Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love that Raven was banished from Raw, so he had to go to Heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Wasn't a young Damien Sandow one of the wrestlers used for one of the sins that aired?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Does AAA have a weekly TV show anywhere?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Havoc904 posted:

Wasn't a young Damien Sandow one of the wrestlers used for one of the sins that aired?

Yep, Raven broke his fingers after he refused to simply walk away from a match with Rave. Raven punished him for pride. Or something like that.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Heath Slater is going to job to an adorable baby penguin one of these days.

*3/4

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
At this stage the people most successful from Nexus

Daniel Bryan
The Ryback/Skip Sheffield
Heath Slater
David Otunga
Wade Barrett
Justin Gabriel

Who saw that coming (outside of Bryan) after the way Barrett owned his tenure and the main event with Cena?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd put Barrett ahead of Otunga if just because it's clear they're committed to using him regularly and everything.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I didn't really expect Wade Barrett to drop down the card, I thought he was a sure-fire main eventer.

Is he even really that good in the ring, though? I can't remember a single WB match that has stood out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He had one very good match with John Cena during their feud, and a couple good matches with Daniel Bryan. His matches with Sheamus are usually quite good, also.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Seems to me that Wyatt, Young, and Axel have a brighter future than Otunga. Clearly Young just needs to change his name to get a push.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I didn't really expect Wade Barrett to drop down the card, I thought he was a sure-fire main eventer.

Is he even really that good in the ring, though? I can't remember a single WB match that has stood out.

I can think of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TiR98T0UDw

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I completely forgot Young was in the Nexus. Dang. And I suppose, yeah, Otunga seems to be exiting pro wrestling at this stage.

Wade is pretty decent, he's better now, but he's not memorable in terms of wrestling ability. He's still passable, however. I just think he's saddled with a crappy gimmick that doesn't use his potential and not given anything to work with.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Gatts posted:

Daniel Bryan
Heath Slater
David Otunga
Wade Barrett
Justin Gabriel

Who the saw that coming (outside of Bryan) after the way Barrett owned his tenure and the main event with Cena?

Slater, Otunga and Gabriel are way less successful than Wade Barrett. That leaves Ryback and Bryan, the former is good at being gigantic and the latter is good at everything else. You forgot Curtis Axel who's basically on the same tier as Barrett despite having Heyman, being a third-generation superstar, and getting props from the Rock.

He got injured when he was supposed to win MitB iirc, but I don't personally have a problem with Barrett being an upper midcard guy for now. I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a proper push either, but it's not like he's so much better or more over than any of the main event guys that I'm losing any sleep over it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They should use Barrett in the tag division and pair him with one of the hosses they have in NXT. Have Barrett hide behind the guy and split them eventually. The crowds might actually give a drat about Barrett then as "smaller guy abuses big loyal dude" is one of the oldest and most effective tropes in wrestling.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ahh, the Meat Grinder battle royal, that injured a good fraction of the roster.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They should use Barrett in the tag division and pair him with one of the hosses they have in NXT. Have Barrett hide behind the guy and split them eventually. The crowds might actually give a drat about Barrett then as "smaller guy abuses big loyal dude" is one of the oldest and most effective tropes in wrestling.

I'd rather they just make him a mastermind, competent Bond villain. He has lackeys (stable) and he runs the show where the faces have to over-come his rule and he can step down and wrestle them in the ring if necessary. Basically his role as leader of Nexus forcing John Cena into tough positions was good...if they went through with it all the way.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem with this is that off the top of my head only one guy in NXT is significantly taller than Barrett, and he's terrible (Colin Cassady). Wade, like Jack Swagger, is one of those surprisingly big wrestlers. I guess they could stick him with Mason Ryan or Big Zeke (again), but that never seems to work out for anyone.

Gatts posted:

I'd rather they just make him a mastermind, competent Bond villain. He has lackeys (stable) and he runs the show where the faces have to over-come his rule and he can step down and wrestle them in the ring if necessary. Basically his role as leader of Nexus forcing John Cena into tough positions was good...if they went through with it all the way.

Yeah, the dude screams "suave but physically imposing bad guy" and this would be a great role for him. I'm in favour of anything that gets him on the mic more, in any case - just give the dude a talk show where he berates his guests and I'd be pretty happy.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
I think a simple gimmick for Wade would be to make Regal his manager and they can just be snobby British people together. Stereotypes are the most effective wrestling characters (in WWE).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Or you know he could, like, win a match every now and then?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Skinty McEdger posted:

Oh he will win a match every now and then. He will just also lose as many, or possibly more

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Skinty McEdger posted:

If they ever committed to doing anything with Barrett I think he'd be really over. Since the end of his run with Nexus he hasn't been given anything to work with at all. As Nexus leader he had that awesome Bond villain feeling because he was an evil mastermind and he had a ton of stuff to talk about. Since then, they've given him nothing. All his feuds have just centered around him having a series of matches with someone without anything even resembling an angle or a personal issue at play. So even when they've given him promo time (and he's an awesome promo) he has nothing of substance or interest to say so it doesn't help him get over at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gar posted:

I think a simple gimmick for Wade would be to make Regal his manager and they can just be snobby British people together.
When we were enduring all those cringeworthy promos from the Wade/Sheamus feud about Dead Man Down, this is what I dreamed about them doing. Regal turns on Sheamus, Wade tries to act jumped-up and treats Sheamus like trash.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

triplexpac posted:

Oh he will win a match every now and then. He will just also lose as many, or possibly more

I checked out his win loss record for the year on profightdb, and he didn't start off the year too badly with even a win over Orton. Then he won the IC title and his record just fell off the rails. He's currently on an 11 match losing streak going into superstars this week and his last Raw win (ie wins that really matter) was the night after mania,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I really liked Saturn back in the day, but it seems like he's forgotten in discussions of how talented the Radicalz were. Why is that? I always thought he was a great worker.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Other than a really good match with Raven at Fall Brawl and some good matches they had after reuniting to take on the Horsemen and the Filthy Animals, he doesn't have a lot of standout matches.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Remember when Wade Barrett threw Randy Orton down the stairwell? That was pretty awesome. Why don't they have him do crazy stuff like that?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

I really liked Saturn back in the day, but it seems like he's forgotten in discussions of how talented the Radicalz were. Why is that? I always thought he was a great worker.

He didn't do anything at all of note as a member of the Radicalz.

All I can remember is him being managed by Terri. I'm watching WWF from 2000 right now, and even though I'm almost done watching the entire year I can't remember him doing anything since he debuted.

At least Dean Malenko had that match with Scotty 2 Hotty, and also had that weird gimmick where he was a lady's man stalking Lita.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Saturn's done interviews where he says even he doesn't remember a lot of that time period because he was so twisted on drugs.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Halloween Jack posted:

He just got dropped down to Saturday night Jakked/Metal jobberfest so fast, he didn't really have much time to shine. On top of that, I mean, you're in a group with Benoit and Eddie, who are both legit in the top 10 or 15 performers of all time. Put a $10 vanilla grocery-store cake next to a three-layer cheesecake and see which one people talk about more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, all my good memories of Saturn (except Moppy and the Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gredunza) are from WCW.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Minidust posted:

HBK vs. Rick Martel at SummerSlam '92 (Wembley Stadium) is the highest profile one that I can think of. Especially notable since it didn't segue into a face turn for either guy.

Yeah, this is about the perfect example. Both guys played the heel, and the crowd was into it because they wanted to see them murder each other.

Golden Bee posted:

Orton vs Sheamus, Royal Rumble 2011. It turned Orton face though - he'd later feud with CM Punk and the (sigh) New Nexus.

And yeah, this is the problem with running heel/heel matches, especially these days it seems - one guy ends up the de facto face, or nobody cares. As I recall both of these things happened in the Sheamus/Orton match.

Another MitB-related thought: what's held Cody Rhodes back from more success? He looks great, wrestles good to very good matches, is good with flashes of greatness on the mic, and has a second-generation pedigree. Has he just been booked so far into averageness that they don't even want to bother anymore? A face turn coming out of Legacy could have kick-started his career, and at this stage I think it might still do a little to improve his standing. He'd basically be like superior version of the Miz.

As weird as the all-face and all-heel ladder matches are, there are some interesting dynamics in each of them which I hope have longer-term storyline consequences. The ongoing dissolution of Hell No, Swagger vs. Cesaro, Rhodes vs. Sandow - there are some interesting things they could do with these guys.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Another MitB-related thought: what's held Cody Rhodes back from more success? He looks great, wrestles good to very good matches, is good with flashes of greatness on the mic, and has a second-generation pedigree. Has he just been booked so far into averageness that they don't even want to bother anymore? A face turn coming out of Legacy could have kick-started his career, and at this stage I think it might still do a little to improve his standing. He'd basically be like superior version of the Miz.

As weird as the all-face and all-heel ladder matches are, there are some interesting dynamics in each of them which I hope have longer-term storyline consequences. The ongoing dissolution of Hell No, Swagger vs. Cesaro, Rhodes vs. Sandow - there are some interesting things they could do with these guys.

I don't really think Cody's been "held back" from too much success, really. Yeah, he could be up higher on the card, but he is still young and hasn't reached the peak of his career yet. Of course, a lot of it is on WWE's bipolar booking practices though, too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gatts posted:

Daniel Bryan
Heath Slater
David Otunga
Wade Barrett
Justin Gabriel

Who saw that coming (outside of Bryan) after the way Barrett owned his tenure and the main event with Cena?

I am always shocked at where Gabriel ended up. He was one of the most over members of Nexus due to his very recognizable finisher but now he just sits and waits on the perpetually injured Tyson Kidd. Even though I love that tag team, I wish he got slotted in with Kofi after Bourne and at least stayed on TV.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

GB888 posted:

I don't really think Cody's been "held back" from too much success, really. Yeah, he could be up higher on the card, but he is still young and hasn't reached the peak of his career yet. Of course, a lot of it is on WWE's bipolar booking practices though, too.
When a guy is young, talented, not yet at his peak, but probably ready for the main event, that's when they should be grooming him. They are holding him back with lovely midcard booking; it may not look that way because midcard booking is lovely for everybody but Randy Orton.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I recently watched HHH's tribute to Benoit, and in it he tells a story about a young wrestler disrespecting HBK, and Benoit making him 1500 squats over a period of 2 days. Does anyone know who that young wrestler would be?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

I recently watched HHH's tribute to Benoit, and in it he tells a story about a young wrestler disrespecting HBK, and Benoit making him 1500 squats over a period of 2 days. Does anyone know who that young wrestler would be?

I never heard about that one, but on a similar note I remember reading that Daivari tried to keep up with Benoit once in squats and ended up pissing blood.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

he's solid in the ring, never really had a blowaway match or anything but he had some fun matches with Randy Orton during their feud a while back, plus some decent ones with Sheamus.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Thauros posted:

I never heard about that one, but on a similar note I remember reading that Daivari tried to keep up with Benoit once in squats and ended up pissing blood.

Not only that.

Daivari posted:

Now I'm gonna tell you a quick horror story about myself in Europe. Chris Benoit and Rob Conway warm up before the matches by doing free standing Hindu squats. They usually do about 500 a piece. It took them some time to build up to that many. The average person can do about 20 before cramping up. Someone in decent shape can do about 75-100. I wanted to give it a try so I went for it and I did about 400...the last 75 were total crap with me using every ounce of my existence to get back up so I'll say 325. The next day I couldn't even walk! I was so sore and tense in my legs that I couldn't bend my knees past 45 degrees, and as the day went on my range of motion got less and less. Two days later was RAW and I couldn't even bend my legs at all! Don't ask me how, because I don't know, but adrenaline is a crazy thing and I ended up working a tag match which you saw on TV. I hobbled back to the locker room and took a piss and to my amazement it was red. The next day I was in even more pain and sick as hell. I puked about 5 times. I was managing Mohammad and got through another day. Came back to the locker room and my pee was blackish-brown. Like Dr. Pepper. Gave a sample to the doctor and he ran some tests on it and got back to me the next day turns out the red then eventually black was the actual muscle fiber in my legs! They had been broken down so much they traveled into my blood stream got to my kidneys and I ended up pissing it out. That's why i was so sick. Now I feel better after a couple days, just legs are
really sore. And that was my trip to Europe!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
When and how did the "You Suck" thing for Kurt Angle start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Yaya posted:

When and how did the "You Suck" thing for Kurt Angle start?

I think it started out around the time of HHH's return from his quad tear. When Angle interrupted HHH's big return, the fans started chanting "You Suck" to his music. And it just kind of slowly built momentum until the Angle/Edge feud later that year, when Edge encouraged the chants, and it stuck from there.