful tables match he won the belt in for no reason, the post-KOTR one-night gimmick change where he had a wand and a ridiculous helmet, and then he had like a great three-match series against John Morrison.

Other than that he's been basically a whitebread hoss that says "fella" and... I dunno... is generically face-oriented? I'm supposed to care about him why?

He's pale and Irish, is my best guess. I mean I like him better than Dolph Ziggler, but he's just another generic wrestler in a WWE full of them.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Triple H was on fire in 2000. Really, honestly if he didn't have that year, we might not hate him as much as we do. He sat the bar so freakin' high that year. You could go into every PPV in 2000 and expect at least a **** match out of HHH.

The KGB Man
Mar 27, 2010

The danger zone of sweetness.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Honestly Sheamus is pretty boring to me. He really doesn't captivate me in ways that other wrestlers do. And that is not to the fault of him or his gimmick. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that makes me want to watch him for extended periods of time.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

89 posted:

Triple H was on fire in 2000. Really, honestly if he didn't have that year, we might not hate him as much as we do. He sat the bar so freakin' high that year. You could go into every PPV in 2000 and expect at least a **** match out of HHH.

Triple H has bored the poo poo out of me since time immemorial and I honestly don't get it when people say stuff like this. His moveset is boring, his entrances are boring, his mic skills are boring.

I feel that he was a huge beneficiary of working with some of the most talented wrestlers in the business, which made him look far better than he actually was. A lot of his 'greatest matches' were gimmick affairs, too, like Hell in the Cell or whatever.

Not saying he was a poo poo wrestler, he was good, just that on his own, he didn't really do a goddamn thing for me, and he really hasn't done a whole lot before or since.

There's very few folks who were in the main event scene who wouldn't look like a million bucks when matched up against Austin/Foley/Rock/Undertaker/Angle/etc.

I know some people loved him, but Triple H just does nothing for me and I get confused when people praise the poo poo out of him for that time period, as I recall smarks hating the poo poo out of him back then.

Has time changed opinions that drastically?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Too Cool, Rikishi, Mick Foley & The Rock vs HHH, Xpac, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn & Chris Benoit

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Do Triple H and Jonny Ace get on behind the scenes?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Perdido posted:

Triple H has bored the poo poo out of me since time immemorial and I honestly don't get it when people say stuff like this. His moveset is boring, his entrances are boring, his mic skills are boring.

I feel that he was a huge beneficiary of working with some of the most talented wrestlers in the business, which made him look far better than he actually was. A lot of his 'greatest matches' were gimmick affairs, too, like Hell in the Cell or whatever.

Not saying he was a poo poo wrestler, he was good, just that on his own, he didn't really do a goddamn thing for me, and he really hasn't done a whole lot before or since.

There's very few folks who were in the main event scene who wouldn't look like a million bucks when matched up against Austin/Foley/Rock/Undertaker/Angle/etc.

I know some people loved him, but Triple H just does nothing for me and I get confused when people praise the poo poo out of him for that time period, as I recall smarks hating the poo poo out of him back then.

Has time changed opinions that drastically?

Time didn't change poo poo, he was widely and correctly regarded as one of the best wrestlers on the planet in 2000. He was that good.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

bobkatt013 posted:

Too Cool, Rikishi, Mick Foley & The Rock vs HHH, Xpac, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn & Chris Benoit

Why wasn't Eddy in this match, was he just odd man out? And why did DX align themselves with the radicals?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The American Dream posted:

Why wasn't Eddy in this match, was he just odd man out? And why did DX align themselves with the radicals?

The radicls came into WWF and were forced to wrestle for their contracts. They had to win 3 out of their four matches and during eddies match he broke his arm. Then DX (Triple H and Steph) offered them contracts if they attacked their friend Mic.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Nut Bunnies posted:

He was that drat good.

:v:

The American Dream posted:

Radicals aligned with DX to get their contracts, coming in the month before. McMahon-Helmsley Facgime era, so they had the kayfabe power. Eddie was injured from his first WWF match.

I think Triple H just got paranoid when he returned in 2002 - early in 2001 he was still doing awesome matches, I remember his X-7 match with Taker being fairly good, before Taker went into Wrestlemania epic mode, and was kind of stinking it up as the American Badass. He still shows he's got potential to do really good standard wrestling matches here and there, but the age and double quad injury show.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Who was the last first-time world champion who didn't have an undeserving champion gimmick?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Meat Recital posted:

Who was the last first-time world champion who didn't have an undeserving champion gimmick?

If you don't count the ECW (or TNA) title, Christian's couple day World title reign last year was legitimate until he immediately lost the belt. Before that probably Jeff Hardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How much do WWE refs get paid? Theres only what, 5-6 of them? They have to put up the ring and take it down, go on the road to house shows, and sometimes get just as physical as the actual wrestlers.

I mean I doubt they're making 6 figures (well, maybe Robinson) but it has to be pretty good to mess with all that. Though to be fair if I had the ability to be a WWE ref I'd do it too.