Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Minidust posted:

This, definitely. Even during the original broadcast I was thinking "why the HELL is he climbing THAT turnbuckle?!"

My friends had the same reaction. I'd heard that Brock had been able to do a Shooting Star Press in OVW, so I was the only one who knew what he was doing. So I'm marking out, my friends are marking but puzzled--

Then Brock lands on his face. And we all went from mark-out to :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Minidust posted:

This, definitely. Even during the original broadcast I was thinking "why the HELL is he climbing THAT turnbuckle?!"

Yep.

Angle was in perfect position for the turnbuckle nearest to us on the right, but for some reason the big dullard went to the opposite one and nearly killed himself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

Yep.

Angle was in perfect position for the turnbuckle nearest to us on the right, but for some reason the big dullard went to the opposite one and nearly killed himself.

He was probably trying to play for the hard camera.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sometimes with a submission hold, the referee will raise a guy's arm three times, and if it drops then he calls for the bell. Other times the referee just kinda swats the guy's arm, or lets it drop one time and then calls for the bell immediately. Is there any kayfabe reason for this?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I don't think anybody can do a SSP out that far, pretty perplexing attempt.

Also for all the fascinating stuff about WM19, "The Mania of Wrestlemania" doc is a must-watch.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Minidust posted:

Sometimes with a submission hold, the referee will raise a guy's arm three times, and if it drops then he calls for the bell. Other times the referee just kinda swats the guy's arm, or lets it drop one time and then calls for the bell immediately. Is there any kayfabe reason for this?

I would rationalize it as a guy who's still conscious but fading, compared to a guy who's obviously just dead weight.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I don't think anybody can do a SSP out that far, pretty perplexing attempt.

Betcha Bourne could. Little bugger got so much air. I can't remember, was he cut or just suspended after his last bust?

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Betcha Bourne could. Little bugger got so much air. I can't remember, was he cut or just suspended after his last bust?

Suspended for 60 days but he broke his foot in 4 places so he'll be out for a while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matlock posted:

This was via Rajah, but who knows.

Taker also worked the famous HIAC with Mick with a broken ankle.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Taker also worked the famous HIAC with Mick with a broken ankle.

It's insane that the only time you really notice is when he drops down into the ring from the roof. Taker is one tough motherfucker.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Perry Normal posted:

It's insane that the only time you really notice is when he drops down into the ring from the roof. Taker is one tough motherfucker.
Don't forget the time he got SET ON FIRE on the way to a chamber match!:supaburn:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I would read the poo poo out of an Undertaker autobiography.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Wasnt it a broken foot, not ankle? I think remember seeing foley explain that and then saying Taker had to climb up the cage putting his feet into those holes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LightsGameraAction posted:

During one of the promos for one of the HHH-Taker Mania matches, HHH is talking about how tough Undertaker is, and he mentions a time Taker had to wrestle with broken ribs, so he put on a bullet proof vest and went out to wrestle.

A. Is this bullshit?
B. If not, when was this?

It's true, and it was in his feud with Yokozuna.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sionistic posted:

Wasnt it a broken foot, not ankle? I think remember seeing foley explain that and then saying Taker had to climb up the cage putting his feet into those holes

I thought he broke his ankle/hurt his ankle when he dropped down from the cage.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

swoollacott posted:

Suspended for 60 days but he broke his foot in 4 places so he'll be out for a while.

His career might be over after that injury, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Mick talks about it in his book, that Taker had a broken foot/ankle, and either something was wrong with Mick or he just wasn't feeling it, so they decided to fight on top of the cage instead of having a "real" match.

I imagine Taker's foot was taped up pretty tight but still.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Joeslop posted:

Mick talks about it in his book, that Taker had a broken foot/ankle, and either something was wrong with Mick or he just wasn't feeling it, so they decided to fight on top of the cage instead of having a "real" match.

I imagine Taker's foot was taped up pretty tight but still.

Mick's issue is that he hated doing cage matches because he never thought he performed well in them, and that he wasn't the athlete Shawn Michaels was, plus Taker had a broken foot. Then Terry Funk suggested starting the match on top of the cage because he's insane, and Mick went ahead and did it because he's insane too.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Why are arena lights dimmed at house shows but not PPV's or televised events?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Perry Normal posted:

Even after all this time, this image still gives me goosebumps. Like seeing a 747 just loving falling out of the sky.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Drewjitsu posted:

Nah, it was definitely reported before the event that Taker had some kind of injury. Based on the time period I must've heard it from either Scoops Wrestling or a radio show that used to play around here. In any case I recall going into that PPV wondering how or if Taker would be participating in the match.

Then Mick took the first bump with the stretcher job and I was like "welp, that's how they're bailing Taker out of this."

Then they did the second bump and a full-length match after it. :stare:

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

What are some of the biggest examples of people no-showing tv\ppvs?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Sir Jebus posted:

There is this Chris Benoit fellow.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sir Jebus posted:

ultimate warrior during a string of houseshows and a raw in 96 led to him getting fired

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Sir Jebus posted:

Jeff Hardy kept no-showing PPVs for TNA, claiming he "missed his flight" a lot of the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I want to cite Sid and his softball games but I think he only skipped house shows for softball.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Did Scott Hall no-show a significant amount in WCW?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

budreck posted:

Lighting costs money.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Jebus posted:

When Austin bailed in 2002, they had been promoting a storyline where he was the CEO and Vince had to be his personal assistant or something for the night. The panic rewrite of that Raw somehow resulted in Vince beating Ric Flair in a match for 100% ownership of WWE, neutering the brand extension right out of the gate.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did Scott Hall no-show a significant amount in WCW?

Sometimes he just didn't show up, sometimes he wrecked his rental car. Either way, yeah, he missed many a show.

Seriously, there was a week where he totaled like 3 cars.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Sometimes he just didn't show up, sometimes he wrecked his rental car. Either way, yeah, he missed many a show.

For most people that was the worst week of their life. For Scott Hall that was Friday.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

While sober. :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

budreck posted:

At PPV, Raw, Smackdown, anything televised etc. the arena lights are up so the viewers at home can see the crowds, because a hot crowd helps to sell the event better to the people watching on TV.

At the house shows nobody cares what the crowd look like since nobody outside of the building will ever see it short of random cellphone clips people put on youtube when something interesting happens so there's no point in lighting them up.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Minidust posted:

Someone correct me if im wrong here but afaik the first one has always been a part of pro wrestling, while the second one is something WWE recently stole from MMA.

Also I don't think I've ever seen the former happen to a heel, or result in a decision.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Perry Normal posted:

I attended this Mania. Seattle was loving flabbergasted. It was readily apparent that Brock had been knocked silly, too. I vividly remember his drunken stumble as the ref raised his hand. We were all thankful we didn't see a guy break his freakin' neck. After that botch, I forgot everything else from the show. Years later I looked up the card and I was amazed that I forgot I witnessed Rock/Austin and loving Vince/Hogan.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Jeff Hardy kept no-showing PPVs for TNA, claiming he "missed his flight" a lot of the time.

One of his no-shows was because he lost his pet snake.

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was watching royal rumble '92
And was wondering who mean gene was talking to when he asked someone to put their cigarette out

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I attended this Mania. Seattle was loving flabbergasted. It was readily apparent that Brock had been knocked silly, too. I vividly remember his drunken stumble as the ref raised his hand. We were all thankful we didn't see a guy break his freakin' neck. After that botch, I forgot everything else from the show. Years later I looked up the card and I was amazed that I forgot I witnessed Rock/Austin and loving Vince/Hogan.

I was at that show and they easily could have made Jericho/Michaels the main event.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

beaverseatwood posted:

I was watching royal rumble '92
And was wondering who mean gene was talking to when he asked someone to put their cigarette out

this is one of my all-time favorite random PPV moments

and yeah, I have no idea who he was yelling at or why he stopped in the middle of the Flair/Perfect/Heenan interview to say something about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Perry Normal posted:

Yep.

Can't ever seeing him do this move ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA