Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Monkey Man posted:

In the WWF Aki games for the N64, Vince McMahon has a special move called the "Mac Stunner" that's a variation on the Stone Cold Stunner. Did Vince ever try to use this move on WWF TV?

(Also, any finishing move for Vince should just be called "What a Maneuver".)

VogeGandire posted:

Or the "1-2-that's got him, that's it, oh wait no."

Call it the "Total Debacle!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Carlton Banks posted:

Suckas gots to know

Two words: Fruit booty

Deadpool posted:

Can't. That's the alternate title for WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game.

Is "On his chest, two and YAH!!" out of the question?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know some people will disagree with me, but I think Vince has gotten WAY too over the top. I enjoyed his character during the Attitude years. And maybe a few years after that. But just about everything about him these days is far too exaggerated for me, I end up throwing poo poo at my television.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Rogue posted:

GutCheck, Open FightNight and a, "Fans film wrestlers in their regular life and we post it on the show" thing that was scrapped. It was right after this was scrapped that the Impact shows started getting a lot better.

Wasn't it also having 'Impact' live every week during the summer? He gave an interview in the spring where he said something along the lines of "75% of TNA's problem is that 'Impact' is taped instead of live"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never liked WCW selling the space in the middle of the ring to advertisement, I found it incredibly distracting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have a metric buttload of signed photos of myself with wrestlers from the days I used to go to (and work at) USA Pro shows on Long Island back in 2001-2002. Chris Candido, Tammy Sytch, Chris Chetti, Balls Mahoney, Mikey Whipwreck, Simon Diamond, Low-Ki, Little Guido, Crowbar, Nova, Blue Meanie, Kid Kash, Big Dick Dudley, etc.

And of course...

KEN SWEEEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEYYY!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fifteen? Try eight.

Wrestlemania VI was in 1990, their second match was Halloween Havoc '98.

EDIT: Beaten, of course. And Warrior could never really go anyway.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Charles Wright count? He didn't wear a mask as Papa Shango, but the make-up was extensive enough that you would never know who was under it. I believe it went Papa Shango, Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine, Kama Mustafa, the Godfather, the Goodfather, the Godfather.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

If I remember correctly, they were going to have Michael McGillicutty win it but he cut that legendarily terrible "Genesis of McGillicutty" promo and an audible was called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Y4y0XBKUM

Edit: I might be off here but that promo is worth watching again.

Holy poo poo, I actually had to keep pausing that, it was that painful. I had never seen it before.

Also, someone in the last few pages referred to Smackdown in 2005-2006 as the "Tatanka show" and my question is...what the gently caress? I had no idea he had come back at all, much less gotten that big a push. This is a thing that really happened?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah, he came back during the Rumble, and most people (I at least) thought it was a one night deal but then he got US title matches and 10 minute promo videos about his vision quest and all this stuff.

Did he at least have his awesome entrance theme from that Wrestlemania album?

TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO! TATANKA! BUFFALO!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Regarding David Arquette's run in WCW, what was with his face? He had two black eyes and bruises all over in almost every appearance. Was it make-up or did he somehow keep catching elbows and poo poo with his face because he was inexperienced?

EDIT: Also, completely unrelated, but Gregory Helms comes off as mentally challenged in interviews. It may just be his accent, but what was amusing when he was the Hurricane just seems like he has a speech impediment at the very least when he's speaking as himself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

whatsabattle posted:

...I wonder if I could get some money out of Feinstein for a shoot.

Are you a thirteen year old boy?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Man-Thing posted:

Stupid question, but does/did anyone in wrestling wear a cup? It seems like they couldn't (and the nature of their work means it isn't totally necessary), but still, I would want my jimmies unrustled.

I seem to remember an episode of Nitro where Luger wore a cup to prevent a woman (possible Miss Elizabeth?) from kicking him in the junk.He immediately took it out with a smile to show the crowd, so she kicked him again, then rubbed the cup in his face.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't Hogan lose clean to Lesnar at the Smackdown where Brock beat the poo poo out of him, then smeared Hogan's blood on his chest?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Think you can take me? Well, go ahead on. It's your move.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't forget to carry around a metal folding chair to keep tripping over.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Charles Wright count?

The Soultaker
Papa Shango
Kama "the Supreme Fighting Machine"
Kama Mustafa
The Godfather
The Goodfather
The Godfather
The Pimp Father
The Godfather

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Kronik, there's also the late Brian Adams.

The American Ninja
Crush (Demolition)
Crush (Hawaiian)
Crush (Japanese "sympathizer")
Crush (outlaw biker)
Brian Adams (rest of his career)

EDIT: poo poo, I just realized that you were asking for wrestlers who kept coming back as completely different characters, to the point that it wasn't apparent it was the same person. Sorry.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always liked the fact that they brought out witnesses for weeks and months that saw "someone with blonde hair" and not "someone that's 500lbs and probably can't fit behind the wheel of a car"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LordPants posted:

Was there really a DQ in a no DQ match in WCW?

I'm fairly certain this happened on an almost weekly basis from the time Russo took over in late '99 until the end in 2001. Often in matches during which the commentators were bragging how "You'll never see lame DQ finishes like in other companies/on that other channel"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Really loving weird derail, guys

How did YOU find it?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Only one of them hurts when you hit a woman in the vagina with it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shiki Dan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0boZ8aREEEU

This...just any of this or all of this.

I've had a morbid curiosity about what Jeff's band sounds like...and now I hate myself. Does he actually use that as his entrance theme in TNA?

And how the gently caress do you pronounce that?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's so terrible and yet I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO IT! WHY?!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Quantrill posted:

This is his current theme (it's better?): http://youtu.be/SgC_MsErvJ4

Hahahahaha, gently caress you!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not to mention that with 'House' or any other regular TV show, there's an off-season that lasts three or four months, plus breaks for holidays and such. Even if Cena is only on 'Raw', that's still fifty-two weeks straight every year with no interruption, every episode being at least 25% HUSTLE, LOYALTY, RESPECT. With the exception of being out with an injury, during which he'll still show up for interviews, video packages, etc, he's just constantly on loving television.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I've been dying to know the context of this picture.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sticklefifer posted:

I'm reading about some title histories, and noticing that when WWE has unified a few titles along the way, for some reason they've gone with the one that has a lesser lineage. A particularly weird example is the Tag Team titles. They had just unified the World and WCW tag titles less than a year before they started up the WWE tag titles. Then when they unified the World and WWE belts, they went with the WWE titles which have far less history. Likewise the WHC title has no lineage to the WCW/Undisputed title, despite still using the Big Gold Belt design.

For a company that's so big on pointing out its rich history, why would they deliberately discontinue title belts with so much more lineage? It's not a proprietary thing; the World tag titles were WWWF original title belts and covered all the 80s WWF tag wars. It's not a case of "absorbing" lineage, because official title histories show them as being discontinued, and there's precedence for title revival: The US title was absorbed by and later split off again from the IC title while officially keeping its NWA/WCW lineage.

If I'm not mistaken, they were using the NWA/WCW lineage for the World title between 2002 when it was handed to Triple H and 2004 when Benoit won it. After that, the lineage "started" when Eric Bischoff created the title in 2002.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nut Bunnies posted:

Punk's promo was absolutely Russo-esque SHADES OF GREY/IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER stuff, it just wasn't horrible garbage.

It's the main reason why I think the angle didn't succeed, really.

Really? Not the focus shifting to Triple H and Kevin Nash arguing over a text message?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vince is apparently unwilling to sell any storylines that would keep him off television anymore if the ratings dip.

Speaking of which, how in the gently caress does the kayfabe power structure work anyway? You've got Vince as the CEO, Triple H as the COO. Lauranitis was VP, but who was the P? There's also a board of directors, or maybe it's shareholders? There's a GM for each show, then it's a guest star every week, then one of them is anonymous, then it's a midget with a laptop, then there's the acting GM, but no permanent GM. And where is the Commissioner in all this? Not to mention finding out who took over the role of Sheriff after Austin left.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Oh God What posted:

Well, Johnny Ace was only the VP of Talent Relations, not the whole company.

But who was the P?!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pneub posted:

This is just another example of the inherent scummyness of wrestling, what with all these influential guys being best buds with someone as evil as Funaki.

InDEED...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRanTer posted:

I believe he had a pyro malfunction the day before.

So between that and Triple H's dry ice burns, it looks like the stage crew were pretty pissed off at both guys in that match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Austin's "Psycho" theme when he was heel in the Alliance was my favourite theme of his. Fit his persona at the time to a T.

This is a bit of an obscure example, but Triple H actually had a remixed theme in late 2000.

He was a babyface for a while, having told Stephanie not to manage him at ringside anymore, feuding with Kurt, palling around with Foley and such. He used My Time still throughout this era. But then he revealed himself to be the mastermind behind Austin being ran over, turning heel again. Once he did that, they gave him an instrumental version of My Time. It's also very similar to his theme by Motorhead.

Ignore the stupid intro on this Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zw_2CloPPI

Isn't this just the theme he had after leaving DX at Wrestlemania XV but before it turned into "My Time" during 1999? He may have gone back to it, but I'm almost sure "My Time" started out as this instrumental before lyrics were added.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Web Jew.0 posted:

I like when Hulk Hogan cups his ear with his hand and pretends he can't hear the crowd.

What?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Arn is the best. He wasn't even mad about the nwo parody until he saw how upset everyone else was.

I thought he was upset about the fact that they made fun of his problems with alcohol, especially considering the fact that his father died from complications due to alcoholism?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All of it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I may have asked this once before at some point, but it's still driving me loving crazy. I specifically remember a WWF/E PPV from the mid-to-late 80s where all the wrestlers entered the arena through glass tunnels because of all the fireworks and sparks that were being fired during their entrances. I thought it was WrestleMania V, but I was recently proven wrong about that. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Honestly, I think it was purely an alliterative thing. Whoever came up with "Cyber Sunday" must've gotten one hell of a raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It seems the entirety of the Road Warriors' career in WWF/E has been Animal looking for Hawk's replacement. There was Crush, Droz, Heidenreich...I'm sure I'm missing a few.